Start by marking “Moon Runner” as Want to Read:
Moon Runner

Moon Runner

"A quiet, lyrical story that sensitively explores issues of friendship and being true to oneself." — SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL

When Mina, a self-professed "girlie-girl," discovers that she excels at track, her friends are as surprised as she is, especially competitive Ruth. Even more surprising is the way running seems to lift Mina up and make her happy. When Coach chooses her

Published March 3rd 2005 by Candlewick (first published 2005)

Mary Ann
Girls in 3rd and 4th grade often go through friendship troubles. Their friends are so important to them, but they can easily hurt each other's feelings without realizing. Moon Runner is a wonderful book all about how girls negotiate their friendships, while still being true to themselves.

Mina loves her group of friends. Every day they trade their Friendship Ball, adding bits of multicolored yarn to the growing ball. They are each different: Ruth is the athlete, Sammy loves to collect bugs, Alana
Betsy
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice realistic-fiction novel that does a great job of depicting the often tumultuous emotions of pre-adolescent girls. I plan to get several copies of this book to use with my 4th & 5th grade girls running group. Thanks for the book, Angel!
Chili Public
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girlie girls who might want to run
Sometimes the story felt a little forced, but I really liked the idea of following your dream, even if its not something you'd ever think of dreaming. :) The stress Mina has when she thinks she may lose her friend Ruth seemed very real.
The book almost even made me want to run!
Cathy
Nov 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girlie girls who might want to run
The book almost even made me want to run!
Luiza
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good!
Diane Robinson
A good, solid read for a 'tweener'.
B
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-girl
A fifth grade, previously unathletic girl discovers she loves to run and is good at it. She doesn't like competing against her best friend.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Friendship versus competition.
Emily Higinbottem
i think any one who is willin to read should read this.
Cws
Feb 04, 2009 added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR4-Mar
Maria
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book about friendship!
Kelsey
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 9-13
Oh my gosh! This book was sooooo good! It was one of my favorites, but I'm not going to say too much......... :)
Colleen
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book probably five years ago but remember it fondly as a coming of age story about a girl who finds herself running track. Great fro grades 5-8.
Joyce Chiang
Aliya
rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Carolyn Marsden was born in Mexico City to missionary parents. She has been a writer all her life, but THE GOLD-THREADED DRESS is her first book. About THE GOLD-THREADED DRESS she says, "I wrote this story when my half-Thai daughter was being teased at school. As a parent and elementary school teacher, I watched her struggle to establish a cultural identity. I became fascinated with a conflict tha ...more