Start by marking “Saving Grace” as Want to Read:
Saving Grace

Saving Grace

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  11,880 ratings  ·  1,436 reviews
Grace and Ted Chapman are widely regarded as the perfect literary power couple. Ted is a successful novelist and Grace, his wife of twenty years, is beautiful, stylish, carefree, and a wonderful homemaker.

But what no one sees, what is churning under the surface, is Ted’s rages. His mood swings. And the precarious house of cards that their lifestyle is built upon. When Ted’
Published December 30th 2014 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Grace, please sign up.
Trudy Continuity errors throughout...call England while you are cooking dinner for friends and find out what Lydia is planning to have for dinner??? Please.…moreContinuity errors throughout...call England while you are cooking dinner for friends and find out what Lydia is planning to have for dinner??? Please. This book seemed rather sloppy.(less)

·  11,880 ratings  ·  1,436 reviews

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, Womens Fiction Readers
This book really took me by surprise, I had read the blurb but let me tell you this, I don't think it does it much justice. You know those books that you start reading, think maybe it's going to be a bit average but before long you are sucked in and can't put it down as you HAVE to know what happens next?

This is one of those books! I absolutely found this a delightfully well written treat of a book. A great book to kick off early 2015 with.

Grace and Ted Chapman are widely regarded as the perfect
Terri
Oct 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I kept checking the back of the book and the intro to see if there was any mention of this story being one big infomercial about mental disorder, over eating and vitamin deficiency:

"Vitamin D, omega-3s, Vitamin E, B-12, choline and inositol, SAMe, zinc, DHEA. Every day she pops handfuls of these pills, but right now, driving to Harmont House, foggy-headed after her lengthy afternoon sleep, embarrassed at being so ridiculous about Beth trying to do something nice for her, Grace starts t
★★★★
Saving Grace is a women’s fiction novel written by Jane Green. The main character, Grace is a woman who has lost who she once was. Don’t we all move in different directions and kind of become different people as we grow though? But growing and losing ourselves are two very different things. Grace’s life was very interesting to me. Among other things, she struggles with a secret fear that she will gradually and unknowingly succumb to her family history of mental illness. Circumstances in her
Jen
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received an advanced copy of Jane Green's latest novel from the publisher. Unfortunately, it is in drastic need of an editor. Characters traits are developed only to be completely dropped without explanation. The novel seemed to be developing in one direction before completely dropping one plot line and cramming in another. Character motives and decisions made absolutely no sense. Very disappointing.

Patrice Hoffman
I tend to like novels by Jane Green. Most chick-lit is uncomplicated and full of women who fawn over men they think are usually out of their league. These women tend to be unassuming, befuddled, insecure, and annoying. Although Green's novels are always well-written and entertaining, her main heroine, Grace Chapman, holds at least a few of those qualities.

Grace Chapman has the picture perfect life. She's married to a successful author, has a beautiful, talented daughter, and a knack for creating
Katie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
contains spoilers...
I love Jane Green's early books, and I was super excited for this one. However, it just seems as though her writing has changed over her past few novels.
That being said, I found the main characters to be unrealistic. For someone so smart as Grace to take one doctor's advice and take 6 -plus drugs everyday for a disease she doesn't believe she has-- not believable. Also, her relationship with Ted didn't seem quite right either.
I thought it was crazy how many pages Green spen
Diane S ☔
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
2.5 Not my favorite of her by any means. Grace drove me crazy, I know her background and childhood played into it, but her naivetés was beyond belief. This was a quick read, loved the character Sybil, my kind of unpretentious gal. Loved all the cooking talk and recipes but just found this to be very gushy and a bit unbelievable.

Arc from netgalley.
Kooky
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-womens
Margaret Madden
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Grace Chapman has what most women want, the perfect life. Her husband, Ted, is a renowned literary author, her daughter has grown up and flown the nest without incident and she is regular in the society pages of upscale magazines, featuring the perfect home to go with the perfect marriage. However, not everything is perfect. Ted is controlling, her life is full of shallow acquaintances and lack of genuine friendships. The only thing that keeps her busy is her charity work. So much so, that when ...more
Elaine
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A perfect stranger wants her perfect life.

Grace Chapman has the perfect life, living comfortably with her husband, bestselling author Ted, in a picture-perfect farmhouse on the Hudson River in New York State.

Then Ted advertises for a new assistant, and Beth walks into their lives. Organized, passionate and eager to learn, Beth quickly makes herself indispensable to Ted and his family. But Grace soon begins to feel side-lined in her home - and her marriage - by this ambitious younger woman.

Is Gr
Connie
I listened to my first Jane Green and found it to be OK. I picked it up not really knowing what to expect and what I thought at first took a bit of a different turn, but I quickly picked up on the fact that "Beth" was not what she appeared...and was too good to be true.

All in all, I found that I was ahead of the clues and so this was a bit predictable. A little far fetched maybe, though no less creepy. I do have to say that this is one of the few times I wish I had read the book and not listen
DKM
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Utterly predictable and poorly written. The simplest, most basic rule of writing is show--don't tell. This author not only "told," she did not tell it well.
Joy Epstein
Dec 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
There is a good story waiting to break out of this muddle of a book. What is the main story here? Is it about a woman who escapes an abusive husband (the first impression)? Is it an expose of excessive prescribing of psychotherapeutic drugs, followed by more drugs to deal with side effects? Is it about misunderstanding of menopause symptoms? What about the manipulative employee? Each of these topics describes a good and thoughtful examination in an absorbing novel. Unfortunately Saving Grace doe ...more
Laurel-Rain
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
They were the envy of all who knew them: Ted, the bestselling author, and his wife, Grace, a food editor and on the board of a home for abused women. They lived in Sneden's Landing, near Manhattan, in a gorgeous home sometimes featured in magazines.

But behind closed doors, there were cracks in the façade that showed up in the form of Ted's temper and in Grace's vulnerability. A vulnerability based on her fear of turning into her mentally ill mother, a secret she has carefully kept for years.

When
Amanda Patterson
Nov 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Chapman's 'perfect' life is disrupted by the arrival of another woman who steals her husband.
This is an ordinary story written in an extraordinarily bad way. I am not sure what Green was doing, but the transitions between chapters were clumsy - as if they had been patched together as an afterthought. The pace is sluggish and the author preaches about mental disorders, medication and weight issues.
If you like cooking, there are lots of recipes dotted throughout the book.
Marty
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little predictable and the heroine was somewhat naive. OK more than somewhat. The epilogue could have been shorter. And you really wanted the villainess to get hers, but still a good ending . Perfect for a long drive.
Bethany Clark
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I would like to first thank Net Galley and Pan Macmillan for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

On the outside Grace and Ted Chapman are look to be the perfect couple to everyone they know, but behind close doors that isn't the case at all. As a stay at home mom Grace has been the perfect wife taking care of her husband in the best of times as well as the worst (which seem far more frequent). Ted's standing the literary community seems to be going down hill book by book and Grace seems to
Carol Brill
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Grace Chapman has been married to mega-author, Ted for over 20 years. They love each other and from the outside they have the perfect.life. In reality, Ted is self-centered with a raging temper and an ego that needs constant stroking. After growing up with a verbally abusive, mentally ill mother, Grace is used to walking on eggshells and good at placating Ted's anger until the storm passes.
Their life gets turned upside down when Ted's long term assistant, Ellen leaves her job. Enter Beth, the n
Carly Ellen Kramer
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SAVING GRACE Hardcover Giveaway Contest (ends 2/29/16): https://crowdedearthkitchen.com/2016/...

This is an AMAZING book - it's quiet at the beginning, but grabbed me as the middle approached, and I couldn't put it down until all the pieces came together. The story lines made me think "Gone Girl meets Single White Female". Sometimes heartwarming, sometimes creepy, sometimes romantic, and sometimes suspenseful - this book has it all. I enjoyed the hops back and forth between the US and England, a
Judith
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
I usually enjoy Jane Green's work a great deal but felt a bit let down by this book. The premise was intriguing and who would not be keen to see whether Grace Chapman would stand up to her bully of a husband, or indeed the seemingly indispensable assistant they employ? However the story became too predictable and I often felt Grace to be too much of a doormat to believe in her c
Judy Collins
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

WOW, Jane Green the "queen" of women's fiction once again delivers, a complex and "scandalously" delicious account of one woman’s search to find herself, and another woman’s obsession to make her disappear. I believe #16 may be her best book yet!

Grace is a strong, caring, and driven woman, married to Ted Chapman, a famous novelist for over twenty years, with a grown daughter; a picture perfect
Jimmy
Nov 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
It's a bad sign, I think, that the tagline for this book --A perfect marriage can also be the perfect target dot dot dot-- is quickly disproven within the first few pages. Apparently, a by and large loveless marriage with abuse and piss poor communication is perfect so long the people within the marriage are wealthy and reasonably world famous. From the word go the only thing 'perfect' about these people are their money, image and status. So yes, I suppose if one is materialistic and status cons ...more
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Disclaimer: My sincere thanks to NetGalley and St Martin's Press for providing me with a complimentary e-book copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

My Review: Jane Green has a solid reputation as an author of women's fiction. Many years ago I had read one of her books and remember enjoying it. But it wasn't until last month that I picked up another book by Green -- Another Piece Of My Heart and listened to the e-audio version. Unfortunately that book, and sadly, Saving Grace haven't
Amanda Lila
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2015 Reading Challenge: A BOOK WRITTEN BY A FEMALE AUTHOR

"A perfect stranger wants her perfect life" except her life wasn't perfect, and neither was the stranger.

I really liked the book, though the idea kind of scared me. Because... Duuh! Someone comes in your life and wrecks it without you even noticing, that sure is scary as hell.

I barely remember when was the last time I felt so angry when reading a book. Beth was a total b**ch and Grace was willing to accept everything thrown at her and
Una Tiers
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Where to begin with a long list of complaints about the characters, vapid thoughts and preposterous plot. End of review.
Why even two stars? There were glimpses of child hood that resonated for me.
Benish Khan (Queen.Beenie)
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jane Green is one of my favorite authors, and I'm glad Saving Grace does not fail to disappoint. Her novels always seem to be well-written, and she attains your attention right away from the first page. Grace Chapman has the perfect life with her husband Ted .. on the outside only. Their private life consists of Ted's mood swings and rage, although, he is not abusive. Grace has a few dark secrets of her own that no one knows, not even her husband.

From the beginning of the chapter, you can imagi
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
I've read previous books by this author before and I've got to admit that although I enjoyed this read it wasn't one of my favourites from this author.

Grace is married to Ted a famous novelist and they've got a grown up daughter. When Teds long term assistant Ellen leaves then in enters Beth the new fabulous assistant. But is she as fabulous as she seems??

Things start happening that messes with Graces head. I so wanted to shake her and tell her to open her eyes. I guess it's true life as most o
Courtney
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I LOVE Jane Green. I've read all her books and feel she is just my "comfort food" when it comes to books. She really invests in her characters and gives good description of them so that you can immerse in their (often soap opera-ish) lives. In her latest novel, she also throws in a bit of mystery that adds another element to the story.

I also like how she incorporates London into many of her books since she's originally from the UK. Many of her books reflect women who have to find their inner st
Susan
omg!!! this book was crazy and awesome!!!
Goodreads Librari...: audiobook missing cover 2 12 May 07, 2018 07:50PM

• How Lucky You Are
  • The Never Never Sisters
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Hostile Makeover
  • Put a Ring On It (Black Dog Bay, #3)
  • The Spinster Sisters
  • The In-Between Hour
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Ice Creams at Carrington’s
  • When We Were Sisters
  • Driving with the Top Down
  • Life on the Ramona Coaster
  • The Dead Wife's Handbook
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi
“I thought my entire life was coming apart, but I think I just realized that sometimes the thing you think is going to ruin your life is the thing that saves you.” 2 likes
“sometimes the thing you think is going to ruin your life is the thing that saves you.” 1 likes