Start by marking “The Nightingale” as Want to Read:
The Nightingale

The Nightingale

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  559,154 ratings  ·  55,608 reviews
In love we find out who we want to be. In war we find out who we are.

France, 1939
In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn’t believe that the Nazis will invade France...but invade they do, in droves of marching soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill the ski
Published February 3rd 2015 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Nightingale, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michelle Currie I didn't even question how or why they got to Oregon because the book is about two sisters and how each of them took different ways to survive the…moreI didn't even question how or why they got to Oregon because the book is about two sisters and how each of them took different ways to survive the horrors of war. We can guess and guess but I didn't care how they ended up there. I cared that they were strong, value driven, brave women and we need to have more characters like them come alive to inspire us. (less)

·  559,154 ratings  ·  55,608 reviews

Start your review of The Nightingale
Emily May
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Isabelle. Paris is overrun. The Nazis control the city. What is an eighteen-year-old girl to do about all of that?”

What, indeed.

I really didn't know what to expect going into The Nightingale. Given the quote about love and war in the blurb, I kind of thought it might be an historical romance set during the Second World War - like the world really needs another The Bronze Horseman - but it turned out to be so much more than that.

There are love stories in The Nightingale, but that's no
Violet wells
It was the comparisons to All the Light We Cannot See that attracted me to The Nightingale. Though both novels are set during WW2 the similarities for me stopped there. All the Light is a magical novel electric with beautiful resounding prose and refined artistry; The Nightingale is a novel motored essentially by cliché and exaggeration.

Clichéd writing isn’t just resorting continually to stock phrases (though Hannah does this a lot); it’s also straining for tension through exaggeration to the p
Lori
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
With tears still running down my cheeks I'm writing this review. I've started this review several times and I don't think I'll be able to adequately put into words the power in which this novel has moved me. Truely a remarkable story that I, literally, beg everyone who loves historical fiction to read. I will be gushing about this novel for some time to come.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I've been told by so many people that I need to read this book. It gets so much hype that I thought there was absolutely NO way it would live up to it. But it did more than that. It surpassed it.
My favourite books is a pretty exclusive list and it usually takes me a while to decide whether a book fits that list or not but this was an instant favourite. I absolutely adored it. Even just thinking about it now I am fighting back tears because this was such a beautiful and vivid story. I felt like
Read Cute (◕ ˬ ◕✿)
I really tried, you guys. There was even a 20% period when my standards were reduced so low from the previous 70%, that I thought maybe, maybe 2*. But the last 10% was offensive. Yes, I said offensive.

Review later. And by review, I mean bitch rant fest.

---------

People keep asking me how I didn’t like this book. Honestly, I want to ask them how they did.

Never have I ever read a book by such a clueless, air-headed author.

And I actually don’t even me
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
So many 4 & 5 star reviews here, but I'm afraid I just thought this WWII historical novel was okay. There are so many novels about this time period and I didn't think this one rose above the heap. The last one to do that for me was Kate Atkinson's Life After Life and this just can't even compare to that or to David Gillham's City of Women.

There's some nice detail about the home front in France, which I have read less about than the English home front. And there are some exciting scenes featur
Aestas Book Blog
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ::: 5 STARS!! :::

HOLY WOW!!! This book was absolutely epic! A sweeping, breathtaking journey that captivated me from the first page with the strength and beauty of the writing. Truly an unforgettable story!

The Nightingale has a 4.8/5 rating average on Amazon (which is HUGE!!) and what that basically means is that practically everyone who is reading it is loving it. And I'm now adding my own 5 STAR rating to that list because this book owned my heart. The ending was so powerful that I reastory!
The
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm not sure what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said, but the quality and sheer excellence to this story blew my mind. I'm not typically a fan of historical fiction, which is likely why I've avoided it for so long, but once this was described to me as "historical fiction light" I felt it was safe to take a gamble on it. When we decided for this to be the Suspenseful Clues and Thrilling Reviews September book choice, I was nervous because WHAT IF I HATED THIS BELOVED BOOK?!

C
Teodora
4.5/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

I don’t know what is wrong with me, but I really have a predilection when I read historical fiction: The Second World War.

Even in school, I always thought that this was the most interesting part of the whole history we were taught (maybe because our history teacher was a bit obsessed with that period too, who knows).

I want to start talking about this book – The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.

I thought I was going to love this so much as I did with other WWII-plot-based books, but after about 250 p⭐
Full
MomToKippy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ww2
For me this was a fusion of sub-literary chick lit and WWII fiction in that it was too cliche and melodramatic much of the time. I thought the female perspective of occupied France and the tales of the resistance as well as the opposing sisters' perspectives were generally good ideas but the whole thing lacked in the execution.

The tone of the book doesn't feel authentic to the time period and there are numerous unbelievable incidents and interactions. The historical facts are covered
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
We all know I shouldn't have even tried to read this.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

1.5 stars. Oh, the IRONY. You might have never heard of it, but in 1981 French author Régine Deforges released a book called La bicyclette bleue, 1939-1942 (part of a trilogy), which related the story of two sisters** during WWII in France. Léa, the outspoken, rebel and reckless one, who joins the Resistance after fleeing from the invasion of Paris and Françoise, the older, who has to live under the same roof of a SS during the Occupation. RING A BELL?

This novel, many times bestseller in France, borrowed A LOT from Gone wi
Irina
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm crying 😭💔 I read a lot of amazing books this year but this one broke me. This novel was everything that I wanted in a historical fiction.
I don't know how to express what I feel right now. This book is a must read for everyone.
Mandy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to start this review. I am typing it through teary eyes, so I will keep it simple. (Insert tissues here)

My pick for Vianne when this becomes a movie is Naomi Watts or Kate Winslet and for Isabella is Julianne Hough or Amanda Seyfried. Let's see if Hollywood takes my suggestion!

This WW2 novel was so beautifully written. This war was a time of bitter hatred and in this story Kristin Hannah brings to life love, survival, bitterness, strength, and pers
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Matthew
4.5 to 5 stars - This is a very complete book. I hope that makes sense when I say it. I was satisfied with the entire experience.

Emotional and at times nerve-wracking. Love and hope mixed with fear and suffering. Hard choices that are unavoidable, easy choices that come with great risk. This book is a historical fiction roller coaster ride.

Even if you are not into historical fiction or WWII, I think this is worth checking out. Also, I would highly recommend it to those wh
Angela M
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I almost didn't read this book and it would have been my loss if I didn't, because I would have missed out on knowing Isabel and Vianne , and the story of their indescribable bravery and volition to save lives in their roles in the French Resistance during WWII. Oh I know this is a work of fiction and these two women are characters in a novel . But I also know as history tells us there were real men and women risking their lives doing the very same things Isabel and Vianne did . A recent article
Heather
This book wrecked me. Let me say that again, It WRECKED me. I have never cried so hard while reading a book. It was beyond amazing, beyond moving and it’s a story I will never forget.
🇫🇷 📖
I’m sure you’ve heard of this book. It’s been hyped ever since it came out & will amazing reason. I’ve stayed away from it because of the hype & because I’m not the biggest fan of historical fiction but I was so glad to be proved wrong on both accounts.
📖
🌌
This is a book that
Nat
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
“My nightingale, I got you home.”

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

I honestly didn't expect to like The Nightingale as much as I did.
The premise of the book intrigued me (I've been really into historical fiction lately).
This story follows two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, during World War II and their hardships trying to survive.
My heart broke for each sister as I read their stories full of loss and pain. And I loved t
Nea
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: romance and chicklit lovers
Kristin Hannah is a pro in the chick-lit genre, and I applaud her efforts to break into historical fiction with The Nightingale. Unfortunately, I cannot say that I loved the result.

When I read historical fiction in a war setting, I expect a certain rawness that just wasn't delivered here. Yes, she included historically accurate descriptions of carnage, but the tone was destroyed with a barrage of trite elements.

The two main characters happen to be beautiful, irresistible, young sisters with da
Nick
Mar 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
A 4.56 rating with almost 500,000 ratings, what is this sorcery?
jessica
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
its quite silly how i almost always go into a historical fiction book thinking, “why am i reading this? history is sooo boring.”

but then i read books like this. books that remind me there are beautiful, heartbreaking, and important stories that make me a better person for reading them.

and its difficult to write a review about story set during such a dark period in time, but this book truly is a must read for everyone. trust me. this is the kind of story that will stay with you long
Warda
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crying in the library.

This book is an ode to women.
Women.
Our spirits.

“He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.”

We all know suffering and have experienced different degrees of it. But, I don’t think there’s any suffering that compares to the suffering of war.
And this is not to downplay other painful and, possibly, equally horrendous experiences. But as I’m looking into this book as a read
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah may be my favorite novel of 2015... and yes, I realize it's only February. It's just that good.

The setting is World War II, Nazi-occupied France. The story follows two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, and how they each respond in times of great challenge. Their parallel stories are as different as their personalities, but are just as suspenseful, complicated, and emotional. Although The Nightingale is considered fiction, it is firmly planted in well-researched truth. Isabelle's character is
Petrik
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII & Historical fiction fans
Recommended to Petrik by: Lema
Shelves: owned-ebooks
A moving, strong and inspiring tale of survival, love, and female heroism during World War II.

Memoir and historical fictions are genres that I rarely visit. However, ever since last year after I finished reading the inspiring memoir by Yeonmi Park, I decided to at least read one book that revolves around war or its kind to remind myself to always be grateful. For that, The Nightingale is my pick of the year, and it ended up being one I will remember.

“If I have learned anything
/>
Melanie

“Some stories don’t have happy endings. Even love stories. Maybe especially love stories.”

I know what a beloved book this is in the community. Recently, I did a blog post about the highest rated books on my TBR and The Nightingale was number one with a 4.55 average star rating, with 414,290 Ratings and 44,440 Reviews. Like, those are some powerful stats. But basically, after writing up that post, I knew that I had to read this beloved book and find out my thoughts on it.

This is a heartbreaking, historical fiction,
Maxwell
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it, 2017
I feel like I went on the journey with these characters, that I lived these years with them. It's a story I won't soon forget and definitely one that I hope to revisit in the future. An absolutely stunning book that I can't recommend highly enough. 5 stars
Debra
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
In love we find out who we want to be.
In war we find out who we are.

It's Paris 1939 and the Germans occupy parts of France. It is a brutal time. A horrible time. A sad time. A time of loss. It is also a time when ordinary people are capable of doing extraordinary things.

Yes, what can be done? Many books on war focus on the part that men p
Melissa
“In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.”

This is a story that will stay with me for a long time to come. I think most people would agree, the best kind of books are those that evoke strong emotions and make you feel. Among my favorites are books that made me think about life, fall in love or ripped me to pieces and left me in tears. THE NIGHTINGALE managed to do all of those things.

I’ve always had a fascination with World War II stories and with anything taking p
Dana Ilie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah is a spectacular piece of historical fiction. Not only does she explore an often-ignored aspect of World War II, she does so by using characters that are deeply flawed but for whom readers soon become highly empathetic. Her careful attention to detail along with a gorgeous turn of phrase creates a gut-wrenching story that haunts readers long after the last sentence. In other words, this is exactly what a historical novel should do.
While both sisters were i

• All the Light We Cannot See
  • Where the Crawdads Sing
  • Before We Were Yours
  • The Help
  • Lilac Girls (Lilac Girls, #1)
  • The Tattooist of Auschwitz (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #1)
  • Sarah's Key
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
  • A Man Called Ove
Kristin Hannah is the award-winning and bestselling author of more than 20 novels including the international blockbuster, The Nightingale, which was named Goodreads Best Historical fiction novel for 2015 and won the coveted People's Choice award for best fiction in the same year. Additionally, it was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon, iTunes, Buzzfeed, the Wall Street Journal, Paste, and Th ...more
“If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: in love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.” 1025 likes
“Men tell stories. Women get on with it. For us it was a shadow war. There were no parades for us when it was over, no medals or mentions in history books. We did what we had to during the war, and when it was over, we picked up the pieces and started our lives over.” 466 likes