Start by marking “The Seven "profound & insane" Books” as Want to Read:
The Seven "profound & insane" Books

The Seven "profound & insane" Books

An Angel sends a boy on a wild ride through seven bizarre tales to find the secret of the seven gifts that lie within us. A failed rock star, a lonely white dolphin and other misfits drive the tales, and they open the boy’s eyes to the meaning of the seven gifts implanted within us. The Seven Gifts awaken the boy: And The Boy awakens us.

Eric Hoffer Award 2019: Best E-book
Published September 23rd 2015 by 7-Books.net (first published October 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Seven "profound & insane" Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven "profound & insane" Books

Start your review of The Seven "profound & insane" Books
Nur Fatin Atiqah
I've just received this book. And I have started reading it :D

I HAVE FINISH THIS BOOK! YAY!

In my opinion, it is really unique and one of a kind. I have never read this kind of book before so it was a fresh new experience. I like it though how the author is trying to convey his message through the story. And it really seeps into my mind. I understand what he is trying to tell to us.

However, I'm kinda confused with the ending. But nevertheless, I will try to read it again so that I can understan
Chris
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young boy getting ready to be sent to Earth must first read seven books, which each contain a gift to be given to Mankind. From a reject rock star and his eclectic band, to a lonely bosun shipwrecked alone on a desert island, to a lonely white dolphin with a desire to rescue lost ships, the boy must read a scattered disconnected collection of stories and glean the heart of them, before he will be allowed to come to Earth.

Overseeing the boy and the stories is a mysterious Angel with plans of he
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The range of characters present throughout this book is extensive and helps add character to the seven separate stories. It takes the reader on a journey and each story has a valuable lesson to learn. I feel that everyone will take something away from this novel, that will stay with them for a long time.

I loved the writing style that Mellor uses, he changes fonts at will and this really works in the setting of this novel. The only negative thing I have to say is that I wished the novel was long
Jessie
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I really liked the style and setup of this book. It gave a little piece at a time that urged the reader on. Made me think that i would have a better understanding of the world after i was done reaing it. I enjoyed taking it slow reading one "gift chapter" every couple of days. Not intentionally, but it made me think of each story seperately allowing it to sink in fully.
I gave it a 3 star rating but it may be more like a 3.5 because i did really enjoy and I can say that i took something away wit
John Mellor
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I don't know if I am supposed to do this but I am the author of The Seven Gifts and I have a very nice review from a while ago whose author and website have disappeared from the proverbial face of the Earth. So I am taking the liberty of posting it here through my account as a reader. I hope no-one objects. This is an edited version of the original review at Inkweaver Review, as the original gave away rather a lot of the plot, describing each chapter in some detail:

“The Seven Gifts That Came to
Kristin Walcott Figueroa
This book is a delightful collection of short stories. Each story is meant to illustrate one of the seven gifts that came to the earth from the creator. A boy is tasked by an angel to read the seven stories to gain the knowledge of the seven gifts. As he reads each of the stories, he ponders their meaning and significance and the angel helps him sort it out. Once he has learned what the seven gifts are and why they are important, he travels to earth to impart this knowledge to the people there i ...more
Aonik
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book really felt rather unique and original. A nice little book one can read in one sitting :-)
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A series of beautifully written tales that capture the mind, heart and spirit; Mellor has done a splendid job engrossing the reader’s attention in a unique an utterly irresistible novel.

A young boy coming of age must face the lonely tower by the sea, where in it, are seven books he must read and interpret. Guarded by an angel, the boy begins a journey like none other to uncover the seven gifts of the Earth. As he reads, you are swept into each and every tale and I found myself trying to figure
theSailor theSailor
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is an updated version of The Seven Gifts - that came to Earth. Due to non-existent sales, despite some very nice reviews, I decided to revamp the book with a new title, new cover and new blurb. I felt the original focused too strongly on the spiritual aspect of the story (off-putting to many, I know), so I have brought the quirky, offbeat side of it more to the fore in the hopes of generating wider interest. Apart from a few very minor tweaks the content is identical.

The book does have quit
Linda Harley
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this collection of short stories woven together into one book. Each of the seven short stories reveals one of the gifts bestowed by God on mankind, yet the stories are written in a fantasy type of setting. Seven in the Bible is the perfect number, and so there is a lot of symbolism dripping off the pages of this book, if you know what to look for. Definitely unique, but in the same breath I have say probably not a book that everyone would enjoy. Not all believers wi ...more
Sarah Brillinger
This is an interesting little story and not really like anything I've read. I'd almost classify this as an adult fairy tale taken place in a distant land where an Ice Princess rules the land.

Each chapter is an angel telling a story to a boy in order for him to understand values and principles that the angels says people lose when they become adults. The principles are: space, time, consciousness, harmony, wisdom, eternity and love.
It's interesting in that it makes you think about how you used
Charlene
The seven short stories in this book were very interesting and came off as fairy tales in a way. They were set in a different place and time and had a variety of unique and colorful characters, and each story had a message that highlighted a "gift" that was given by God to humankind. There is a strong religious message throughout the book, which makes sense when the ending is revealed.

The author has credibly created thought-provoking moral fables, where the "gift" illustrated is not always obvi
Zeljka
I got this book through Giveaways on GoodReads - and I'm glad I got it that way, otherwise I probably wouldn't ever notice it, because it doesn't have that hype that publishing houses manage to produce with their books, as this one was self-published.
I liked the book. I wouldn't say remarkable, as I've read so many books that I really think I can say what I deem remarkable, but it is neat. Visually is nice, original, even appropriate considering the message book is trying to give in some nice no
Britni
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given The 7 Gifts that Came to Earth by the author to review. Like the book, I'll keep this short and sweet. This book is broken into seven books with a small narrative after each. A young boy is tasked to reading all seven books and finding the gifts that have been bestowed to earth.

This book reminded me a lot of The Alchemist or The Little Prince. A book broke into quirky and at times, very strange, little stories that each have a hidden theme that all tie together in the end. It was a q
Iesha (In east shade house at...)
Zuzka
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soon-to-be-read
Such a lovely book! I am glad that I won it in the First Reads giveaway! =)
As I am interested in angels I loved the angel and her attitude. I think it might be a great book for children, because it would encourage them to read! =) As a teacher-to-be I would definitely read this book to my pupils in order to prove to them that reading is fun, but also serves a certain purpose. This book prompts to think about a lot of things. Some things linger in mind long after you read the book. It is really a
Smrithiraj Puli
I have read the excerpt of this book and know about the first 2 gifts already... interesting indeed
The way the author has woven the story keeps the reader interested in knowing as to what happens next. The end of the story flabberghasted me as its unexpected and wonderfully described and the loose things seem to fall in place only if you read till the end.
Definitely want to read the rest of the book... :)
Rebecca
I received this book through the Goodreads First-reads giveaway

Well this was an interesting book. I liked it, but it made me feel a little uncomfortable as well. I haven't quite figured out why yet. I liked this take on the 'Jesus Story' I thought that it was very unique. I've never seen something quite like this before.
Tara
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a First Reads giveaway.

I really, really enjoyed this book. Very unusual format, excellent storytelling and I just loved it!!!
SantosGray
Feb 22, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This looks really fascinating. The description makes me think of The Alchemist or God's Debris, both of which I enjoyed. I am looking forward to reading this one.
Sandie
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book to make you think......
theSailor theSailor
Oct 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Not bad.
Valeria
Feb 18, 2012
john
Dec 28, 2014
Pallavi
Feb 21, 2012
Genesis
rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2012
Nov 04, 2018
Liesl
Feb 13, 2012

• Girl, Woman, Other
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • Forever Flowing
  • As I Lay Dying
  • The Art of Happy Moving: How to Declutter, Pack, and Start Over While Maintaining Your Sanity and Finding Happiness
  • I Heard God Laughing: Poems of Hope and Joy
  • Another Episode S / 0 (light novel)
  • Broken Bone China (A Tea Shop Mystery #20)
  • The English Breakfast Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #4)
  • I Liked My Life
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Another
  • Asleep
  • The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 1 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 1]
  • Perfect Death (D.I. Callanach, #3)
  • The Ecstasy of Surrender: 12 Surprising Ways Letting Go Can Empower Your Life
  • The Miracle Morning for Writers: How to Build a Writing Ritual That Increases Your Impact and Your Income (Before 8AM) (The Miracle Morning Book Series)
I was born in Liverpool, England, at the end of the War, and went to sea in various guises - Royal Navy, inshore fishing, yacht delivery & sail training - before taking up writing. I contributed to many yachting magazines, and had 12 hardback sailing books published. ...more

News & Interviews

“There are some great mysteries here and I believe that each one of us is better placed to understand them than any sceptical scientist or religious zealot, simply because our Universe is not the same as theirs. We are, each of us, on our own journey; and whilst that journey continually interacts with those of others, it always remains uniquely ours. To understand that journey, because it is ‘magical’, we must look at it with the eyes of a child. I hope the essential simplicity of ‘The 7 Gifts’ will encourage readers to do that.” 1 likes
“There are some great mysteries here, which each of us is better placed to understand than any sceptical scientist or religious zealot, simply because our Universe is not the same as theirs.” 1 likes