Start by marking “Fat Chance” as Want to Read:
Fat Chance

Fat Chance

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  10,570 Ratings  ·  670 Reviews
Meet Zoe and Greg Milton, a married couple who have let themselves go.

Zoe was a stunner in her high school days, but the intervening decades have added seventy pounds, and removed most of her self-esteem.

Greg's rugby-playing days are well and truly behind him, thanks to countless beers and fast food.

When Elise, a radio DJ and Zoe's best friend, tells them about a new compe
Published October 7th 2014 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fat Chance, please sign up.
Rahma No, it's not. It's a normal novel - words and all...no images, sadly.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
When Zoe's best friend Elise is heading up a program on the local radio station called "Fat Chance" she gets talked into forcing her husband Greg to join in with her. The grand prize after all is 50,000.
So starts their journey.

This book is told from two view points in journal form. Zoe and Greg are supposed to document their struggles as they go. I think this couple was done is such an awesome way. I think the romance between them should be the norm in books. They weren't cheesey and they comple
Joanne Sheppard
May 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I bought this book because I wanted something light, easy and funny to read when my concentration was completely destroyed by a two-week bout of illness. It’s not a genre I often read, but I quite like John O’Farrell, Nick Hornby and Helen Fielding, who are good at writing warm but gently satirical domestic comedies, and that was the kind of thing I was looking for. Plus, Fat Chance is about a couple who enter a ‘Biggest Loser’ style weight loss competition, and trust me, I know all about gainin ...more
Jules
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jules by: Leigh
The husband and I fancied something quite lighthearted to listen to during our six hour car journey home yesterday. This was a great choice, as it had us giggling and chatting about similar things we've done when it's come to trying to lose or maintain our weight.

You see, we're both very different in our approach. I focus on chewing my food well, eating very healthy, rationing chocolate, and walking, but not overdoing it when it comes to exercise, due to having ME/CFS. My husband on the other h
Dani Jade
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 - 3 stars, ish.
Nancy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun read. It showed a great deal about the author's understanding about human nature and the struggle that many people have with their weight. Parts of it were hilarious.
Siv30
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reality-show
אחד הספרים המצחיקים ביותר שקראתי. חבל שמידי פעם הסופר לא מתאפק ומנסה לחנך את הקוראים בעקרונות הדיאטה והספורט. ממש חבל, הוא היה צריך להתאפק ולהשאיר את הספר כשני יומנים אוטנטיים. הרי אף אחד לא כותב ביומן האישי שלו מידי פעם על עקרונות הדיאטה והספורט לחיים טובים ונכונים יותר, נכון?

הספר בנוי כשני יומנים של זוג נשואי, זואי וגרג. שניהם שמנים ומשתתפים בתוכנית ראליטי רדיופונית בשם Fat CHance, שבה הם עושים דיאטה והתוכנית עוקבת אחריהם. הזוג המנצח יקבל 50 אלף פאונד.

מעבר לראיונות ברדיו, צילומי חוצות וקידום מ
Alaina Meserole
This book was hilarious! I absolutely love Fat Chance.

First off, I will admit that I was very hesitant to dive into this book. I had a feeling it might be another terrible version of Bridge Jones where the main character constantly complains and only talks about herself being fat.. like all the damn time. Turns out, my assumption was completely wrong.

Fat Chance is about a wonderful couple who gets asked to join a competition to lose weight. What do they win? $50,000 dollars. Or was it pounds? E
G.J.
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
A nice easy read, at times really funny.Of course you could argue that it is full of silly stereo types but sometimes it is good to just not question, roll your eyes and just move on to the next page. The characters were likeable and the story line fun, after all almost all of us at some stage in our lives had tried to lose weight!
Victoria
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is actually not the first book that I have read with this title - but it is certainly the first book that I have read that is basically a The Biggest Loser-remake. Zoe and Greg have been a couple since college and since then, have let themselves go more than a bit. Together, they join a radio-station-sponsored competition to lose weight. The book is light in tone and pretty funny at times. It is always rather exciting to read something that qualifies as “chick lit” when it has been written ...more
Cai
Sep 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, english
While the book does address some important topics - Western society and its fat phobia, as well as institutional classism where healthy foods and exercise opportunities are limited to those with higher incomes - it also falls into "let's make fun of the fat guy because he's fat" cliches.

All of this, however, is completely eclipsed by the in your face sexism, blatant homophobia, and your occasional pinch of racism. It's hard to actually pay attention to anything the author is trying to say or do-
Lisa
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
A funny and entertaining read but it was a bit too sweary and crude for my taste.
Tony
Nov 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Massively disappointing. The story is thin and weak, and the similes employed made me groan out loud. The characters are stereotypical yet just not believable.

Admittedly, this wasn't helped by a very poorly voiced audio production, read I believe, by the speaking clock. Or her sister. Mind the gap. And the male voice was a step away from stating ‘cor blimey guv’nor’ at the end of each sentence.

Beep Beep Beep.
Kathy Cunningham
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Nick Spalding’s FAT CHANCE is definitely a funny, irreverent, and politically incorrect look at being fat in the 21st century. Zoe and Greg Milton are an overweight thirty-something couple who agree to participate in a radio show’s weight loss competition – they will go up against five other couples to see which one can lose the highest percentage of body weight in a six month period. The story is told in a series of alternating diary entries, so we get both Zoe and Greg’s take on being fat, die ...more
Quirky Omega
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little shocked with how well this one turned out to be. Yeah that sounds so horribly condescending but in my defence I was having a really terrible luck at randomly picking up books.

Fat chance totally blew my socks off. Not literally because you know it's hot now and I don't think my sweaty and smelly feet would be a rage at all. But you get my point right?
The book has got fantastic humour and a really sweet romance. It isn't a romance primarily but whatever little it had, pleased my bo
Kat
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a 2.5
I liked the idea of the plot and most of the writing but found the mention of forced sex in a comedy sense offensive. When did it become the norm for that to be funny?
Despite this I will read more books from this author

Thanks goes to net galley and the publishers for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Samantha Tonge
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, laugh-out-loud moments in this novel. And two main characters to care for. Huge fun.
Jaclyn
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Zoe and Greg are an overweight couple who join a radio show weight-loss competition in hopes of getting back down to their college-years' weight and in winning the 50,000 pound (this book is set in the UK) prize. The story is told in the form of diary entries from Zoe and Greg, with each alternating chapters.

I didn't care for this book, but from reading other reviews it appears I could be alone in that. While it was a light story and a pretty easy read, I found the characters and parts of the b
Angie
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was...It made me uncomfortable too many times. Not “books are supposed to push our boundaries” uncomfortable. That’s the good kind. Fat Chance was the other kind – the kind that makes you wince a lot, the kind that makes you feel awkward and a little wrong because you know it’s sort of a mean thing you’re witnessing.

The Good:
Plot
– the idea is solid. An overweight couple agree to a weight loss contest competition through a local radio station to win big money. Lose weight and win cash?
Karyn Niedert
Okay, to start with, I have NEVER laughed so hard in my life as I did through the first 71 pages of Fat Chance. Nick Spalding started this book with an overweight couple entered into a radio weight loss contest, and ran with it. Man, I have to say that by the time the book got a little more serious (about page 125) Hubs was going to have me institutionalized due to the fits of spontaneous giggles which erupted quite frequently!

Zoe and Greg are a middle aged, typical couple who have packed on m
Lonneke van Toigal
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
There are one or two very mild spoilers - nothing really gives the plot away though.

I learned sometime ago that relying on the Top Sellers list (for Kindle, on Amazon) is not a good place to look for my next read. I assume that for a short period of time, a book receives some spotlight on the website, and sells lots of copies (relatively speaking) thus explaining a momentary peak in ranking. What keeps it up there, however, are folk like me who assume a book is good because it's being sold often
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Summary:Meet Zoe and Greg Milton, a married couple who have let themselves go a bit.

Zoe was a stunner in her college days, but the intervening decades have added five stone, and removed most of her self-esteem. Greg's rugby-playing days are well and truly behind him, thanks to countless pints of beer and chicken curry.

When Elise, a radio DJ and Zoe's best friend, tells them about a new competition, it seems like the perfect opportunity to turn their lives around. Fat Chance will pit six hefty co
Elaine
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Zoe and Greg are taking part in a six month long reality radio show called Fat Chance where six overweight couples compete to lose weight with a prize of £50,000 to the couple that loses the most. The story is told by the diaries that Zoe and Greg complete for the radio station over the six months and alternates between each one.

I really liked Zoe and Greg. They are a normal every day couple, albeit one that uses the F word a lot, and very easy to like. We all know
Riley Vermilya
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: brews-books
Zoe and Greg were buff and beautiful when they first met, married and then life happened. They stopped caring and let their bodies turn into overweight blobs of their former selves.

It takes an embarrassing small chair and green dress episode to trigger an extreme desire to overcome their sedentary and poor nutritional ways. I have to admit...I was laughing and found the visuals amusing AND have had similar scenarios with my own fat self.

Elise enters the picture to save the day. She is Zoe's be
John Braine
Aug 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, audiobooks
With most books that I don’t enjoy, I can still appreciate the writing or see why other people might enjoy them - and I just think this isn't for me for one reason or another. But now and then a book will come along that I just think is utter shit, and this is one.

This was a daily deal on audible.com and I think I had heard of it before. So I nabbed it. It’s basically “Carry On Fatty”. Let’s all laugh at fat people. That’s it. And it’s just not that funny. The writing is fairly mediocre, the sim
Leah
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Last year I read the first of Nick Spalding's "Love" series, Love From Both Sides and I thought it was HILARIOUS. Seriously, seriously, proper funny with one of the most gross out scenes in a book I have ever read (and which, remembering it now, even beats out Greg's foot blisters in this book, yuck and yuckier). So I was really chuffed to see he had a new book due out called Fat Chance, and even happier when I spotted it on Netgalley during August. I downloaded it immediately, loving the blingy ...more
Ginni Brinkley
Mar 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was already ignoring the liberal sprinkling of the f-word and the very crude description of Zoe and Greg in a cupboard, but I don't and won't ignore the misuse of the "retarded". More review later when I've simmered down.

Here’s my review from Amazon (added to GR on 4.11.17): So, Fat Chance...

It's not just the use of the word "retarded" (of which more later) I didn't like, to be fair. The second page made crude reference to the main couple having sex in a cupboard at school, and it's liberally
Marilee
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Briefly, I enjoyed listening to this humorous book about a chubby couple who enter a radio station weight loss contest. Towards the last third or so, it got a bit preachy and pedantic about what works for weight loss and what doesn't. This is a humorous book for the most part, with some laugh out loud moments at the absurdity of dieting competitively. But towards the end, when the story starts to evaluate what works and what doesn't, it bogs down. It's not that sensible observations are bad, it' ...more
Alisa
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
A nice, easy read, a good plot, likeable characters, often amusing, occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, but some scenes are just too ridiculous to be funny causing you to roll your eyes in annoyance instead. On the whole, a good read, even if it is packed with cliché after cliché and recommended if you just want something light and easy and a bit of a laugh now and then.
Angela
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I read this.
Renee
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but not as funny as some of his other books

Fat Chance is about Zoe and Greg, a couple who have let themselves go in the weight department during their marriage. Enter in the inciting event. The radio station where Zoe's friend works has a biggest loser style competition for couples and convinces Zoe to enter.

What follows is a series of alternating point of view chapters as first the couple goes into some of their embarrassing moments from being to fat to the various gimmicks they try to los
YA Buddy Readers'...: Fat Chance, by Nick Spalding - starting May 8th, 2018 13 7 May 22, 2018 07:06PM
Ultra Omega Burn is relly burn body fat 1 3 Dec 28, 2017 01:05AM
Books, Wine, and ...: September - Fat Chance 1 6 Aug 29, 2015 07:15AM
  • Hal Spacejock 2: Second Course
  • Valhalla (Lexy Vaughan & Steven Macaulay #1)
  • Hamish and the Worldstoppers (Hamish and the PDF, #1)
  • Reality Ends Here
  • School for Scumbags
  • What Might Have Been
  • Salvage Merc One (Salvage Merc One #1)
  • Single Woman Seeks Revenge
  • The Five Keys to Mindful Communication: Using Deep Listening and Mindful Speech to Strengthen Relationships, Heal Conflicts, and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Love on the Lido Deck: A Nautical Romantic Comedy
  • The Outlaw Takes a Bride
  • The Truth about Sharks and Pigeons
  • Doodling
  • Dream Year: Make the Leap from a Job You Hate to a Life You Love
  • Bad Mothers United
  • Glorious: A Novel of the American West
  • Starlight Detectives: How Astronomers, Inventors, and Eccentrics Discovered the Modern Universe
  • Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World: Whatever the Game — Dave Takes on All Comers!
Nick Spalding is an author who, try as he might, can't seem to write anything serious.

Before becoming a full-time author, he worked in the communications industry, mainly in media and marketing. As talking rubbish for a living can get tiresome (for anyone other than a politician), he thought he'd have a crack at writing comedy fiction - with a very agreeable level of success so far, it has to be
More about Nick Spalding

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Birth House
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Open City
    $12.99 $1.99
“How on earth can we ever expect our society to get thinner when no-one is making any effort to make the healthy food cheaper than the toxic, fatty stuff that’s creating a nation of tubby fuckers with too many fillings? The” 1 likes
“Why do people automatically think that because you’re carrying extra weight you don’t feel the cold? I’m not a fucking walrus. My blubber is not that beneficial when it comes to staving off cold temperatures.” 1 likes