What do you think?
Rate this book
320 pages, Paperback
First published March 24, 2015
“Don’t be a Helen.”
I wanted to amaze everybody, including myself. My own personal campaign of shock and awe.
• Find a deeper spiritual connection to nature.
• Push myself beyond my physical and emotional limitations.
• Rise up from my own ashes like a phoenix.
• Toughen the hell up.
• Become awesome.
• Kick the wilderness’s ass.
• Earn a damned certificate.(I really, really wanted a Certificate.)
“You’re going to start seeing him with kinder eyes. I know you are.”
“Yep,” Jake said, nodding. “Once I show you how to see him the way I do, you won’t go back.”
I didn't belong here, which would have been okay if I'd been able to tell myself there was somewhere else - anywhere else - that I did belong.I loved that Helen's search for herself didn't come across as cheesy or contrived. Because it easily could have. If ever there was a cliché, it’s a divorcee looking for the meaning of life on a grueling wilderness hike while crushing on a much younger man . . .