Start by marking “Waking Nightmares” as Want to Read:
Waking Nightmares

Waking Nightmares

A collection of terrifying short fiction features stories about forests full of wooden demons and houses haunted by the future. By the author of The Count of Eleven. Reprint.

Fiction and Essays (view Full Listing)
1 • Introduction (Waking Nightmares) • essay by Ramsey Campbell
7 • The Guide • (1989) • short story by Ramsey Campbell
23 • Next Time You'll Know Me • (1988) • shor
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published October 15th 1993 by Tor Books (first published October 28th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Waking Nightmares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Nightmares

Nate D
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
After quiet enjoying Campbell's The Influence, I'm finding this collection of stories drawn from over a similar period rather underwhelming. Campbell here maintains an exquisite sense of place and image, and never really tips over into embarrassing over-reveals like lesser horror writers, but all the same there's just not that much going on beneath the surface here, at least as can be developed over 20 or so pages. I recall having the same issue with Harlan Ellison collections I've read: not pur ...more
Pam Baddeley
This is a collection of short horror and supernatural fiction published between 1980-89 and prefaced by a short introduction in which the author outlines the circumstances in which they were written. On the one hand, I admire the atmosphere and technique in which the very setting of the stories often contributes to a sense of claustrophobia, futility and ultimately inevitability of the protagonist's fate. On the other, reading so many over a couple of days does emphasise the similarity between s ...more
Bandit
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Ramsey Campbell writes such splendidly subtly unsettling horror. He does quiet dread feeling just about better than anyone out there. It's always interesting and impressive to read horror where the writer doesn't use gore, sex or extreme violence to convey the story, yet it's still so very effective. As a reader of various styles of horror, I appreciate it. I'd recommend it to any horror fan looking for something different, it would also be a great introduction to Campbell's work.
Michael
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A short story collection from Ramsey Campbell is like opening a kitchenful of cupboards, each one containing a distinct, disturbing, creepy treat.
Shob
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-junkie
Novels by Ramsey Campbell are almost impossible to find in bookstores these days. Instead, one can only find his annual compilation of Best New Horror (usually co-compiled with Stephen Jones). I find that quite odd for a horror writer who has churned out dozens of books over a career spanning over three decades.

So on my last trip to Singapore, i was almost delirious with excitement to have returned with a stack of Ramsey Campbell books from the second hand bookstore. Most were old editions and o
Rupert
Nov 06, 2010 added it
I have heard many times in my readings about Robert Aickman that Ramsey Campbell was similar to him. I finally got around to checking him out and although so far he can't touch the pure oddness and beyond literary magic of Aickman, this is the closest I've seen of that in another writer. A couple clunkers here, but otherwise a great book for cold weather. A lot of attention to nature and physical surroundings.
Adrienne Lee
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I rate this five stars for "The Trick" alone. One of the two most terrifying stories, along with M.R. James' "Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You My Lad," that I have ever read. There are several other solidly creepy stories in this collection as well. In my opinion, Campbell's best stories are those in the (M.R.) Jamesian vein.
Melissa
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of these stories were really interesting. I can see some people getting paranoid from reading this, but I liked it.
Megan
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great collection of brutal little stories. The last story is by far the best, but most of them are quite good.
Fabrizio Valenza
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Alcuni racconti li ho trovati molto belli, altri piuttosto strani. Pochi, infine, non li ho proprio capiti, forse problema mio o della traduzione talvolta involuta.
In ogni caso è un autore che prima non conoscevo, forse in Italia sempre considerato più per "addetti" che per il grande pubblico, ma che vale davvero la pena di far conoscere a fondo.
Alb85
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Mi ero fatto troppe aspettative su questo libro. Forse sarà perchè in questo periodo stò leggendo troppe collezioni di racconti horror e magari il genere mi sta stufando, ma non ho trovato nessun racconto interessante. Non riesco neanche più a ricordare la trama della maggior parte dei racconti.
Tatjana
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just ok. nothing more. some stories are better, some worse. not a King though.
David Catney
Mar 01, 2007
Erica
May 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."