Start by marking “Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany

Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany

(Fancy Nancy)

From the dazzling bestselling duo Jane O’Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser, a picture book with an educational twist for the fancy girl with an even fancier vocabulary.

Fancy words are simply fascinating! Learn how to speak fancy with help from Nancy in this A–Z guide.

From everyone's favorite fancy girl comes an alphabetical guide to enhancing vocabulary. Why say "beautbook
Published April 22nd 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words

Valerie
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As a first grade art teacher, I LOVE the idea behind Fancy Nancy. I am troubled by how young girls are confusing their love of frill with sexiness.I feel that many of the media characters they love and emulate add fuel to this problem. But as a former young girl, I understand the appeal of fancy things.
Fancy Nancy is different from Bratz, Disney princesses, and Hannah Montana. She's adorable and appeals to the pink and pretty aesthetic that girls this age are addicted to. But unlike other
La Coccinelle
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, non-fiction
I really would've liked this book when I was a kid! It's basically an alphabet book for older kids featuring lots of fancy words. Each one is illustrated (with pictures you'll probably recognize from other Fancy Nancy titles, if you've read enough of them) and used in a sentence so readers can get context.

There's not much more to say about this one. But if you like Fancy Nancy and her fancy words, this is probably a book you'll want to add to your collection.
Nicole
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 3-to-5-year-olds
Fancy Nancy usually captivates my 4 year old, but this one was more teach-y than silly. The educator in me appreciates that it teaches great vocab words, and shows that kids don't have to be afraid of long words. However, my girl quickly lost interest in this book because it lacked a storyline, which is of course what makes Fancy Nancy books so...well, splendiferous!
♥Mary♦Sweet♣Dreams♠Are♥Made♦of♣This♠
A words book which feature illustrations from her other picture books.
Sheri
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kids
Who wants to use a boring word like "disaster", when you can use a fancy word, like "fiasco"? This is a fun little book full of fancy words for every letter of the alphabet (with their definitions too, of course!) I can never get enough of Fancy Nancy. The illustrations are always fantastic and she's by far my favorite character to read out loud. My daughter is 8 and should probably start feeling too old for Fancy Nancy pretty soon, but I think she still asks me to read these books to her to indulge ...more
Kathryn
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute book and great way to expand kid's vocabulary! Nancy says that when you add these words into your everyday conversation, it's like "adding sprinkles to vanilla ice cream!" So true :-)

The illustrations are charming, as ever--and that is where the problem arises, in my eyes. I believe all (or certainly most) of them are simply replicated from other Fancy Nancy books, so you won't really get anything "new" here.
Toni Chahine
Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany written by Jane O'Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser uses humor to help enhance children's vocabulary. There are cute pictures and sentences with the vocabulary word in it to show kids what the word would look like in a picture or sentence. First the book defines the word in a humorous way. I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book as well. I rated this a 4 out of 5 because I feel this book is more addressed to a girl. I do not thin ...more
Robert Shupe
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Fancy Nancy series lives up well especially for young girls.
This one does not tell a story but does embrace celebrating language and words. We can never be too old to expand our vocabulary and this book was a fun way to explore that.
The art continues to delight. If you were hoping for a linear story than this is not it but it still serves its purpose I the formidable Fancy Nancy style.
Zariah Walton
This is one of my favorite books! This book teaches students new vocabulary in such a creative way. This book also gives students the idea of creating and using a new word in a sentence. I would definitely use this book in my classroom.
Katie Anderson
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-4
The vocabulary in this book is amazing. This would be great for younger children learning vocabulary.
Karol
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love words! This book shows words in their fabulousness with interesting and bright illustrations and in sentences using chosen magnificent words.
Brittany
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice a to z alphabet book for any kid who's fashion obsessed. My daughter loves these books.
Amanda Johnson
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute story. I read this to my preschoolers and it was fun to introduce them to new words, especially words that are "fancy". The girls love Fancy Nancy.
Melissa Namba
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnamba
I have a niece who I know will love this. I can see her incorporating these words into her daily conversations.
emyrose8
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exquisite words in this collection. I’m not a major fan of Fancy Nancy, but she does a lovely job adding fancy words to readers’ vocabularies!
Lashaunda Brown
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fancy Nancy
Nancy uses fancier synonyms to replace commonly used words

W.6.5 With some guidance and support from peers and adults, develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach

Focus: Vocabulary-replacement/synonym mini lesson
Step-by-step:
1. Read a few pages to the class; because this is alphabetic arrangement and not plot arranged, any pages can be chosen even at random
2. Ask students: What in
Shelley
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Summary
Fancy Nancy wants to share all of her favorite fancy words from A to Z. Fancy Nancy presents classy and clever words to say things in a much more exciting way. She introduces words such as "accessories, dapper, excursion, glamorous, nestle, parasol and even xenophile!" Increase your vocabulary while having fun and feeling fancy with Nancy!
My Rating
4 stars
Rationale
This was my first time reading a Fancy Nancy book. I've seen Fancy Nancy books many times in my library and see the girls at school ch/>
My
Christina
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
little girl didn't like it as much as I thought she would. granted, its basically a dictionary for fancy words so I shouldn't expect her to get too excited, but she does love using her "fancy" words once in a while and it impresses those she uses it upon.
Alyssa Pierce
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
The first thing that comes to mind is that there is so much vocabulary within this book. There is a fancy word for every letter of the alphabet. The best part of this is that each word is defined by Nancy; her personality shines through every definition. Not only that, but her personality is clear simply through the words that she chooses to include in this book. From glamorous to “Ooh la la!”, the words in this book are very fancy. I think my favorite was dapper; it is a fun word that is not us ...more
Caroline Siewert
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another book in the Fancy Nancy series. In this book Nancy teaches the readers all the fancy vocabulary she knows. She has a fancy word for each letter of the alphabet. In her favorite words she not only teaches the readers new words, but the illustrations also show what they mean. This book can be used to teach kids that using fancy words like Nancy does in their writing can make what they are saying more impactful and interesting. This book can be used as an introduction for a writing lesson f ...more
Claudia
What can you say about Fancy Nancy? Stupendous! Exquisite! Fanciful! Girl with panache. I love her sense of self and her ingenuity. I love how much fun it is to read her books. I love the fussy details in the pictures. Kaiti and I have such a good time poring over the pictures, checking out all the details that add depth to the story.

This glossary actually recycles some of the pictures from other books but we don't mind -- we remember the original stories with affection.

Fun series,
Katherine Corson
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lcrt
Fancy Nancy uses what our classroom calls sparkle words! This means that the writer Jane O'Connor uses words that are interesting instead of boring words. So our classroom read the Fancy Nancy Books to see how we could try to use sparkle words in our own writing. We made a Fancy Nancy Word wall with sparkle words that we would want to use in our writing. The outcome was amazing and my kids are trying on using sparkle words in their own writing.
babyhippoface
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fancy Nancy introduces young readers to new, fancy words with simple sentences that define each word in terms kids can understand. The detailed, colorful watercolors and word inclusions like dapper, excursion, fiasco, nestle, and zany and make this a terrifically fun ABC book and a great vocabulary-builder. As Nancy says, "After you read this book, your vocabulary will be gigantic! (That's fancy for really big.)"
Christy
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular, picture-book
From everyone's favorite fancy girl comes an alphabetical guide to enhancing vocabulary. Why say beautiful when there are fancy words like gorgeous and glamorous? Instead of hello, try bonjour, which is French and so much fancier. An umbrella will keep you dry, but a parasol will make you feel like a Hollywood movie st
Ashley Wampler
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet
I love the Fancy Nancy books! This one is particularly cute, because it goes through the entire alphabet from A to Z but instead of your usual "A is for Apple", it uses new and creative words to keep kids attention. It is very useful for interactive read alouds because you are able to ask the children to guess what they think each word means.
Nicki
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My daughter really likes this book. It's a fun way to introduce vocabulary.

My only internal dilemma with Fancy Nancy books is that I worry that they emphasize girly princess ideals too much. However, my daughter is a girly girl regardless of the books I let her read, so if she connects to the book and learns in the process, I'm all for it.
Shannon Clark
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-reviewed-yet
A very "fancy" way of bringing some awesome words to life. From ACCESSORIES to ZANY, you're sure to know Fancy Nancy's favorite words by the end of this one.

My co-worker read this one to his 6th graders (under the ELMO so they could really see the pictures), and then they went on an "excursion" (that's from the E page!) around the school. How fun! So glad I get to copy him! :)

Sidney Chumbler
This book is a list of fancy words from A to Z. This is a great alphabet book for young readers like from 4-8 who want to expand their vocabulary and learn new words that start with each letter. The best part of this book is that each word is used in a sentence and the picture explains the sentence perfectly.
Somona
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Author: Jane O’Connor
Illustrator: Robin Preiss Glasser
Publisher: HyperCollins
Genre: Picture Book - Alphabet
Summary: A fancy kid’s thesaurus. My favorite would be O is for ooh la la! Is fancy for look! How wonderful!
Response: I’ve become a fan of the Fancy Nancy series. I think this would be a nice way on introducing new words to children/
Themes/Concept/Connection: ABC’s, Thesaurus
Emorie
This book is oh so fancy! I do like how this book offers new vocabulary words for students and shows them in sentences. I know girls may really like this book, but I don't think the male students in a classroom will. This book is extremely focused for girls. But, it is cute, funny, and Nancy is so glamorous.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ella the Elegant Elephant
  • You Are My Miracle
  • I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
  • Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 59 books)
  • Fancy Nancy