Start by marking “Textastrophe: A Collection of Hilariously Catastrophic Text Pranks” as Want to Read:
Textastrophe: A Collection of Hilariously Catastrophic Text Pranks

Textastrophe: A Collection of Hilariously Catastrophic Text Pranks

Once upon a time, prank phone calls were the best way to procrastinate, but in 2015, they’re so passé. Instead, Matt Andrews has mastered the art of prank texting. What happens when you offer to barter two sub-sandwiches for a used motorcycle? Who do you call when you want to build a mysterious man cave in your basement? What do you do if you need a knight in shining armor ...more
Published February 17th 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Textastrophe, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

karen
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-laughter
looks like i'm all grown up now! utterly adult and humorless!

i don't know why i thought i would enjoy this book. i've never enjoyed "pranksters," or aggressive performative gag comedy, so even if this book had been written by someone who was genuinely funny, i probably would still have been the wrong audience for it. but this guy just isn't that funny. i am not a fan of andy kaufman, but at least there was a cleverness to his schtick. i could appreciate his manipulation of boundaries and his pro
Suzanne
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, owned
This was a bit of a laugh. A prankster texter. Probably just reaffirms what I've been thinking. No one can talk anymore. Too much texting! I read most of this on a 3.5 hour road trip.

Need a little tolerance though, some a little crude. And a little silly!
Hil
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2014
Fairly entertaining for a couple of hours but I think I laughed about twice (the Italian restaurant logo one was the only one I'd say was funny). It's the same format as Damn You Autocorrect by Jillian Madison, but that one is at least 1000 times more funny. If you like those hidden camera wind up tv shows or djs that do wind up calls, this is the same sort of thing.
Michelle
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
These were funny from the view of the person pulling the prank but irritating for the one on the other end of it.It takes a good sense of humor on both ends to appreciate pranks.The trick is to stay out of trouble when doing it.
Merel
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Fun at first but became monotone after that.
Shan
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
who knew that text pranks could be so hilarious. :-)
Meg - A Bookish Affair
As author Matt Andrews shows in "Textastrophe," putting your phone number in a public place like a Craigslist listing or on a sign may be a bad idea, a really bad idea. Andrews has perfected the final art of text pranking and this book is a collection of some of the different text pranks that he has pulled.

If you read the Textastrophe blog, you might be familiar with some of these pranks as I was. However, there were a lot of other hilarious pranks that I was not familiar with that I loved readi
Tima
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Combine boredom and a huge supply of random cell numbers and you have this hilarious book. The author was working at a boring cell phone kiosk when he started his cell phone pranks. What resulted was a book that will make you laugh, a lot.

Each prank begins with the ad or flyer that inspired it. The format is as if the reader is seeing the actual phone. Pranks such as trading two sub sandwiches for a motorcycle and offering up a parents garage for boat storage are just a few of the pranks the aut
Sara
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Written by Matt Andrews, Textastrophe is a collection of prank texts. While the author worked at a phone store he took advantage of the phones to make prank texts if he found ads on Craigslist with people's phone numbers.

I have to admit this book is pretty amusing. Prank texts is a funny idea, but I wouldn't call this book laugh out loud funny. I chuckled here and there, but I think this book needs to be read in short bursts because I found myself feeling bad when the people (who had no idea th
Kerri
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads.

I had already read most of these pranks on the author's blog, so it wasn't QUITE as hilarious for me the second (or third) time around. However, my husband read through it last night and told me it was "*expletive deleted* hysterical," so there's that.

Whether these really happened or not, they're pretty funny. Mission accomplished, Mr. Andrews.
Hannah Oliver
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-i-ve-won
I received this book And started reading it right away. I was in need of a much needed laugh and I got just that. I myself am a fan of the phone call pranks and have done my fair share of "internet trolling" through Reddit and many other social media sites. But I enjoy this new form of prank and may even try some of these if I were get the chance. Its a nice little read for a Sunday afternoon, a day in a park, or curled up in your bed for the sole purpose of because you can.
Nadine
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a great volume to pick up for a laugh when you have only a few minutes to read or you want to get your mind off something else as you will end up smirking if not laughing at the text sequences. Warning: not for children as almost all end in profanity and some are sexually suggestive. A family member picked it up, browsed, and was quite offended I had the book. I received a copy for review from Goodread First Reads.
Elisabeth Hosmer
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks. Litterally all you need to know. Textastrophe is a collection of pranks via text that will make you laugh out loud. A perfect coffee table book or bathroom book, I found myself unable to put it down. Great gift in my opinion!
Michelle
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
This book is Hysterical. It is a quick easy read. basically you are reading texts from the Author to people he is messing with. The language is raw in a lot of places, but it is still endlessly entertaining. I dare you not to laugh out loud at his outrageous texts to poor unsuspecting people.
Chuck Knudsen
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is against my general practice of not enjoying books by assholes, but these pranks were pretty funny. I question how real they are, but that didn't stop me from giggling at some of the responses.
Rebecca Colton
Jan 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found that it was a quick read for down time but to me nothing was funny or made me laugh from the "pranks" in this book. Something that I would say that impressed me about this was the design and format on the way it's content was laid out.
Amy Lahr
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I won this book from Goodreads.
I didn't really find any of these text pranks funny. They almost seemed just kind of mean and wasted people's time.
What I did like about this book was the layout and the cover art.
Afomia Ayele
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So hilarious

I really enjoyed this ......book? It was funny, but very different from what I usually read. I'm probably going to recommend this to my friends.
Amalie
Dec 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, dnf
The texts weren't particularly funny, and they just seemed kinda obnoxious, and like extremely rude.
Cindy Kleback
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, nonfiction
Juvenile? Yes. Funny? Yes. Creative? Yes. Worth a read? Yes, if only for the graphic design prank.
Crystal
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
There were a few very funny parts. Mostly this was a quick read that just lead to some smiles but few belly laughs.
Roxane Laursen
Dec 18, 2015
laura powell
May 10, 2016
George Dudley
rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2018

• Only with the Heart
  • Tinder Nightmares
  • The Shark Curtain
  • Steel Valentine
  • The Making of a Serial Killer: The Real Story of the Gainesville Student Murders in the Killer's Own Words
  • Shattered Dreams
  • Wheels Up: Sky Jinks in the Jet age
  • A Plague upon Humanity: The Hidden History of Japan's Biological Warfare Program
  • Siamese