Start by marking “Lucifer, Book Five (Lucifer, #5)” as Want to Read:
Lucifer, Book Five (Lucifer, #5)

Lucifer, Book Five

(Lucifer New Edition #5)

Cast out of Heaven, thrown down to rule in Hell, Lucifer Morningstar has resigned his post and abandoned his kingdom for the mortal city of Los Angeles. In this final LUCIFER volume, the war in Heaven reaches its universe-shaking conclusion, as the forces of Heaven, Hell, and everyone in between wage a final battle to determine the fate of both Yahweh and Lucifer's Creatio ...more
Published December 30th 2014 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Lucifer, Book Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucifer, Book Five

Bradley
Truly goddamn amazing.

This whole series has the epic awesomeness of the Sandman series with half the empty (albeit interesting) calories of all those side-stories. Indeed, the plot is pretty epic and all characters are important.

It's the end of creation. God abandoned his creation. The sparks of everyone's souls are dimming, dissoluting, and all sides go to war over the throne of God. Some want to reforge creation and others want to see it all become Silence.

This is no-one's simple tale of batt
Sud666
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The Fifth and final book to the outstanding Lucifer series. After the universe shaking events of Book Four, we come full circle to the end days. God has left his creation and it is starting to unravel. Now there are three creations- one is Lucifer's, the other is Ellaine Belloc's and finally there is God's creation.

As the conflict rages between the denizens of the three creations, other forces (Lillith; the forces of chaos, etc) meet on the plains of Armageddon for the final battle. Lucifer, onc
Cheese
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now that was a great story.

Lucifer is so interesting and Carey wrote the shit out of this. There's so much myth and legend ploughed into this, it's great and I enjoyed it far more than Sandman.

A very satisfying ending.
Sikata
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The end of the Lucifer saga and now I don't know what to read and inspite of my numerous books lying around, I don't have any books to read. So yeah life sucks.

Coming to the book- the war continues witgany twists and turns. It sort of ties many loose ends together. Lots of action. I took of a star because I found certain post war parts to be "meh". The ending is something I thought would eventually happen. Now let's see where the TV show is headed because there is simply no connection with the
DeAnna Knippling
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If I could give this a 4.5 stars, I would. Everything finally pops into place--and just when you think it's over, it's time for a few more pieces that you didn't realize were in the center while the climactic battles were filling out the edges.
Marianne
"Creations rise and then they fall. Each as long as it exist, seeming to fill the immensity of the void with the teeming, proliferating certainties of direction and purpose. But since the void is infinite and eternal... the portion of it that can be saved amounts, in the end to zero. All things come back to nothing. That is the rule"

"Then promise me this. if Creation endures, rebuild it without a heaven or hell. Let sick souls be healed, not whipped like dogs, nor bartered like sweetmeats."

Wo
Saif Saeed
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
What a great series. Loved it from start to finish.

So I hate making comparisons but I'm gonna make comparisons. I hate it especially since Sandman and Lucifer are written by different people and have different art teams etc etc like the only real connection they have is that Lucifer was introduced in Sandman and really he was only in a couple of issues but Carey takes some cues from Gaiman so I think its valid to draw some comparisons if only to illustrate the finer points.

Lucifer is epic. A hug
Jamie Connolly
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Masterpiece. Like all the books in this series. This series is one of the best things I’ve ever read. It is a true wor of art. This is a must read. 5 stars.
Kelly W.
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the last volume in Carey’s run, and man, was it a wild ride from start to finish! Overall, I very much enjoyed the series, even when the plots became a bit convoluted or slow. The worldbuilding and imaginative elements made up for a lot of the series’ pitfalls, and I would highly recommend giving the run a read if you’re a fantasy fan. This last review will concentrate on the elements particular to the last volume as opposed to the series as a whole, so please be sure to check out my oth ...more
Adastra
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In its final volume, the stories revolving around Lucifer finally come to their climax. As the end gets nearer, the parallels to The Sandman become more and more obvious. Like in Sandman, many, many realms and beings are visited, and certain transfers happen. Also like in Sandman, Lucifer is not really so much of a protagonist, but more of a shaper – only rarely is he actually the focus of a storyline. He's a really odd character, very elusive, very cunning, but not really likeable at all. In my ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Watching everything come together that started over 60 issues ago is a joy, as Lucifer's schemes all come to a head, and there are still a lot of surprises in store. I'm glad that everything didn't just end after the Morningstar arc the way Carey originally intended, because the final 6 issues or so add a very welcome coda to every major character in the series, tying up any loose ends, and ending the series on almost a happy note.
Loki
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A splendid and satisfying conclusion, with all the majesty that the story of Lucifer Morningstar deserves in its grand climax, and a long but well-earned and well-deserved denouement to bring us back to Earth, circling back to where this story began in Gaiman's "Season of Mists" so many years earlier.
Nau
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, comic-book
To quote Spera (who was an actual treasure), "Reality is messy and scary. Stories give a kind of shape to it."
Wendelle So
fine series with caveats, vision as grand and cosmic as the Sandman series. However by the last two books, series starts to unwind to some moralistic preaching and theological peddling that's as simplistic as the unnuanced version of the Judaeo-Christian code it's trying to depose/expose. The basic thrust of which is-- life of virtue/obedience = bad; hedonistic freedom from social mores = good. The monologues, diatribes, and conversations the author weaves through the plot threads of his scores ...more
Laura Cunha

E finalmente terminei a saga de Lucifer. Hora de prestar as contas.

Vou confessar que me decepcionei. Depois da apresentação fantástica do personagem em Sandman e de um primeiro volume muito interessante, a série desanda. Não quero me repetir, então veja os motivos nas resenhas anteriores (volume 1, volume 2, volume 3 e volume 4).

Acho que todo o problema foi a expectativa. Eu realmente esperava muito mais do que o autor foi capaz de entregar. Com alguns pou
Tadashi Hamada
Man! What an ending that was.

I just want to say that my favorite characters were Elaine Belloc, Mazikeen, and Gaudium. I liked Lucifer too but he was just too... uptight that it bordered on dull--or maybe Tom Ellis' cheeky portrayal in the TV series has influenced me too much.

The world-building was sublime. I'm a newcomer when it comes to high fantasy so I didn't quite understand all of it but I understood enough to know that it was all so intricate and that all of it was well-thought out. I abs
James
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Sandman/Lucifer universe is so interesting to me because its plots compare to most other comics' plots like a geological era compares to an afternoon. They're just massive. And as you worry about the outcome of each sub-plot, you intellectually know it is a tiny part of the whole, but it *feels* as important as anything else that's occurred in the story already.

So far I've avoided being too dramatic with these reviews because I knew I had more books left- well, this being book 5, I can safe
Martin Chalupa
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The big finale! The end was original so I was satisfied. The climax is happening relatively soon in this volume. The rest of it will let you calm down and enjoy what happened to each character after it. The overall story covered throughout the 5 volumes is interesting and very original too. I can recommend it. It uses a lot of reference in religions and mythology. The more you know from this are the more you will enjoy how cleverly they are presented and interconnected. I had to google sometimes ...more
Rebecca
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty satisfied with the series. The earlier books I red in a smaller collection which wasn't available anymore, so this one contained a lot more stories together.

I liked the conclusion, but it went on longer than I think it needed to. In fact, I felt it could have been ended with Elaine's night out. (Which I loved!). The final "What happened to Lucifer" story was just a redundant re-telling of who he was and how he felt. It didn't really offer up any new perspective.
Dan  Ray
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Parting is all we know of heaven, and all we need of hell. -Emily Dickinson, very well illustrated in this concluding chapter.

Lucifer. One of my all-time favourite characters, done real justice by first Neil Gaiman and now Mike Carey. Ok, maybe first by the bible, then Dante, then Milton.

Regardless, this conclusion was thorough and enjoyable. Most of the characters were solid, the art was great, the battles epic and the philosophy concise without being too simplistic and watered down.
Iida
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worthy wrap up of a great series. Drives me nuts that I can't find the place where someone, I think Elaine, says something I liked, along the lines of: "Human imagination is so powerful. Our bodies are nothing but lampshades for our minds."
Emerch
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great ending for the storyline. Loved the final verbal exchange between Lucifer and his father.
Shelle Pennington
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful series, start to finish. The artwork is agonisingly beautiful. Also this is my first time reading Mike Carey's storyboarding. He quickly became a favorite.
Chris
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a way to end the Lucifer series. Wow. Will definitely re-read the series at some point.
Dion Cassidy
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Epic dark fantasy!
Caroline
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good!
Renee Wiedmeyer
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The ending was somewhat satisfying. But I still like Sandman better ;)
John Kuper
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This last collection manages the impressive task of tying all of the stories together and ending them. and the ending is great.
Heather
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sorry to say goodbye to these characters. Loved the journey!!

Ellioth Mess
  • The Annotated Sandman, Vol. 1
  • Hellblazer, Volume 11: Last Man Standing
  • Swamp Thing, Volume 4: Seeder
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Angel & Faith, Volume 4)
  • The Animal Man Omnibus
  • Strangers in Paradise (Omnibus, Books One & Two)
  • The Return Of The Sorcerer: The Best Of Clark Ashton Smith
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #8)
  • Casanova, Vol. 3: Avaritia
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli

Lucifer New Edition (5 books)
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • Lucifer, Book Two (Lucifer, #2)
  • Lucifer, Book Three (Lucifer, #3)
  • Lucifer, Book Four (Lucifer, #4)