Start by marking “Strangers Have the Best Candy” as Want to Read:
Strangers Have the Best Candy

Strangers Have the Best Candy

If you've ever had a conversation with a curious, red-haired traveling stranger named Meps, watch out! She probably wrote down what you said...and it's in these pages, twisted into a hilarious and provocative tale. In these crazy illustrated stories from a lifetime of talking to strangers, you'll meet people like:

-Carrie, the topless runner who popped out of the woods at
Published April 8th 2014 by Choose ART

To ask other readers questions about Strangers Have the Best Candy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers Have the Best Candy

Start your review of Strangers Have the Best Candy
Taube
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I guess I have a thing for peripatetic literature. As a young girl, restless for the open road and big L "Life!" beyond the narrow and Edenic nonchalance of Huntington, W.V., I was drawn to John Steinbeck 's "Travels With Charley," --a text in which a man and his pet poodle set out to discover the defining features of America. Later on, when this incipient ferment for adventure manifested itself in poetry wrought from the most sebaceous sort of adolescent angst, I found peripatetic plagency in R ...more
Andrew
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-by-friends
As children, we are taught not to take candy from strangers. And, given the dangers out there, for youngsters, this is probably a good rule. For many of us, though, this becomes a life rule...beware of strangers, because they might be dangerous. The problem with this mindset is that it creates a barrier that will limit your exposure to the wide and wonderful worlds that strangers can reveal to us.

This book is ALL about the value we can find in being open to encounters with strangers. [Full discl
Danica
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway and its actually the first non-fiction book I've read I did not want to put down. Ms. Shulte writes in such an easy going manner its not hard to see why people share their time and stories with her. I felt a connection to Meps and her travels throughout the book; maybe its my own struggle with wanderlust, my conviction that all people are simply people no matter how they appear or maybe its just my strawberry blonde hair. But there is one way we diffe ...more
Amy
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this compilation of whimsical, non-fictional stories of nomadic life on the road (and sea!).

Margaret 'Meps' Schulte shares with us the wisdom of going against all the lessons taught us as children. In this book she urges us to talk to strangers. Take candy from them, even. And certainly don't be frightened if someone runs out of the wood topless, carrying a bag of flour!

This was an entertaining read. As something of an homebody and a definite introvert, I love books that allow
Susan Barton
Everyone has heard the warning about taking candy from strangers: Don’t do it. Strangers can be weird, devious and even downright dangerous. But is that true for all strangers? Of course not. After all, a person is only a stranger to us simply because we don’t know them, at least not yet. But what if we looked at “strangers” as people who have the ability to transform, enlighten and even entertain us? That’s what is at the heart of Margaret Schulte’s book. When you view the lives, experiences an ...more
Camille
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
*I received this book in a FirstReads giveaway*

It is a nice read with a lot of lovely stories. It doesn't really follow a plot so it is easy to read a few stories and then stop and get back to it later. I also enjoyed the drawings by the author, which I think enhanced the recollections of her meetings with strangers.
It changed my mind about talking to strangers. I would definitely recommend it to all shy people!

Ms Schulte also included a happy spot, a personal note and a little bookmark when sh
Traveler
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gutsy author Margaret Schulte’s “Don’t Take Candy from Strangers” is an entertaining travel journal and memoir with funny encounters across the USA. The writing and drawings are chatty, engaging, jaunty and human. Her pilgrimage is a zippy travelogue with a weird title. The author is a people magnet, explorer and storyteller.
Wanda
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
I have met Meps and she is exactly as she describes herself. I had fun reading about her and Barry's adventures, that I knew little about. And I gleamed some helpful hints to overcome my bits of shyness around the unknown. Good Job Meps!
Nancy Schober
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
delightfully weird and charmingly quirky stories about the salts of the earth that people the back waters and small towns of America
Kathi Woodward
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this after it won the Diagram Prize for the year's oddest book title, and I wound up enjoying the author's stories about the interesting people she's met in her travels.
E
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I thought it would be despite the positive reviews. Enjoyable read.
Julia
Sep 01, 2014 marked it as to-read
This sounds like the book for me! My DH says that I always have the most interesting time chatting with strangers in random places. ;^)
Kate
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I interviewed the author here:

Charlotte
The author has a unique way of living, and she has chosen to live that way to experience life in many different places and to get to know many people who would be strangers if she didn't begin conversations with them. This way of living is not one I would choose, but I did find it interesting to read about her experiences. One of the main reasons I read is to learn new things and see how other people live.
I did find a few errors that the editor should have caught, but those errors were minor an
Jill
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this charming little book. A series of short tales about the strangers that Schulte has met along her travels. I think Schulte made a good decision to loosely organize her stories around various themes instead of in chronological order. The anecdotes are fairly simple--nothing earth-shattering or back-slapping hilarious, but I liked Schulte's style of writing and her gentle humor, and her illustrations were a nice touch. I am not good at striking up conversations with strangers at all, but ...more
Lafcadio
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Near the beginning of the book, I came across this:

"He had his driver's license taken away and was forced to ride the bus to get around town. He was extremely unhappy; a guy with a doctorate who had to ride on smelly city buses with lowlifes."

There appeared to be a disconnect here. Even as early as page 22, I could tell that most of this book was going to be about how the author keeps herself open to new experiences and talks to strangers, and look at all the wonderful things that come her way
Leo
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book had me laughing out loud. While I have not been a cruiser, it does appeal to me. I definitely get the nomadic lifestyle she refers to throughout the book. I have also lived a nomadic lifestyle the last several years working in National Parks.
Kim Gasparini
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Fast read. Interesting premise, but I didn't like the narrator - she seriously began the book by saying that her mutual funds were making money faster than she could spend it.
She is irritating.
Alison
Nov 25, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, true-story
kindle 221 true stories
John
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming

Margaret Schulte did a fantastic job sharing her unique ability to engage complete strangers in conversation that ultimately led to lasting friendships.
Nanditha Krishnan
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story Of L. Ron Hubbard
  • The Sitter
  • Gray Mountain
  • Kids and Story Importance of Water: Book 1 Short Moral Story Illustrated for kids
  • Caden Loves His Momma
  • White Fire (Pendergast, #13)
  • TIME MANAGEMENT: 21 daily rules made simple from the best entrepreneurs. Hack your business and succeed like a ninja. The magic of doing less and getting more things done. Start organizing right now
  • Unicorn Jokes For Kids
  • Ellie's Story (A Dog's Purpose Puppy Tales)
  • Maui Widow Waltz (Islands of Aloha Mystery, #1)
Margaret Meps Schulte is a full-time adventurer with a million crazy, creative ideas every day. "You can do anything," one of her friends recently accused her. That might just be a curse, not a blessing.

Meps has talked to strangers all over North America while traveling by sailboat, canoe, bicycle, car, and van. She currently drives the backroads in a car she calls "Bon-Bon."

She's extremely capabl