Start by marking “Penance (Böhme, #1)” as Want to Read:
Penance (Böhme, #1)

Penance

(Böhme #1)

Demons of past mistakes haunt her. Mistakes of past demons haunt him.

Published May 14th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Penance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penance

Dee Montoya
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark
***3.5 Redemption Stars***

I was immediately drawn to this book after I saw the beautiful cover and read the interesting blurb. In this book the author does a fantastic job at humanizing these characters who were helpless to the abuse caused by their own parents shattering their hopes. But even in the darkest of days, the light always appears somehow...

Hanna comes from a very religious family where she was sheltered from everything her parents deemed immoral. She had a thirst for life, she wanted
M.
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-adult
Finally, a NA novel that doesn't suck. I highly recommend.
Liz
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
1 Billion Yet Stars Some books speak directly to your heart and have a forever hold. This book is it!!!! The emotions poured out of me... 1 click
TeriLyn
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

**Penance generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.**

When you sit down to read Penance prepare for an emotional journey through the intersecting lives of Wynn and Hannah. Told from alternating points of view, the melancholy ache hanging over the pages makes you desperate for a happily ever after. Wynn and Hannah present as two different characters than a lot of other New Adult main characters, especially Wynn. The author built their characters slowly which at times espe
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
2.5 STARS

I quite liked the uniqueness of the characters in 'Penance' and it did have it's good moments. But the whole thing was too OTT for me.

The characters problems/pasts were BAD problems, but their reaction to them was too much, there was too much anxiety and angst from them.
No kissing, no touching, doesn't like circles, has to be near an exit, doesn't like the way women smell, prefers to talk to strangers, just sex, no sex, doesn't like being around people, both in a self contained exile, h
M.H. Soars
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-swap
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review

I have no words to describe the myriad of feelings this novel instilled in me. Penance. A love story is a fantastic debut novel by the very talented Sarah Buhl. I need time to organize my thoughts to write a proper review.

Okay, here is the review:

In Penance we get to know two unique individuals that for different reasons are trapped in the past. They both carry their demons with them but the way they handle their stuff is very di
Mandy
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This story was very emotional. Wynn and Hannah are two very damaged people who have suffered awful tragedies in their lives. Wynn is a beautiful, tortured man with secrets and heartbreak. He is a virgin and doesn't like to touch people or be touched. His story made me cry and really broke my heart. He was really a beautiful character and you just want to reach through the book and hug him. Hannah really made me mad at points in this book and I had a hard time understanding her actions
Aestas Book Blog
Apr 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
I was sent a review request for this and liked the sound of it... seems very different so I'm adding it to my list :)

Demons of past mistakes haunt her. Mistakes of past demons haunt him.

Strangers cross paths every day. Moments are shared with a smile — the opening of a door, a nod of hello, or help with directions. Most don’t listen to that quiet intuition telling them that something different can be found in this stranger. There is connection and understanding in their eyes. There is truth in
Cristal
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely wonderful! The writing was beautiful, and the characters and their story was heart-breaking. Hannah and Wynn are two characters that will be on my mind for a while, because their love story touched me deeply.
This debut novel from Sarah Buhl, is on par with the works of much more established writers. Sarah truly has a gift because this story affected me greatly. She created a piece of art that made me FEEL severely, and infected me with the emotions of fictional character
Kristen Cansler
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r2r, blog-review
The Good
•The characters.
•The realistic love story.

The Bad
•Nothing. Penance. is perfection.

The Gif

You guys ready? 'Cause it's about to be gush and feels overload in here. Grab a boat. We're swimming in feels.

Whenever Sarah popped into my email to request a review, I was like YESPLEASESIGNMEUP. The synopsis got my attention immediately. It totally set my standards way high for this book. And Sarah? She exceeded them. Penance. is such a beautiful story. I was not ready for it to be over.

Women
Anita
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really had to push myself to finish this. The conversations had...the inner dialogue that went on and on was just TOO much. Everything out of their mouths was over descriptive and I found myself rolling my eyes. The main character, Wynn wasn't so bad, but Hannah? She was such a pain in the ass. :((
Rosemary
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a freebie on Amazon. I wasn't impressed by it even though it was rated highly. Hannah and Wynn are two very broken people. Hannah carries the guilt of her sister's suicide. She punishes herself by having random sex with lots of men. These hook-ups are her penance. She is not allowed to feel, hope, or want. Her body is to be used. Wynn spent his childhood being physically and sexually abused by his mother. This abuse has prevented him from engaging in any sexual encounters with women. On ...more
Christy
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Penance

Sarah Buhl I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This book left me breathless and filled with hope. The author drawls in you letting the characters devolpe and become real to you. Fast than you think you are rooting for the characters and wanting to know more about them. And not use the main characters, the supporting ones as well. I had to stop reading for awhile because I was not ready to say goodbye to Wynn and Hannah. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book an
Sara Burr
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“We may make bad choices, but we don’t have to let them define us.”

Penance. A Love Story is the debut novel by author Sarah Buhl, and I have to say that it’s probably one of the most impressive and captivating romances I have ever read. Ms. Buhl has a way with words that is beyond beautiful and their construction is so poetic that I found myself on more than one occasion thinking, Wow. When a writer is passionate about a story, it’s written all over their work, and it’s obvious that Ms. Buhl has
Andrew
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I will begin by stating that this is not something I would normally read - by genre at least. I considered this book to be a holiday in fiction.
Ok, got that out the way with..
I don't know if I'm the first male to review this book, the reviews I have seen have all been very good and most of them hold this story in high regard, and my review will mostly mirror those.
Penance. a love story - it starts very simply, and I like that. The focus is on two main characters, Wynn ( mistakes of past demons h
Lisa
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I'm not sure where to begin with this review. This book stole my heart and then some. I truly fell in love with Penance.a love story! It was written beautifully, with a lot of heart and depth.

Just about from the beginning, I was in awe at Wynn's inner dialogue. Its as if the author read my thoughts and feelings then decided to write a book about what she discovered. It was quite bizarre, let me tell ya!

Wynn is a person who dealt with extreme abuse as a child. Besides typical abuse that we a
Tamara
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
Words cannot express how beautiful this story is. I loved every single word of it. The author shows so much depth in this story. The truths, the ugly and the beautiful ones. The pain, the emotions, all of it. Woven together in such a way that make you live the story of Wynn and Hannah as you're a part of them. If you're a lover of words, the magic ones that make you feel everything, do yourself a favor and read this book.

Penance is a beautiful, poignant, powerful and heartwarming love-story.

I've
GoodGlory
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book to read and review from Wicked Reads.
Hannah is punishing herself in the worst way. Things that happen to us as kids affect our future. Things that happen to those we love? It can really mess you up. Wynn is also dealing with his own issues. Together they pull the darkness from each other. This story is about healing as much as it it about love. I liked this book . It was emotionally heavy. I had another review, about how I didn't think this book was amazing.
Trisha ❊ Devoured Words
This book is BRILLIANT. Incredible story line. So unique on its own. The way each word weaves itself into the readers mind creating feels throughout your heart and soul. Bright fireworks of FEELS follow in the background. Making the journey the most beautiful one. This isn't a romance book but real life with a love story. It is a journey of forgiveness, truth and love. It's a story of fighting your demons and coming out as a survivor. It's a story of seeing the real you in yourself. It's a story ...more
Sue Ann
Beautiful and Unique

Beautifully written and unique, I fell in love with this book and characters. I fell in love with Sarah Buhl's words. I highlighted and read parts out loud. I was deeply moved her words and characters. To put it simply LOVED this book and the writing style. I will be definitely be reading more of this author in the future.
Michele
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. I found it very well written and thoughtful. I suck at reviews but, I want to read more of her work, which to me is my #1 requirement these days of a new author. Would I read this book again? Absolutely.
Mary
May 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Did not finish…gave up at 34%. I just didn't feel any connection to the story. Wynn and Hannah seemed too Emo for me. And I didn't like Wynn's voice or thoughts….he sounded too girly. He said "OMG" in his head too many times…do 20 yr old guys really say OMG?
Kristin Young
Jul 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
At 29%, I finally gave up. I'm not one to NOT finish a book, and hated that I was unable to continue with this one. I absolutely did not get the storyline, and thought it was drawn out & just hard to stay interested.
Bookworm Betties
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewing-next, favs

Wow, I'm not sure where to begin with this review. This book stole my heart and then some. I truly fell in love with Penance.a love story! It was written beautifully, with a lot of heart and depth.

Just about from the beginning, I was in awe at Wynn's inner dialogue. Its as if the author read my thoughts and feelings then decided to write a book about what she discovered. It was quite bizarre, let me tell ya!

Wynn is a person who dealt with extreme abuse as a child. Besides typical a
Eunice
"Demons of past mistakes haunt her. Mistakes of past demons haunt him."

There is no better way of describing how past experiences had entwined Wynn and Hannah. They were both haunted. For how long is irrelevant. They were haunted and it brought there brokenness.

Hannah has been blaming herself for her sister's death for years. She believed that since she caused her sister's death, she doesn't deserve to life and happiness. she deserves numbness and hollowness and emptiness as well as pain. but nev
Tammi
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the very first book I read by this author and it was absolutely amazing. This story will stay with me for such a long time. I found myself highlighting so much it was freaking ridiculous. The words are like poetry and some of the lines have so much meaning it's breathtaking. I found myself trying to catch my breath quite a few times. Sarah has such a wonderful way with words:

"I love words. Sometimes words fill every part of my chest to the point that I could combust in on myself if I do
K.M. Galvin
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
from pagetrotter.blogspot.com

4.5 Fantastic Stars!!

Ok, FIRST OF ALL, this book ...how have I not heard of this book?!! Amazon and Goodreads need to get their recommendations checked because this was so my type of book. It was beautiful, funny, heartfelt, full of emotion without overwhelming the reader, filled with awesome characters, and so much depth I was up to my neck in my own feels.

How many times have I said I liked my characters a little messy? Broken? I also love when books are realistic.
Bryan Young
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there was such a thing as perfect conceptulization about imperfect people, this would be it. While reading "Penance" I never once thought that Sarah Buhl was a new writer and this was her debut novel. The exquisite elegance and spot-on raw emotion with which she wrote with led me to assume that she was a seasoned pro with several bestsellers under her belt already.

"Penance" is primarily about two people who are so damaged that it takes the miracle of finding and accepting each other to reali
Rosa
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very different from most of the NA genre I've read recently. Let's just say I finished this two weeks ago and I still feel deeply for the characters. In Penance: a love story, Sarah Buhl draws in her readers by illustrating all that is different, broken, dirty, wrong, and bad within Wynn and Hannah in a way which doesn't evoke pity or judgement.

The writing (particularly the dialogue) is refreshing and intelligent. I can't convey enough just how great it is to read a NA novel which doesn'
Claire
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. With some books it's just not that easy to write a review straight away, and certainly one like this when you just have to sit back and digest it a while when they have that effect on me.

Wynn, he hasn't had an easy life, years of abuse from his mother, having things done to him unimaginable that no child should have to go through, so he finds it hard to let anyone get past his walls he puts up.

He happens to meet Hannah who doesn't seem like any other girl and is dr
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shattered
  • My Winter
  • Red Dirt Road (Saving Angels, #2)
  • Forever Mine
  • Insipid
  • Before and Ever Since
  • Buried Secrets
  • Vanguard
  • Sins of the Father (Jesus Freaks, #1)
  • Ride On
  • When I Look to the Sky (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #2)
  • Kiss me, Chloe
  • Love Nouveau (The Art of Falling Duet #1)
  • Storm Front (Reunited Hearts, #1)
  • Fighting For You (Redemption Series, #1)
  • Lost and Found: The Complete Series
  • Where I End and You Begin
  • Mangled Hearts (Scarred Hearts, #1)
Sarah Buhl. Sci-fi lover. Self-professed TV and IMDB guru. Gamer. Dreamer. Mother. Wife. Friend. Author of novels.

Böhme (3 books)
  • dissonance. (Böhme, #2)
  • quintessence. (Böhme, #3)
“You have to let the laughter and pure joy fill you up, so the demons have nothing left to hold and you can be free.” 5 likes
“When there's nothing left to hide, we break ... Everyone is alone when they face themselves. We can stand against a thousand strangers but run to the far corners of our minds to escape our own darkness.” 5 likes