Start by marking “Perfect Pitch (The Diamond Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Pitch (The Diamond Brides, #1)

Perfect Pitch

(The Diamond Brides #1)

A hot, contemporary short novel by best-selling author Mindy Klasky.

Reigning beauty queen Samantha Winger is launching her pet project, a music program for kids. All she has to do is follow the pageant's rules - no smoking, drinking, or "cavorting" in public.

That's fine, until D.J. Thomas - God's gift to baseball - throws her a wild pitch. He slams her in an interview, and

Published January 30th 2014 by Book View Café (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Pitch

Chris
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
It really bums me out to give this 2 stars because I really like the writing and I really liked the characters. I had this at a solid 4 stars until the ending gave me whiplash. I don't understand why an author takes all the time building a story and developing the characters and then wraps up the story with a big bow in the matter of two pages....why????? There was no real resolution with DJ and his Dad, and the resolution with his son was only implied. It had so much potential, another 10 pages ...more
Sohinee Reads & Reviews (Bookarlo)
The Ending Was A Killer!

Everything was going great until the ending hit me. Before I talk about the last part let me just brief you on how I liked the book.

To say, I was really enjoying the story. A Lot. The characters were really developed, the plot was awesome sauce. It was a bit unique for a romance story. A blend of musical and sports. While Samantha has been trying her hand at introducing musical in schools while being the Summer Queen, DJ has been sharpening his pitching skills. The chemis
Shannon
Perfect Pitch

The Characters:

Samantha Winger
DJ Thomas

The Story:

DJ and Sam have an instant attraction. The reader can feel the sparks between them. Of course trouble ensues, and I’ll let you read all about that, but they eventually pull it back together. I do think the ending was wrapped up a little too quickly and they didn’t really work through their issues but assuming they do that I think they will make a great couple and a happy family.

The Random Thoughts:

3 Stars
Simone
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is everything you'd expect from a romance between an athlete and beauty queen.
And although it started well, it was a bit too cliche for my liking.
Risa Ann
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 MEh kind of stars...

Well…if you are looking for a quick light romance then this book won’t steer you wrong. It doesn’t have a lot of depth and it’s very short and pretty “typical” as far as romances go. Though the characters and plot didn’t really stand out to me as anything special the writing was good and easy to read.

This is one of those quick happy ending books to read when you’re stuck or in a lull. My low rating is NOT because I thought it was a bad read, it was really cute. It's just
Raine
It was an ok book. The end wasn't too satisfying since it seemed to wrap up rather quickly. He didn't seemed concerned for her when she (view spoiler)
Christina Montminy
Quick but very good read. First time reading this author & I have to say I enjoyed the book a lot. The quick love story of DJ & Samantha is funny, cute & heart wrenching with a lot of heat. DJ is a pitcher in the major leagues trying to make a name for himself in the shadow of his Hall of Fame pitcher father, while trying to raise his own 10 yr old son. Samantha is the reigning Miss Summer Fair Queen who happens to get drawn into DJ's life by misspoken words. Being held to a morals c ...more
Liz
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short, sports
Perfect Pitch was pitchy.

While well written (no typos or grammar issues), but I didn't get drawn into these characters and I really like stories within the sports subgenre.

This is a relatively short story (read in one setting in just a couple of hours), I felt that some aspects needed better closure (the relationship with his father, as one example).

There's an HEA, which I didn't love for a number of reasons, but most importantly, you never get to read "I love you" between the characters... even
Caro
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, own
This was a good freebie and kept me on my toes a little. This one was happy, a little sad, humorous, aggravating, exasperating, determined, and pretty much a really great steal. I liked the characters and would definitely like to read more in the series. I liked the characters, the story line and the great HEA. Good for the cuddle/snuggle and something you can most definitely eat ice cream with. :) It had me laughing, tearing up a little, and mentally berating some characters, but I kept on read ...more
Monica
This was a cute story with a baseball theme and music, which are two of my favorite things. The story starts with the Summer Beauty Queen be awakened by her phone. This is all due to DJ Thomas a pitcher making a comment about being stuck with the Summer Beauty Queen.

This is the set up for the potential romance between Samantha Winger and DJ Thomas. DJ apologizes and you can feel the attraction right from the beginning. Samantha wants to start a program called Musicall to bring arts back to the s
Tarra
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just ok. Too short to delve deeper into the characters. The reader is *told* that DJ and Samantha have these meaningful and personal conversations over the phone (like that's supposed to mean they get to know each other and fall in love). All we really read is some cut away phone sex. Abrupt ending, yet wrapped in a nifty little package. This book kept my attention, but it wasn't anything mind blowing or special.
Renee Babcock
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I've been reading a lot of heavy stuff lately so I'm giving my brain a rest with some lighter fare. I like Klasky's work and this was a nice, light, charming romance. Nothing unexpected about it, but sometimes one needs a little piece of candy.
Rita C
Feb 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
The female protagonist was too stupid to live. Bleh.
N.N. Light
DJ is a second-generation baseball pitcher and after pitching a great game, disses the reigning beauty queen. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing which he instantly regrets. He makes amends by apologizing to her with the cameras rolling. Talk about an electric meeting. He's instantly attracted and tries to pursue her. The paparazzi snaps their first kiss and suddenly, they're both in the headlines. Can they work things out or will they both me thrown out of the game?

I liked this romance as I'm a b
Dannie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Got this book as a freebie when I suscribed to the author's newsletter.

This is my second experience with Mindy Klasky's novels, my first encounter was with the Jane Madison books, which are light reads. So I was more or less expecting the same lightness and so I wasn't prepared for the hot, very hot scenes that were in the book. But I liked it. I actually was happy to see that the author was capable of such scenes. I more or less am accustomed to romances novels with hot scenes and thought that
Lucy
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an okay romance. I liked how there was a good reason for Samantha and DJ not to be together, I liked how they met in the first place and I thought they were a cute couple. I did think Samantha being a beauty queen, who wears make-up and heels, was a really nice change of pace from the women normally in these books who don't ever need make-up because they're so beautiful and they're 'not like other girls'.

On the other hand, I thought their issues were resolved far too quickly and I was
Alicia Hart
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I know there are deadlines when writing a story and you don't want to be cliche about somelines, but two things bothered me. One is common sense is if the project you are working in is that important and the guy you want is as well, could you not have waited one darn month to get everything you wanted all together in one fell swoop? Second I was looking for the title to be the ending line after she gets her program and Daniel was given that perfect pitch for his singing and if still playing b
Joanne Mcvey
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I must admit when I read the blurb I was a little apprehensive as I couldn't work out how the story was gonna work since they are two very different worlds. I loved how they actually met and that they had instant chemistry upon meeting one another. This book had the perfect mix of drama, sass, romance and heartbreak. It brought everything that you get into a relationship without sugar coating it. For such a short story they managed to include so much without it feelin ...more
Danielle Gypsy Soul
This one just wasn't for me. I liked it for the first half and then things just fell apart for me. D.J. acted like a spoiled brat one too many times. Their was a sudden instant love/proposal at the end and no real resolution between D.J. and his father or his son for that matter (although the second was implied). The grand gesture at the end just didn't sit right with me and I didn't believe the love at the end.
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
An enjoyable read. The hero got on my nerves a little bit. I'd have kicked him to the curb long before he woke up. The ending was a little abrupt, I'd have liked a little more insight into the HEA but it is a novella so it has to be kept short and sweet. Overall I felt like she packed quite a bit of story into the short story.
Ann
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Carol
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good

Not great. Liked Daniel. The Queen was a little wimpy, eleven months without a commitment of her program. Not buying it. And three days after school, when they have band, so that means they do have music, which contradicts her comments.
Did like DJ but not so much his treatment of son.
Blanca Magallanes
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan

Mindy is fun, her characters are well planned, her plot of Perfect Pitch was fun, sexy, witty, and as a former sports writer I appreciate the precision of her baseball lingo.
I simply loved every paragraph, from author to author and from the reader perspective... I'm a fan!
Anita Harris
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Baseball and beauty queens

Never thought a baseball player and a beauty queen would be the love interest in a book. They are about as far from each other in jobs as the east is from the west. Read this book. You will be surprised.
Sue Parker
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Samantha meets DJ when he makes a flippant remark about the Summer Queen. Which is what she is for. Little while longer. He has to apologize to her and then he asked her out. A small scandal occurs and she is ousted as the Summer Queen. It’s now up to DJ to make things right.
Barbara Strickland
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely read

This flowed beautifully, had lots of warmth, and some delightful and well rounded characters that connected easily with the reader.

Sweet, sexy and a good plot made this a lovely read.
R Malone
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
This is a novella, and understandably short. But the author manages to have enough development in the relationship and romance. The conflict between the MCs is resolved well, but the ending is quite open. I'm still happy to give this a rating of 3.5.
Angel Graham
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked Samantha and Daniel. DJ...not so much.

The ending made no sense, was totally rushed, and didn't clear a lot if things up.
Season
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really, really cute story. Not a lot of substance, but very entertaining. Would recommend. It made me laugh throughout.
Roberta Field
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay

Although this book is part of a series it can be read as a standalone.
A light and sweet romance with likable characters.
Easy to get into and a nice way to spend a few hours.

• Inside Heat (Mustangs Baseball, #1)
  • Summer Dreams
  • Fastball (Philadelphia Patriots, #1)
  • Claim Me (A1pha #3)
  • Running Back (New York Leopards, #2)
  • The Companion Contract
  • Playing the Rookie (Men of Spring Baseball #0.5)
  • One Wild Night (Wild Rush, #0.5)
  • Playing for Keeps (Play Makers #1)
  • Mind the Gap (In Too Deep, #4)
  • First Position
  • Crave (The Boys of Winter, #1)
  • Wild Ride (Changing Gears, #1)
  • Blood Unleashed (Blood Stone #3)
  • Pitch Imperfect
  • One Broke Girl (Edgewood Falls, #1)
  • On Thin Ice (On Thin Ice #1)
  • Awakening the Warriors (The Darkon Warrior Series #1.5)
Mindy Klasky learned to read when her parents shoved a book in her hands and told her that she could travel anywhere in the world through stories. She never forgot that advice.

Mindy's travels took her through multiple careers, including copyright lawyer and law librarian. Mindy now writes full time. Her books fall in a number of genres -- including traditional fantasy, urban fantasy, and category

The Diamond Brides (9 books)
  • Catching Hell (The Diamond Brides, #2)
  • Reaching First (The Diamond Brides, #3)
  • Second Thoughts (The Diamond Brides, #4)
  • Third Degree (The Diamond Brides, #5)
  • Stopping Short (The Diamond Brides, #6)
  • From Left Field (The Diamond Brides, #7)
  • Center Stage (The Diamond Brides, #8)
  • Always Right  (The Diamond Brides, #9)