Start by marking “All the Old Knives” as Want to Read:
All the Old Knives

All the Old Knives

Six years ago in Vienna, terrorists took over a hundred hostages, and the rescue attempt went terribly wrong. The CIA's Vienna station was witness to this tragedy, gathering intel from its sources during those tense hours, assimilating facts from the ground and from an agent on the inside. So when it all went wrong, the question had to be asked: Had their agent been ...more
Published March 10th 2015 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about All the Old Knives, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Robert
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of All the Old Knives
Darwin8u
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
― Olen Steinhauer, All the Old Knives

description

First a disclosure. I'm a Steinhauer completist. I love Olen Steinhauer. For many reasons. First, he is one of the few, modern spy novelists that seems interested in writing quality espionage fiction, during a period when spy fiction is evolving as the business of espionage shifts. Second, Steinhauer is pushing, incrementally, towards the long shadow of le Carré. With
Lewis Weinstein
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific spy story told from a very unusual perspective ... a man and a woman are having dinner ... both were with the CIA in Vienna 5 years before (the man is still CIA, the woman is not, maybe) when a horrendous terrorist incident took place ... their dinner is no accident, nor is it a social event, although the two were lovers in Vienna ... each one suspects the other of being the source to the terrorists and uses the conversation to try to confirm or deny that belief ... Steinhauer ...more
Manuel Antão
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

They Do Things Differently There: "All the Old Knives" by Olen Steinhauer

“One part of my history is gone. That gaggle of friends has disappeared. This collection of embarrassing memories can no longer be discovered by someone going through my stuff. [ ] It was always about the future. What’s that they say about the past?” That it’s another country?”

As a reader I would say, of course, people are essentially the same, doesn’t matter
Paul
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
All The Old Knives – An Interesting Spy Story

Olen Steinhauer is often compared to John Le Carre with his writing, and he is certainly a master of writing Spy Thrillers and has a prodigious output which is not comparable to many writers. All The Old Knives is a small but punchy spy thriller that is an engagingly well written book without any padding.

All The Old Knives Olen Steinhauer has a come up with a plot and a setting in which is unusual in that all the action takes place around a dining
Antigone
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
More novella than novel, Steinhauer's All the Old Knives is one of those miniature offerings that barely fits in the palm of your hand. In keeping with its toy-like presentation, the author admits this project was somewhat of a lark - a story that came to him upon encountering a Masterpiece Theater production starring Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson in which all the action took place at a restaurant table. Could he produce an espionage novel employing the same restriction? This is his attempt.

Laurie Anderson
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
A bit baffled by this one, but it may be a book that is better read with the eyes, and I read it with my ears. Some books don’t work quite as well in audio.
Nancy
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Olen Steinhauer signals what he's up to at the very beginning of his clever All the Old Knives (St. Martins/Minotaur Books, paperback ARC) when CIA agent Henry Pelham discusses the state of contemporary spy fiction with a fellow airline passenger. She's reading an old Len Deighton. "They just don't make stories like this anymore. ... You knew who the bad guys were back then.''

Actually, they do still write traditional spy novels -- see Joseph Kanon, above -- and Steinhauer's new book isn't as
Jack
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Soon to be a major motion picture, starring Michelle Williams and Christopher Pine. I predict that it will be a good one and I'm looking forward to the tub of popcorn and the big Diet Pepsi.

The upshot: Two "exes", Henry Pelham and Celia Harrison, meet up for a restaurant dinner in Carmel-by-the-Sea, on California's picturesque central coast. But this is no ordinary "Hey, how has life been treating ya?" reunion dinner: Henry is an active CIA agent and Celia is an ex-CIA agent. The purpose of the
Lori
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a novel that only took a couple of hours to read it certainly delivered a punch. I'm not a fan of espionage books so in the beginning I wasn't sure this was going to be for me, but about a 1/4 of the way in I was hooked. Really enjoyed.
Mal Warwick
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just try to dream up a story linking a terrorist hijacking in Vienna and the CIA with two former lovers at dinner in a gourmet restaurant in Carmel, California. Give up? Well, it’s been done.

This curious little book — a novella, really — emerged from the author’s long-standing desire to write a book centered on two people at dinner. I don’t know about you, but I’m always suspicious (and often disdainful) about fiction that’s meant to execute someone’s idea about writing style or structure. This
Betty
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I definitely had a problem getting through this book even though it is less than 300 pages. The plot line just did not work for me.

Two former spies, once romantically involved, meet over dinner in Carmel, California. Both are still bothered by a terrorist attack several years previously. One of them wants to finally know the truth about the tragedy on which terrorists took over a commercial airliner and used the children onboard as pawns.

The book is slow paced and takes place over only one
Col
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, s
Synopsis/blurb…..
Celia used to lie for a living. Henry still does. Can they ever trust each other? Nine years ago, Henry and Celia were lovers and colleagues, both working for the CIA station in Vienna. Until terrorists hijacked a plane at the airport, a rescue attempt, staged from the inside, went terribly wrong and everyone on board was killed. That night has continued to haunt all of those involved; for Henry and Celia, it brought to an end their relationship. Celia decided she'd had enough;
Jenny (Reading Envy)
As we were heading off on vacation, my husband asked me to "pick" an audiobook to listen to. I decided to find a spy novel since some of the television we will both watch has to do with spies. I knew of Olen Steinhauer after my book club read The Cairo Affair, and so I picked the shortest of his novels that hadn't been already turned into a film.

This takes place almost entirely in a restaurant during a conversation two former lovers are having about a 2006 terrorist situation in the Vienna
aPriL does feral sometimes
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy
Henry Pelham and Celia Harrison once worked in Vienna, Austria in 2006. They are CIA. They were lovers.

Then, Ilyas Shishani, a Chechen radical who had become an Islamic terrorist, directed the hijacking of an Viennese airplane, although he was not onboard. The terrorists threatened to kill passengers if what they wanted didn't happen. They expected the immediate release of some of their friends in German prisons. (view spoiler)
Trish
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Steinhauer is a capable author and is not to be blamed, I do not think, for the fact that midway through this cynical story about retired spies closing a case once and for all that I just got really sick of hearing, thinking, caring about spies and their circuitous world. I have begun to think, ever since reading Kai Bird's The Good Spy: The Life and Death of Robert Ames, that we should close the spy agencies and be done with the whole ridiculous deal of trying to find out secrets through a ...more
Linda
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was psychological thriller from the get go. Two agents stationed in Austria deal with the high jacking of an airliner with over 100 innocents on board. The terrorists threaten to kill all on board if their demands are not met. Being CIA agents, both Henry & Ceila, work their sources to try and find an life saving solution. Little do they know that there is a traitor in their mist and the conclusion of this terrorist act haunts all involved for years to come.

Henry loves Ceila and
Ann
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clever, clever, clever - a very quiet buildup and a huge wallop of a punch at the end - to the point that I had to go back and 're-listen' (audiobook) to glean clues I must have missed first time around. An Amazon 'best book of the month, March 2015'. A short novel, masquerading as a quiet 'what's the point' book at the beginning, and then you have to wake up and pay attention. The story is about two CIA operatives in Vienna in 2006 (one now retired) - however the total scene takes place in one ...more
Cherise Wolas
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very intriguing spy-espionage tale. Set over a dinner table when two former lovers, one still a spy, the other not, meet in Carmel-by-the-Sea, to discuss the 5-year old highjacking of a plane in Austria, a case they were both involved in. I've loved watching Berlin Station, created by Steinhauer, and this is the first book of his I've read, but now I'd like to read them all.
Dorothy
I confess I was not familiar with Olen Steinhauer's work, but it seems he has authored a number of novels of international intrigue that have been highly acclaimed. From what I have learned of his writing, he specializes in elaborate, very intricate plots which keep the reader guessing right up until the end. All the Old Knives continues that tradition.

This is the story of two old C.I.A. colleagues and lovers, Henry Pelham and Celia Harrison (now Favreau). They were working together in Vienna in
Bob
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A Satisfying Read But Nothing Special!

I have been a fan of Olen Steinhauer since his first book. Having now finished his newest book, All The Old Knives, my overall feeling is that it is a satisfying, entertaining read but not one I'd recommend you rush out to read. This is because while there was nothing I disliked about it, there was also nothing about it that made me feel that it stands out from other books in the spy novel genre. As a matter of fact, although the two principal characters in
Anmiryam
A very enjoyable and focused spy novel that Olen Steinhauer undertook as a challenge to himself following a viewing a dramatization of a poem -- "The Song of Lunch" by Christopher Reid. Could he, Steinhauer wondered, construct a spy novel that shared a setting and a premise? The answer is: sort of.

Instead of a reunion of ex-lovers over lunch, "All the Old Knives" centers on a dinner shared between old paramours, one a former spy and the other still active. And, while their meal at an
David L.
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I give this 3.5 stars. Henry and Celia are ex-lovers who met while working for the CIA, but now Celia is married with children and living the idyllic California life in Carmel by-the-sea. Henry needs to pay her a visit to tidy up loose ends years after an event that unraveled them from one another, and for Celia it seems, from her career as a spy. Unfortunately for them both, a horrific terrorist incident occurs in western Europe, on their watch, alters both their lives forever. Thus the story ...more
Deb
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a reader of 'spy' fiction, as a rule. I like a good mystery and a good thriller. So when I saw this novel described as a spy novel, I almost did not pick it up. What a mistake that would have been.
Set in a restaurant, all the action takes place in flash-backs. But rather than that making it a slow read, in this author's hands, it has a sharp sense of place and immediacy.
It's a very quick read. It's easy (and probably best) to finish it in one sitting - let the momentum of this story
Robert French
Jul 08, 2016 marked it as abandoned
Although a fan of Olen Steinhauer, I simply could not get involved with All the Old Knives. Perhaps it is better as a film, but then I rarely have time to watch movies.
Steven
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I haven't enjoyed the dinner for two format very much the other times I have read books where it was used. I think I enjoyed this because of the evenness of the battle between Henry and Celia with the winner making the proverbial three point basket with two seconds left. Once again terrific characterization and real human emotions characterize this story. No James Bond this time.
Wendy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
My first book by this author. Got it at a library book sale. This book centers around 2 ex-lovers, one who got out of the CIA and now have another life, and another who is still in the life. They meet for dinner and recall a major terrorist event that caused their relationship to end. It's a short book and found the pacing slow. I had a difficult time getting into it at first. But, told from the perspective of both parties, it's intriguing. As a reader, I did not really know who is good or bad. ...more
Mayda
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
Six years ago, Henry and Celia worked together as agents, or to be more blunt, spies. They were also lovers. But when a rescue mission went wrong and hostages died, Celia abruptly left the service. Now, Henry is investigating that mission and what led to the deaths of so many people. Someone was a traitor, that much was certain. And he needed to find out if it was Celia. If nothing else, this gripping tale teaches that everyone is suspect and that no one can be trusted.
J. Kent Messum
A single interrogation scene stretched into the length of a short novel... that sums up my overall feelings on this novel. Sure, it had flashbacks to flesh things out, but in better book, written by a better writer, this would merely be part of a much bigger and intriguing story.

Olen has been hailed by too many people as “the next John Le Carre”. This is not true, or even remotely accurate. The pace of the novel never moves faster than a brisk walk, and so much of it boils down to a "he said,
John Brooke
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The hype on the back of Steinhauer’s books hails him as the next LeCarre. I can’t say I know the spy/espionage niche that broadly. But I have read all the Steinhauer books and several LeCarre's and this guy fits the bill for sure. It’s the knowledge plus the knowing voice. Steinhauer is not as cynical as LeCarre, but you can feel him getting there. What’s more important, you can feel Olen Steinhauer steadily becoming a masterful writer (like John LeCarre).

All the Old Knives is a quick read – 250
Patty
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

• The Accomplice
  • Lives Laid Away (August Snow #2)
  • Calculating the Cosmos: How Mathematics Unveils the Universe
  • Original Intent: The Courts, the Constitution, & Religion
  • Scouting and Scoring: How We Know What We Know about Baseball
  • The Sabermetric Revolution: Assessing the Growth of Analytics in Baseball
  • Wayfinding
  • Dan Gets a Minivan: Life at the Intersection of Dude and Dad
  • Fat Man Blues (Tubby Dubonnet #9)
  • Beijing Payback
  • The Winter Sisters
  • Cripple Creek (Turner, #2)
  • Cypress Grove (Turner, #1)
  • Bad Turn  (Charlie Fox, #13)
  • A Foreign Country (Thomas Kell, #1)
  • Resume Speed
  • Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough
Olen Steinhauer grew up in Virginia, and has since lived in Georgia, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, Texas, California, Massachusetts, and New York. Outside the US, he's lived in Croatia (when it was called Yugoslavia), the Czech Republic and Italy. He also spent a year in Romania on a Fulbright grant, an experience that helped inspire his first five books. He now lives in Hungary with his wife and ...more
“Things happen. The only thing that matters is how we deal with the now. Either we face the difficult moral decisions with ever-stronger responses, or we do not. This is what separates the mensch from the asshole. Full stop.” 3 likes
“Perhaps it’s only those who don’t know us at all who are able to see us most clearly.” 2 likes