Start by marking “Justice League International, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Justice League International, Vol. 1

Justice League International, Vol. 1

(Justice League International (1987) #1)

In the wake of world crisis, a new generation of the World's Greatest Super-Heroes takes center stage. But it's the most unlikely grouping of heroes you'll ever see! Batman, Blue Beetle, Martian Manhunter, Guy Gardner, Black Canary, Mister Miracle, Dr. Fate, Booster Gold, Doctor Light and the power of Shazam!

Can this ragtag group of work as a functioning unit to stop terro
Published March 12th 2008 by DC Comics (first published November 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Justice League International, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Eskana I don't think so... I don't have a super-high understanding either, and although they didn't explain the origins of all the heroes, I didn't feel like…moreI don't think so... I don't have a super-high understanding either, and although they didn't explain the origins of all the heroes, I didn't feel like I needed to know them. It's really more about a bunch of new heroes becoming a team, but much lighter in tone than the usual Justice League (but not campy.)
There were several characters I knew nothing about... but I just accepted them as "guy who has powers and was raised on another planet" and moved on. And I didn't feel lost at all.(less)

Anne

I was a little leery when my friends recommended this to me. Even with all the good reviews.
It's OLD.
And I know how you guys like to give high ratings for stuff that you read and loved when you were kids. You're a bunch of sentimental bastards.
Don't bother denying it...

So.
I open it up...and where were my slick glossy pages?!
It's printed on PAPER!
Yeah, plain paper. That's how freaking old my copy was! Ick.
But, I turned the gross pages anyway. Because I'm a strong woman.

Oh My God! It wa
Sean Gibson
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Have you ever been in that situation where a friend says to you, “Hey, you need to meet my buddy Al—you will love him! He’s hilarious, and I just think you two would really hit it off…you guys have the same sense of humor.” And so your friend invites you out to drinks with Al, and he’s got a big, friendly smile, and you think, “Yeah, I can see why you’d like this guy.” And then, two minutes later, he cracks and off-color joke that’s equal parts funny and offensive, and you’re trying to figure ou ...more
Jan Philipzig
Launched in 1987, Justice League America (the title actually switched to Justice League International only for #7-25) was DC's inspired early response to the ideological superhero critique of Alan Moore's Watchmen's and Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. It is funny when it needs to be, clever when it needs to be, subtle when it needs to be, cheesy when it needs to be - and it casts the members of the Justice League as less than perfect (and in some cases downright obnoxious) anti-heroes wh ...more
Dan Schwent
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
The first comic I ever subscribed to was the Justice League of America. Unfortunately for me, it was when the League had a fairly crappy roster including Vibe, Gypsy, Vixen, and Steel. Fortunately, it was cancelled a few issues later and replaced with Justice League International.

JLI made comics fun again. Blue Beetle and Guy Gardner provided the laughs with Batman playing the ultimate straightman for their jokes. And we can't forget about poor hen-pecked Mister Miracle either.

This book collects
Gianfranco Mancini

Vote: 3, 5

I am just too much a newbie reader of DC Universe (but of Batman comics) to fully appreciate this classic (and not liked very much the Grey Man storyline), but all the Bats/Guy Gardner parts were just hilarious!
No doubt I'm going to rise my vote when I'm going to re-read it sooner of later after upgrading my knowledge of DC characters.

Mike
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think I collected this when it first came out, and even then I enjoyed the hell out of this zany over-the-top combination of fun writing and exaggerated acting in the art.

Guy Gardner and Maxwell Lord make an immediate, attention-getting impression. As does Black Canary's 80's hair and jumpsuit.

And the team dynamic - the dysfunction and infighting - works here. They're not at each others' throats because they don't understand each other - these guys are familiar enough with each other that th
Donovan
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it

This wasn't my favorite, but it's solid for what it is: an 80s alternative Justice League. I just think I'm not a huge JL fan.

All right, so what's the deal? Dr. Light II receives an alert disc (like those Olive Garden alert discs) from "someone," we don't know who, then it's revealed later but the mystery doesn't really matter. Booster Gold joins the team. The Champions of Angor, these aliens whose planet was destroyed by nuclear war, are trying to rid the world of nuclear warheads. Then there'
Sesana
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
This my first go at reading these 80s JLI issues, and I really enjoyed it. There's a great mix of characters here, most of whom I already knew fairly well and liked. And Guy Gardner, who I think I know fairly well and could do with rather less of. Having read everything surrounding Infinite Crisis, it's really hard not to read the most sinister possible motivations for everything Maxwell Lord does, but I'm trying. There's a comedic tone to the whole thing, while having serious conflicts. It's th ...more
Damon
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Crack up. Guy Gardner is everything that is good about Green Lantern.
Garrett
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Batman and Martian Manhunter form a team of B list superheroes consisting of Dr. Fate, Black Canary, Blue Beetle, Shazam, Booster Gold, Mr. Miracle and the ever so douchey Guy Gardner Green Lantern. This book has amazing art, maybe some of the best 80's DC has to offer. There was also a lot of good humor in action in this book. It is so painfully cheesy and 80s and parts of it fall under the so bad it's good banner, it's a really fun read and maybe the best Justice League series.
Martin
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Not as consistently funny as I'd expected. The whole plot line with the Gray Man and Doctor Fate really slowed the book's pace - not least because it was boring! I'm glad Doctor Fate's left the team by the book's end.

You can tell the series hadn't hit its stride yet. Still, this book remains a classic and should be read at least once by comic book fans, though I much preferred Justice League International, Vol. 3.
Candy Atkins
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was younger and it sparked my love for all things JL.
David Church
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I find myself re-reading this graphic novel frequently. Still one of my all-time favorites. The interactions w/Guy Gardner & Batman - Epic.
Guilherme Smee
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aventura, hqs
Fazia tempo que eu não relia a Liga da Justiça Internacional e, dessa vez eu tenho que ficar com os saudosistas quando dizem que os autores já não caracterizam os personagens mais tão bem como antigamente. Vejam as expressões que Kevin Maguire desenha nos seus personagens, cada uma tão peculiar e tão própria de cada um. A mesma coisa os integrantes da Liga, cada um deles tem a própria voz. Sabemos exatamente quem eles são, não usam dos diálogos pasteurizados e de qualquer reação que os personage ...more
Reme
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-2017
Los arcos argumentales han sido muy simples, pero me ha gustado mucho el grupo, muy particular. Además las interacciones de los personajes son divertidísimas, sobre todos los piques entre Guy Gardner y Batman.
Austin
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Justice League Fans
Recommended to Austin by: I Picked It Up As A Kid
Strangely enough, not all comics became serious after the early-'80's industry decry that the medium was no longer for kids. Why it took this long for the comics bankers to realize that this wouldn't kill them financially (to make this declaration, that is) is anyone's guess, but the immediate result, sadly, was that everything became far too serious and "gritty," almost overnight. Batman because more maudlin. The mutations became a metaphor for AIDS. And big-name characters were dying every oth ...more
Jeff
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Justice League fans
This is a Justice League that is no where near the Justice League most of you were either brought up with or read, if you have indeed haven't read it yet.
Written at a time when DC was going thru adult changes, adding more grim and dark stories and characters to their line up and at the same time acquiring writers with some very demented sense of humor.
After the ending of the traditional Justice League from the 60'sm DC felt there was a need to have a predominant super team on their roster. With
Eskana
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
What do you do when the usual big names are unavailable? Form a new team, of course!!

Now, I'm no DC expert, so I'm not sure what happened to the main team, but in this book, a new roster for the Justice League is forming. The new recruits include hotheaded Guy Gardner (a Green Lantern, but not the Green Lantern, some characters lament :) ), Black Canary, Mr. Miracle and his sidekick(?), Captain Marvel, and Blue Beetle. And then, of course, to get the team trained and in line is Batman, assisted
Jemir
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jemir by: jrojemir@yahoo.com
This is one of those books where "you had to be there" to understand how different and signifigant it was but you can enjoy on its own merit no matter where you are on the "super hero comic historian" chain of knowledge.

First things first ... this is a funny book.

As in: "Ha Ha" funny, gut busting funny, bwah-ha-ha funny (inside reference you'd have to read the book to understand). The story centers some of the D.C universes then established or rising super heroes (intially: Guy Gardner (at that
Justin
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
God, I have such fondness for this group. Giffen & DeMatteis told the best superhero tales ever, with a group that was fun to read.

They were given the Justice League and were planning to use the core seven loved by generations, but lost Superman to the Byrne reboot and Wonder Woman to Perez and Aquaman to DC's editorial apathy and the Flash was dead and, well, you can have Guy Gardner and Captain Marvel?

And such a book they created. This trade establishes the team and the tone, which was on
Christine
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of DC comics
Recommended to Christine by: Caroline
Fun times! I mean, how can you not like a book where Batman clocks Guy Gardner? The only reason this isn't getting 4 stars is because of that one story where the extra-dimensional superheroes try to rid the world of nuclear weapons. It was sincere, but the heavy-handedness was so cringe-worthy.

Some of my personal highlights: Scott Free getting into a fight with Barda because he has Monitor Duty and can't spend time with her, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold working together for the first time, the C
Diz
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you want to see Batman knock out Guy Gardener with one punch, then this is the volume to read. This version of the Justice League is noted for its humor. This comes from the fact that none of the members of the League get along with each other (yet). They are always bickering, complaining, making snide remarks at each other, and sulking. That's not the type of Justice League I like, so this wasn't my favorite.
Mark
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Still one of the best 6 issue openings to a comic book ever... esp. after the debacle that the Justice League of America had become back in the mid-80s. Giffen knocked this one out of the park - along with the entire creative team.

Oh, they'd lose their way as it continued - thanks to company-wide nonsense like the Manhunter invasion - but that doesn't diminish how good this is.
Tony
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really laughed reading this new Justice League from the lates 80's.
Geoff Sebesta
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The very first issue was the very best issue, and they never quite hit that exact peak again. But they did plenty other great stuff so we cool.
Keith
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Eh, I mean, whatever. The art's killer, and there were a few good jokes.
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually surprised by how much I ended up enjoying this volume. I picked it up because it highlighted two of my favorite--but rarely in the spotlight--characters: Captain Marvel and Martian Manhunter. On that front, this volume did not disappoint. But it was an added bonus to get Booster Gold, a character that I had never actually encountered, but about whom I'd been curious for a while. And then Guy Gardener Green Lantern was so unlikable by all the characters and the reader that it was n ...more
Kevin
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the re-boot of the Justice League of America as the “Justice League International: vol 1“, (2008©). Does it work? Yeah. Is it great? No, not really.

To start off with, the book is kind of drawn from the early 60’s method. The book is hard-bound, rather than just thick paper like most of these “modern” collections. And it’s done on old school paper, not the glossy stuff they put everything one these days. Overall effect – I liked it!!

Now, meat and potatoes – the art work itself is good – o
Michael
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loeg-archives
So I broke down and bought the new hardcover edition, replacing my existing softcover copy of Justice League: A New Beginning (which, in turn, replaced the first seven issues of the series that I'd bought from back issue bins). I hope DC is serious about publishing a big chunk of the JLI run!

As this series is the only time I've ever cared for the Justice League, at all, I'm happy to report that it ages very well. Sure, the references to the Soviet Union ground it in a time period, but the more i
Tom
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The mid-80s Justice League was different from anything that came before or since: it was actually written more as a comedy than a superhero action series. This book covers the early issues, and it was closer to the more standard superhero style of storytelling, but it showed the comedic side that the series would eventually come to be known as. Heck, the famous "one punch" happens in this book, and it was a highlight that set the standard for what was to come. The series started here and wasn't ...more
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • JLA, Vol. 3: Rock of Ages
  • Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Keith Ian Giffen is an American comic book illustrator and writer. He is possibly best-known for his long runs illustrating, and later writing the Legion of Super-Heroes title in the 1980s and 1990s. He also created the alien mercenary character Lobo (with Roger Slifer), and the irreverent "want-to-be" hero, Ambush Bug. Giffen is known for having an unorthodox writing style, often using characters ...more

Justice League International (1987) (6 books)
  • Justice League International, Vol. 2