Start by marking “Troll Mountain” as Want to Read:
Troll Mountain

Troll Mountain

(Troll Mountain #1-3)

A dauntless young hero.
An army of brutal monsters.
An impossible quest.

Journey to the mountain …

In an isolated valley, a small tribe of humans is dying from a terrible illness.

There are rumors, however, that the trolls of Troll Mountain, the valley’s fearsome overlords, have found a cure for the illness: a fabulous elixir.

When his sister is struck down by the disease and hi
Published May 20th 2014 by Momentum Books

Baz M
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a great read if you want something fast paced, quick to finish and not too in-depth.
If you're an epic Fantasy buff, this isn't for you.
If you don't normally read Fantasy (like myself) and want a good intro to the genre, this is for you.
While it's written in a YA language format, it carries some heavy adult social themes so I found it easy to connect with.
Great characters, great thrilling scenes and if you commit you could finish it in a day or a weekend.
Tim The Enchanter
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, dnf
I couldn't finish it. This was a YA book written in a straight forward and uncomplicated manner. This is the reason I avoid YA novels. My experience has been that the tend to less complex with simple dialogue. While I was somewhat interested, I was ultimately bored. This is not really a knock on the book but an indication this book wasn't written for me.
Lorraine Southern
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Matthew Reilly and, rather desperate for a 'hit', I thought I'd give this a whirl even though it's YA. It was as fast and as fun as his adult reads and entertained for a few hours - 3 stars just cos it was slightly simplistic, but then it is YA! ;)
Gaby
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for kids... considering adding this to my Literature Circles book collection!
terpkristin
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Audiobook from Bolinda Publishing Pty Ltd
Narrated by Sean Mangan
Length: About 4.5 hours

I've never heard of Matthew Reilly, but apparently he's a fairly big author from Australia. The buzz on the internet (based on other reviews at Goodreads and Wikipedia) is that he's mostly know for action thriller-type books, and apparently his books are well-researched and quite deep. That isn't the case with this book, Troll Mountain: The Complete Novel. That said, I get the impression that his other books a
Ashikur Rahman Bishal
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
superb! my first reilly sland that was outstanding... matthew rocks ;)
Alexander Draganov
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good, but strictly for kids :)
Stef (Noveltea Corner)
This was a fast-paced, very straight forward fantasy quest following our young hero, Raf, as he seeks the cure to his sister's illness hidden within Troll Mountain. It read more on the younger-YA side (could even be middle-grade if you don't mind the troll fighting that goes on). Glad I read it.
Rod
I'm finished with Troll Mountain: finished Troll Mountain in one sitting as always Matt Reilly always treats us to a good tale and shows us his versatility as a writer this tale is no exception i will give it five stars
Glenn
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good story - a recomended read... Some people may not like the simple story, but I found it a good read.

One of my favourite stories
Farzana Raisa
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
আচছা.... ভাই বোনের সমপরকের মত কঠিন সমপরক কি আর আছে? ঘাড়ের উপর দুষট গরহের মত একটা বড় ভাই থাকলে সেই বেচারি বোনটার এতকষনে মাথা নেড়ে ঘোষনা দিয়ে দেয়ার কথা, নাহহ বড় ভাইয়ের মত বালাই আর একটাও নেই।

বড় ভাই কি আসলেই বালাই? দুষট গরহ? জবলজযানত যনতরণা??

হে হে এখানেই হল মজাটা!!! সমপরকের আসল রসায়ন। শত শত অভিযোগ থাকা সবততেও বোনের আদর, অভিযোগের যায়গা।। বোনের ( হউক ছোট বা বড় ভাই মানেই বিশেষ কিছু) ভরসাসথল।

আর সেজনযই তো রাফ ছুটে গেছে টরল পাহাড়ে... নয়তো ছোট বোনটাকে বাঁচানো যাবে না যে!!!!

এতকষনে সবার বিরকতিতে ভরুঁ কুঁচক
Ashley
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful, cathartic read.
We follow Raf on his journey to save his sister. It has all the ingredients of a great fantasy fable with the addition of a lovely moral, one not usual to fantasy.
I really enjoyed it, it was so easy to read and I really appreciated the lessons learnt by the characters along the way. This is amazing for Reilly's first attempt at fantasy in comparison to what he usually writes. Is he simply good at everything?
Hopefully there is more fantasy to come, and hopefu
Stephanie
It was a short read that is better described as middle grade, rather than young adult. It’s a fantasy story about a village who’s people fall ill (to scurvy), and a boy who sets out to find the elixir. It’s prefect for fans of “Rowan of Rin” and “Deltora Quest”.
Liam
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Jen
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I completely LOVE every Matthew Reilly book I have read, which is why I am surprised that I didn't love this one as much as the rest. This wasn't bad, a solid 3 stars, but it moved VERY quickly over parts that could have used a bit more depth.

For example, the abandoned hobgoblin home was discussed in such a way as to indicate that it was rather large and full of booby traps. We get to see ONE trap that was easily circumvented and they were through the place in a very short time, maybe an hour or
Albert
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Title - Troll Mountain: The Complete Novel

Author - Matthew Reilly

Synopsis -

Troll Mountain is a YA novel told in installments about a tribe of Northmen who live in the shadow of the foreboding Troll Mountain. Illness and famine have recently racked their small village and as the disease spreads, they learn that the Trolls hold the cure. A band is sent by the ruling family to gain the cure.
The young man Raf is unique in his tribe and he sees that the ruling class of his village is no better tha
Sam
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading 'The Great Zoo of China' and finding it highly entertaining I was really looking forward to reading this. A fantasy novel with trolls sounded exciting, but I was very disappointed.

I like a good short book, but with this book I felt there could've been so much more. When it comes to Fantasy novels, I expect a long quest and while on this journey the hero has learned lots of lessons and grown along the way. But I didn't feel like this book delivered all of that.

I wanted more world bu
Eliza Duroux
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it

A dauntless young hero.

An army of brutal monsters.

An impossible quest.

Journey to the mountain...

Matthew Reilly has an amazing talent of getting straight into the good stuff. Which is what I believe makes him such a great author.

I loved the book (eBook, technically). It seems to have just about everything! You have Trolls, a form of Goblins, tribes and even hints of civilized "intelligent" who fought wars and traveled by sea. It's a very fast paced book and in fact only takes a day to read, y
Miriam Mathew
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 4 - 15
As an avid reader of Matthew Reilly's novels (e.g Temple, Seven Deadly Wonders), this fell a little flat for me. Actually it fell more than a little flat - it was disappointing. It started off with promise but from then on, the plot was executed poorly. The main problem was with the dialogue and the writing though.

I realize this is YA and that the language would be a little...simplistic but Troll Mountain was just completely dumbed-down. And I know Matthew Reilly could do better - there's a reas
Daniel
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This is quite a different book by Matthew Reilly and that's why I picked it up. Not the usual thriller, but rather a fantasy. The story is rather nice, very much your typical quest fantasy type thing. The hero's sister gets sick and he goes on a quest to get the cure from the Trolls. On his way he does, of course, find some unlikely allies. Matthew Reilly supplies this in his usual fast paced tempo and the, sometimes borderline silly, action scenes that are just beyond belief (and not always in ...more
Celeste
So I understand my shelving may not make sense when you can see I’ve only given it 3 stars. To be fair it’s more like a 3.5 star read but I’m not convinced enough to give it 4 stars. Now I would never willingly read about trolls (because eww, gross) but then it is Matthew Reilly, and I’ve read almost everything else by him so I figured why not.
I wasn’t disappointed! As always his actions scenes leave no time for silly things like breathing or thinking. The map to Troll mountain and their solutio
Catyj
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once again Matthew Reilly shows his adaptability & skill at delivering something new. Troll Mountain is a simple, fast-paced tale of a young man/boy seeking to save his sister & defy convention. The fact the story was released in eBook format only & initially as 3 installments once again shows Reilly's intent to try something new & to expose his work in a new, fresh, self-determined way. I liked this story & enjoyed the romp up & down Troll Mountain. This is clever story ...more
Steve
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I am a frequent reader of the Fantasy genre and also an avid fan of Matthew Reilly's action series'. However, the merging of the two was not what I had hoped it would be. This book read very flat and monotone as if written on a strict middle grade level. The action never reached the fever pitch I have come to expect from either this writer or the genre itself.
This book just doesn't have anything to set it apart and it never pulls the reader in. It's a quick read and for the Young Adult crowd th
Amanda
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very similar hero adventure storyline to The Hobbit, The Talisman and The Dragon's Eyes. Pure but simple fantasy world of when trolls and clans men meet. Think Lord of the Rings meets Clan of the Cave Bear. More a young fiction novel, and a very quick read. Unfortunately I was too busy to read it in one hit but really wanted to.
Jody Moller
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I think this is the first time I've ever given a Matthew Reilly book less than 4 stars. The three part story didn't really even start to hit its mark until part way through the second instalment and even then it never really found its footing, falling into far too many clichés. Advertised as a family-friendly story it perhaps should have been sold more explicitly as a middle grade novel.
Edward
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
it is very rare fir me to rate a book five stars when the average rating is so low. but troll mountain deserves five stars. I suspect a lot of readers were looking for an action thriller like most of Reilly's other novels. this is absolutely not. It is a hero story and a fable. if that's what you're looking for, you'll love it.
Ralitsa  Koleva
БГ ревю: https://bloodyrosered.wordpress.com/2...

That's not the Matthew Reilly I am used with. I couldn't feel him in this book. It was more like a child adventure, than the usual dynamic and wild pace of Reilly.
Manda (The Glittery Nerd)
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, own
3.5

Not quite as engaging as The Great Zoo of China, I found myself a little bored for the first 100 odd pages.

However true to Matthew Rielly's captivating action writing form, the ending kept on the edge of my seat. Yes is was a little predictable but still enjoyable.
Rachel Mckay
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, i found this novel quite enjoyable. In some aspects its just like every other typical Young Adult book, but in other ways its such a refreshing read that i highly recommend to everyone.

See my full review here: https://rachwithbooks.wordpress.com/2...
ChroniclesofTania
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A nice middle grade fable with Trolls, a bad human and a quest for a young hero in it. A fun read.
  • Welcome To Orphancorp (Orphancorp, #1)
  • The Confessions of Noa Weber
  • Off the Mangrove Coast: Stories
  • The Book of Days
  • Rebel Lives: Helen Keller
  • Prisoner of the Black Hawk (The Mapmaker Chronicles #2)
  • The Curious Dictionary (Word Hunters #1)
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • Ironheart (Valentine, #2)
  • A City Called Smoke (The Territory, #2)
  • Secrets
  • Emma Watson: The Biography
  • Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World
  • The Legacy Of Lord Regret (Strange Threads #1)
  • The Traveling Restaurant: Jasper's Voyage in Three Parts (Tales of Fontania, #1)
  • The Cartographer
  • A Curse of Ash and Embers (Tales of the Blackbone Witches #1)
  • Waer
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

Troll Mountain (3 books)
  • Troll Mountain: Episode I (Troll Mountain, #1)
  • Troll Mountain: Episode II (Troll Mountain, #2)
  • Troll Mountain: Episode III (Troll Mountain, #3)
“You don’t like people?” Raf asked. “I don’t like what people do to each other.” 6 likes
“Many humans live their entire lives without questioning the ‘truths’ they’ve been told.” 1 likes