Start by marking “The Piggy in the Puddle” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  342 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
See the piggy,
See the puddle,
See the muddy little puddle.
See the piggy in the middle
Of the muddy little puddle.

And so begins this rollicking story-in-verse about a determined young pig who absolutely refuses to leave her mud puddle—much to the dismay of her family!

Charlotte Pomerantz’s tongue-twisting nonsense verse—made even more exuberantly hilarious by James Marshall’s
Published April 1st 1974 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Piggy in the Puddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Piggy in the Puddle

Jim Erekson
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best read-aloud ever! James Marshall was at his best. I loved playing with prosody in this one to help people talk about what the characters were trying to do.
Lauren
I think I remember this from my own childhood?
Eme87
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
One of my favorite read alouds both to read and when I was a child, to listen to my father read!

The baby pig LOVES the mud and has no desire to get out of the muddy puddle. Each family member attempts to lure her out and tells her why she should get out but each time she definitively says NOPE!

The rhymes are fun and sing-songy and the story line is straightforward. This is a great book for teaching rhyming or just practicing rhyming as well as just fun to read.
Shari
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
A tongue-twisting gigglefest in the spirit of HOP ON POP. Sister Piggy will not get out of the mud puddle to wash even when compelled by her mother, father, and brother.
Ebookwormy1
This book was amusing. But by far, the best part was my fellow home school mom's reading of it! She gave the different characters different voices and demeanor and had the kids laughing and filling in words as she went. It was clearly a crowd pleaser in their household.

The rhythm of the book reminded me of my husband reading Dr. Suess, which is also as much of a performance as a read. However, I personally don't do well with presentation of this style - I guess I'm just not goofy enough. Luckily
Tayler Bingham
Pomerantz, Charlotte, and James Marshall. The Piggy in the Puddle. Aladdin Paperbacks, 1989. Print. Poetry. This book explains the tension between a high class family of pigs and the rebellious child who likes to "muddle in the puddle." What will they do? If you can't beat them, join them! This book is written in verse, and some of the phrases in the book don't really make sense to any reader. Luckily, the illustrator ensures that through pictures, every confusing phrase is depicted in an unders ...more
Beth Dufraine
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: Saw it on Reading Rainbow
Shelves: 5-stars
This fun story about a disobedient piggy that doesn't want to get out of a muddy puddle, reminds me of the Dr. Seuss books.
Charlotte Pomerantz's tongue-twisting silly verses combined with the hilarious illustrations by James Marshall are sure to delight both children and adults.

After seeing this book showcased on Reading Rainbow and how much my kids enjoyed it, as well as myself, I had to get it.
This silly little piggy became one of my youngest daughter's favorites. She used to ask for it by say
Kristin Lee
This is a cute tongue-twisting poem. The little piggy does not want to stop playing in the mud puddle even though his mother, father, and brother want him to stop. In the end, the whole family decides to jump into the mud puddle and play with the little pig. This reminds me of when children are outside playing in the rain even though they are being told to come inside, they still choose to stay outside.
Samantha
Tongue-twisting verse about a pig in a mud puddle and how at first her family disapproves, but then lets loose and jumps in to join her!

Full color illustrations by Marshall add to the humor with pigs all dressed up in proper clothes while enjoying the mucky mud.

Good read aloud, but one that will require lots of practice on account of all the tongue twisters (think Fox in Socks, though not quite as tough).
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childrens
My 3 year old absolutly loves this book.
I am to read it to her, over and over and over again, which to my pleasure I enjoy doing so.
It is extremely cute and sing songy.
She loves to say..."Oofy Poofy NOPE"

luckily she still uses soap

Wendy Daniel
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis-4700
The number of rhymes in this story is fascinating. The phonological awareness is evident in how many fun rhymes and clever iterations there are throughout the story. There are many different ways for these kiddos to enjoy making these sounds with adults. I especially like to read this book with children ages 2-4 years old. They particularly love the fact that the piggies love the mud and do everything to avoid the soap!
Heather
This book is all about silly rhymes and rhythms. My kids love this silly piggy! We've read it countless times.

I don't much care for the naughty piggy who doesn't listen to her parents, but my kids don't really ask my opinion about stuff like that.

A fun book to read with your little ones.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Crackling with lipsmackingly silly rhyme and hilarious James Marshall illustrations, this book is like read aloud popcorn — I bet you can’t stop after just one page.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Jen
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I love this book. I read it in a compilation book, but I think it would be so much better with the full size illustrations. The rhythm is so fun, I find myself saying lines at random times. Here's a great one...

"See her dawdle, see her diddle/In the muddy, muddy middle/See her waddle, plump and little,/In the very merry middle"
Caranna
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
"See the piggy in the puddle, in the very muddy puddle. See her waddle fat and little in the very, merry middle." This was one of my favorite books as a child and find myself quoting it often to my own children, "Ooshy, Squooshy, Ooshy, Squooshy, what we need is lots of soap!" However, I haven't ever been able to find a copy to actually read to my children.
jacky
Natalie walks into storytime and says "excuse Mrs A, Pig on that book." sadly, she had already read it to we took it home. NOT what i was expecting or I wouldn't have offered it as a bedtime choice - too long and hard for me to read cold upside down. But, read under different circumstances, its fun, repetitous word play.
Tome Reader
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my kids over and over. It's a fun sing-song, rhyming book that must be read with expression. It's so much mooshy-squooshy fun to read.

The dad needs a dad voice.
The uppity mother needs an uppity voice
the brother pig needs a snotty kid voice
and the piggy in the puddle needs her sweet voice.

Hasn't anyone watched it on Reading Rainbow?
Erica
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be the most delightful book I've ever read aloud. It's got such a perfect rhythm and cadence that, once you untwist your tongue and can get through it in only a few breaths, it's like you're chanting a messy, muddy, piggy-full shanty.

I used to read it to my younger niece when she was a tiny tyke.
Janelle
Sep 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When I read it the first time I thought it was a bit much- a little too wordy. But I found myself quoting it and I have checked it out from the library a few times. It is so fun to read aloud, especially once you get comfortable with all the words.
Hannah Vincent
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is seriously my favorite children's book of all time. I loved it when I was a kid and I love it now. The story is whimsical and easy on the ears (best read aloud) and the illustrations are beautiful.
Anne
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read this with my nursery school kids (after not having read it in years).
They LOVED its silliness and its rhymes....and yesterday we had a huge mud puddle and they remembered pohrases from the book and were using them on the playground!
Sondra Caserio
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This one was actually my moms favorite one to read to us. She checked it out from the children's section again and again. And since I loved being read to by my mom, it became a silly favorite of mine as well!
Katie Jackson
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
The piggy was in the puddle and everyone told her to get out. She was dirty and needed a bath but she refused. She liked being in the puddle. Soon everyone in her family joined in and jumped in the puddle. They all liked it there even when Piggy told them they needed baths.
Elaine Davis
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my daughters favorite book. It is a tongue twister for the adult trying to read the book but the sequence of words kept my daughters attention all the way through, over and over and over again. She loved the piggies in the mud puddle.
Elizabeth
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad read this to my younger sister back in the day, oh how I loved that each of the characters had their own voice. Now that I am the parent reading to my wee ones, the story is just not right without the voices and everyone yelling together, "Nope!" Love this book!
Beth
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I loved, loved, loved this book! So much fun to read aloud:

See the piggy,
See the puddle,
See the muddy little puddle.
See the piggy in the middle
Of the muddy little puddle.

Really cute book. And I liked the message: loosen up and just enjoy the mess every once in awhile.
Kristy
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haley's favorite book of all time, and thus, my favorite book of all time too. I used to be able to recite it by memory, and I hope to be able to do that again soon. I never knew a 3-5.5 month old could love books so much!
Wendy
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is one that my parents would read to my brothers and I when we were young. Then quote it on and off even now! "Squishy Squashy oofy poofy nope!" This is one that kids will enjoy listening to and you will enjoy reading. Lots of fun!
Emily Augustus --Louisville KY
This is a cute book for farm theme. My students like the silly pig and the silly rhymes.
Amy
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite read-aloud book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud
  • Bat Jamboree
  • Perfect the Pig
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • Hogwash!
  • Little Mouse and the Big Cupcake
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Read to Tiger
  • Don't Forget the Bacon!
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
  • Ella Takes The Cake
  • I'm Not Scared!
  • Digging Up Dinosaurs
  • The Neighborhood Mother Goose (Ala Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
  • My Little Sister Ate One Hare