Start by marking “If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly” as Want to Read:
If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly

If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly

If You Can is a short, inexpensive e-booklet aimed at getting twenty-somethings with their first 401(k) started on the path to retirement saving and investing.
Published March 28th 2014 by Efficient Frontier Publications

To ask other readers questions about If You Can, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Can

Start your review of If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly
Thijs Niks
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super short, which makes it a great start if you have never read up on investing before. And I like that he ends each chapter with a reading assignment.

Great combination with JL Collins' stock series (Google that).
Melissa
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's indeed a quick read (though he, reasonably, advises you to read twice), and the author conveys warmth, pragmatism, and even figures without seeming patronizing or pedantic. He also recommends other books to supplement each brief chapter for when/if you are inclined and able, but you really can get started without consulting these as well.
SWAROOP CHOUGULE
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very short and quick read, though William (the Author) recommends to read it twice. He explains why investing for better future is similar to being fit, one just has to follow simple rules but it's not easy to keep up with those rules. He also clarifies the most common hurdles in order to reach one's goals. I like that he ends each chapter with a reading assignment, which is basically a recommendation for other books to supplement one's understanding of each brief chapter.
Justin Griffin
Jun 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
There is serious misinformation in this book. It does a great job summarizing key principles to financial success for the average person who does not have a plan.

The problem is hurdle 5 claims the financial services industry wants to make you poor and stupid. The author states by the time you read the first four hurdles (12 pages of info) you will know more about finance than the average financial advisor or stockbroker. This is the most ludicrous statement I have ever read.

It also STATES (as
Maria
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This little pamphlet is a must-read for everyone, not just young people who are starting out in their first job or people who are just starting to save money. It gives the basics in readable, easy-to-understand language. Bernstein isn't trying to sell a magic formula or hype a risky investment product. Saving money is boring and takes time and patience and a willingness to be a contrarian. But it's not hard to do or difficult to understand. Bernstein gets it, and he knows how to explain it well.
Rosa Sealy
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
A straight to the point guide if you already know about investment terms. If you are completely novice this isn't for you. There are quite a few contradictions: such as his love for Vanguard - yet his disdain for mutual funds and his recommendation for putting 25% of your income in your 401K - which most likely in a mutual fund and not an index fund. There's a lot of "what if" scenarios that go unanswered because this book lacks depth and explanations.
Dennis Sell
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not the first time I’ve read this or the last. Now time for some of the suggested readings mentioned in the booklet.

In addition to the useful content, the author comes across as a great guy
Antariksa Akhmadi
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really short read on how and how not to invest which takes just about one hour to finish (although it comes with a caveat). The writer outlined five hurdles of investing that every young person should avoid. Reading this booklet kind of feels special to me since the advice starts on what to do with investments at 25 years old, which is my current age. He he.

I like most of the bits of advice and warnings Bernstein offered, such as that humans are not particularly good at investments because the
Darin Shreves
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick 16-page .pdf book packed with info and further reading. An interesting read that added some new-to-me explanations and perspectives about the investing fundamentals.
Barry
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little introduction to investing by one of my favorite financial writers — along with Jack Bogle. Not everyone is going to have the interest to get through his “Four Pillars of Investing” or “The Intelligent Asset Allocator,” so this gives the basics that everyone needs to know, as well as what to avoid. I think I’m going to have each of my kids read this.
Kaleb Rogers
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
Having just finished the dramatic 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad," I have also been perusing reddit for some more grounded personal financial advice. The subreddit r/financialindependence suggested this quick read to get one on the right track. I found this book to be very straightforward and earnest. The tone of the book feels as if Bernstein actually wishes the best to the reader, and his disdain for those that work in the financial industry is a definite plus. I'm glad I took the hour to read it and wil ...more
Eva
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short one. Good one. Read it.

After you do, here's the reading list, from the book:
(view spoiler)
Mike Shi
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Already knew most of the basic principles, still a good quick read to refresh and confirm.
Ryan
Step 3: Invest
Step 4: Read more books haha
Bassel Khaled
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Very good short read with solid recommendations consistent with the advice I read in “a random walk down wall street”. Here are some ideas I got from the book:

Five bad things—hurdles, if you will—must be overcome if you are to succeed and retire successfully:

Hurdle number one: People spend too much money.....(so what you need to do is minimize your living expenses as much as possible)

Hurdle number two: You’ll need an adequate understanding of what finance is all about. (Jack bogle’s commen sense
Ingrid
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-2020

Didn't realize how short of a book this was. Took about 40 minutes to get through while taking notes. None of this information is new to someone who's read a basic investment book before, but its bite-sized review of asset allocation, the importance of investing and saving early, and the do's and don'ts of navigating a misinformed financial world are helpful nonetheless.

All in all, this was an okay book. Deservedly 4 stars for its intended audience and for summarizing in 16 pages what other book
Almir
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok

This book is very short, but it’s related to investing in stocks. If you are interested to learn more about investing, than this book is for you.

This book is only introduction to investing in stock, and author is talking about five (5) hurdles that everyone need to overcome to become an investor.

This book, like I’ve mentioned, It’s just an introduction to investing and things that we need to overcome to start investing. This book is more for those who is a
dara schlegel
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great basic info if you plan to work most of your life

Well written, good introduction and good recommendations for other books and where and what to invest in if you plan to invest only 15% for the next 40 years of working ( slavery). Will you learn more from mr money moustache if you intend to work for 10 to 20 years and invest in similar investments along with real estate but with far more aggressive % of money to enjoy your financial freedom in your 30s and 40s instead of your 70s. Both sides
Alyssa W
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
A short and sweet primer to saving for retirement. There's not much to say about this e-book. I read it in an hour, and I thought that it was great. It doesn't go into a lot of detail about investing, but honestly... it doesn't need to. It's not that hard to save for retirement... just like how it's not that hard to lose weight. You just have to get off your butt and do it. The frank voice and tough love in this book gave me that little kick to start getting my finances in better shape. I also a ...more
Brady Salz
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: if-you-can
I loathe all self-help books because they drag out a two page essay into a two hundred page book that's really only applicable for a certain subset of people. And for some reason, the author(s) feel a need to be condescending the entire time.

This one avoids all of that. Short (~15 pages), to the point, with clear references and guidelines. Despite being a financial guide, the biggest take-away is "trust no one in finance". You shouldn't read things that just confirm your priors, but this one fe
Jherez Taylor
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Packs a punch

I recommend this book to any individual looking to secure their future and invest in themselves. This book is just a brief guide that points to more detailed books in the form of reading assignments. It's purpose is to arm you with the knowledge that will allow you to cut out the noise and stick to a simple investment strategy. Investing doesn't have to be difficult but you have to be willing to learn, once you understand this you will never be fleeced by any snake oil salesmen (exc
Dylan
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Clear short booklet that helps reaffirm lessons I have been learning from other beginner investing sources. 3.5

hurtle 1: be better with your budget / save more
hurtle 2: get a working knowledge of the theory and practice of finance
hurtle 3: learn basic financial history re: market turbulence
hurtle 4: know thyself / the psychology of investing
hurtle 5: brokers and advisors do not have a regulated fiduciary duty / beware [...although this one seems questionable, or maybe like it could be hit or mi
Jay Vallender
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A concise read. Although US resident orientated can be applied to Australians given vanguard and a200 are offered here. A few cross overs with barefoot and the common sense of mutual funds (Bogle) or common sense of investing little book.
Does not cover retirement spending, taxes and equivalent spouse aspects.
In one line it is having a saving habit and using savings to invest long term in low cost broad market index fund/domestic/International and bonds.
Duvon D Thomas
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Book to Gift

I gave four stars because it's a good read through that keeps concepts simple and offers advice, mainly via other books, on investing for the future. I believe this book is an awesome asset for those who are looking to help the younger generation with financial advice. It also helps you get a refresher on where you should be in your financial planning.

Overall a solid read.
Ashley Reads
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Meh. I liked it. Just liked it. It's a very short book that makes a few "out there" claims about money. Some of his suggestions don't make a lot of sense, but some really do. It wasn't the best book I've ever read about how to handle finances, but it also wasn't the worst. Read it and take all the information with a grain of salt. One of the good things he does is make other book recommendations within his writing. I suggest reading those books as well.
Benjamin Alvarez
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly is a book that teaches you how to retire successfully. It teaches you the steps to be financial independent and feel financially secure. With these basic teachings you can achieve massive success that will pour money into your pocket, if followed properly. For a brief and inexpensive book you can surely learn a lot about investing and making a successful 401(k) plan.
Jeremy
Short book on investing principles. Easy to read in one sitting. Not overly jargon filled and that is a positive. Good primer for college kids & new entrants to the workforce. Offers basic gentle guidance on retirement planning as well as an overview on how retirement has changed in the last 40 years from employer provided pension plans to employee self-directed mutual fund programs. ...more
Diego Petrucci
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actually "read" (read in quotes because it's like ten pages) this a few months ago but I forgot to add it.

It's exactly what the description says: a phamplet with a few sections on how manage your money, particularly aimed to younger people. It suggests you to read a few books (usually recommenation per section), which I am doing. So far the books are pretty good.
Pranjali Deshpande
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Fantastic ! This book might seem small but the author prescribes a pretty well curated reading list for each part of this book and then urges you to come back and read the next session. I finished the book in a single sitting but I am definitely going over the reading list and will come back to this one !
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk
  • The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide To Personal Finance And Investing
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Your Money and Your Brain
  • The Great Depression: A Diary
  • All about Asset Allocation
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Millennial Money: How Young Investors Can Build a Fortune
  • The White Coat Investor's Financial Boot Camp: A 12-Step High-Yield Guide to Bring Your Finances Up to Speed
  • Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School
  • How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street: Golden Rules Any Investor Can Learn
  • A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing
  • Taxes Made Simple: Income Taxes Explained in 100 Pages or Less
  • Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need: Expanded and Updated Throughout
William J. Bernstein is an American financial theorist and neurologist. His research is in the field of modern portfolio theory and he has published books for individual investors who wish to manage their own equity portfolios. He lives in Portland, Oregon.

News & Interviews

“Would you believe me if I told you that there’s an investment strategy that a seven-year-old could understand, will take you fifteen minutes of work per year, outperform 90 percent of finance professionals in the long run, and make you a millionaire over time?   Well, it is true, and here it is: Start by saving 15 percent of your salary at age 25 into a 401(k) plan, an IRA, or a taxable account (or all three). Put equal amounts of that 15 percent into just three different mutual funds:   A U.S. total stock market index fund An international total stock market index fund A U.S. total bond market index fund.   Over time, the three funds will grow at different rates, so once per year you’ll adjust their amounts so that they’re again equal. (That’s the fifteen minutes per year, assuming you’ve enrolled in an automatic savings plan.)   That’s it; if you can follow this simple recipe throughout your working career, you will almost certainly beat out most professional investors. More importantly, you’ll likely accumulate enough savings to retire comfortably.” 5 likes
“the best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.” 0 likes