Start by marking “In Bed with a Spy (Spy in the Ton, #2)” as Want to Read:
In Bed with a Spy (Spy in the Ton, #2)

In Bed with a Spy

(Spy in the Ton #2)

THE BREATHTAKING NEW 'SPY IN THE TON' NOVEL OF REGENCY SUSPENSE FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE SMUGGLER WORE SILK

Revenge has never been so seductive.

When her husband is killed at Waterloo, Lilias Fairchild takes up his cavalry sword and boldly storms the front, earning herself the nickname Angel of Vengeance. But there is another angel on the battlefield who is just as
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published December 2nd 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about In Bed with a Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Bed with a Spy

Start your review of In Bed with a Spy (Spy in the Ton, #2)
Caz
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aar, arc, dead-tree
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars (but it was <> this close to being a DIK).

I haven’t (yet) got around to reading Alyssa Alexander’s début novel, The Smuggler Wore Silk, but having heard good things about it from friends whose opinions I trust, I was keen to read her latest book, In Bed With a Spy. I was very impressed with the author’s ability to create a fast-paced story and compelling, rounded characters, and at the same time to develop a romance with a very “adult” feel to it
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

“There is no espionage here. No memories. There’s only a man and a woman.”

This was one hot little potato!

The bare bones: widow who finds out she maybe didn't know her husband as well as she thought, spy seeking revenge for his murdered lover, widow and spy awakening each other's sexual desires, and a dangerous espionage game of cat and mouse.

The vast majority of this book is sensual, think a step beyond sexy because the emotion between our leads is extremely on point. For every one
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
3 1/2 Solid Stars!

It feels like I have been on the roll lately with my historical romances, once I go on that kick it seems hard to stop. Besides, it's been a while, so I guess it was okay and time to indulge. Naturally I was drawn to In Bed with a Spy, historical romances with a spy plot line? Yes please. It's been a while since I read one with them in it and it always promises to be entertaining.

I liked the book well enough. Lilias Fairchild lost her husband when he was killed during the war
Tracy T.
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Story. Loved it. It started out great and ended great. Can't help but love a good historical romance spy book.
The heroine, Lilias was awesome, strong, witty, smart, spunky and beautiful. Wielding a sword on the back of stallion in a battle makes for a kick ass heroine. The hero, Angel was great too, handsome, strong and smart.
The chemistry between them was great. It was real and genuine, not forced. There was some really well written sex scenes, some of the best I have read actually.
Nicole Laverdure
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking romantic suspense! 6 stars
Fiction historical lovers will love Alistair and Lilias's story! If you love a romantic Regency suspense, then you will adore IN BED WITH A SPY, that got me pulled into the story, so much, that I could not put it down,I read it in two days! Written by Alyssa Alexander, it's the passionate love story of two tortured souls! I really enjoyed this book, the second in her series SPY IN THE TON. I loved her two main characters Alistair, AKA Angel and Lilias, two
Monique
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just about fell in love with Angel in The Smuggler Wore Silk, Ms. Alexander’s first book in this series, and I must say I am overjoyed with the results: IN BED WITH A SPY is simply perfect! The romantic and mysterious Angel, besides fighting assassins, traitors and conspirators has found a sensuous and enigmatic widow to brighten up his life.

IN BED WITH A SPY is even more beautifully written than the first book, the romance is as exciting as the spying. It’s brilliant! Definitely no sophomore
Jennifer McQuiston
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved In Bed with a Spy, and you will too! Alyssa Alexander's second book delivers a sensual mystery packed with intrigue, mistrust, love, and the occasional weapon-wielding heroine. The heroine in this book, Lilias, is a widow who believed her first marriage was pretty darn good... until the secrets around her deceased husband's life and death begin to unravel, and it seems she may have married an assassin.

With that premise, the book goes on to reel you in and not let go!
Shelee at Book Reader Chronicles
I absolutely loved this novel. I find that authors who write Historical Romance either have it or they don’t. You can’t fake a Historical; you have to have the language, the writing, the storytelling to be able to imitate something from a different time period. And Ms. Alexander captivated me with her writing. I felt like I was in the early 1800’s and it was great.

“His fingers twitched reflexively. She wanted to dance.”

Lilias is a beautiful widow who fought in the battlefields of Waterloo after
Mariana
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't know how this ended up on my to read list.

The intrigue and spy portion of the story was interesting, but the romance felt undeveloped. I felt bad for their first loves and did not understand when or how these two fell in love.

I do not plan to read more by this author.
Amanda
This was a tough one to rate and review. Mainly because the book left me muddled and wanting. And much like the leads, I yo-yoed back and forth trying to sort out my feelings. On one hand, the book had a lot of exceptional qualities which mainly centered around the heroine and contrastly, it a lot of not so stellar aspects, such as the blah hero, cartoonish villain and wishy washy romance. I’ll start with the negatives first just to get them out of the way.

I found Angel as a hero unremarkable
Barb Lie
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In Bed with a Spy by Alyssa Alexander is the 2nd book in her Spy in the Ton series. This is my first book by Alyssa Alexander, and after finishing In Bed With a Spy, it will not be my last. I do enjoy some Historical/Regency Romance, but it is not my go to, as I usually prefer Contemporary Romance. When I started this book, it caught my interest immediately when the soldier in the midst of a war battle was mesmerized by the beautiful lady on horseback wielding a sword to fight off the enemy…it ...more
Trish R.
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book..

It was an exciting prologue and when the book really got started I was so engrossed I couldn’t get through the pages fast enough. THEN, I thought OMG Angel’s going to spend this entire book thinking Lilias is guilty and she’s not going to understand why and it’s just going to go on and on with so much angst and misunderstandings. Umm… NOPE! Yay! It was at about 20% that he knew she wasn’t guilty and there was not going to be any ‘serious’ misunderstandings. I’m so pleased with this
Kimia Safavi
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Romantic Suspense!

In Bed With A Spy is the second book in this amazing series (Spy in the ton). Alistair Whitmore, the Marquess of Angelford is a British spy and rake who is captivated by the beautiful woman he saw in battlefield two years ago. When he sees her in the crowded ballroom, he can't stop his attraction to her. Lilias Fairchild nickname Angel of Vengeance is a young widow out of mourning after 2 years. This is a fantastic romantic suspense, Alyssa Alexander's writing
Kimberly Kincaid
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This author continues to show us the perfect balance between smart intrigue that keeps you on the edge of your seat and a sexy, wonderful romance worth rooting for. This hero-heroine combination is particularly appealing. No delicate flowers here, as Lilias is as fierce and engaging as Angel. Both main characters are simply wonderful, and I dare you to find a couple who can go toe to toe more perfectly. The suspense plot in In Bed With A Spy is far from secondary, and it's clear Alexander has ...more
Kim Fournier
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Boy, oh boy! What a rush! Whew! (Picture me fanning myself!) "The Smuggler Wore Silk" was an excellent first novel, and the author sure hit the ground running with this second one. Tight writing -- in spots it almost makes you hum, like a well-played violin string. (And there's a lot of that imagery in this novel.) It's so steamy, it will peel wallpaper; yet it's a good solid story supported by good characters. Do pick it up. I found my copy at Barnes & Noble.
Kat
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You gotta love a heroine who picks up her dead husband's saber and charges into battle....at Waterloo, no less! I totally loved Angel. But what made this a five star read? The violin music Angel played for his H, and the romance which followed. It was absolutely beautiful. So much it made me cry.

Can we please have Jones's story? Please?
Loralee Lillibridge
Romance, intrigue...this book has it all. Another winner from talented Alyssa Alexander.
Cynthia
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: met-the-author, 2018
I read this book, because Alyssa Alexander was recently the speaker at my local Romance Writer's of America meeting and I had met her previously when I purchased this book.

Alexander is a superb writer!

In Bed with a Spy held many layers of internal and external conflict, heightening the stakes, for both the hero and heroine. The sex scenes were not randomly thrown into the story, they're a natural consequence of the plot line and blend very well within the narrative. At the end it seemed that
Sara Ann
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of Alyssa Alexander's books that I have read, but I will definitely be seeking out others! It's always a little exciting to read of espionage and thrilling to read of the action and danger involved in that life, the romantic entanglements, on top of both the hero and heroine's past loves should have almost seemed too much, but it gave them a personality that matched them perfectly! I also greatly appreciate that it took me the majority of the book to figure out who the villain ...more
Annalice
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like how it was a romance with a plot, too. The plot was exciting, kind of a spy novel without the whole mystery, though there was a mystery aspect to the novel. There was danger and everything.

Though I wish we could have known Angel's personality better. The sex was beautifully written and you could tell there was so much compelling passion and lust in their relationship. It was crazy how much there was, really. I didn't really like how they barely knew each other when they first made love.
Rachel
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really excellent, with lots of heat and a spy plot that actually seemed integral to the story. I loved it right up to the end, when there was an action sequence that strained my ability to believe in the result.
Melinda Žvan
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved both characters. Strong, passionate, fearless,... I loved their relationship, no boundaries, slow growing love :). I adore little Maggie and her frankly language. Now, I can't wait to read a story about Westwood and Vivienne.:)
Staci Suhy
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free as part of a first reads promotion
Jenn
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 stars. Great storyline. Very sensual. Loved it!
Cat C
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
An intriguing historical with some nice mystery and action elements. Plus, a conflict with a point of confusion that doesn't turn into the Big Misunderstanding driving the whole plot - refreshing!
Pam
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-this-book
An intriguing romance with enough twists, turns and mystery to satisfy many of my wants in a historical romance featuring a dash of espionage and excitement.

Alastair Whitmore is the Marques of Angelstone, but he also hides a another identity as a spy for the Crown, his code name is Angel and he has been very successful in his endeavors. Yet always in the background is his sorrow for the one woman he could not save and the burning desire to find the one that killed her, a Death Adder.

Lilias
OpenBookSociety.com
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: daniele

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Daniele

In Bed With a Spy gets off to an exciting start when Lilias Fairchild, wild with grief after her husband is mortally wounded during the battle of Waterloo, takes up her husband’s saber and charges into battle with no mercy. She briefly locks eyes with Alistair Whitmore, the Marquess of Angelford, and he carries the vision of her with him long after the war is over. She earns the moniker Angel of Vengeance, and her
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
This was wonderful - a revelation - a book in which the H&H actually talk to each other, and in which there are no secrets. In this witty, sensual, satisfying story, the hero (Angel) shares early on his suspicions with Lilias, she comes to him with her discoveries. It feels a curiously adult book for that reason - I hadn't realised the extent to which I've been conditioned by the genre to expect the hero to keep things from the heroine "for her own good", or for the heroine to be
Terry
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-history
Nadine Jones
I almost gave up on this book early on, because of the ridiculously purple prose ...
From page 6:
Such was the glittering and dazzling world of the ton. But underneath the gleaming polish of society were passions and intrigue and secrets. It was his mission to,seek them out. And beyond his government assignments, beyond the political intrigues, was the enemy who had assassinated a woman four years ago.
His woman.
Gemma.
Cold anger turned him from the scene. "I believe I may follow your lead and make
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 24, 2015 06:03PM

• The Pirate and I (Devil's Duke, #2.5)
  • I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke, #0.5)
  • The Earl (Devil's Duke, #2; Falcon Club, #5)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)
  • Love and Let Spy (Lord and Lady Spy, #3)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • A Rogue of Her Own (Windham Brides, #4)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • The Rogue (Devil's Duke, #1; Falcon Club, #4)
  • Let Sleeping Dukes Lie (Rules of the Rogue, #3)
  • Running Mate (Devlin Dynasty, #1)
  • Not the Duke's Darling (Greycourt, #1)
  • The Ideal Wife (Stapleton-Downes, #1)
  • Secrets in the Mist (Gothic Myths, #1)
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
Historical romantic suspense writer with an addiction to good food, good books, sleep and yoga.

Not necessarily in that order.

Spy in the Ton (4 books)
  • The Smuggler Wore Silk (Spy in the Ton, #1)
  • A Dance with Seduction (A Spy in the Ton, #3)
  • The Lady and Mr. Jones (A Spy in the Ton, #4)