Start by marking “For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)” as Want to Read:
For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)

For Love of Mother-Not

(Pip & Flinx #5)

From bestselling author Alan Dean Foster, an exciting early Pip and Flinx novel that shows the origins of a certain boy with special powers--and the mini-dragon that becomes his devoted sidekick. . . .

Flinx was just a freckle-faced, redheaded kid with green eyes and a strangely compelling stare when Mather Mastiff first saw him an the auctioneer's block. One hundred credit
Published March 12th 1987 by Del Rey Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about For Love of Mother-Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Love of Mother-Not

Bradley
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2017-shelf
This isn't my first Alan Dean Foster read. I've read a few SW novels. But this is my very first ADF read when it comes to his own unique stories.

I did decide to read his Pip and Flinx novels in chronological order, first, and I'm not sure this was a precisely wise idea. It wasn't a bad idea, but I got the distinct impression that a stormcloud was on the horizon and I really didn't know what was to come. Hence, Flinx almost felt like a special snowflake. You know. A Mary Sue. Of course, there's n
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first foray into re-reading Alan Dean Foster. We meet Pip and Flinx for the first time. Chronologically the first book of this particular series, in publishing order book four or five.

I don't recall reading this before and all my others reading of this author lies easily 20 years in the past, so I can't say how it fits in with the other Flinx books.

It was an easy, entertaining read. Perfect as brain candy for the beach. Fast moving plot, likeable characters, good suspense, believable story.

R
Paul E. Morph
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J L's Bibliomania
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, 2014-reads
I read and enjoyed Alan Dean Foster’s stories of Flinx and Pip when I was a teen/college student. This was the mid-80’s and there were a half dozen books or so. They’ve recently been re-released (and apparently several more books have been written). My younger son, the voracious SF-Fantasy reader, picked up a few from the library, so I decided to give it a re-read.

I typically like to read extended series in the order they were written, not the order things occur chronologically in the series. Ev
Jeffrey
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
In an attempt to fill in some of the blanks in the Flinx backstory, Foster published this prequel to the events that took place in The Tar-Aiym Krang. It tells how Flinx was adopted, about his relationship with Mother Mastiff, about his beginning uses of his talent, and provides some context about his enemies -- information that was sort of alluded to in Orphan Star and The End of the Matter is more explicitly handled here.

Its also a really good action adventure novel, as Mastiff is kidnapped an
Mark
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here’s one that I thought I’d read thirty-odd years ago.

But having picked it up again, I can’t remember anything about it*. So, with that feeling of deja-vu nullified to zero, I looked at the book with unexpectedly fresh eyes and thirty-odd years of further experience. Was it worth a read?

Definitely.

For Love of Mother-Not is the first book in the Pip and Flinx series, although actually the fourth published. As the first novel chronologically it introduces us to Philip Lynx (Flinx) as a young boy
Got My Book
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Also posted on my blog Got My Book.

An interesting YA prequel to a long running (though now complete) NA SF series.

BOOK DETAILS:
For Love of Mother-Not by Alan Dean Foster, read by Stefan Rudnicki, published by Audible Studios (2009) / Length: 8 hrs 15 min

SERIES INFO:
This is (chronologically) Book #1 of 14 in the completed "Pip & Flinx" series, all of which are available on audio. If you prefer to read in publication order, it is #5.

SUMMARY:
This is probably my favorite of the Pip & Flin
An Odd1
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fan, fantasy
"But I don't want to be different," he insisted, almost crying. "I just want to be like everyone else." p245. The plaint of many a teen, but in a sci-fi setting. Easy to care for characters in a believable chase cross-country, saved more by smarts than deus ex machina luck. No odd omens or peculiar prophecies - straight action, motivated by different honest convictions.

In the marketplace of backwater planet Moth, Flinx, now 16, was raised the last eight years by Mother Mastiff, now 98. Gene-man
Meggie
I came across this audio book series by accident and decided to try it out. The starting point for Flint and his flying dragon Pip was well developed and enjoyable from the beginning till the end. I liked Flint. He was a smart young boy and I'm looking forward to read more about his adventures.
Matthew Link
Par for the course for ADF. An enjoyable read. Nothing of earth shattering brilliance, but he's always good for an enteraining story.
Scottsdale Public Library
This is the prequel novel to Alan Dean Foster’s classic Pip & Flinx adventures. Flinx is a young orphan boy that has some unusual abilities. When his adoptive mother , known as Mother Mastiff, is kidnapped, he embarks on a quest to save her. Accompanied by a telepathic flying dragon Pip, he encounters many obstacles and learns that she is not the only person in peril. This is a classic coming of age story. It feels geared toward a younger audience but can be read by anyone. – Wendy M.
Debrac2014
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting story that left me with many questions! What other talent does Flinx have? What happened that flung him far from that warehouse?
Janet Martin
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hooked me on this series from the first word! There are lots of reviews that synopsize and analyze this book, so I won't bother
Camille
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, science-fiction
I immediately was caught up in this story and it became a page turner for me. It slowed down a bit during the forest part, but quickly became a page turner again after he reached his destination... I liked the writing, the plot and characters... I look forward to reading more in this series.
Purpleallison Hoffman
This book was very "meh". I kept waiting for it to get exciting. Or at least to a point where I couldn't put the book down. But it never got there. The story wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.
Gedvondur
In my estimation, Three Stars is a good book, well worth reading.

I've always loved Foster's Commonwealth universe and my introduction to it was The Tar-Ayim Krang, the first Pip and Flinx book. For the Love of Mother-Not, was written later, but set before Krang, and takes a look at the genesis of Flinx on Drallar and explores his relationship with Mother Mastiff.

I freely admit, I've probably read all of the Commonwealth books at least three times each, but the Pip and Flinx books I've always f
Hazel
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For Love of Mother Not by Alan Dean Foster is a science fiction book. It’s the first book in a series, and it stars Flinx, an orphan who has empath abilities because of people when he was a small child. When his surrogate mother gets abducted, he and his found pet, a mini dragon, (not actually a dragon, more a flying snake) track and rescue her. There are two opposing sides, the Meliorare society (abducters, responsible for his ability in the first place) and the government, who wants to make hi ...more
Donald Mosier
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Just three stars, but only because it is a really light read. It is actually a very good read. The tech is terribly dated, and often implausible. But the story is absolutely top rate.

I remember reading several of the Flynx and Pip books many many many years ago. I am pretty sure I read this one then. But other than the relationship between the boy and his mini-dragon, I have absolutely zero recollection.
Marlene Burrows
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flinx, Pip, & Mother Mastiff

A pretty good tale! Interesting in the theme of certain individuals thinking on improving the human race. Best leave well enough alone without others intervention. Will Flinex and Mother find a place where they can live in peace? We will see.
Jen King
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this whole series quite a few years ago and am enjoying re-visiting it. It's not as 'great' as I remember - it tends to run a little 'shallow' on character and plot, but is still an enjoyable quick read.
Bookbear
This was only okay. The first 2/3 were not bad at all, but then it just went a bit downhill. ADF seems to have a problem with endings anyway. :-) I often think his endings are like "oh my god I forgot to turn off the cooker." But here it's not just too quick it just didn't click with me.
Lesa O'Hara
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Good book. Just enough mystery to add to the well built characters the author has invented. I can't was to see how flynx and pip continue their journey. I will be sure to buy more books by this author and gladly recommend him to other readdrs
Brent Moffitt
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Apparently this book, although number 5 in the series, is essentially a flashback. I guess I would have had to start with the first in the series for some of this to make sense. Without that background, some aspects of the plot didn't work. Overall, a very enjoyable and easy read.
Kickarse Reviews
I Struggled to finish this book, the first in a series by Foster. I really liked the ideas but the execution was a little disjointed and didn't really draw me in enough.
I was hoping for an exciting series with the boy and his new strange pet.
Shawn
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

This one really is not one of Allan Dean Foster's better books. It's a clunky read, full of Cliches, and very repetitive plot devices.

Jeff Miller
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel is the origin story for Pip & Flink and is well executed. I've read a couple of these novels and am setting myself to go through them all since I enjoy them so much.
James Hein
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This is book 1 not 5 - start here.

Another classic series from Alan Dean Foster
Deborah
Fun, but...aimed at YA?
Keturah Barchers
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I've read this book four times now. Never boring.
Jonathon Baugh
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun sci-fi from the early 80s. A decent origin story with fun characters and a playful world.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's the Name o...: SciFi book - Fix/Fitz (?) with a small dragon-like companion [s] 4 32 Feb 16, 2013 09:12AM
Dragons, dragons ...: Pip and Flinx 1 3 Sep 14, 2012 05:45AM

• Wolfling
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock, #5)
  • Changelings
  • Serpent's Reach
  • The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2)
  • Fire Dancer (Dancer, #1)
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • The Kiribati Test
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • First to Fight (Starfist, #1)
  • Dragon and Liberator (Dragonback, #6)
  • Special Deliverance
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • Fuzzy Sapiens (Fuzzy Sapiens, #2)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more

Pip & Flinx (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx #1)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • Flinx in Flux (Pip & Flinx #6)
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx #7)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #10)
  • Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)
“meal was sensitized: any nonprogrammed disruption” 0 likes