Start by marking “Family Inheritance” as Want to Read:
Family Inheritance

Family Inheritance

The dark, impenetrable bayous of Louisiana are filled with secrets that can never be revealed and mysterious forces that can never be understood. Nightmares live there. Jessica LeJeune left Louisiana, but she brought some of those mysterious forces with her--and now she's being called back to her Cajun roots to confront a destiny she could not escape and a curse she might ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Family Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Inheritance

Kathy Davie
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, suspense
A story of horrific suspense.

My Take
I almost couldn't continue reading this story because of that damned sparrow! LeBlanc did an amazing job of forcing me to race through the pages. I just had to know what would happen to Eli, if Jess would save her brother, if she could figure out what was torturing her, could Maikana be defeated…argh, too many things happening for which I needed a conclusion!

It's a simple story but one fraught with so many possible endings and then that tease at the end...I
Kelly
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
People assume because I’m a reviewer in this genre that this is all I read. Not so. I could drop names, titles and such to impress you, but I don’t need to, nor do I care enough. All you need to know is that whichever book I pick up, I pick up for one reason and one reason only – awareness. It doesn’t even matter what category people place it, it’s all about finding a slimmer of knowledge. This book, while placed nice and neat into the horror category, could very well fit anywhere. How? Simply t ...more
Melissa Helwig
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Jessica LaJeune returns to her hometown when her brother, Todd, is admitted to a mental institution. She has the ability to heal people by touching their forehead and is hoping to heal Todd. But he is infected by Maikana, a powerful demon who inhabits people and drives them mad. Meanwhile a rausant (a Cajun healer) who lives deep in the swamp, dreams of Jessica and is desperate to find her. Will their healing power together be strong enough to destroy Maikana?

The plot of Family Inheritance is on
Daniel Russell
Jessica is having a great day. She’s just been promoted at her firm, had a celebratory barbecue with her colleagues and her husband’s business is on the rise. Then why can’t she shake the bad feeling?

Eli is a simple man, lived his life in a shack in the bayou. Being the rasaunt, a healer, he’s seen his fair share of suffering, but nothing compares for what is to come.

A chance meeting between the two decades ago leaves their fates tied, and only together can they defeat the spirit of madness who
Erik
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
First time author Deborah LeBlanc brings the backwoods of the Louisiana bayou to life with her novel, "Family Inheritance." From the first page through the last, the reader feels like a first hand witness to the chain of events experienced by Jessica LeJeune, our heroine whose journey is about much more than attending to her institutionalized brother.

Over the course of "Family Inheritance," the reader makes the acquaintance of so many whimsical and colorful characters, including Eli-a backwater
John Bruni
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This one's a bit iffy in my opinion. I didn't like many of the characters. Luckily, the two most important ones, Jessica and her brother Todd, were cool. I tuned the others out, for the most part. I also liked how LeBlanc tried something different when it comes to the voodoo subgenre of horror (a subgenre I don't care much for), even if the ending was a bit plain. What I really appreciated about this book is the horror of red tape. Dealing with a bureaucracy is something we can all relate to. Wh ...more
Kristina
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ms. LeBlanc does a wonderful job of capturing the look and feel of Louisiana in her writing. Being from Louisiana myself I could easily picture the shacks on the bayous, but no matter where your from I think you can imagine it. She just does THAT well with her writing.

I recognized a lot of folklore throughout the story that has been passed on from generation to generation and I'm glad to see someone who was able to capture that and make it into a book we can all enjoy.

The story was full of myst
Rosemary Smith
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mental illness is scary enough without finding out that evil entities are involved. Deborah did a great job scaring me in this one. I liked it. She does a great job of making a reader "feel" Louisiana. This place is special and it does have a certain sense of dark and scary for some people. During the reading of this book, I could hear the drums and the "voo-doo" sounding music in my mind.

Good job, Deborah. Write me another one......
Angie crosby
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: alex, horror
Good different book. I enjoyed the story line. Would have been nice to not be told until later in the book what was going on. It did continue to hold my attention in spite of knowing what was going on. I wasn't sure if it would happen. Written well. Probably not one I'd own. One I would suggest to others. I'd read other stuff by this author as well.
Seth
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well worth the time spent on it with a satisfactory ending. Although, some of the words were confusing, especially at the end, you kept saying: who-what-where-when? at some of the parts. It happens from page 300 to the end. The last chapter was fine but overall it was decent. Well worth my time!
Michelle Burkhart
Sep 29, 2010 is currently reading it
just started...so far it seems like it is gonna be a good one
Lyle Hansen
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was okay. At times I found myself confused and lost on what was going on. That being said it was a very suspenseful novel and kept you guessing.
Michelle Fedele
Jun 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Like Death
  • Face
  • The Amulet (The Midnight Eye Files Book 1)
  • The Hidden
  • Casket For Sale: Only Used Once
  • Shadows in the Mist
  • The Two Sams
  • Jake's Wake
  • The Attraction (Dark Coming of Age, #3)
  • Wildwood Road
  • Afterage
  • The Influence
  • The Bone Factory
  • A Whisper in the Noise
Deborah LeBlanc is an award-winning, best-selling author and business owner from Lafayette, Louisiana. She is also a licensed death scene investigator, a licensed private investigator and has been a paranormal investigator for over twenty years. Deborah is currently the house ‘clairsendium’ for the upcoming paranormal investigation television show, Through the Veil.

She served four years as preside