Start by marking “Every Fifteen Minutes” as Want to Read:
Every Fifteen Minutes

Read Book

Every Fifteen Minutes

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  26,293 ratings  ·  3,091 reviews
Dr. Eric Parrish is the Chief of the Psychiatric Unit at Havemeyer General Hospital outside of Philadelphia. Recently separated from his wife Alice, he is doing his best as a single Dad to his seven-year-old daughter Hannah. His work seems to be going better than his home life, however. His unit at the hospital has just been named number two in the country and Eric has a d ...more
Published April 14th 2015 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Every Fifteen Minutes, please sign up.
Lisa Scottoline C, Thanks so much for your terrific question. This book is one of my stand-alone books, which means it does not have the series characters that appear…moreC, Thanks so much for your terrific question. This book is one of my stand-alone books, which means it does not have the series characters that appear in my Rosato books. However, the characters are equally real and relatable, and it is full of twists and turns. I think you will really enjoy it, and hope you will give it a chance. Thanks for taking the time to write, and I'd love to know what you think if you get to read it. Love, L(less)
Susan Only suspenseful to those who ignore the obvious. Ultimately, a stupid book with a stupid ending.

·  26,293 ratings  ·  3,091 reviews

Start your review of Every Fifteen Minutes
Amanda
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
There were exciting parts of this book, but mostly I just found it unbelievable and overly wordy. The first 150 pages are just more and more examples of the shining example of humanity Eric is. The best and most devoted doctor, a fantastic father and better parent than that ex-wife, with whom of course he would have worked everything out if only she wasn't determined to leave, a great friend, extremely moral, etc, etc. It was really excessive. And the writing is clunky and verbose. As Eric made ...more
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Oh-so-chilling story of a self-proclaimed sociopath. A panel of those.
An explosive story if there ever was one. Don't want to spoil it but a reader is due for a load of surprises!

Q:
I’m a sociopath. I look normal, but I’m not. I’m smarter, better, and freer, because I’m not bound by rules, law, emotion, or regard for you.
I can read you almost immediately, get your number right away, and push your buttons to make you do whatever I want. I don’t really like you, but I’m so
Nona
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Watch for this novel on April 14, 2015

Have you ever read a book that stayed with you during the day while you were working, or going about your daily routine? A book that made you want to turn on the news to see what’s happening in the character’s lives – even though you KNOW you are just reading a novel? Lisa Scottoline’s “Every Fifteen Minutes” made me do just that! Poor Dr. Eric Parish, Chief of Psychiatry, with his personal and professional lives going up and down in quick succes
Susan
May 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reject
I can only speak to the first 5/8ths of this book. When the main character Eric Parrish prove too dumb for me to care about, I gave up. He's a doctor, the very successful head of the psychiatric unit of a hospital. And, yet, he makes one stupid error after another. He has the common sense of a door knob and has clearly never seen a procedural cop show on TV. I chose this book because of the acclaim. No acclaim here. Way too much lame for me. The writing was ok, the plot was a total FAIL.
Meredith Greene
May 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
lowest rating I've ever given a book I've finished reading. low rating due to:
**Corny, ridiculous, and unbelievable dialogue between Laurie, Paul, and Eric
**irrelevant details weighing down the story...serving no purpose except to annoy the 'reader and increase the word count
**unbelievable main character
BlackOxford
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american
The World Is Probably Out To Get You

Lisa Scottoline knows how to write a satisfying mystery. Just the right mix of prosaic detail, humour, and pace.

There is a downside however: sociopathy is revealed as potentially everywhere, in your spouse, your colleagues, your friends, and (if you’re a shrink) your clients.

So, if you aren’t already a bit mentally unstable, Every Fifteen Minutes may push you over the edge of paranoia. If you feel really comfortable with the idea of essential human goodness,
Matt
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Shelves: audiobook, buddy-read
Although I have never read the work of Lisa Scottoline, when a friend requested that I buddy read this book, I jumped at the opportunity. I came into this piece free from influence or expectations, but have come to feel strongly about the author’s work. Dr. Eric Parrish is the Head of Psychiatry at a rural Pennsylvania hospital, juggling a busy patient load on the ward, as well as in a private practice. When he is called down to the Emergency Department, he meets Max Jakubowski, a teenager who h ...more
Haley
May 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was truly disappointing. As someone who works in mental health, I was expecting to enjoy the character study of a sociopath. What I got instead was a very basic and surface-level mental health drama. The main character exhibits no professional boundaries and leaves reader questioning why he is the protagonist, making one ridiculous choice after another then wondering why he is having poor outcomes. I was bored Reading this book and only finished it because I paid 12.99 for it!
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I had only ever read one Lisa Scottoline book before this one, and I can remember it as being okay, just. So Every Fifteen Minutes was a very pleasant surprise.

Having trained as a psychiatric nurse way back when, I am inexorably drawn to anything to do with psychiatry, mental institutions, mental instability. And Every Fifteen Minutes has all of this in spades.

I started off thinking that this was merely an okay book, but as I got further into it I became engrossed in it. There are t
Stephanie
First off I won this as and ARC from Goodreads, so yay me!

I wanted to love this book but alas that was not the case. The main character, Dr. Parrish is the most ridiculous doctor I have ever read about.

This is the story of Dr. Eric Parrish, Chief of the Psychiatric department at Havenmeyer General Hospital or HGH. He is loved by his staff and the board of directors because he has almost singlehandedly made the unit the most talked about psychiatric hospital/unit in the ar
Diane
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
The marketing hook for this novel is that the main character has been targeted by a sociopath, and in my case, the advertising worked. This was the first Lisa Scottoline novel I've read, and I picked it up because it sounded like a good thriller.

"I'm a sociopath. I look normal, but I'm not. I'm smarter, better, and freer, because I'm not bound by rules, law, emotion, or regard for you. I can read you almost immediately, get your number right away, and push your buttons to make you do
Mariah Roze
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
I saw this book at Walmart and picked it up because the cover was intriguing. Once I read the back and I know this is exactly the type of book I love, so I rented it from the library. When reading it I had no idea all the twists and turns and adventures this book would take me it. It kept surprising me and I constantly had no idea what to expect. I suggest this book to everyone! Especially people that like murder books, suspense and mystery.

"Dr. Eric Parrish is the Chief of the Psych
Liz Barnsley
So having always thoroughly enjoyed Lisa Scottoline’s thrillers I was looking forward to Every Fifteen Minutes and I really loved it – I found it was actually the most addictive novel yet from this author with a really intriguing story, some lovely little twists and turns and some great characters.

So Eric Parrish is not having the best time in his personal life – meanwhile in his professional one he has attracted the attention of a dangerously unstable personality – oblivious to this
Carol Hennion
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the story of a prestigious young psychiatrist who is chief of psychiatry at a large hospital. He is clear-thinking and full of compassion for his patients. Suddenly his life begins falling apart - he is separated from his wife and has custody issues around his seven year old daughter, and then the sky falls in on his life. He first accused of sexual harassment of a pretty young resident, then put on indefinite leave from his position, all the while trying to treat a young man with a seri ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I started out loving this book. I could not put it down! But then some of the things that Dr. Eric Parrish let his soon-to-be ex-wife do to him started getting on my nerves. And the fact that he did nothing over the sexual harassment he was getting from a student at his hospital. All of that stuff just went on and on until they blew up in his face and I wanted to throw the book across the room.

But.... I kept going because I wanted to know what the outcome would be. He was also seeing a
Noelle
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, re-reads
I was lucky enough to win and receive this book through GoodReads FirstReads Giveaway Program. Thank you!

This was the first book I read by this author and I loved it. The twists in this book were exciting and unexpected. There were a couple of things I never saw coming and when I thought I had it all figured out, there was another twist! Such an amazing suspense book. Great ending too- once again, I was shocked.
“You should be more paranoid than you are. Your typical suburban mom worries all the time, but she worries about the wrong things. Because she doesn't worry about me.”
I loved how this book started out. It was dark and frightening. An anonymous sociopath narrates in the beginning, warning the reader of his or her existence. I even did a little happy dance. I love the dark stuff...in moderation of course.

Every Fifteen Minutes ended up not being that dark in actuality, which is OK. I mean, it's a myste
Christine
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Eric Parrish, Chief of the Psychiatric Unit at Havemeyer Hospital in Philadelphia, is enjoying the fruits of his labor at work. His hospital has even earned an award for its performance, which many credit him for.

His personal life, however, is at an all-time low. His wife Caitlyn has left him, and she is doing sneaky things with regard to his visitation with their daughter Hannah. Eric realizes that she has a new boyfriend, and this probably explains a lot about her new attitude.
Bob Mayer
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book, great read and well worth the time and money. But, the hardest part of reaching the point where no one reins in your imagination is knowing when you reached the end twenty pages before you stop typing.

Sometimes an author goes one step too far when they get to the end. And when the author is a bestseller, it's often hard for an editor to tell them to stop-- enough is enough.

As an author, I've experienced the desire to keep adding another twist, another turn. A rule I've learned is:
Alaina
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
For me it took way too long to get into it. There was not much suspense. It was mainly building up the story like a prolog. I did finish the book and it did have a really good ending. The last 200 pages were suspenseful but most of the book was just boring.

I received this book free through GoodReads First Reads.
L.A. Starks
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is easy to see why this book has been on the bestseller list so long. Scottoline has written a dynamite mystery with a sympathetic protagonist, lots of believably suspicious characters, and ongoing suspense over the identity of the sociopath.

Every Fifteen Minutes is so engrossing readers will be flipping the (literal or e-book) pages past midnight in their race to the end.
Deanna
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

I was really looking forward to this book! I have read quite a few of Lisa Scottoline's books and am usually quite entertained and usually I'm almost instantly engrossed. I found it harder to get into this one for some reason. I think it may have been a bit too wordy at the beginning? There was a lot of back story, staff meeting info, medical info and more. However, it did pick up speed quickly about a third of the way in.

I liked the characters but I really felt that Dr. Parrish was almost a bi
Julie
Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline is a 2015 St. Martin's Press publication.

While I have read enough of this author’s work to know better, I trusted her and fell right into every trap, followed every red herring and wound up totally gobsmacked!!

When the puzzle pieces began to click into place, the hair stood up on the back of my neck and I literally felt a chill run down my back. I know that sounds cliché’ but seriously, my body and mind went into shock.
What makes this
Connie
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-cd, 2015
Coming soon.

I had not read a Scottoline in some time, and this was a pretty good, fast paced, edge of your seat page turner. I found myself "guessing" who was the bad guy, but Scottoline's ability to throw the reader a bone, then muddle it up with some more bones was well done. I kept changing my mind. At one point I even questioned the "heroes" sanity....wondering if he was the bad guy.

This is what a psychological thriller is all about. Takes place in a sh
Betsy Myers
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a Goodreads First Read.

This book was amazing! It was easy to follow from the start and literally kept me guessing until almost the last chapter. The red herrings were rampant throughout the book and did their job well. Once the doubt was cast, it was hard not to skip ahead to the end!
Incorrigible_bibliophile
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
I know that this is on the National bestselling list right now and I realize that I'm undoubtedly in the minority here but I did not like this book. Not even a little. I realized this about 100 pages in when the story hadn't gone anywhere. All that had really happened was a bunch of passive aggressive legal dickering between Eric, the main character and Caitlin, his horrible ex-wife.

This was my book club's pick of the month so I forced myself to finish. The ending was an unexpected t
Stefanie
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5
I really wanted to like this book, and I did like but not as much as I thought I would given the blurb. This has happened to me with the vast majority of Scottoline novels I have read. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I go into the book thinking I'm really going to enjoy it and it falls flat for me. Let me go back...
Every Fifteen Minutes tells the story of Dr. Eric Parish, Chief of Psychiatry at HGH who also has a private practice that he runs out of his home. The f
Petra
I had high expectations for this book as it was well publicized, and I just love thrillers about psychologists/psychiatrists and the whole therapy or hospital setting, but "Every 15 Minutes" was truly disappointing.
For starters, it was simply too long (e.g. exhaustive discussion about medication) and repetitive (surely, everybody understands the confidentiality issue within the psychiatry setting after a couple of mentions). The audio book was over 13 hrs. and could have easily been cut down to
Mysteryfan
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Melinda Weprin
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it was fast paced and kept you eager to read more as quick as you could. I was guessing every step of the way who the "bad" person was. What was interesting for me was the amount of detail and research that went into the hospital environment in the story. Talking about the procedures and knowing how to describe them in a way that wasn't teacher-y. If you enjoy mysteries then this is definitely a book to put on your to-read list
Reading Group Gold: Every Fifteen Minutes Lisa Scottoline Discussion Questions 10 22 Jun 10, 2016 12:22PM
Play Book Tag: Every Fifteen Minutes/Scottoline - 4 stars 2 34 Mar 27, 2016 05:29AM
Play Book Tag: Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline 3 stars 2 17 Mar 09, 2016 04:13PM
How do you get giveaways?????? 6 50 Jan 02, 2016 02:50PM
Laurie and Sam.. 11 99 Dec 31, 2015 05:33PM
Dr. Eric Parrish 3 60 May 21, 2015 11:42AM

• Protocol Zero (Joe Rush, #2)
  • The Silence That Speaks (Forensic Instincts, #4)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)
  • Crash and Burn (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #1)
  • Cypress Point
  • Safe with Me
  • Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride, #7)
  • Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)
  • What Happened in Granite Creek
  • Accidents of Marriage
  • Stolen
  • Final Target (Graham Gage #1)
  • Never Die Alone (New Orleans, #8)
  • Mercy
  • Those Girls
  • Hush Little Baby
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Widow's Tale
Lisa Scottoline is The New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 30 novels, including her #1 bestselling, AFTER ANNA. She also writes a weekly column with her daughter Francesca Serritella for the Philadelphia Inquirer titled “Chick Wit” which is a witty and fun take on life from a woman’s perspective. These stories, along with many other never-before-published stories, h ...more
“I’ve read that one out of twenty-four people is a sociopath, and if you ask me, the other twenty-three of you should be worried.” 1041 likes
“I'm a sociopath. I look normal, but I'm not. I'm smarter, better, and freer, because I'm not bound by rules, law, emotion or regard for you.” 1036 likes