Start by marking “The Rousing” as Want to Read:
The Rousing

The Rousing

When unwelcome stranger Jack Pembroke arrives in Darcy McShane’s rural coastal village, the last thing she anticipates is falling for him, but a deadly storm, a night of unrestrained passion and the rousing of an ancient Irish myth conspire to change her life irrevocably.

From the authors of The Becoming Trilogy, The Rousing is an adult romance novella, set on the wild coas
Published April 13th 2014 by Raven and Black (first published April 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Rousing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rousing

KathyAnne
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great novella from the authors of The Becoming Trilogy! This is a stand alone short story that is a good choice if you're looking for a bit of paranormal/erotica to fill up a couple of hours of reading time. Well written, engaging and takes place in a wild and stormy setting off the coast of Ireland.
Darcy and Jack create some pretty good steam together! The mystery surrounding the Irish myth kept me guessing. And, I like it when we get a taste of the old fashioned nasty vampires. You know, the
Dalila.
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I received the book through Goodreads First Reads.

This book is totally different from the stuff that I usually read but I'm glad that I did,
Raven & Black really know how to write a good book with an interesting story I very much enjoyed Darcy's character is very interesting but Jack is my favorite My Overall Enjoyment 5/5
I recommend this book You will be surprised how good it is.
Wendy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little twist on the Vampire myth

Irish Vampire legend of A woman, Dearg Due who has some sort of curse against the Pembroke Men. Her grave is on the Pembroke estate. When old Mrs Pembroke dies, Darcy is the Estate agent and Jack Pembroke returns home for the first time since he was six years old. His Mother kept him away from home saying she never wanted him to return.

That is the premise of their story, of course a terrible storm hits town while Darcy and Jack are at the Mansion, they get c
Liz Meldon
Before I get too far ahead of myself with this review, enjoy a reaction gif:
description

Now that that's out of the way, let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I haven't read anything from the author before, but I was lucky enough to find an advertisement for a free copy on my Facebook dashboard. I'm so happy that someone decided to spread the word, because I never would've found it otherwise.

The writing itself was spectacular. I found it easy to slip inside the story, and the styling made it a real
Donna
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was given this book by the Authors for an honest review........

Wow!!! Raven & Black sure know how to write a great story...even a novella! I wasn't sure how this would go but even for a novella these ladies do a great job! Most novellas that I've read are usually short on details because you only have so much that can be included, but this one is a jewel!
If you love anything about Irish Myths then these ladies are a must read for you. I love how everything just flows in their books.

The s
Delta
Jan 04, 2015 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delta by: BookGorilla.com
Free 01-04-15 (PNR: Vampires)

Becky
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ok so I've read the trilogy years ago and the "prequel" really didn't do it justice according to my review of the trilogy. Somewhat cheesy, some Irish "folklore", romance, vamps, but just a weird little read. Maybe I'll go back and read the trilogy, maybe it wasn't as great as I thought it was after reading the prequel. Very little descriptors of Ireland no real secondary character build ups and just insta lust/love in again a weird somewhat disjointed kind of way. Free read
Sam
Ann Geffert
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Full Book.....

...as far as the story goes, but it could have been much longer! I can only imagine that "The Summoning", a continuation of "The Rousing", but focusing on Darcy's brother will tell more of Darcy and Jack's story. I am going to start reading it right now. I do wonder if the authors plan on continuing with these characters, making it a series, or trilogy even?

I hope so, the premise is quite interesting. They could perhaps find a way to settle the score with the girl who became a mo
Ashley
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vampire with a vengeance

It was okay. I never read a book with vampires never, so gave it a try. Still not my cup of tea.

Darcy is turning bitter because if her past. Then her brother Liam, tells her live it up. Then she meets a mysterious woman, who will reappear later.

Darcy goes to talk to a new home owner and what they want to do with house. Her and Jack have the hots for each other right away. Due to a bad storm, they give in. But, then that woman shows up and all things go badly.
Michele Adams
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I am so not a sci-fi book reader but I have to say this was pretty good for a short story.

The story is a sci-fi, sexual romance. I could see this as a series and this being an episode. Not sure how it ended up in my collection - if someone suggested it or if it was a free one from amazon but I am glad I read it.
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
The story itself was ok. Estranged son comes back after his mothers death to a home tied to a lot of local folklore. Jaded real estate agent goes to look at the house and gets entangled in sed folklore. The biggest issue I had were the sexy scenes...some of the wording used just made it incredibly unsexy and seeing as how these were big sections of the story I just couldn't get past it.
Dena
Strange

This was definitely a strange prequel to a paranormal series. I'm wondering how they became vampires I mean in the logical sense. Can they have babies? Wow Darcy really came out on top.
Kathleen
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Novella so of course everything happens faster. I would have liked to known Jack better, interesting character but really could have been so much more. Story was predictable but enjoyable I'll get the second book.
Breanna Eichhorn
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Paula Black and it most definitely will not be my last. It's a very well written story. The characters were very well developed and you couldn't help but feel connected to the characters.
Holly Bargo
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good novella

Black deftly and economically embues the characters with three-dimensional personalities in this steamy novella which hurtles at breakneck pace and concludes with the promise of an HEA. Yes, it's a case of instalust, but it's well written.
lesley dawn wallace
The rousing

The rousing is a great read it's a little crazy but a real page turner all the same a must read
Flo
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
seems like young adults book
Arie Antonia
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next book in the series
Robin
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abrupt and too fast. Needed more backstory and character development.
Kathy
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Rousing review

This book was pretty good although I felt that they could've developed the story more if they gave more details on the folklore about the house she was selling.
Jessie
This book is laugh out loud ridiculous! It's a short read and the plot is.. Well ridiculous.
Lorna
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great novella from these two authors and dying for more. They know how to mix Irish legend with a rousing storyline, he he. Keep up the good work :)
Carol S Talbot
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

Brought me to excitement. Well written and gripping. my kind of novel. would love to read more like it too. I enjoyed the details of the intimate scenes as well.
Kay
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow

This author definitely nailed every inch of myth, Irish legends and romance! I could not stop reading until the end. Looking forward to reading many of her novels.
Hydra M. Star
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting take on vampire mythology. Wish there was a little more to it, but there is a follow up book that hopefully goes more into the mythology and backstory of the location.
Gela
May 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
Free on amazon 5/17/15
Diane
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
wow... this novella was surprisingly witty, engaging, gripping, steamy hot, and creepy. It was worth my time and more than I paid!
Roberta
This is an OK book taking place in Ireland. It's a short quick read about vampire tales
nicola
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good

The story was short, but good. Maybe a few more details about some of the characters would be nice to have. It was good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Incorporeal (Soul, #1)
  • Love Your Entity (Entity, #3)
  • Night Moves (The Night Songs Collection Book 2)
  • Blood in the Stars
  • Unscathed
  • Vampire King of New York
  • Hunger Revealed (Vampire Hunger, #1.5)
  • Quicksilver Dreams (Dreamwalkers, #1)
  • The Fall
  • Euphoria (Duality, #2)
  • Vampire Next Door
  • Far From Heaven
  • Sunder
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Bitten (Bitten, #3)
  • West of Want (Hearts of the Anemoi, #2)
  • Charmed Spirits (Holiday, Montana, #1)
  • Stolen Gifts (Gifts Series, #1)
  • Fearless (Bird of Stone, #2)
I am Paula Black, one half of the writing duo Jess Raven and Paula Black, authors of The Becoming Novels, a paranormal romance series set in Dublin Ireland.
Books one, Becoming Red, two, Becoming Bad, and three, Becoming Blood, are available now on Amazon in kindle and Paperback formats and on Smashwords is other ebook formats.
“blonde walked into a bar. Sounded like a bad joke, right? Except nobody was laughing. A draft of cold air and expensive perfume billowed in the new arrival’s wake. The door swung shut behind her and the ambient noise petered out as all eyes settled on the strange creature invading our Thursday night routine. She wore sunglasses, blood-red lips and” 0 likes
“shuddered. That couldn’t be my life. Outside, I heard the restroom door open, admitting the sounds from the bar, along with a click of heels on tile and a waft of distinctive perfume. Then it closed again, deadening the noise, but that scent lingered. The vamp. I sensed her on the other side of the cubicle” 0 likes