Start by marking “The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared” as Want to Read:
The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

(The Hundred-Year-Old Man #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  190,138 ratings  ·  21,128 reviews
Sitting quietly in his room in an old people's home, Allan Karlsson is waiting for a party he doesn't want to begin. His one-hundredth birthday party to be precise. The Mayor will be there. The press will be there. But, as it turns out, Allan will not...

Escaping (in his slippers) through his bedroom window, into the flowerbed, Allan makes his getaway. And so begins his
Published 2013 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2009)

·  190,138 ratings  ·  21,128 reviews

Start your review of The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Jennie
Jan 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
And the title was so promising...

Dumb. Oh so dumb. The humor, if it could be called that, is roughly on par with children's knock knock jokes. And this feeble comedy is hammered on with an incredible relentlessness over 400 pages.

Ha ha...people drink vodka! Ha ha! A man who doesn't like politics meets every important political leader over 5 decades...ha ha! Religion and politics are dumb. Guffaw guffaw.

I actively groaned more times than be counted. I suppose this title will be the darling of
Robin Webster
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think I’ve ever read a book where the title so sums up what the book is all about. The story is set in Sweden and is about the life and adventures of our hero Allan Karlsson who on his hundredth birthday climbed out the window of his old people’s home and disappeared. He then sets out on a journey where he steals a suitcase which turns out to contain a fortune that was paid over to a group of bikers by a Russian organized crime syndicate as payment for a drug deal. There then follows an ...more
Angela Oliver
First it was funny, then it was tedious, then it was just annoying. The name dropping, the fact that one person could have such an influence on world politics. Very farcical. I think what bugged me the most was when they convinced the police officer to join them. Everything was just too smooth, too convenient. I struggled to finish it and I cannot understand what all the hype is about. The writing style seemed off to - aside from the lack of speech marks, there was a lot of repetition and ...more
Richard Derus
Dec 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pearl Ruled (p100)--coincidentally, the end of chapter 8!
***see update below***
Rating: 1.5* of five

The Publisher Says: The international publishing sensation--over two million copies sold A reluctant centenarian much like Forrest Gump (if Gump were an explosives expert with a fondness for vodka) decides it's not too late to start over...

After a long and eventful life, Allan Karlsson ends up in a nursing home, believing it to be his last stop. The only problem is that he's still in good health,
Caz (littlebookowl)
This was fairly enjoyable and funny, but a little out there for my taste. While I understand that a lot of the crazy and unrealistic things that happen were for comedic effect, I tired of it eventually.
If you are looking for a witty, funny, light-hearted tale, maybe give it a try!
Kevin Ansbro
"I bear a charmed life."
-William Shakespeare.

Oh, what a fun read this was!
A real delight.
My wife was the first to devour it on a recent holiday and while doing so she chortled, chuckled and cackled with such gusto that I imagined someone had let a hyena and a kookaburra loose in our hotel room!
"Oh, you must read this, Kevin! You must read it!" She urged.
(And so I did).

Allan Karlsson absconds from an old people's home on the eve of his hundredth birthday.
He's on the run from the authorities in
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, Jonas Jonasson
Allan Karlsson is about to celebrate his hundredth birthday, and his retirement home in Malmköping is planning to throw a party. Allan is alert despite his age, but is not interested in attending the party. Instead, he climbs out the window and disappears. He walks to the nearest bus station, intending to travel as far as his available cash will allow. While at the bus station, he meets an angry young man with
Libbeth
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, 2012
If I could have read this book at school instead of dull text books 'O'level history would have been brought to life. I enjoyed the way historical figures and events were tied in with Allan's remarkable life story, I enjoyed the characters, the daftness of it all and of course what's not to love about an elephant.

F
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seen-movie, 2013, sweden
I loved this book! I have a soft spot for old men so maybe that helped!
I totally adored this old man! Such a sweetie and lead a very interesting life being involved in key points in history. (although I did find one or two of these historic chapters dragged on a bit)

Went straight into the story and the story was brillant.

Had so many unexpected events and moments in this book. Great characters including the chief inspector. Was brillant and kept me hooked the entire way through it. If in all
leslie hamod
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A debut novel by Jonas Jonasson, this book is laugh out loud funny!
General fiction, easily read, a wonderful imaginative plot and... What characters! Oh indeed, the characters! This book is highly entertaining and thoughtfully designed to be particularly poignant and meaningful. The humour of the story is a guise, and a good one on the state of how we treat our elder!y.
Allen Karlsson is 100 years old. He is the man who plans his escape. Why? He is not stupid, nor can he be stereotyped as well.
Simonne
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally bizar book :) A Forust gump kind of feeling. I've never read any kind of book like this one.
The author made me wonder many times what to expect next and often I had a smile on my face.

A bizar great fun kind of book.
Becky
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thought upon finishing this book (and the thought will sound negative but it's really not) is that it was much longer than I thought it would be. And I say that, not negatively, because truly, how much can you expect from an 100-year-old man who climbs out of a window?

Well, Allan Karlsson is not your typical 100-year-old man, and this book will prove it to you. I read some of the reviews before I started it, and many people compared the book to the movie Forrest Gump. After finishing
Hal
This novel is absolutely insane! It destroys any image you may have of the stoic, humorless Swede. You may want to avoid reading this book in public. Your guffaws, snickers and smiles are apt to draw weird looks from folks around you.

"The 100-Year-Old Man..." was a hit when first published in Swedish and continued as a comedic smash when translated into English.

It is certainly a rewriting of history. You meet a Franco, a Truman, a Mao, a Nixon and others along the way who are nothing like the
Charlotte May
2.5 stars.
I really had to push myself through this.
The premise was great - a one hundred year old man climbs out of the window in his old people's home and goes on an adventure, meanwhile we follow a separate timeline of his life before the home - Forrest Gump style.
I genuinely thought it would be great, and actually the present day parts were quite funny sometimes albeit just plain ridiculous everywhere else! But the parts that flashed back to his past, where he seemed to meet every
Catriona
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming, sweet and often hilarious black comedy.
Enter the world of Allan Karlsson - the 100 year old explosives expert who, during his rather extraordinary century, has met some of the most influential of world leaders, stolen from a ferocious gang member whilst he was in the toilet, developed an affinity with Sonja (who doesn't often take to people - she's quite a discerning elephant) and is a very loyal and protective cat owner.
Not one for sitting quietly when it's time to do something,
Ana
My first impulse was to give this a one-star rating, and after about two seconds of thinking, I did exactly that. However, after a more careful revision and after re-reading a couple of passages, I decided this should get a solid two-star rating. The reason is simple: a one star rating, by my mind, is for a book I deem incomparably stupid and written by an imbecile who can't put a couple of words together to form an at least decent story. I have given one star ratings before, and after looking ...more
Supratim
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, adventure
Allan Karlsson is the hundred year old man who climbed out of the wind of an old age home and disappeared. He had actually fled from the restrictive confines of the old age home. On a whim, he would also steal a bag full of cash from a gang member and thus begins his adventures.

He would make friends, both humans and animals, and a few enemies as well. We would also get to know about the incredible life Allan had led. The chapters would alternate between his past and the present adventures.

If
Margitte
This is the most hilarious, off-the-charts, tragicomedy-idea I have read in a long time. Probably the most outrageous bucket list in motion ever constructed as a plot. I felt a little bit psycho for sniggering where I should not. And laughing out loud made me question my own levels of emotional intelligence! But really, the book is written so bizarrely funny, I just could not help myself. Did I stop reading when I thought to rather see a shrink than continue? Of course not! The action-packed ...more
Debbie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quirky, debuts, funny
Maybe he thought the window was the bathroom door? Just sayin….

After all, he’s 100 years old--he's probably down a few pints by now and the bathroom may not be where he thinks it is. Nah, in truth I don't think the guy thought the window led to the bathroom; I think the old fool really did want to escape. But let’s get real—this guy was nuts! You wouldn’t see me climbing out of any damn window if I were 100! I’d want to stay inside, installed on my comfy recliner, staying warm in my turquoise,
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Want to know where 'the old man' went when he climbed out of the window? Curious? Stop reading the reviews --trust your friend --and take the journey yourself. [MANY other great reviews if you 'must' read some].

This book is priceless!

'Dudes' too will enjoy this book, also! Reading this, *Gary*! lol

Brian
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“… if you couldn’t know for sure then there was no point in going around guessing.”

“The 100-Year –Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared” is a novel that should not be taken to be more than it is. Do not expect this book to be great and you will be pleased. I don’t recall how it got on my ‘too read’ pile, I assume it was heavily discounted at the bookstore. Reviewers keep comparing it to “Forrest Gump” and having seen the movie, but never read that text, I assume it is.
The
David Sven
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
This book is in need of a better, more descriptive title than The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Seriously, it's about as imaginative as "Jonas Jonasson."

Here is a list of some alternative titles for your consideration Jonas son of himself - how about

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Went on a Killing Spree

or

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Likes to Blow Stuff Up

or

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of
Steven Godin
Abandoned p/77.

Couldn't connect with it at all, Allan Karlsson, the one hundred year old man in question was a pain in the bum, even in the brief time I spent in his company. The writing also felt lackluster and lazy.
If Jonasson set out with the good intentions to pen a warm-hearted, funny and feel good novel then fair enough, he has probably achieved this for the vast majority. Well, I am not in the vast majority, as in my eyes it was just plain bad, but at least I gave it a shot.
Bradley
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminds me a lot of Forrest Gump in that we've got a a goofy character who is edited into a ton of 20th-century historical landmarks; he is completely apolitical, loves to blow shit up, and is delightfully devil-may care. His elderly self hasn't changed in the slightest, and so we can continue to see the world through a pair of skewed eyes that are nonetheless quite fun. At first, I thought this might have turned into a modern-day Candide, but the story is still focuses very much on story and ...more
Carmen
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Hilarious book about a 100-year-old man who crawls out of the Nursing Home window and goes on many adventures involving, but not limited to: murder, elephants, and robbery.

The chapters about what's going on with Allan (the old man) now, at age 100, are interspersed with chapters about his many adventures in the past as an explosives expert. In his extensive worldwide travels he meets and befriends Franco, Stalin, Mao Tse-Tung, Presidents Truman and Johnson, Churchill, etc. etc.

I love the
Icewineanne
This is such a fun book. The story begins with Allan Karlsson, running away from his nursing home on the afternoon of his 100th birthday - just before the celebration is about to begin (with the Mayor & local media in attendance no less). He makes his way to the local bus station. And while he's waiting for a bus to take him out of town, a young tough asks him to guard his suitcase while he goes to the bathroom. Of course the bus arrives while the man is in the bathroom, and Allan doesn’t ...more
Noeleen
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect when I started reading Jonas Jonasson’s The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. I did know that I was in the mood for a right aul giggle and this little gem of a story most certainly didn't disappoint.

Taking us on a journey through the main historical events of the 20th century, Allan Karlsson has certainly lived an eventful, out of the ordinary, crazy life, meeting the top players in the political arena as he does so. Not only that,
Victoria

Let’s be honest, it’s a ridiculous title. I like ridiculous titles though, they breed curiosity at the very least (even if they do get shortened in discussion for ease and amusement – my favourite shortened title thus far is “Heartbreaking sh*tty sh*itness” – 5 points to the person who works out the full title first). So when Betty picked this for book club this month, I was at least drawn in by the title (and of course by the author’s fantastic name). And the ridiculousness of the title most
Ace
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I was expecting the 'story' to be with this book that has such a great title, but I didn't enjoy it.

I was not interested in the million things that had happened to Allan over the last 100 years. I thought it was all a bit ridiculous and I didn't connect with him or anyone else in the book, not even the elephant!

I absolutely loved The girl who saved the king of Sweden, so I'm baffled as to why this one didn't do it for me.
2 stars.
Adina
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, sweden
This weekend I saw the movie based on the book and I decided to upgrade my rating because I realized I enjoyed this book a lot. This is the perfect example of a well executed dark comedy. Jonas Jonasson sets the bar for humor literature for me. Such a a crazy, imaginative, delightful book this is.

• The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1)
  • The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry, #1)
  • A Man Called Ove
  • De naakte waarheid
  • De bètacanon: wat iedereen moet weten van de natuurwetenschappen
  • 뼈 있는 아무말 대잔치
  • My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
  • The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared: by Jonas Jonasson | Conversation Starters
  • Britt-Marie Was Here
  • The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman, #2)
  • 남주의 남자들
  • The Tattooist of Auschwitz (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #1)
  • Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
  • Mắt Biếc
  • 노란집
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  • 조화로운 삶
  • The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
After a long career as a journalist, media consultant and television producer, Jonas Jonasson decided to start a new life. He wrote a manuscript, he sold all his possessions in Sweden and moved to a small town by Lake Lugano in Switzerland, only a few meters from the Italian border.

The manuscript became a novel. The novel became a phenomenon in Sweden, and now it is about to reach the rest of the

The Hundred-Year-Old Man (2 books)
  • The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #2)
“Things are what they are, and whatever will be, will be.” 352 likes
“People could behave how they liked, but Allan considered that in general it was quite unnecessary to be grumpy if you had the chance not to.” 154 likes