Start by marking “Red at Night” as Want to Read:
Red at Night

Red at Night (Pushing the Limits #3.5)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  4,173 Ratings  ·  549 Reviews
In Red at Night, Stella and Jonah are total opposites. She's the girl with purple hair from the wrong part of town. He's a high school senior who hangs with the cool crowd. Until a car accident leaves him haunted by guilt, and Jonah starts spending time at Stella's favorite refugethe local cemetery.

Stella knows she should keep her distance—after all, she spent her girlhood
ebook, Harlequin More Than Words, 100 pages
Published April 1st 2014 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Red at Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red at Night

If it ain't good I don't read it !
So i stumbled across this book one day and I'm just like, "Hey this sounds nice"

Then for some reason my eyes started to wonder towards the authors name Katie McGarry

description

The name looked familiar for some reason, and I'm sitting there trying to place where exactly I'd seen it when it dawned on me

description

Katie Freakin McGarry as in Pushing the limits Katie. I almost had a stroke right then and there people.

Catarina
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
2 Mourning Stars.

Okay, so Stella has a bad “family” life and spends her day in the graveyard because is the only constant thing in her life.
Jonah went to a tragic experience and now also spends his days in the graveyard mourning someone he didn’t even knew and trying to find out what to do with his life.

So, they go to the same high-school and Jonah is one of the cool boys that everyone loves. His best-friend spend all their lives making fun of Stella and yet Jonah didn’t recognized her. (We
Jennifer Kyle
So, I love this author's Pushing the Limits series...

Stella is a quirky girl with violet hair who has had a rough upbringing and has to make some big decisions about her future.

Jonah has been changed by a tragic experience over the summer and finds happiness hanging out with Stella in the cemetery where they meet.

Stella has suffered her whole academic career being bullied by a creep who happens to be Jonah’s best friend.

description

Sadly, Jonah would laugh along with Cooper.

Will Jonah step away from his b
Aimee

This is the part where you all glare at this review through your screens because this is the first work I've completely read by Katie McGarry. (I'm going to get an umbrella in case you guys want to virtually throw tomatoes at my face.)

Okay, so, this is probably one of those books where your perspective and interpretation of the book will greatly affect whether you’ll like it or not. Sadly, I’ve interpreted things in a bad way.

Anyway, I thought Red at Night is one of those books where a lesson o
Wendy
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book the day I got my hands on it. Sure, it was short, but that's not the only reason I finished it so quickly.
This book was marvellous. Like this gif description(view spoiler)

Katie McGarry is quickly making my elite I-love-everythi
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
2 - Meh - Stars!

You know how you read something and then you think what was the point in that....That's how I felt when I finished this book. It was short so I knew beforehand it couldn't go into too much detail but still. I hate to give it a bad rating since it was a freebie but I saw too many things that aggravated me.

Stella is a gray eyed loner girl with violet hair who comes from a hard life.

Jonah is one of the "cool" kids and has recently experienced a tragedy that he can't seem to get over
Tamara
“Do you think people can change?” I ask Rick.
“Yes,” he answers plainly. “There are those who can.”
That grabs my attention. “So you believe it’s possible?”
“Miss Stella .” He gives me his teacher-to -pupil stare. “It boils down to choice.”

Ok fine yeah whatever. BUT at least make me experience the change damn it! Show me instead of telling.

UGH.

I am really waffled between 2 and 3 stars *sigh* I think it's a 2.5 stars. I just cant bring myself to bump it up.

Overall; a cute and light slice of li
Shannelle
Jan 17, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

And it's freeeeee!

But who knows when it won't be, so preorder it already! You can buy Red at Night on Amazon.

Ilze
It amazes me how much Katie McGarry can make me feel in just as little as 87 pages, which usually is where the story really begins for me.
I downloaded this book few hours ago, and I just had to read it today. It's emotional, but sweet short story with some valuable lessons along the way, which ultimately include forgiveness, redemption and some great life changes.

♥♥♥♥♥

“Do you think people can change?” I ask Rick.
“Yes,” he answers plainly. “There are those who can.”
That grabs my attention. “So
Jacob Proffitt
A novella, and a short one, at that. Which is a real shame as I get the feeling this could have been more. Strangely, I actually accept the course of their relationship. Sort of, anyway. That's not the problem. The problem is that McGarry takes a lot of shortcuts to get this story complete in so short a space. This is most notable in the stereotypes of all the characters, and particularly the main two. Stella is the street girl done wrong. Jonah the rich boy questioning his privilege. Cooper is ...more
Lori Foster
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love everything Katie McGarry writes, and this was no exception. Stella broke my heart. What a strong girl to stand alone and remain so determined to get ahead. Jonah represented so many young people who just don't understand - mostly because parents aren't explaining to them. He had to learn some truths the hard way, but he handled it well. Even while not understanding, he was kind and caring, especially to his goofy sister.
I'd say this is a short, excellent, feel good, learning something, ro
C.K.
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently, this novella is available for FREE!

Rating 4.6

I love the cover for this novella. The title for the novella is very fitting to the story. There is symbolism and reference to the color red throughout the novella. Overall it was another great story by Katie McGarry. It takes place in the Pushing the Limits universe but the characters are new. Mrs. Collins is in the story!

Stella's situation was heartbreaking. Stella is very sweet. Jonah could be frustrating at times because he used to jus
Deniz
If you've never read anything by Katie McGarry - this is certainly the book to start with. It's short but captivating, moving and well just the best cute and fluffy fix EVER!
Obviously I love McGarry's writing style and Red at Night did not disappoint at all. In fact it just proven and reestablished everything I love about McGarry's prose.
The story line is essentially rich hot dude falling for the outcast poor gal- kind of a Cinderella story. BUT the realistic version. So well done that even a
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

Katie McGarry is someone whose books are on my auto-buy list. In times when contemporary is not really my think there are always her stories that make me love the genre all over again. Her stories awake all those feelings in me and this one is not an exception.

I always say that writing a short-story is much harder in my opinion. Simply you have less space to express everything and still you must put all you need in it. Red at Night is a story that has all th
Joana

"Thank you Jonah. For showing me that people can change. Even if its one out of a million."

Here is the thing, even if I think a story is somewhat predictable, if it's beautifully written and captivating, there is a point that I don't even notice anymore. And I was quite surprise to enjoy and get so emotional over this little story, that made me wish it was longer.
We got a girl and a boy, one doesn't fit in school, was constantly mocked and bullied and the other, even if it was the quiet type,
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
*Short review for a short book*

OK, first, how/why does she have purple hair?! Is it natural or does she dye it? If she dyes it, she needs to stop as that is a waste of money, and according to her, she has none. That bothered me more than anything.

I get that novellas are little side stories, but sheesh, you still need to wrap it up and not have pointless things in it. Why have a party, why have her talk about red skies, why included the reporter, why?! I do not get it.

Then we go from hating each
Quirks
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall-2016, 2016-reads

Red at Night is a novella that follows Stella and Jonah. Stella is a loner who hangs out at the cemetery while Jonah was part of the popular crowd until an accident leads him to meet Stella at the cemetery. They start to hand out and even though they're different and Stella has spent her life being mocked by Jonah's best friend, she can't help but like him.

And that's the summary of a novel that accidentally got turned into a novella by cutting out all the character building moments, emoti
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
Love Katie McGarry! I seriously love her writing and story-telling. While this wasn't my favorite by her, Ret at Night provides a short, yet an emotional, humbling story of changes, second chances and an adorable romance. Based on the rating, I'm sure you'd think I wasn't very happy with this novella, but I was. It's obvious we're not going to get all the slow-burn and things happen quite fast, but in all honesty? It's not insta-love either, rather a friends-to-lovers kind of romance between Jon ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

After reading and thinking Pushing the Limits was kind of stereotypical in a way, with two damaged characters finding love together, I thought I’d give Red at Night a try on the bus home from work. People really rave about Katie McGarry’s books and I am still discovering why.

Red at Night was written incredibly beautifully, and I was impressed with how Stella and Jonah could meet, develop a friendship and then fall in love in
Jenna
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This novella tells the story of Stella, a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, and Jonah, a rich, popular guy who of course isn't without his own issues. They keep meeting at the cemetary and soon form a connection. This book was OK, it wasn't bad but it didn't blow me away either. It's quite short so of course you don't spend much time with the characters but I don't think that was the reason I didn't really connect with them. They just didn't feel particularly real to me, I suppose. Stella ...more
Bodea
Jan 29, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This author gets me. I will read anything she writes at least once. Keep it coming.
Rose
Mar 20, 2014 marked it as to-read-own-bought  ·  review of another edition
Guys, this is free right now on Amazon as of 4/1/14. (Not an April Fool's Joke!)

Grab, grab!!!! =P
Veronika
You can find this with many other on my blog:

In this short story Katie McGarry tells us the story of a boy and a girl who are from different circles but still can’t help themselves falling in love with each other after an unexpected meeting in the cemetery.

First, I’m going to write down all the good things from Red at Night, the best thing was that the plot was about real life issues.
Family, moving on, friends, love, sociality, school, college etc.

Bullyi
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. I have made it through almost twenty-five years of living without ever REALLY crying over a book. This book killed that streak. Ugly crying and tissues were involved. But, aside from that, I actually LOVED this book.

Katie McGarry never ceases to amaze me. Her books are always so emotional and heart touching. She really knows how to latch on to her readers emotions and draw them into her stories and Red at Night is no exception.

Although this is a short novella, it reads like an
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Red At Night Review on K-Books

"It changed me. You... changed me."

Naturally as soon as I heard about this novella from Katie McGarry I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I have been an enormous fan of Katie McGarry since I got an ARC of her debut novel Pushing the Limits. I fell head over heels in love with the book, and her writing. To date I have read every single thing she has published and each book I devoured in one sitting. I adore her. Red At Night was no different. This short novella
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

In this freebie short story, Katie McGarry injects her sweet, melodic writing with a heady dose of angst. Stella is an outsider who enjoys spending time in cemeteries. As morbid as that sounds, she finds a certain sense of peace she is unable to find anywhere else.

Jonah, a far more popular guy at school, meets Stella at the cemetery and at first it starts off as awkward. Stella comes across as slightly crazy and it definitely intrigued me as a reader. I suddenly wanted to know more about her an
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Red at Night is another highly enjoyable story by Katie McGarry, with a great message at its core. The Pushing the Limits series has characters that come from all walks of life - whether it's foster kids, a girl from a troubled home, or a guy and girl who seemingly come from the perfect family. In Red at Night, Stella is the kooky girl at school who hangs out at the cemetery because it provides the only constant in her tumultuous life. She's been bounced around a lot, her father flitting in and ...more
Deborah
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
83 pages that feel like a full length book.

This is the first time I've read a book by this author and I have to say I was surprised, it's a short, quick read but it has the depth and full bodied characters we associate with a full length book.
I wasn't sure exactly what to expect at first but it soon grew on me I loved Johan and Stella. Stella is the girl that has been dealt a really rotten hand, she's living with her dad's ex-girlfriend who's a stripper, she's dirt poor and bullied at school. Jo
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: I liked this one but I had trouble reading it. It dealt with getting over issues and the characters hung out at the cemetery a lot and talked about death a lot (a touchy subject for me right now).

We are introduced to Stella and Jonah who are complete opposites. Stella is the girl people make fun of. Jonah is popular. Both of them have their secrets and problems in their lives. I instantly got where Stella was coming from on most of what she said and felt. Jonah also had a lot of in
  • You Are Here
  • The Gift of a Good Start
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • The Blue-Haired Boy (Faking Normal, #0.5)
  • The Warrior (Dante Walker, #3)
  • Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6)
  • Fragile Line
  • Bitter Sweet Love (The Dark Elements, #0.5)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Pieces of Olivia (Charleston Haven, #1)
  • Captive Cowboy (Captured Hearts, #2)
  • Reign
  • Wolf at the Door (Snowdonia Wolves #1)
  • Season of Second Chances
  • Searching for Beautiful
  • Sunburn (Greek God, #3)
  • Beautiful Salvation (Blood Prince, #5)
  • (Dis)content (Judgement of the Six, #5)
KATIE MCGARRY was a teenager during the age of grunge and boy bands and remembers those years as the best and worst of her life. She is a lover of music, happy endings, and reality television, and is a secret University of Kentucky basketball fan.

Katie would love to hear from her readers. Contact her via her website, katielmcgarry.com, follow her on Twitter @KatieMcGarry, or become a fan on Facebo
More about Katie McGarry...

Pushing the Limits (5 books)
  • Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)
  • Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
  • Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3)
  • Take Me On (Pushing the Limits, #4)
  • Chasing Impossible (Pushing the Limits, #5)

“For a few seconds, I want to know what it’s like not to settle or dream, but to live. To be the girl who’s cared for, to be the girl who’s cherished, to be the girl who’s kissed.” 7 likes
“Do you think people can change?" I ask Rick
"Yes." he answers plainly. "There are those who can."
That grabs my attention. "So you believe it's possible?"
"Miss Stella."He gives me his teacher-to-pupil stare. "Its boils down to choice.”
6 likes