Start by marking “Scars (Totem, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scars (Totem, #1)

Scars (Totem #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Alternate cover edition for ASIN: B00JJ4D8NY

Abby and Josh, two teens who will find themselves on the frontline of an assault on Old Wachusett, have no idea what is about to attack their community. They better figure it out soon, because they are the keys to stopping an ancient, supernatural evil that will destroy anything and anyone that gets in its way of satisfying its
Published April 6th 2014 by CML Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Scars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scars

★Moonrise Books
In 1978, as a great blizzard descends upon the City of Old Wachusett, Massachusetts, we are introduced to a variety of characters. Going about their lives, and facing an array of relationship and other challenges, a sense of impending doom is cast upon the people of the city.

Achak and Kimi -- both from a different time -- are in search of a powerful Totem in a land once inhabited by their tribe. Setting out on a collusion course with the people of Old Wachusett, the fate of those in their paths
Heather Blair
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought Totem as part of a pay-it-forward read and review project. For the most part, I REALLY enjoyed this book, as in really really. It is hard to classify as far as genre, but mostly I guess it's sci-fi/fantasy, with generous dashes of horror and suspense. It centers around the people of a small NE town on a February day in 1978; the day a blizzard strikes, some odd strangers arrive, and rather terrifying and unfortunate things start happening.

As mentioned by other reviewers, there is a larg
Lily .
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about Scars (Totem #1) so I decided to format this review a little differently, in three sections.

Section One – Quality of Writing

Five stars, solid. The writing is excellent and clean. All the details, every character, is three-dimensional, natural, and real.

Section Two – Story ideas

4 stars. I found most of the ideas and concepts involved intriguing and I wanted to know more.

Section Three – Plot structure

One star. This is where I have mixed feelings. The first half of the b
Steve Lindahl
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Totem: Book 1: Scars by C. Michael Lorion is the story of Kimi, a one eyed Native American woman who has traveled through a "passage" into modern times in search of her brother. She has not made the journey to save her sibling. Kimi and her brother, Achak, do not have anything approximating a close, family relationship. In fact, the book begins with Kimi suffering a serious injury at the hands of her brother and moves on from there as Kimi tries to save the world from her brother's actions.

Lorio
Katie Beitz
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Totem is a well written and interesting read. Lorion's use of language and ability to create vivid imagery is particularly impressive. There were many times that I read a sentence and thought how clever it was.

The narrative is complicated and the constant changes of point of view had me confused a little at first. It wasn't until about half way through that I finally managed to keep the different characters and their relationships straight in my head.

I did like the way that this author was abl
Carrie
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
*Author provided a copy for an honest review.*

Totem follows a whole host of people as they one by one get pulled into what promises to be an epic battle of good and evil. Travelling forward through time, Kimi and Achak, two siblings on opposites sides are searching the mysterious Totem and the power behind it. Meanwhile, the rest of the town is going about their business as normal. Only their lives are more interconnected than one could have guessed.

There is a huge cast of characters to follow.
Jennifer McDonald
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Totem began brilliantly and held my interest until the end.
The elders of Kimi’s tribe send her on a quest across space and time. She’s to find both her brother and the Totem. What is the Totem? Good question. Kimi doesn’t even know; she’s never seen it or knows what it looks like. This might discourage other lesser girls, but Kimi proves to be a strong and resilient heroine. Her search takes her to Wachusett, old Wachusett to her, on the day of a great blizzard. There we meet several characters
David Torres
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Starting off in the book I was hooked. But then as the chapters went by, I was introduced to so many characters, that I had trouble keeping up with who is who and my head was starting to spin.

Aside from that, each character was unique. Different in their thoughts and mannerisms. Lorion made each character seem... human. Believable. And I liked that. Reading through their emotions, and ethical and moral battles raging withing their mind, I felt like I could relate to more characters than one. Ri
Sarah Roberts
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
In Totem Book 1: Scars, author C. Michael Lorion has a masterful way of making the reader believe. His words paint a picture with such depth that the characters more than connect with the reader; they come to life. I was truly impressed by his attention to detail and by the subtlety of his prose.

Totem is intriguing and engaging, combining the day to day conflicts of life with the mysterious and the mystical. At times the pacing is slow, but this is not to the story’s detriment as it allows for t
Clayton
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to believe this is the author's first novel.
Dianne
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ready for some mystical time travel, ancient beliefs, revenge and salvation? Grab your mittens and boots, because we are headed into a blizzard of epic proportions that brings with it strangers, strange events and danger. Totem by C. Michael Lorion, the first novel in a trilogy, lays a firm foundation for the installments to come, leaving just the right amount of unanswered questions to make reading the next books a must!
We aren’t dropped gently into this story; we are plunged into the past, as
Rebecca
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.**

TOTEM: SCARS is a clever weaving of Native American mythos and 1970's New England living. We are introduced to Kimi, a girl displaced in time and hunting down her vengeful brother Achak, both searching for a mysterious source of power known as the Totem.

In Old Wachusett, Mass., it is 1978 and Josh has agreed to give his ex-girlfriend a ride to her mother's grave, thanks to her unreliable father. The man uses his
William Bode
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This fictional story takes you across centuries and drops you in the 1970s, which means if you are a Baby Boomer, this takes you back to your childhood or maybe your teenage years.

The descriptions of the this normal New England community from the 70’s are so precise that it will make you wonder if the author had visited your bedroom as a teenager, complete with LP’s from the popular groups of the decade, the huge stereo speakers that either you had or knew a friend who did, and popular posters o
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
This is one of the things that I absolutely love about being a book blogger! A some time ago, this author contacted me to ask if I would like to read and review his book. The premise intrigued me, so I gave it a shot.

Wow, Totem left me with so many questions. First and foremost, when will book 2 be released? What has happened to Abby? Where will Kimi go? C. Michael Lorion has created such depth in his characters that I want…no, not want…I need to know more! I have to know where this story is goi
Ember Shane
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was scrolling through my "read" bookshelf and came across this book for which I had written a review for last winter. My rating and review are gone. Strange. I'd also reviewed on Amazon, so I'm copying and pasting my original review here:

Ember Shane
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not my normal genre, but found this novel to be both engaging and entertaining. The entire novel takes place in the span of a handful of hours during the middle of a blizzard in Old Wachusett, Massachusetts. There are multiple characters, and each chapter switches the POV between them. I enjoyed that aspect. Each character had their own unique voice, and I was driven to find out more about their own individual stories. Some characters didn't get quite as much "face time" as others, but I imagine ...more
Justin
Jun 06, 2014 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
It's been almost a year since I started reading this book. I've decided at 23 chapters in I just can't get myself to read anymore. I find it to be boring and 23 chapters in I feel like nothings happened. Just can't get into it and at times it's hard to follow.
Eric Klein
Jan 05, 2017
Tera Comer
Jul 29, 2017
C. Lorion
Apr 12, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-novels
Jane
added it
Jul 17, 2014
Kevin
Jul 29, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Combine and create series, please 7 23 Jun 08, 2014 03:04PM
Book Trailers - C...: Totem 11 21 Jun 08, 2014 01:50PM
C. Michael Lorion's debut novel, Scars, the first entry in the Totem series, was released in the Kindle Store on April 8, 2014. A former librarian, automotive parts clerk, and high school math teacher, C. Michael Lorion left his full-time reaching position a few years ago to pursue a lifelong goal of writing a novel and attaining a writing career.

He now lives in a small central Massachusetts town
More about C. Michael Lorion