Start by marking “Altaica (The Chronicles of Altaica, #1)” as Want to Read:
Altaica (The Chronicles of Altaica, #1)

Altaica

(The Chronicles of Altaica #1)

“Look at her – she’s Hill Clan. Even the Matyrani don’t like them …”

Isaura – little is known about her race, but much is whispered. Born to refugees, she grows up enduring racism and superstition within a community that fears her. She has few friends, and those she treasures. Trapped, she longs for escape to a different life.

Escape is only the beginning of her troubles. H
Published June 6th 2014 by Odyssey Books

To ask other readers questions about Altaica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altaica

Phrynne
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I struggled a little with this one. The world building was great and I should have enjoyed it more. However the main character who was delightful, was introduced, allowed to feature strongly for about 25% of the book and then barely appeared at all until the final chapter. I found I was not sufficiently interested in the new characters who popped up and did not really enjoy the rest of the book. I am undecided about reading the sequel.
Donita Luz
I have Altaica on my currently-reading shelf since September, a month and 3-4 books later, it's still there, unfinished, not for the lack of trying really, because I did try, multiple times.. until I just couldn't do it anymore.
"They're not used to seeing women fight, that's all. It's one thing for them to know you carry a bow to hunt, but another to see it used like that."
Seeing the cover for the very first time, I thought this was going to be a very interesting and kick-ass high fantasy re
Veronica ⭐️

I enjoyed reading this Young Adult fantasy however nothing jumped out at me to say “this is amazing”. The blurb focuses on Isaura which led me to think she is going to do great things. That she was the main protagonist. When in fact, apart from killing one person with an arrow, (view spoiler). While the blurb isn’t incorrect it is a little misleading.

It was very hard to get attached to any of the character
The Captain
May 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Only got to 34%. Tried to finish it multiple times. Wanted to like it but didn't. I agree with the other two and one star reviews of book one.

Note: I got this in eARC from NetGalley because book two sounded good. I didn't post anything on me blog cause I have nothing more to say other than I won't be requesting book two.
Jenna O'connell
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With its deliberately broad age appeal and its exploration of deep and confronting themes, Altaica makes a strong addition to the speculative fiction genre. The novel fills numerous gaps I have been sorry to come across in the fantasy genre, particularly in its complex characters, strong female lead and its refusal to pander to audience sensibilities. Joyce unapologetically pushes her readers to the edges of moral complexities, leaving you thinking about this book long after you put it down.

The
Jeffrey
Great covers sometimes only tell part of the story. The cover of Tracy M. Joyce's "Altaica" is especially misleading because it overplays one character's presence in the novel, which is more about a group of refugees struggles on a barge while fleeing a war and their arrival into the new land of Altaica, which is facing a war of its own. There are well written characters on both the barge and in Altaica, but the cover seems to imply the novel will be about one character in particular. It is not. ...more
Sofia
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Read this review on my blog
*I received an eARC of this book on Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review*

"Altaica" is the story of the inhabitants of a small village, who are forced to flee their homeland to save their lives. Their fates become intertwined with those of the clans of Altaica, a far-off land.
Do you think this will be an exciting and interesting journey? Think again.
In this novel, the plot happens in three separate moments: there’s the beginning of the book, with the escape scen
Leigh
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely love the cover of this book. It is what first attracted me, but the premise is what sealed the deal. Isaura looks different than the others in her village, which has lead to suspicion and hatred. She does have a group of loyal friends, who treat her like family, but Isaura yearns for a new life. Together, Isaura, her friends and others from her village will make a perilous journey across the sea to escape an advancing a
Elleni
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read, with a compelling storyline. Isaura proves to be a strong protagonist, a role model for all. With a variety of rich and complex characters, this novel leaves you breathless as you are taken on their journey of survival. Altaica is a novel I would highly recommend to anyone, particularly young adults.
Gillian Murrell
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Books like this a few and far between. I feel the cover is a tease of whats to come in the series as we were introduce to Isaura in the the first part of the book, where she made a very memorable entrance but then she is secondary to the story as it builds around her in an effort to save her life. I loved that we were given insight to so many character and that they were easy to comprehend and enhanced to over all story. I did however have to look up the names of some of the weapons as they were ...more
Shelley Nolan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great start for a new fantasy series, with a well thought out and designed world and memorable characters. I love Isaura and Pio and their family and friends and was thinking about the story long after I read the last page. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series and finding out what happens next
Vacen Taylor
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Altaica by Tracy M. Joyce begins with Isaura discovering the arrival of the Zaragarian troops marching forward after devastating a market town. I won’t recite the plot here as other reviewers have already done this. The first part starts slow, for me, but that’s not unusual for fantasy as most books of this genre use a particular style of writing to slow the pace. The story soon picks up pace. I particularly liked the cultural aspects, the politics, warfare and the magical elements.

The story ta
M. C. (MagsTheBookWorm)
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
Altaica is the fantasy adventure of a group of villagers fleeing their homeland and the murderous invaders descending upon them. The main character, Isaura, was a healer from the village but was never made to feel like anything but an outcast. We get to see her bravery as she valiantly defends the others from scouts sent by the invading force as they push off into the main channel of the river. Before long, however, they reach the ocean. But instead of following the coastline as planned, the cur ...more
Bethany
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I decided to read Altaica purely because of the good cover, I had no expectations before reading it whatsoever. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised. The characters introduced are fleshed out and each have interesting personalities. Joyce has clearly researched into battle strategies/equipment which is reflected in her book.
She makes a relatively simple plot entertaining and intriguing. The main female leads don't fall flat
Martha
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Some of us just start out in the wrong place. It’s like the stork, or the baby-angel makes a mistake and drops us down where we shouldn’t have been. As one of those who spent 2/3rds of her life wandering America and then Europe, before finding a place I could really call home, this story of a group of ordinary people escaping from a rapacious invading army, resonated strongly with me. Isaura, one of the book’s main protagonists is a healer and purveyor of magic in an insular village of ‘salt of ...more
Kathryn Gossow
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had so much fun reading this. It is full of adventure and strong female characters - the women drive much of the story. The world the author has built is suitably unfamiliar for a fantasy novel - but also familiar, the distrust of people who are different and the need to flee your home because of war and the vulnerability of 'boat people' when they are in a new place. The ending left me wanting more of this world and its mysteries.
Allie
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, ebook
***Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review***

Summary:

Escape is only the beginning of her troubles. Having fled an invading army with her friends, Isaura is faced with heinous choices in order to survive. Secrets from h
Jackie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and truthful book about things people don’t understand. Dealing with someone that is different. Perfectly written. Couldn’t put it down.
Gill
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a newcomer to the fantasy genre, I was unsure about what to expect when reading Altaica. From the very beginning, Altaica immersed me into a world far removed from my everyday life and introduced some of the many complex characters around whom the story is centred. The level of detail required to set the scene and embark on the journey was, at times, quite overwhelming. Nevertheless, perseverance paid off and the pace picked up about one third of the way into the book.

The action is centred on
Clive Dickinson
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Altaica Book 1 is a fast-moving, constant action fantasy. The heroine is a young girl who finds herself in an impossible situation. Although she is resolute in her dealing with this situation she is by no means sure of herself. She is surrounded by characters who love her initially, but as the story evolves her circle of companions enlarges and not all are what they seem. The newcomers in her life have their own political, social and emotional agendas and Isaura's plight and her future become en ...more
Sibil
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Netgalley

I had to think a lot about this one before I could write a review and give it a valutation. I was expecting more but, in the end, it was quite a good reading.
The plot is good, the characters are well done (but they all have unpronounceable names, and I cannot remember them. I just remember some of them as might as I try. And I think Isaura is not a good name) and the book is fast paced and intersting.
Mary Hartshorn
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Altaica is a story about Isaura, a young woman who despite living her whole life in her village and helping people alongside her mother as a healer, is treated as an outsider. Isa has some loyal friends in Jaime, Daniel, Curro, Nicanor and his family, but everyone else dislikes her. Even her father. Isa is an unusual girl with skin a darker shade than the natives due to her mother’s clan, which everyone distrusts. Isa is very skilled in the art of healing, and hunting with no fear or hesitation ...more
Emily Bisset
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I would like this book as it is not a genre I read much of, but I loved it!! In the beginning it was a little hard to follow all the different characters, especially with all the different points of view. But the more I read, the more involved I got, and I couldn’t put it down!! I can’t wait for the next in the series!
Mawson Bear
Your reviewer made a classic blunder when buying Book One of the Chronicles of  Altaica: not getting Book Two at the same time. And made another blunder on opening it for 'just a quick look' at lunchtime. I was embroiled in desperate situations on page 38 before realising I was late for work. Quick peeks are not going to work for you with this pacy story. Fortunately 'Asena Blessed' is now to hand and I will be soon immersed once more in this world created by Tracy M. Joyce.

'Her stories are grit
Windpetal
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A review of Altacia by Tracy M Joyce

Altacia: The title of this book grabs the readers in, the mystery of what it means instantly hooking the audience. Is it a place? Could it be a person? The questions this title brings intrigues the audience to pick up the book and find out. Although the title gives nothing away, the beautiful cover shows this book is going to be an action packed thriller, filled with magic and adventure.
The blurb also hints at a dark fantasy type book. With a direct quote abo
Jess
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads, unhauled
3 Stars

I picked up my copy of Altaica at Supernova 2017 along with its sequel Asena Blessed. After meeting the author and letting her explain the synopsis to me I was sold! It’s wonderful to meet authors who are proud of their work and speak passionately about it.

The story ‘sort of’ follows a girl named Isaura who along with a group of other villagers decide to flee their homeland in search of new lands to call home. They are given no choice as the approaching Zaragarian soldiers offer nothing
Renée
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Altaica is essentially the story of the meeting between two civilisations, one fleeing from war and destruction, while the other heads for it. The Arunabejarians have fled their homeland from the murders and raids of the Zaragarian tribe, journeying across vast waters with limited supplies on an old barge. Emotions are tightly strung between friends and lovers and the questions of ethical actions for survival are tried by many and hope dwindles as conditions worsen.

Meanwhile in the land of Alta
Kaye
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOOK FOR YOUR NEXT GREAT???
If you're looking for an adrenaline pumping, heart pounding, pulse racing, smooth flowing read that captivates from the start and holds your attention. Congratulations my friends you've found it. The characters and scenes are so realistic and spot on. With such detailed descriptions it was easy to sink into the read and watch as it all came together. I followed the characters and was fascinated as their personalities transformed and blended. A word of advice when you g
Sera
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this book at one of the local conventions here. Drawn in by the little teaser that Tracy gave away.

It was interesting, though there were some points where the book fell a little flat, overall I enjoyed reading the book. As it got further in, I found the more I was enjoying it.

But it was the ending that I was really like "oh my god" where is the next book? I /need/ it and I regretted not buying that at Supanova.

I would definitely recommend it to people, it had enough differences that i
Ursula Visser
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished reading this book 😍!
Tracy M. Joyce has written an epic fantasy book, full of mystery, wonder, and awesome worldbuilding. Written in two parts, from several POV's, to fully explore the story. I am totally starting the second book now!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Aussie Readers: Tracy M. Joyce - Fantasy Author 14 22 Jul 20, 2015 02:40AM
  • The White Oak
  • Harlequin's Riddle
  • Songlines (The Sentinels of Eden, #1)
  • Scarlet (Dead World, #2)
  • Mistress
  • Desert Angel
  • A Carnal Agreement (Regency Intrigue, #1)
  • Bride of the Water God, Volume 4
  • Hunted (Eternal Guardians #8.75; 1001 Dark Nights #62)
  • Sky Doll
  • The Last Descendant (Sanyare Chronicles, #1)
  • The Elementalists
  • Riot
  • A Red Tale
  • The Hungry Isle (Star of Deltora, #4)
  • What Not To Expect When You're Expecting
  • Demon Crossings (Twilight of the Gods, #1)
  • A Woman Worth Ten Coppers (Shadowed Path, #1)

Tracy writes epic fantasy for teens through to adults. Her stories are gritty, a little dark and morality is like quicksand. You won’t find any unicorns or fairies here…

Although her stories include romantic elements, they are not romance driven novels. Do not buy these books if you’re after a fairytale….

Consider this a warning: Expect kickass heroines, battles (big ones, small ones - let’

The Chronicles of Altaica (2 books)
  • Asena Blessed  (The Chronicles of Altaica, #2)