Start by marking “Alone Together” as Want to Read:
Alone Together

Alone Together

Sometimes Bear likes quiet time by himself. But his friend Fox has a very different idea of what “quiet” means. Can Bear’s quiet aloneness and Fox’s noisy togetherness ever result in a satisfying compromise? This simple and endearing story about friends learning to understand each other’s differences is filled with Suzanne Bloom’s gentle humor and trademark pastel ...more
Published October 1st 2014 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about Alone Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alone Together

Start your review of Alone Together
Stevie
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 star rating.

This is a short, cute story about three friends, Bear, Fox and Goose and alone time. While I liked the concept of talking about when a friend wants quiet, alone time, and I did think it was a cute story of friends having alone time together; I thought it dropped the ball on the idea of someone wanting alone time. This concept is often hard for small children to understand i.e. "My friend ______ doesn't like me because he wants to play alone." I believe this story could have
Demi Novinger
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the implications of this book on how to respect people's wishes and how words can mean different things to different people, and especially at different ages. I also loved how Duck at the beginning was respecting Bear's wishes and understanding that sometimes he just wanted to be alone. This could be a wonderful book to use to introduce the idea of a quiet area for those who are overwhelmed or just want to spend some time alone, especially if you have children with disabilities. ...more
Alexis Parker
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like the short simple text, which is good for young readers. I also like the illustrations that are simple background, but complex animals. I like the double page spreads of the illustrations as well. It shows that some people like to be alone sometimes, and children don't always understand the concept that some people want to be alone, and when you're with someone you don't always have to make noise and just sit together alone
Margaret Buettner
Shelves: children-s
I liked this story a lot. Especially since te main character wants to be alone in the quiet. It's a good way to introduce emotions, and the idea that you can be together in a quiet and respectful way. You could also introduce social and emotional health, and how you can be alone with other people. The illustrations also really add to the meaning of the text.
Sarah Meyer
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is great because it tells children it's okay to have time to yourself and it is healthy. It also adds in humor and is very relative to children's lives. It can be used to talk about social-emotional and lead into discussion about asking about feelings, asking about consent, and checking in with others about how they are feeling.
Grace Retter
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has very few words on each page, and they are very simple words at that. This is a book that emergent readers could memorized if they heard it often enough, and begin to develop that readerly identity that is so important in our youngest readers. I also like all the onomatopoeias in the book, and think that kids would have fun mimicking the sounds.
Aubrey
Shelves: edrd-390
- Shows that some people like to be alone, especially introverts
- Children don't always understand the concept of being alone
- Can create dialogue between the characters. Children can analyze the characters' thoughts
- Introduces social, emotional needs and feelings
Katie Pigg
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
simple illustrations, the bear is very detailed
can talk about how sometimes but people want to be alone or by themselves
can talk about how the goose, bear, and fox feel/think
talk about feelings and why people might want alone time
the fox asked how bear was feeling
Alissa Switzer
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very cute. This book is great to talk about what it means to want to be alone. Kids need to learn how to express their emotions early in life and this book would be great to help start conversations about emotions and feelings.
Savannah Lamb
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
What does being quiet mean? What does being alone mean? Are you sad? mad? angry? These are all questions that can be addressed by reading this book. A lot of times kids do not know what being alone means or why sometimes people want to do it.
Corissa Clark
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to talk about social and emotional skills. We can talk to children about looking to see how others are feelings and use their words to ask their friends how they are feeling and how to express their feelings.
Alyssa Rothwell
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book to introduce that sometimes people want to be alone. It also shows that it’s okay that some people need quiet time or that you can still be around people and be alone/quiet. It also introduces asking people how they feel or why they feel a certain way.
Alli Smith
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is good for discussion about social and emotional interactions. It is okay to ask if people are okay or mad. Students can make connections with this books because children act the way the characters act. It is also good to talk about opposites. How are bear and fox different?
Alex Nickoli
Shelves: edrd-390
Short and fun book to share! Very relatable for children. Good book to bring up social-emotional skills with children, "How are you feeling?" Animals are very nicely personified.
Karlie Polston
Shelves: edrd
Teaches a great concept that its okay to be alone and want to be alone every now and then! Very funny as well, I think kids would really enjoy it.
Brittney Noyer
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good book to introduce and have a conversation about social/emotional health and that sometimes we need alone time.

Overall, a great message and a cute book with good illustrations!
Madison Odendahl
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book is a good book to learn about being alone and parents wanting to have alone time
Lauren
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
- Good for talking about emotions and social situations
- Engaging illustrations
- Describes situations that children find themselves in
Sydney Chaney
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple, saying that it's okay to have alone time (social, emotional)
Seraphim Muir
Cute pictures
A good way to discuss how sometimes people want to be alone and need space
Crosby Maierle
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
good book to talk about emotions
asking for consent.
Margaret Florence
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is adorable. This is a good book to talk about our feelings and helps with self-regulation. The illustrations are so detailed, you can see the feelings on the bear's face.
Mikaela Elizabeth
talk about emotions
talk about people needing alone or quiet time
cute illustrations
talk about personalities of different people
people need different things
social and emotional health
Keaton Bailey
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would be a good test to start conversations of personal boundaries
Simple and easy to follow for students
Haleigh Weidner
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
-Allows for excellent discussion!!
Donna Mork
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute story where fox gets it all wrong about being alone, being quiet, and so forth.
Steven Matview
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e
What is it about the combination of “Alone” and “Together” that produces quality entertainment?

The Fall Out Boy song?
FOB

The best thing to come out of their reunion.

The Steven Universe episode?
steven

One of the best episodes of the show’s first season.

And this book?
bear

Well…

Bear is an introvert who decides to take some time alone to decompress.

His extrovert friends don’t get it. Is bear angry? He must be distressed. Or maybe lonely?

As an introvert myself, I totally sympathized with bear.

And I liked the
Barbara
Having friends is wonderful, but sometimes Bear just needs some time to himself. Talkative Fox finds that hard to understand and interrupts his solitude with chatty comments. By the time the book comes to a close, Bear has no time to himself--unless he shares it with his two best friends, Goose and Fox. The pastel illustrations delightfully highlight the animals' closeness and the ever-patient nature of stolid Bear who never does find that quietness for which he's searching. This book would be ...more
Brianna
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, reviewed
Aww, this book is so adorable and perfect! This book shows that sometimes people just want to be alone, but it also shows that you can be alone with others and still enjoy your alone time. There are different kinds of alone and this book gives a simple example of a couple of them. I love the illustrations, especially the bear. Everything just fits together and my kids loved how cuddly the bear looks.
Diana
Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: storytime
This book is an introvert's NIGHTMARE! No, my extroverted friend, I do not want to be alone together. I just want to be alone. To recharge. Seriously! I get the cute factor of the book, but being stuck in a situation like this would likely make me weep. When I say I need to be alone, LEAVE ME ALONE!!! And then I'll be able to be with you again as a much happier person. Extroverts really do need to understand this about introverts. We'd all be happier in the long run.
« previous 1 3 next »

• When Spring Comes
  • Kitten's First Full Moon
  • Over and Under the Pond
  • Egg
  • We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie, #13)
  • Dinosaur Kisses