Start by marking “Visionary in Residence: Stories” as Want to Read:
Visionary in Residence: Stories

Visionary in Residence: Stories

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
I'm a science fiction writer. This is a golden opportunity to get up to most any mischief imaginable. With this fourth collection of my stories, I'm going to prove this to you. With these words, Bruce Sterling—author of New York times Notable Books of the Year and one of the great names in contemporary fiction—introduces his latest collection of thirteen tales. If you're f ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Running Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Visionary in Residence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visionary in Residence

Jay Daze
Okay, first just ignore the wrapping this book comes in. I can accept 'Visionary in Residence' but the "13 NEW STORIES FROM THE LEATHER-JACKETED HIGH DRUID OF CYBERPUNK" is just embarrassing. If I was Sterling I'd be burning my dorky leather jacket and hunting down whoever put that on the back of my book. Okay...

I quite liked this collection there are some pieces that are just... pieces and not really stories, a few exercises, but there is 'User-Centric' which is Sterling working at his best, an
Michael Halpern
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I have that sense that in these stories, the author was stretching beyond his comfort zone. As such, some of the stories work and some don't.
MB Taylor
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Finished reading Visionary in Residence (2008) by Bruce Sterling yesterday, a collection of 13 short stories by “one of the founders of the cyberpunk movement” (according to Wikipedia) Well, strictly speaking 2 of the stories are collaborations; one with Rudy Rucker and one with Paul Di Filippo.

It’s a pretty good collection, with a fair number of SF sub genera. Sterling has arranged the stories into 8 categories: Science Fiction (1 story); Fiction about Science (1); Fiction for Scientists (3 ve
Michael Smith
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Bruce is one of those authors I always approach hesitantly. When he’s good, he’s very good, but when he’s not, he’s . . . well, not terrible, but certainly uninteresting. That goes for both his novels and his short stories. As I’ve noted elsewhere, he’s a kick to listen to in person at a con, but his ideas and enthusiasms and social concerns don’t always translate well into print. This collection of thirteen stories which first appeared in the past five or six years is divided thematically -- “F ...more
Daniel
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I tend to rate Bruce Sterling as one of my favorite authors because he has a very unique voice ... something lacking in much sci-fi/fantasy (in my opinion). I know that when I pick up a Sterling book, it will be unlike anything else out there.

And of course it's no secret that I really enjoy short fiction. A short story or a one act play are personal favorites. To tell a story, efficiently and succinctly, is a challenge, and I enjoy being the voyeur into these efforts.

WIth that out, I must say th
Will
May 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
It's a collection of short stories, mostly written on spec for magazines. Some of them are okay. Most of them are not.

It's not news when an older man runs away with a kid from another country. It's not a story when a cute technology turns out to have unanticipated consequences. And it's not particularly interesting when pop culture references are dropped into the middle of a story, except that it dates the story. There are drop-in references to Friendster, for God's sake.

This is the first time
Joseph Method
Bruce Sterling has a steady hand when it comes to short stories (his novels tend to spin apart, possibly on purpose). None of these stories floored me but each was an interesting little meditation. One story collaboration with Paul DiFillipo, "The Scab's Progress", bothered me with its plot about soulless posthuman African "natives". The last two stories in the collection show Sterling really stretching himself: one is a love story set during the Crusades and the other set in an Ottoman village ...more
Nov 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
“The Leather-Jacketed High Druid of Cyberpunk.” That’s what is written on the back of the book… so I picked it up. I was a little disappointed.
This book is a collection of his short stories; I like short stories when I’m investigating an author that I’ve never read before, because… if you don’t like the current story, you can skip it and go to the next. I skipped a lot of the stories. What I did finish, however, I liked a lot, so it wasn’t a complete waste.
I’d read something else by Sterling.
Denton McCabe
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is officially the last bit of Bruce Sterling I will ever bother picking up in my life. Tacky cover art aside, he is not a horrible writer, but there was only one, maybe two, of these stories that I found a little bit stimulating. Everything else was a bit drab. Mozart in Mirrorshades will always be a classic, unfortunately, these stories aren't.
Doc Kinne
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
This probably rated a 2.5. In the end I have to agree with the reviewer that said that these pieces were written for spec, and largely that's the way they read.

Mildly entertaining, but there are no ideas here that will cause you to really pause.
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Some lousy stories but some good ones too. The Rudy Rucker and Paul Di Fillipo collaborations are worth the price of admission alone.
Thermopyle
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, anthology
Not uniformly excellent, but the better stories make the whole book worthwhile.
Fresno Bob
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
good collection of stories
Falbs
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
A couple of weak stories, but overall, definitely a great read.
Caleb
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love Gibson
As in Neuromancer
Lord Humungus
Dec 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Lots of great Sterling stories, sometimes very imaginative, other times surprisingly charming. Great stuff.
Jan 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Nomad Codes: Adventures in Modern Esoterica
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the Brink
  • Sauron Dominion (War World, #3)
  • Sunfall
  • The Long Night
  • Nano Comes to Clifford Falls: And Other Stories
  • The Second Virago Book of Fairy Tales
  • Toast, and Other Stories
  • A User's Guide to the Millennium: Essays and Reviews
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • A Place So Foreign and Eight More
  • The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
  • Back in the USSA
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • The John Varley Reader
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...