Start by marking “Kiss Me Hard Before You Go (Hearts of Haines, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kiss Me Hard Before You Go (Hearts of Haines, #1)

Kiss Me Hard Before You Go

(Hearts of Haines #1)

Every summer, Gray Barnes and his eighteen-year-old daughter, Evie, open up their farm in the foothills of South Carolina to Kip Kierkin's Carnival of Wonder. The carnival attracts hordes of locals and out-of-towners, and it brings in the extra cash that Gray and his daughter need to keep the family estate running.

Evie decided long ago that she wants nothing to do with the
Published May 14th 2014 (first published May 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Me Hard Before You Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Me Hard Before You Go

Start your review of Kiss Me Hard Before You Go (Hearts of Haines, #1)
Leslie
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sometimes taking a trip down memory lane is just what you need to get out of a rut...and this was the perfect book.

Set in the 70s, this sweet and nicely written YA story will pull you back in time to an era nearly forgotten. With it's nostalgic feel of farmland and cattle and a delightful quaint town, I promise, you'll feel like you were actually there. I know I did.

I think the thing that made this novel stand out for me was it's authenticity--because trust me, I was alive and well in the 70's
Dalene
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bravo Shannon bravo! First off, thank you so much for my copy. The book is gorgeous and I love that it is signed to me. Thank you again!!

Okay this cover, awesome right? It catches your eye like all the great covers do. And the title. Aww. At first I was thinking...um...sex...but nope. The title is perfect and you find out the meaning towards the end of the book.

Now the review itself. I loved this book! I wish that I didn't have to work so that I could have just read it and done nothing else. Let
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
This book was absolutely precious! I loved it and didn't want to put it down the entire time I read it. I had to of course, but it was with great difficulty. I knew the second I saw the cover and read the blurb, McCrimmon had a winner on her hands. First of all...how stinkin’ adorable is the cover? Like major adorable, right? Right. Secondly, loved the story. I mean 1978 was an awesome year. I was born. Duh.

"The Sun is a star," she said. She rarely paid attention in science class, but that wa
Michelle Warren
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First off, let me start off by saying that I've been in a little bit of a reading rut. (Ruined by a serious book hangover caused by Melissa Brown's Wife Number Seven) So since then, I just craved something different. I FINALLY found it reading this little gem. This book is so sweet that I just fell in love with ALL of the characters. This is a little bit of a mash-up of the movie, BIG FISH, and the book, WATER FOR ELEPHANTS—but all set in the 70s and very unique on its own. It's a clean summer r ...more
Pauline Creeden
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars - a sweet romance that shows two sides of a coin...the life of a farmer, and the life of a carnie - and those two opposites show the how different things can be for both a small town girl and a boy with no roots, and whose life constantly takes him to a new town. I appreciate this clean, emotionally pinging read that will strike at your heart chords, and make you fall in love with the characters - sometimes just before pulling the rug out from underneath you. *I received a copy of this ...more
Shannon McCrimmon
Apr 09, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is near and dear to my heart. It's now available in print and ebook on Amazon.com
Shannon
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, for-review
“How far is that star?” Evie pointed to the sky.

“Don’t know but it shines so bright you’d think it was close by,” he said and intertwined his fingers with her. He rubbed the surface of her hand with his thumb.

“The sun is a star,” she said. She rarely paid attention in science class, but that was the one thing she remembered.

“You’re like the sun,” he said.

“How’s that?”

“You brighten my day and give it life.”

LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!!! Who knew a book that takes place on a farm and in the 70s w
books are love
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The instant you set your eyes on the cover of this amazing novel, you are hooked. The image of the innocent farm girl with the carnival as a backdrop immediately catches your attention. The cover and the quirky title hint at a sexy romance novel but the reader will be pleasantly surprised. Few authors are able to grab a reader’s attention through book covers and titles and also hold the reader’s interest through the entire book. By transference of thoughts and emotions of the main character into ...more
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-women
If Shannon McCrimmon is one thing, it's a creative storyteller. If she's a couple more things, I'd add original and off-beat (in a good way!) to the list.

I recently fell in love with Shannon's novel, The Days Lost, (5 stars! fantastic!) and wanted to check out more of her work. I don't usually read YA romance, but this one seemed different from the usual fare. At first I felt a little out-of-my-element since this isn't my usual 'thing'. But that didn't last long. Shannon is a writer who knows ho
Louise Genefaas
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book seemed promising from the title and cover, and it didn't disappoint. It wasn't what I was looking for, nor was it related to what I've been reading, but it was a welcomed and happy mistake! What a cute light read!
Linda Sorden
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A winner

This book is a delightful look at life ! The tragedy and the ecstasy of life and love . a vengeful antagonist and a bevy of the best kinds of friends make this book a real delight to read. I am writing g this as book 2 downloads . I can't wait to read on in the story ... Definitely worth a look you'll be glad you did !
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

I just love Evie and her dad. Finch and his carnie friends are just wonderful. You can just smell the funnel cakes as you read. Evie's friend Kate seems lime a lost girl who has a terrible father. I just fell for all of them.
Candace
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kiss Me Hard Before You Go, by Shannon McCrimmon, is a wonderfully heartwarming story about first love, true friendships, and family. McCrimmon did a fantastic job of hooking me into her novel during the first chapter. I instantly grew attached to Evie, the main character, who is a spitfire with a heart of gold and spunky personality.

Evie is not a normal young adult in that she keeps to herself, doesn't date, and works on the family farm day and night. She has one best friend, Katie, who has be
Connected By Books
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
What a hidden gem this book was?! I got it recommended by a book friend as a great summer read and it was just that and more.
 photo 1438176887.jpg

This is the story of Evelyn or Evie as everyone calls her and is set in the late 1970s. She's an 18 year old girl, living on a farm with her father, Gray, her dog Tripod and her pet ox Miles. Every year, her dad rents out a part of their land for Kip Kierkin's Carnival of Wonder. This helps them keep their farm going so it's a necessary evil as Evie sees it. This is h
Bookworm Betties
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely loved this book along with the author's writing style. Kiss Me Hard Before you go was as sweet as honey, refreshing as lemonade on a hot summer day, and a blast from the past with Stevie Nicks playing in the background. I LOVE STEVIE NICKS!

"To her nothing could compare to the poetic lyrics of Stevie Nicks."

May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing

"To her nothing could compare to the poetic lyrics of Stevie Nicks."

Evie is a country girl through and through. Its just her and her dad working hard on the farm trying to make ends meet. She is fairly content, besides wanting to travel, but hates
Kathryn Romeo
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to get a copy of this and could not wait to read it. I mean, seriously... who can resist a good story with carnies? After reading The Days Lost by Shannon McCrimmon, I knew that Kiss Me Hard Before You Go would be good, but it turned out so much better than I ever expected!

The first page draws you in, the first chapter sets a tone of mystery that will be a background to the whimsy and entertainment of the rest of the story.

If you've read some of my other reviews, then you know
Maggie Chatterton
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
When I first picked up Kiss Me Hard Before You Go by Shannon McCrimmon, I wasn't sure how I would like a book that takes place in the late 70s. And to my surprise, I actually enjoyed the humor and the budding romance between Evie Barnes and Finch Mills.
"Since when are Floridians yankees?"
"Since they don't know the difference between sweet tea and unsweetened tea," she said.

There were sections of light humor like that that had me smiling.
Evie Barnes is an eighteen-year old farmer's daughter who d
Toni
Kiss Me Hard Before You Go is as sweet and beautiful as its cover. Really, did you get a load of that awesome cover? Take another look. I’ll wait.

Stunning, isn’t it?

What I love about this story is how easy it is to relate to the characters. Evie and Finch are so very real, the reader has no choice but to feel a connection. The pacing is flawless, and the setting takes you back to a time not long ago, but feels like several lifetimes. Society is so different now than it was back in the 70’s and i
Clotilde Martinez
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
How freaking awesome is that cover! It's 1978. Evie Barnes adores her father. Mom ran out on them years before- leaving Evie and her dad Gray to handle the everyday affairs of farm life. Every summer, Gray allows Kip Kierkin’s Carnival of Wonder on his property in order to make extra money. Evie doesn't care for the carnival folks and is not looking forward to seeing them on her land. Finch Mills is a carny and proud of it. Evie and Finch do clash at the beginning but as things progess, a friend ...more
Stephanie
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I adored this book so much. Perfect summer read if you're looking for a sweet romance with some suspense. Evie & Finch captured my heart and had me anxiously hoping for a happy ending for them. Set in the 1970's added a fresh take on what was already an intriguing story, then add the carnival aspect & I was hooked! This book quickly became a favorite and not only have I read more than once but can see myself returning to visit these characters again. 5 Stars! ...more
Cora
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one sweet read. I enjoy Sharron's characters so much and the world she painted felt so real. You can't help but fall in love with it as the young couple from different worlds fall in love and take you along their journey. I would really enjoy seeing another book about Evie and Finch. I'm sure Shannon can take us to the next chapter of their life!
Tressa Sager
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bravo Miss Shannon!!!! You have once again blown me away!!!! I didn't want it to end...The story teaches anyone who reads it a lesson...someone may seem different or be from a different walk of like then yours but they may turn out to be your best friend or more...love the acceptance in this book! Be ready for tears, yelling at your book or ereader and laughs!!!!! Enjoy and Happy Reading!!!!
Michael Burhans
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of the year. Nobody writes quirky, realistic characters like Ms McCrimmon. Her people are not the King and Queen of the prom, they are the people on the sidelines of life often, in the background.

She makes you care draws you in, and writes slam dunk great stories that worm their way into your brain and never let you go.
Russell Goulet
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shannon McCrimmon put together a wonderful work with this look back. The characters in the story are well developed and they are quite believable. McCrimmon shares the store in a great way and it deals with some tough issues in a very good way. I received this book through the Firstread program and it was a very enjoyable read that I finished in a day.
Heidi Loney
I loved this book! If you grew up in the seventies, you will enjoy all of the pop culture of the day, music, movies and fashion. Great, sweet love story with plenty of other twists and turns to keep young readers interested. A great coming of age story that is so wholesome it's great for adolescent readers too.
Leah Ewald
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think that Shannon McCrimmon really did a great job with this book! I loved it! I really felt like she was telling me a story. I fell in love with the characters! I had a couple tears fall because I felt close to them. I also laughed with them. It was really well written.
Angie
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Great book! This book was an easy read and I loved the characters. As i got farther into the book, I just kept wishing I had a family like the one Evie and Finch had - people who would do anything for you.

-full disclosure- I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
Stephenie
4.5 STARS!
REVIEW TO COME.
Ria
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute book. I liked the characters, and most especially everything about the setting and year.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 28, 2015 09:36AM

• Curious Wine
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)
  • The Unrequited
  • Rainfall
  • Love Show
  • The Nature of Cruelty
  • Grayson
  • One Man Guy (One Man Guy, #1)
  • Painted Faces (Painted Faces, #1)
  • Moon at Nine
  • The Vast Fields of Ordinary
  • Who'd Have Thought
  • Peter Darling
  • Strawberry Summer
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • Kissing Tolstoy (Dear Professor, #1)
  • Under His Kilt (Under the Kilt, #1)
  • Highland Healer (Highland Healer #1)
Shannon McCrimmon is the author of several novels, including The Summer I Learned To Dive and Kiss Me Hard Before You Go. She currently lives in Greenville, South Carolina with her husband and toy poodle. She'd love to hear from you. Connect with her at shannonmccrimmon.com

Hearts of Haines (3 books)
  • Like All Things Beautiful (Hearts of Haines, #2)
  • This Is Where We Begin (Hearts of Haines, #3)