Start by marking “Il segreto di Mont Brulant” as Want to Read:
Il segreto di Mont Brulant

Il segreto di Mont Brulant

Per Etienne, undici anni, quelle trascorse nella fattoria del nonno sono sempre state vacanze meravigliose, ma adesso qualcosa è cambiato. Chi sono, per esempio, i bambini laceri e scalzi che si nascondono sotto il ponte di pietra, nel bosco? Perché il nonno va in collera ogni colta che se ne parla? E come mai la montagna risuona del fischio di un treno che non esiste?

«Fan
Paperback, Shorts #3, 81 pages
Published February 1997 by Mondadori (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Il segreto di Mont Brulant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il segreto di Mont Brulant

Start your review of Il segreto di Mont Brulant
M. Reali-Elliott
May 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this a 1. Terrified the living crap out of me as a kid. Maybe as an adult or tween I could have handled it, but elementary school is just not the time. Yes, we should be teaching our children about this important time in history and about taking an ethical stance, but this is not the way. I learned nothing, except to keep the lights on at night. ...more
Julie Suzanne
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to know, UUs, parents to read with middle schoolers
This young adult ghost story is highly disturbing and sparsely embellished with terrifying pictures. Inspires readers to consider right/wrong and what could have been done differently in the Holocaust. A story about Holocaust remembrance, guilt, and fear.
Alex  Baugh
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
Ever since the end of World War II, 11 year old Etienne has spent his summers on his grandfather’s farm in Mont Brulant, France. Etienne can’t wait to get there this summer, dreaming of all the things he loves on the train trip, but when his grandfather, Monsieur Hoirie, picks him up at the train station, things feel different somehow. The usual summer magic and beauty are gone.

Riding in his grandfather’s horse-drawn wagon out to the farm, they pass a group of raggedy children. Probably refugees
Steve Ward
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a powerful story of one of the horrible outcomes of the Nazi genocide during WWII. At first it seems to be an innocent story of a grandson visiting his grandfather for the summer. But then with seeing people and hearing things that shouldn't be there the story changes to a sad tale of how the town people couldn't save some Jewish children. The guilt that plagues the older town folks has driven them many years after to try and forget the terrible choice they were given. Because of the inc ...more
Linda Lipko
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I simply love Library Thing! This book was listed as a recommendation based on my books cataloged. And now, I've discovered not only a book I can highly recommend, but in addition, I learned of the Sydney Taylor Book Award!

Steven Schnur's book was the 1994 recipient of the Sydney Taylor Book Award, established for authors of the most distinguished contributions to Jewish children's literature.

This coming of age book is the story of Etienne, an eleven year old young man, his grandfather and the s
Meltha
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book that I wish I could give half stars to, in this case 3 1/2, mainly because I'm on the line as to how I feel about it. It's well written, and there's an important theme to it, but it also crosses some boundaries that I'm not entirely comfortable with in some ways. It's a ghost story of children who died in the Holocaust, and certainly the historical events portrayed here are very similar to real ones, but this is a fictionalized account since the town described does not exist ...more
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 86pgs

Post WWII France. 11 year old Etienne can't wait to visit his grandfather and spend the summer on his farm. When he gets there, Etienne keeps seeing children begging for food, but the other adults claim they can't see them. In the woods, Etienne meets Isaac and discovers that even more children are hiding in the woods waiting for it to be safe for them to go home. None of the adults want to answer Etienne's questions about the children, but Etienne persists. Finally he learns that du
Janie
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was quite confusing at first. I couldn't tell what time period it was from, even though it's a holocaust book. The mystery was intriguing, however, and some of the illustrations were really disturbing, but in a good way. ...more
Britomarte Van Horn
Didn't work for me. ...more
Anna
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, favourite
So touching!I read it as a kid and it made me reconsider all the things i took for granted.I devoured it in only a day.A book that all children should read.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A very sad story. A reminder to never forget the innocent people and children, who were slaughtered, in WWII just because they were Jewish. (and anything else the Nazis thought were impure)
Emily Enghauser
This book was okay. I picked it up just for a quick read. I give it 3 out of 5 stars. I wish it had been longer, because it probably would have been way better than it was.
Kristi

• Lyddie
  • The Story of the Trapp Family Singers
  • A Family on Wheels: Further Adventures of the Trapp Family
  • War of the Whales: A True Story
  • Catwings (Catwings, #1)
  • A Day No Pigs Would Die
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • In Grandpa's House
  • Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes
  • The Aeneid for Boys and Girls
  • Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life
  • The Cry of the Crow
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin?: An Ecological Mystery
  • The Missing 'Gator of Gumbo Limbo (Ecological Mystery, #2)
  • Rain Reign