Start by marking “Black Apples” as Want to Read:
Black Apples

Black Apples

Strip the fairytale princesses of their petticoats and tiaras, and what you have left are the Black Apples. These are stories of trials and survival, strength and defeat, exploring the bones of fairytales. Carolyn has stolen from the temple and is on the run, the mistress of the Gingerbread house is out of control, Bluebeard's child collects hearts on her wall and a horse ...more
Published April 9th 2014 by Belladonna Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Black Apples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Apples

Start your review of Black Apples
Abigail
Jun 03, 2014 marked it as own-or-going-to-own
Shelves: books-i-own
18 new dark fairy tales? Purdy please!

description
Dana
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it

I am not normally a fan of fairy tale re-tellings, but the unique cover and promise of a darker version of fairy tales caught my interest. After devouring these tales I can say that this anthology lived up to its promise. I really loved most of the stories (there were only a couple that left me baffled), and I would recommend this to anyone who wishes for more “realistic” fairy tales.

Buy, Borrow or Bin Verdict: Buy

Note: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica Baumgartner
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first tale alone was worth buying this collection, add in Rapunzel's crazy hair story, Coyote stepping in to help Red and all the other twists and you've got an engaging book that doesn't stop pushing the limits. I love fairy tale re-tellings, if you're specifically attached to the happily ever after stories this may not be for you but that gets old real fast for me. I prefer to read about characters with depth and this has plenty of those.
Tanya
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’ve mentioned several times that I don’t love short stories. I usually don’t gravitate towards them in stand alone or collection form. The one exception is fairy tales. They are, by their nature, short stories. And they are typically sold in collection form. And this brings us to Black Apples – a collection of 18 modern fairy tales. Many of these stories borrow from historic tropes or pull classic stories into modern settings. I received this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest r ...more
Andie
First, of course, I need to thank Liv Longborn (Editor who contacted me), Camilla Bruce (Editor), the many co-authors of this book and all others involved with Belladonna Publishing, for allowing me a copy of this wonderful anthology in exchange for a review!

Liv contacted me at the start of may, asking if I would be interested in reviewing “Black Apples”, and as you all know, I love me some fairy tales. My reply was an instant “hells yeah”. I received my paperback copy and I just need to say, it
Melanie
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in the giveaway contest, and I really enjoyed it. The collection is an mix of old stories retold with a twist and new fairy tales. Some stories stuck out to me more than others. My favourites were Scar, Bluebeard's Child, Snow Child, and Citizen. I enjoyed these stories the most because of the dark twists and turns they took, and the new, unexpected endings. Some break convention, which make for an intriguing read, and some stay in your mind after you've put the book down. This b ...more
Tara Calaby
I'm not a huge fairy tale person, so I'm not the target market for this anthology. Despite this, I thought it was a very solid collection of short stories, so the REAL audience is going to absolutely love it.

My favourite piece was 'Sicky Sweet' by Ephiny Gale - dark, stark and perfectly understated. Others that stayed with me were 'Godmother Death' by Kate O'Connor, which was surprisingly moving, 'Bluebeard's Child' by Alison Littlewood and 'Every Heart is Cold Dark Matter' by Nadia Bulkin.

I th
Tim Gray
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A mixed bag of Apples indeed - some brilliant short stories, some good, and one or two no longer shiny and tasty. All in all though an eclectic and clever mix of fairy tales old and new - with the 're-imagining' of some giving them the sense of freshness and familiarity at the same time.
Sara Bauer
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wowwwww. Some really crazy twists on old fairy tales. You will not see these stories coming with endings only outdone by the Bros. Grimm. Enjoyable and dark.
Midas68
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Thanks for the Book!!!

Quite a good read.

Jolly Good!!!
M
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, short-stories
Wonderful, memorable retellings. Overall, a great collection of stories that are haunting and dark.
Kristin Scearce
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book from cover to cover. There was not a single story within it which I disliked, and I have even told others about a couple which really grabbed me and stuck in my head well after I had finished. These are wonderful retellings of classic fairytales we all know and love, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a little darkness to go against all the HEAs out there.

5 stars =)
Colette
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solid 3.7. I read these stories 99% during train rides and during the waiting game to and from work. Then I kinda stopped reading anything for a while for better or worse (probably worse) thus why and the only reason it took this long to read every story.

These stories are definitely captivating, tales you'll want to read if you like mature and quirky fairy tales. Some enchanted me less than others, starting with a bang and fizzling out with less than satisfying ends.ultimately, though, I liked
Bailey Jane
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This was definitely an interesting read! Some of the retellings and new stories gripped me from the first paragraph while others felt disconnected and bumpy to read. Overall I'm glad I read it as it isn't what normally drift toward. Pretty dark and fantastical, but probably not something I'd read over and over. :)
Lindy
Eli
rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2015
Molly Pinto
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Stephanie