Start by marking “Autism Breakthrough: The Groundbreaking Method That Has Helped Families All Over the World” as Want to Read:

As a boy, Raun Kaufman was diagnosed by multiple experts as severely autistic, with an IQ below 30, and destined to spend his life in an institution. Years later, Raun graduated with a degree in Biomedical Ethics from Brown University and has become a passionate and articulate autism expert and educator with no trace of his former condition. So what happened?

Thanks to The
Published March 31st 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Autism Breakthrough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autism Breakthrough

Emma
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty split about this book. I do like the format and I think the suggestions for how to help children with autism are spot-on. However, I was really turned off by the beginning.

The author claims to have had severe autism as a child, but "recovered" from it with the help of his parents. If he had mild autistic tendencies, I could believe that he recovered from autism, but I find it very hard to believe that someone who was severely autistic can overcome it. He claims that the methods in th
Danielle
I found the words 'recovery' too insulting. My daughter isn't diseased nor needs a cure. Having said that, not one kid is the same on the spectrum. There are many ways to help behaviors and developmental delays. We used ABA for the past few years. It has done wonders for my girl. Not all ABA is the same. Parents need to do their research.
David
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Describes in great detail the methods used at a center in Massachusetts where he works, and that were developed initially by his parents in "curing" author's autism. Emphasis on autism as a social-relational disorder. Lots of positive anecdotes from their workshops and such, and most or all sounded very reasonable (setting aside a "focus room" in the home with no electronics for interactions in which the child gets to be in control, but where getting what they want (e.g., a particular toy) requi ...more
Kirsti Call
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was given a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

As a therapist, I find these kinds of books fascinating. This was no exception. Raun K. Kaufman's parents were told that he had an IQ of 30 and a o% chance of ever speaking. He was diagnosed with autism. Now, because of a program that his parents used with him, he exhibits no autistic tendencies...in fact he wrote this book!

What I liked: The book is written in a conversation style with stories about real people and h
Ignatius Vonnegut
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
With a prevalence of 20% of children having ADHD in USA it's not impossible to imagine they don't diagnose Autism very thorough.

The book clearly shows:
1. Premature diagnostics is idiotic.
2. Children (in this book) with similar temporary problems do get a lot of help when you educate parents to this extent.
3. It also shows that the writer (and all involved) is completely identified in the myth that they had Autism.

It maybe shows:
1. That the money involved in their business makes it completely i
Lewis
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some good ideas put forward here worth a read for that alone.
Edgar Antioquia
The strategies were easy to understand. The only problem I have is the difficulty with which to implement these techniques optimally. Regardless, the ideas in this book regarding autism were very welcome eye-openers.
Tracy Collier
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I "read" this via audio book but it took a short time to get into the author's voice and speech pattern. I am so glad I did! By the time I was a couple of chapters in, I was so excited to learn techniques and strategies for my son. Plus there is a whole lot of encouragement for the parents. I am going to buy this book but I'm thinking about buying the audio version as well. It was that good!
Nancy Mike
This book has some useful strategies that parents can use with their kids with autism. However, I think that this book tries to market for Son-Rise Model, and tries to say that this model is the cure for autism!. The book kinda gives parents some false hopes. And definitely represents ABA therapy as not effective, which is not accurate by any means..!
Jerry Hillyer
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[I apologize the links are not present. If you wish to follow the links, visit the original post at my blog: http://specialeducationteacher.typepa...]

Title: Autism Breakthrough

Autism Treatment Center of America

Autism Breakthrough: Additional Content

Autism Treatment Center of America: Facebook

The Son-Rise Program: Blog

[I am required by FCC law to inform you that I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for my f
Ernest
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope for all dealing with Autism Spectrum Disorder

It is very comforting to have a book that understands the psychological aspects of being both a child on the spectrum as well as a motivated caregiver later in life. This unique perspective works wonders for anyone trying to understand an afflicted child’s world. I appreciate greatly the guidance and stories from the Son-Rise program. It provides a much needed and refreshing alternative to the well-known ABA therapy program. The most important t
رهف عبدالله
لازالت اذكر المناقشة السريعة بيني وبين أستاذتي عن هذا النوع من التدخلات، أفكار راون كوفمان كانت تبدو بسيطة وطبيعية جدًا لكن قدم المنهجية مع قلة التعريج نحو فاعليتها مثار للتساؤلات!

بالنظر الى الفكرة والاجراءات وحدها فهي تبدو جديرة بالتجربة، لكن لقدم التدخل نطالب الكاتب ان يقدم ادلة علمية تثبت فاعلية تدخله! فكلنا نعرف ان ما يصلح للعاديين قد لا يصلح بالضارورة لذوي التوحد. ومن هذا المنطلق علينا التحري.
الكتاب يشرح منهجية صن رايز بوضح، لاحظت انه يهاجم مدخل تحليل السلوك بينما هو نفسه يستخدم بعض تقنيا
Tom Hunter
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an intense and amazing look at a mind that was diagnosed with autism. Once one grasps that--though the meat is the same for everybody--the squishy digital mind that is created is different and unique for each person, afflicted with ASD or not. Thus, the use of the word "afflicted" is really a misnomer, as who are we to say what is a correct brain and what is not.

Fascinating read. Should be followed with his father's two books named "Son Rise".
Patsy
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to choose a rating for this book, since I haven't put into practice any of its teachings, but it made a lot of sense. I plan to re-read the book, paying more specific attention to the parts that apply to my high-functioning autistic grandchildren, and see if those techniques help me and them.
Todd
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life Changing

As a parent of an autistic child, this is a must read. The one voice for hope in the crowd. It’s amazing to me how many people don’t want to listen to someone who had autism and recovered. They should ask themselves why...
Ashley Smith
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book, it has some very great advise and I love the idea of the Son-rise program but I have a hard time believing that he is "cured" of autism!
Daniel Sandoval
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Inspiring! Full of hope for our son!
Faisal ElBeheiry
كتاب تخصصي رائع عن التوحد
Susan Novack
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life changing because it taught me that everything I know in the world of autism has been turned upside down. An interesting and informative read!
Desiree Rammon
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very helpful and hopeful advice.
Shiloah
Great for parents of young autistic children. Mine are 22, 15, and 6.
Susan Olesen
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This came across my desk as an audiobook, so of course I had to go track down the book. Raun is the same autistic child who was the focus of the book Son-Rise in the early 70’s. And the most amazing thing about that book? Raun Kaufman is no longer autistic. Not an Asperger. Not anything but normal, thanks to the program his parents created.
And I have been a Kaufman guru since 1976, when I read Son-Rise.

Because of Son-Rise, I wanted to work with autistics, too – and I’ve been doing that for 28
Leeann

Before I review the book, a caveat:

I was thrilled to see a book written by Raun Kaufman. He doesn't know it, but his story changed the trajectory of my life 25+ years ago. I was in my bedroom, watching my black and white tv, when a movie came on that left me captivated, intrigued and with the absolute knowledge that I had just witnessed what I was meant to do with my life.. to work with autistic children. From that moment until I had my own children a number of years later, I read everything I c
Chairimy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every parent of autistic child should read it.
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
When the book blurb reads, “This is the book that parents, professionals and educators of children with Autism have always wanted!” the book has a great deal to live up to and guess what, this one really does live up to the hype. I am an educator who has taught Autistic children in the regular classroom and I am a parent of a recently diagnosed child with Autism/Asperger’s Syndrome (February 2014), and I can tell you based on my research and reading on the topic this book is one of the best I ha ...more
Elizabeth H.
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very interesting, insightful, and thoughtful. The author was diagnosed with autism at an early age and Son-Rise method, which is joining the child in their world, helped Raun to overcome autism. In other words, instead of stopping or punishing the behavior, join in the behavior with the child. In the book, Raun goes more in depth with this topic, which is the cornerstone of the Son-Rise method, developed by his parents. Raun talks about the fact that autism is not a behav ...more
Onionboy
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This guy is an amazing writer. I mean this as a compliment when I say that I feel he could sell me anything. I know that is usually said of sleazy salesmen, but in this case I say that because the author knows that what he has got is the real thing and it really works better than the alternatives, and he can explain that in a simple, clear way. He makes it logical and obvious. It makes me want to read more by this author.

I read this because I have son who was recently diagnosed with Asperger's.
Ari Jarvis
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Families affected by autism, anxiety, ocd, depression, other social interaction disorders
This book details the treatment fundamentals of the Son-Rise Program, which is used at the Autism Treatment Center of America. Raun, the author, is so upbeat and positive, it is impossible to resist his optimism. I know there are a lot of skeptics who flat out deny this treatment works (to the extent that they claim Raun is actually institutionalized...which Raun claims to be greatly exaggerated), but frankly, so much of the ideas he puts forth seem to be simple common sense way of parenting ANY ...more
Sunny Polito
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought Autism Breakthrough for our OT. She told me at my son Campbell's last appointment that, because she was reading Autism Breakthrough, she intentionally let Campbell guide their session, and she had a great response from him. When he started making funky clicking noises with his mouth in the middle of their session, instead of encouraging him to stop so they could continue, she completely switched gears, dropped her agenda, joined him in clicking and they became 'clocks' - which he loved! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Son Rise: The Miracle Continues
  • Brains, Trains & Video Games
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • A Regular Guy: Growing Up with Autism
  • Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives
  • George and Sam
  • Making Peace with Autism: One Family's Story of Struggle, Discovery, and Unexpected Gifts
  • Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous and Independent Children
  • Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All in Your Head
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • The Interpersonal World Of The Infant: A View from Psychoanalysis and Developmental Psychology
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts Are Bad for Business
  • Ido in Autismland: Climbing Out of Autism's Silent Prison
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations
  • Nourishing Traditions Bk Baby Child Care
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly about the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • The Boy Who Loved Windows: Opening The Heart And Mind Of A Child Threatened With Autism
  • Somebody Somewhere: Breaking Free from the World of Autism
As a boy, Raun K. Kaufman was diagnosed by multiple experts as severely autistic, with an IQ below 30, and destined to spend his life in an institution. Years later, Raun graduated with a degree in Biomedical Ethics from the Ivy League’s Brown University and has become a passionate and articulate spokesperson for the Autism community. Raun K. Kaufman is now Director of Global Education of the Auti ...more