Start by marking “Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You” as Want to Read:
Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You

Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You

God has dreams—just for you
Becoming Myself is a hope-filled book for anyone who wonders if her life will ever change—if she will ever change.In Stasi Eldredge’s most intimate book yet, she shares her own struggles with self-worth, weight, and her past as she shows readers how God is faithfully unveiling who we truly are. Stasi urges you to lay down your past thoughts abou
Published September 1st 2014 by David C Cook (first published August 1st 2013)

Leigh Kramer
Oct 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read Captivating several years ago and while I didn't agree with everything in the book, there were a few sections that greatly resonated with me. For this reason, I decided to try Eldredge's newest book. Unfortunately, I found it to be scattered and confusing. as this supposed to be more memoir-style about Eldredge or a Christian living book? I'm still not sure. It quickly became clear I am not the target audience. Eldredge writes to married women, specifically to mothers, though the book des ...more
Sara Diane
Wow. Let me say it again. Wow.

Stasi Eldredge doesn't pull the punches in this one, and I'm ever so thankful. With such tender vulnerability, she takes us through the journey of accepting the woman God made us to be, and then helping us walk through the door to BECOME that woman. Using her own life examples, Eldredge is likely to connect with just about every woman I know at some level. She gets how we are made, how we think, and she can gently, with a touch of humor, use that understanding to he
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I have read bucket loads of Christian non-fiction books for years now, some are great, some are shocking and some are mediocre, lukewarm at best. Stasi Eldredge's new book Becoming Myself I actually found to be a lovely book and very inspiring. It wasn't a book I read in one sitting, I dipped into it over a few days, taking in a bit at a time.

Not many Christian books challenge me these days as often it's the same basic message, same scriptures and a lot of books can sound very similar. I did pic
Bluerose's  Heart
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was uncomfortable reading this book. It *felt* wrong! There are some things that simply annoyed me, but there were some things that I felt was highly unbiblical. Please use extreme caution if you decide to read this book!

The first part of the book deals with issues our mothers may have caused us to have. The author claims we’re not throwing blame around, but that’s exactly what it felt like to me. She encourages us to figure out imperfections our mothers had during our childhood. She even want
Drew Constance

Quick thoughts: Captivating, Challenging and Promising.

This is my first Christian Non-Fiction that I picked up after coming into my faith. I was so excited. Having seen it around on many blogs and recommendation sites and after watching a video on Cross Walk where she was talking about becoming Myself, I knew that it was the right book for me to start with. I was blessed by Net- Galley to receive a free copy to read and review, but upon my first Shop at the Christian Bookstore in my town I had
J
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-in-2015
I have staggering low self-esteem issues that color basically everything I do. I figured I'd try to read some books that might help. This struck a chord in me somewhere deep down and offered me things I didn't realize I needed. I should read more books like this.
Carol
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EVERY woman needs to read this book......I leave it at that! SO freeing..............
Laura Langley
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drawing from her own weight loss battles, author Stasi Eldredge describes the struggle for lasting change in her new book, "Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You."

Eldredge reminds readers that transformation is a process God uses to "heal our inner world so He can transform our outer world." She also says God is "in the business of setting us free, making each of us into the woman He always wanted us to be. The woman we always wanted to be."

As she leads readers through a variety of issue
Kristine
There were parts of this book I loved and there were parts of this that made me uncomfortable. However, with discernment, I definitely recommend it as a solid read to spark questions about the influences in your life and what you can do to become more Christlike and thus more yourself.

The most beneficial sections for me were definitely the beginning in discussing the impacts mothers have on their children, especially their daughters. It made me think about things in a different but healthy way.
Leah
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Stasi Eldredge's Becoming Myself mostly keeps women readers in mind, but really, this book could benefit anyone of any gender or chronology beyond ten years old or so. It's from Christian publisher David C Cook, and I feel Christians ranging from conservative evangelical to the more theologically and socially liberal mainline can relate to Becoming Myself. I expect to read this book a few more times (yes, it was that good, and that helpful!), and I'd encourage women - and guys, too - from ...more
Jencey/
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-studys
Are you your best self? This is the question asked by author Stasi Eldredge in her book Becoming Myself. Another way to ask this question is do you know what is keeping you from becoming yourself?
Stasi’s purpose is to help people who are suffering in bondage to sin. They need to find freedom to be the best of who they are. The book has fourteen chapters which divides into eight sessions with the accompanying study guide. You can also get the DVD to help with group discussion if including others
Renada Thompson
Years have passed since I read Captivating, but this book summoned similar feelings of qualified optimism. I can't point to anything wrong with the book's message, yet something prevents me from swallowing it completely.

Near the end of the book Stasi says that the "It Isn't All About You" strain of Christianity gets it wrong because Jesus died to save us, so we must matter. What we think about and "name" ourselves matters. A few pages later, though, in the Daily Prayer, she writes to God, "This
Christa Hardin
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so truly vulnerably written. I gleaned the wisdom from its pages as best as I could. I enjoyed the advice about fears, dreams, women's issues and annoyances with each other and parents, and our children, and just everything. I struggled with her concept of "soul ties" and after researching her source, found a link to less scholarly new age mysticism. Rather than "throw the baby out with the bathwater," there is still a good point there, despite the strange aside. Anyway, the point ...more
Regina
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't agree with everything in this book, but there was a lot I gained from it as well. I think it does everyone good to step away from service to others for a time and simply focus on yourself. In the past, I've always felt that was selfish, and to be honest I still feel uncomfortable doing it. But in recent years, it's only when I've stepped away from serving others for awhile that I've been able to really see the Lord doing great things for ME. To be clear, I still make it my mission to se ...more
Rachel
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the honesty and intimacy of this book. I listened to it in my car, and it felt like I was having a conversation with the author. Stasi brings authenticity to her writing by her reading, and her intentions--helping women to see their own beauty--shine through. Also, I found myself laughing out loud at her examples, and sometimes cringing with familiarity, too. The book feels fresh and personal.
Teressa
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book! I read this book along with a Hosea bible study by a different author and it was truly amazing how they paralleled one another! Becoming Myself covers a range of topics that could've effected one's sense of loss identity but I can attest that it certainly was a tool the Lord used to help me uncover mine and to be comfortable as a woman in my own skin.
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
This book is not as powerful to me as her first, captivating. It lost me at the pages on pages of talk about hormones and explanations of the cycles of life and biology lessons. I need more scripture right now, and this was not the right time for me to read this one I guess. I appreciate the chance to read though.
jenn2.0
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldnt-finish
DNF about half way through. It just stopped speaking to me and wasn't giving me anything. The first half did encourage me to begin thinking about myself in a more positive light and not fixate on my physical appearance- which was good and helpful but beyond that I stopped feeling any encouragement from it so leaving it unfinished.
Lauren
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A vast improvement over her first book, "Captivating". Her message is clear and true and her examples are authentic and vulnerable. Women who are seeking healing, freedom from sin and their true identity in Christ will benefit from reading this book.
Josie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is AMAZING! I feel like it and Brene Brown's Gifts of Imperfection should be part of every young woman's education into womanhood. This feels like an owners manual I should have been born with. There is a chapter on hormones that should be copied and given to every girl on the planet once she gets her period. There are just so many little gems in this book I can't even begin to explain how great this book is.

I have a few books that I reread every so often just to remind myself and bec
Elisha Baker
This book was okay. Honestly, I didn't like it for about the first 6 chapters but stuck with it because we're reading it in our ladies group. For me, it doesn't work as a study book; it's more of a memoir of what she has experienced and how God has used those experiences to shape her. I disagree with some of the thing she says (soul connections when thinking about others, "going back" into the womb to deal with mom issues, etc.) I'm glad I did stick with it because there are many good reminders ...more
Sarah Piper
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Such a good book. It started a little slow but I easily fell in love with Stasi and her writing. Tons of highlights and even a few page markers to easily flip back to. Definitely a reread.

"The possibilities for you are limitless! Maybe not for tomorrow but for your life."

I love the overly Christian message with so much modern relatable messages and topics. Great read for women of ALL ages!

Best message of the entire book: "Christianity is not a promise to enjoy a life without pain nor to be giv
Michelle
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was very good and insightful. My absolute favorite from Stasi Eldredge is Captivating but this is a good follow up.

I listened to the audio book and would not recommend that. I didn't care for Stasi's reading of her book. The tone of voice wasn't as refined as a professional reader and the cadence didn't flow as well as it could have. I judge I would have enjoyed the book more if I would have read it instead of listened to it.
Karla Perry
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ladies, read this book! It's an incredible sequel of sorts to Captivating. Stasi takes us into her own heart and struggles to draw the treasures out of our hearts and souls. She does so with intimate grace and truth. She has great insight and wisdom on the struggles specific to being women. Her love for women shines brightly as she helps us navigate through to freedom.

Truly read this book and buy it for other women in your life.
Rachel Boothby
I got a lot out of the first few chapters, which I think (from skimming the rest), gives a good overview of her perspective. I really liked how she affirms that our identity is in Christ, not our weight. Some of the theology in the later chapters was different from my own. But overall, it was refreshing to be reminded that God loves us right now, where we are.
Denise
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am still chopping through this book, as one machetes through a rough patch of jungle. I am finding myself disappointed, as I have gotten much meat out of John's books. Reading this book seems like more of a peek into Stasi's therapy sessions or opinion column rather than a well-formulated encouragement to women to become that unique person in the Kingdom of God.
Lauren Matthews
I’m in the minority, but I struggled with this book. The first third I felt I couldn’t relate to at all. I dreaded reading. The middle section I loved! These chapters were on fear and friendship, and they were insightful and amazing. And then the end was another struggle. All in all, not my favorite bible study.
Megan
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
There were parts of this I really liked ["Becoming a woman of worship", "Becoming a woman of faith", etc.], but other parts I never saw coming that I didn't think matched the rest of the book/didn't make sense in their placement [talking about menopause at length, suddenly and without warning??].

Overall, there were a few gems to glean out of it, but I preferred Captivating by a long shot.
Cherie J. McClain
This one is a home run.

I absolutely couldn't put this book down! Not only is Stasi an amazing writer, she's so comical. You'll definitely understand that God is working in your life, your entire lifetime, not just here and there. She explains that so well. Looking forward to reading some of her other recommendations.
Yuko Tan
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice and simple

Good meditations of our DNA in God, simple and easy words to understand and get reminded of what we tend to forget in life.

Would have loved for more dwelling on “how to become”.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You by Stasi Eldredge 1 9 Apr 06, 2015 09:44PM
Marvelous 1 3 Mar 12, 2014 01:33PM

• Beautiful Outlaw: Experiencing the Playful, Disruptive, Extravagant Personality of Jesus
  • You're Made for a God-Sized Dream: Opening the Door to All God Has for You
  • Pursuit of Proverbs 31
  • You'll Get Through This: Hope and Help for Your Turbulent Times
  • Grace for the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life
  • Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God
Stasi Eldredge loves writing and speaking to women about the goodness of God. She spent her childhood years in Prairie Village, Kansas, for which she is truly grateful. Her family moved to southern California back in the really bad smog days when she was ten. She loved theater and acting and took a partiality to her now-husband, John, when they were friends in high school. Stasi earned her bachelo ...more
“He made you you - on purpose. You are the only you - ever. Becoming ourselves means we are actively cooperating with God's intention for our lives, not fighting him or ourselves.” 21 likes
“We can be satisfied. We are loved, wanted, seen, delighted in, provided for, cherished, chosen, known, and planned on. We are set apart, believed in, invited, valued, of immeasurable worth, and blessed.” 20 likes