Start by marking “Charming” as Want to Read:
Charming

Charming

They say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and that's great . . . as long as you don't die.

Sixteen-year-old Haley Tremaine had it all: top-notch school, fantastic family, and a bright future, but all of that changed when an accident tore her family apart. Now, an alcoholic father, a bitter younger sister, and a cold headstone bearing her mother’s name are all s
Published October 6th 2014 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Charming, please sign up.
Krystal Wade Hi, Max! So I hope I'm not too late on a response, but my publisher does have the hardcover and paperback pre-order up on their site now.

Start your review of Charming
Ben Alderson
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
WOW WOW WOW

I have gone through so many emotions with this book! Perfect fall read! I loved the cinderella and Saw movie re telling!
I can't wait to review this for my youtube account next week!
JUST AWESOME !
Seeing Double in Neverland
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For Full Teaser Review go to http://seeingdoubleinneverland.blogsp...

5 out of 5 Stars

Charming is very original, well written, great characters, with only slight nods to Cinderella. I would definitely recommend this book especially if you are looking for a youthful romantic horror retelling of Cinderella!
Jessa Russo
In this young adult mash-up of Cinderella and SAW, we start out getting a behind the scenes look at Haley Tremaine's life--and not much of a life, if we're being honest. The poor girl has lost her mother, and her father has become a raging alcoholic with a pension for abusing his eldest daughter. Haley's younger sister is oblivious to their father's rage, and only because Haley so relentlessly tries to protect her from it. Haley has learned to live life by going through the motions. She's broken ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
I won an e-ARC of this book from a Krystal Wade Blog Giveaway.

So what happens if you cross Cinderella with Saw? You get a bloody brilliant book that will draw you in and not let go, not even to make your children's tea! I'll be honest, reading the synopsis and seeing that it fell in the horror genre, I wasn't sure if I'd like it. I mean, come on, who wants to read about an alcoholic dad, a dead mum, an indifferent sister and physical abuse, especially when you're a wuss as I am? It turns out I d
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy

There really is no other way to describe this but as a retelling of a Cinderally if she took some hallucinogens and ended up in Saw franchise.
No seriously. Although the story is told of our "Cinderella" as a HS sophomore there is a lot of adult content such has dealing with abuse. If anythingn this story reflects much of the original Brothers Grimm story of Cinderella in the gore and messing with your head factor. In the original story there is actual cutting/trimming of feet to get into tha
Susan
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have never read Krystal Wade before but after reading CHARMING I can tell you honestly, she is now on my author radar list. I was emotionally invested from page one and couldn't stop reading until I knew what happened to Haley and her family. I felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster, laughing at the antics and conversations between Haley and her best friend, Christine.
Sarah Marie
Charming by Krystal Wade

2 stars

Haley Tremaine lost it all. Her mother died in a car crash that was supposed to take Haley away from her abusive father and now she’s stuck with him. She’s stuck with him and she has to protect her sister from the truth about who her father is- an alcoholic abuser. Enter Chris Charming, a boy who used to attend school with Haley and now is runner up for her mother’s candle making company. He has a reputation as a trouble maker and he won’t leave Haley alone. There’

Melissa
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great modern twist on a fairy tale. Characters are well rounded and explained well. The main female character is strong and not whiney (I had whiney chicks). She overcomes the problems in her life in order to make it better for her and her sister. I recommend this book to everyone!!
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 Stars

I loved this story, if was sad how poorly Haley is treated by her Father and Sister. I really liked the friendships and romantic aspects of this book along with suspense and mild horror. I thought when I started reading this book I would be able to figure everything out but I definitely couldn't. I really liked the fact that it was a mystery and hard to predict. I love that it isn't just your typical retelling of Cinderella done in horror retelling.

Charming is very original, well
Michelle
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
The plot and twists and suspense in this book made this book really interesting. But as I read it, the storyline also kind of seemed a bit scattered. It wasn't a bad book though; a three-star for me.
Susie
I want to start out this review by saying that I did not want to read this book. I've read everything this author has written. I'll admit it, she's my friend. I get first views at her books. I'm THAT lucky. But when she told me about Charming I said thanks, but no thanks. Nope, not going to read about child abuse. Just ain't doing it.

As disappointed as she was, she understood. But after a while I started to feel bad. Maybe I was being too stubborn. The beta readers were loving it, so I should gi
Melissa
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It combined romance, family issues and mystery in a twisted version on Cinderella.

Haley is a sixteen year old girl who has a horrible home life. She lost her mom and then had to handle abuse from her father. She protected her sister from her dad's abuse and never spoke out. Her life changed after the death of her mother. She went from a well to do family to barely surviving. From private schools to public schools. But the past always catches up with you.

C
Krystal Wade
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Pre-Orders are available NOW
Amazon
Barnes & Noble

I'll be at the Baltimore Book Festival Saturday and Sunday, September 27th and 28th. For more details on my events schedule, check out my website!

Ray
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an early version of this book and all I have to say was wow. I will reread the book once it offically comes out, and will write a proper review.

But with that being said, even from the very first rough draft of this book, it was a very excellent read. It is a Young Adult book geared towards the female audience. Even though it was geared towards females, I think ANYONE who picked this book up to read would find it very enjoyable.

Tiffani
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Charming by Krystal Wade was one of my favorite book of 2014, I will be suggesting it to everyone. Charming has made me love Krystal Wade's writing. It also has sparked a love of Curiosity Quills Press other books as well. I can't wait to read more from Krystal Wade. This is an amazing book. I can't wait to see not only what Krystal Wade has in store for us in the future.
Ryan Hill
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Krystal Wade's "Charming" is a fun, twisted take on the Cinderella tale. The writing is immersive, the twists come fast and furious, and the paranoia is suffocating. Wade does a fantastic job of keeping the reader off-balanced, making each surprise that much more shocking. Not to be missed!
Victoria
Originally posted at Revenge of the Feels

*Thank you to Curiosity Quills Press for providing me with an eARC in exchange for a honest review.

One word. Marvellous.

This is one of the rare times, or should I say, the first time, I have read a YA contemporary novel to be so dark and emotional. Charming is truly a novel that will have her readers gripping on to the edge of their seats as they read through the life of Haley Tremaine, the protagonist.

I have read so many books of protagonists with simila
Rhea Dsouza
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings
I didn’t realize I was reading a slightly twisted, sick version a fairy tale until I had finished reading Charming. And then I was in complete awe of how big an idiot I was for literally not realizing this until the very end :/

Charming isn’t charming. It’s real and gruesome. And in all honesty, it’s one of the few books that are actually as promising inside as they are on the outside.

Haley Tremaine’s life isn’t easy. She’s got an abusive father to deal with every night and a bitter, younger sist
Jackie -Sated Faery
Oh. My. Gosh!! What a thriller! Haley pulled at my heartstrings from the very beginning! She has so much love in her heart, even for people who really don’t deserve it. She lost her mother, who she was very close to, and is stuck with a drunken, angry dad and a naïve, spoiled little sister. She’s devoted her entire life to keeping things under control at home and not letting anything get to her. But living like that has weakened her spirit so much that she’s starting to lose all hope. Then comes ...more
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In the beginning, I wasn't to sure what I was reading and where the story was going to go. Charming didn't grab my attention right away. Once I had a better feel for the characters and the story, I started to enjoy reading it. Charming took me by surprise and I really enjoyed it.

Haley is a teenager who has been dealt a crappy family life. She has lost her mother and her father is an abusive alcoholic. Her younger sister seems oblivious to everything going around her. Chris Charming has everythi
Heather McCorkle
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Superb writing draws you along through this heartrending novel, writing so good that even as an author I never once stopped to think about the nuts and bolts of the writing within~it's just that good. This is like Scream combined with The Fault in Our Stars. That may not sound amazing to everyone, but it was spot on for me. If you like suspenseful, mysterious, edgy fiction with a heart, this book needs to be your first priority when it releases and it is an absolute MUST READ for October.
Eve (Functioning Insanity Reviews)

I was lucky enough to snag myself an ARC to review. Score! *Did my little happy dance around the apartment*

They say what doesn’t’ kill you makes you stronger, and that’s great…as long as you don’t die.

What a tagline. It says it all right there I think.

Charming is about our 16 year old Haley who once had it all, the prestigious school, great family, tons of friends, a boyfriend, and a bright future until it all fell apart. Now with an alcoholic father,
Sharon Bayliss
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Haley's life is really bad. And not in the teenage drama kind of way. It's just bad. Hopeless even. Her mother is dead. Her alcoholic father abuses her. She does everything to protect a sister who doesn't care about her. Her grades are failing and hope of a successful life seems pretty slim. She has nowhere to feel safe, and despite a few friends, she seems very alone. And, although it doesn't seem like it could get worse...it does.

As you can guess from the cover, this book is bleak at times. Th
Summer
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014, 2014-faves
When I read a blurb detailing CHARMING as Cinderella meets Saw, I wondered how on earth Wade would successfully integrate such a beloved fairy tale with such a gory thriller! But let me tell you, she does, and it is FAN-TASTIC. I was sucked into the story on page one and devoured it clear to the end! I loved the character cast, each one fleshed out so completely. Wade has an easy-to-read writing style that captures descriptions in such a real and visual way. The dialogue is so natural and each s ...more
Mara Valderran
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I can't even begin to gush enough about how much I loved this book. My poor heart could hardly take this book--one minute it is causing flutters over how incredibly sweet and swoon-worthy Chris Charming is, the next it is wrenching over how horrible Haley's life has been and how rough she has had it, and then it is pounding with anticipation of flipping the page after an "Oh my god!" thriller of a moment. I'm usually pretty good at guessing the killer or culprit, but Krystal Wade had me changing ...more
Crystal Bryant
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You know who can spin a tale? Krystal freaking Wade. I just finished Charming: young adult Cinderella meets Saw.

I didn't know what to expect. I hadn't realized it was horror, I'd never read anything by Krystal before, and I never would have imagined such twisted little thoughts turned around in her lovely brain. (I should have known better.)

She kept me guessing on all the key points, only giving me enough information to figure out what was going on the moment before she revealed it,

If you like p
Eliza Tilton
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An emotionally charged thriller with a twisted villain and a real-life Prince Charming.

This story put me though so many different emotions. I've never wanted to hug a fictional character so much. You'll keep guessing who the pyscvho is and wondering what Haley will finally do, and just when you think you have it all figured out, bam! YOU'RE WRONG.

And let's not forget our Prince Charming in this twisted Cinderella tale. He's everything you hope for, so much, I wanted to find a reason to hate him,
Amber
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retelling, read-2015
The first quarter or so of this book is set up like a contemporary romance with a Cinderella retelling mixed in; however, this is not how the story goes. It takes a twist and becomes thriller about survival. (view spoiler) ...more
Phoenix
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is insane! I read it in one sitting because I could not put it down. It screams intense! There are so many layers to this book and it just keeps you guessing the whole time. I thought this would be a simple love story between Chris and Haley but I was so wrong. This is more a mystery, suspense book than a love story. All I can say when reading this book is -HOLD ON!
Hannahlovesbooks
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Man, this was a quick read. I was expecting it to be much scarier than it was. But I still found it interesting.

Overall 2.5/5

• Christmas Shopaholic
  • The Girl He Used to Know
  • The Rack & Cue
  • Rewind
  • Before I Find You: Are you being followed?
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Encyclopedia: The Ultimate Guide to the Buffyverse
  • Come Closer
  • Hell Hound
  • Blister
  • Best Friends Forever
I’m happily married to the love of my life (don’t gag) and raising three beautiful children in the gorgeous state of Virginia. We live just outside Washington, D.C., and every day I wake up to find myself stuck in traffic trying to get there.

The horrid commute gives me plenty of time to zone out and think about my characters in full, brilliant details (I’m a safe driver; don’t worry). Stories give