Start by marking “Unholy Fire” as Want to Read:
Unholy Fire

Unholy Fire

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
John “Kit†McKittredge is a young Federal officer from Maine who is terribly wounded in one of the first battles of the Civil War. Still unfit for active duty after nine months in hospital, he is recruited by an unorthodox colonel named Valentine Burdette to work in the Provost Marshal General’s office in Washington.

The beleaguered Capital, now swollen to seven times
Published April 4th 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Unholy Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unholy Fire

Sharla
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me reading even though it was nightmarishly graphic and often unrealistic. Overall I think the historical aspects have been portrayed accurately. Joseph Hooker, especially, is portrayed realistically. Personally, I don't think Lincoln made "mistakes" in appointing generals. I think he simply didn't have good options early on. Kit's superhuman feats are too much. Maybe the most unbelievable thing for me was that Kit at twenty-one and during war time could have still been a virgin. ...more
Suzanne
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book is long and boring. Nothing really happens until the middle of the book. It gets better, but fraud in military procurement? Could you have picked a more boring plot? Then the epilogue seems like it should be part of an entirely different book. I recommend skipping it.
Stef
I am not usually a mystery book reader, but I was recommended this book and I love history I thought I would give it a read. Right off the bat I have to say that I really liked the style that this book was written in. It doesn't start out like a detective story, and it never really feels too much like a hard boiled mystery. The mystery plays a part in creating the atmosphere of a historical fiction set during the Civil War. Our narrator, Kit, has played his part in the early battles but has ende ...more
Jean
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who likes historical fiction
(Audible; Patrick G. Lawlor, narrator) This is excellent historical fiction about the narrator's experiences in the Union Army during the Civil War, a war I generally avoid reading about unless Abraham Lincoln figures large. The background fabric is Lincoln's inability to find a decent general to lead the Army of the Potomac. The narrator, Kit, badly injured in a battle, becomes an opium addict, and this addiction--feeding it and treating it--is one of the plots. He becomes an investigator in th ...more
Marissa
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2015, college
I loved it! It was fast paced, lots of actions, there was some crime solving. The characters! Val, Hathaway, Hooker, Amelie I loved them all, they were all interesting! I thought I wouldn't enjoy this since it's a civil war book, but I enjoyed it. The parts when Kit had to go through physical ordeals, I liked the description it felt like I was there and seeing it happen. I loved the epilogue!
PJ
Oct 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
This novel should be regarded with the highest praise and honors from a elementary school writing competion. The characters and situations are "novel-y" and unbelievable. Skip it.
Miriam Krainacker
Meh.

Just - meh.
Wendy
THe audio version of this book was excellent. I kept listening non-stop. What a great way to learn history. The story of corruption during the Civil War was fascinating. Sadly, little has changed.
Sue
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Civil war fiction is probably my favorite genre. I have met this author; he's married to a friend of mine. Also wrote "Stonewall's Gold."
AJ
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this book very much. It had a good plot but I just dont like mystery books. I would not rate this book very high.
Luckngrace
Another great Civil War story, examines Yankee soldiering, dangers presented from friendly troops as it applies to Yankee racism, war profiteering, prostitution. Well worth your time.
Monica
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Monica by: Book Addicts Anonymous
If you don't mind frequent trips to the dictionary, this is a great read!
Barb Radmore
Interesting look at the Civil War meshed with a detectitve story
Mary
Olga
Jan 18, 2008
Feb 25, 2008
Robert Mrazek
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie
Oct 06, 2014
Mitch
Jul 13, 2016
Daruma
Jul 28, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Jan Mrazek was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing the 3rd Congressonal District on Long Island for most of the 1980s.

He was born in Newport, Rhode Island, but grew up in Huntington, New York. He graduated from Cornell University in 1967. In 1967, he entered the United States Navy.

Mrazek was elected as a Democrat to the 98th United States Congres
More about Robert J. Mrazek...