Jump to ratings and reviews

Growing Roots #3

Great Strides

Willie has finally found her father, and he's welcomed her with open arms. Now she must forge a relationship with the man she never even knew was alive. It isn't just him, however, Willie must also find out how she fits in with her step-mother and half-siblings. Left in Alabama with no close-in-age peers, Willie makes great strides in finding out who she is as an individual without a group of close friends to rely on.

Alabama offers many firsts for Willie. The most notable in her own mind is her first relationship. There are other firsts in store, however, and a whole new cast of characters to get to know. How will Willie handle this newest experience? Will she handle it in the mature the way she has always handled change? Or will this be the point in which Willie loses herself?

“Genetics are a tricky business at times, and you just never know what you're going to get when you throw two ancestry’s together.”
-Willie's Mamaw

134 pages, Kindle Edition

First published April 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Chelsea Falin

44 books298 followers
Chelsea Falin is the self published author of 21 current titles, including five contemporary fiction novels. She is, as always, working on her newest title.

Chelsea was born and raised in the small town of Dade City, located in west-central Florida. Currently, she resides in southern New Jersey.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews
Profile Image for Michelle .
466 reviews115 followers
May 2, 2014
One year ago an Author asked me to read her books. They were short novellas the story centered on a young girl named Willie and her finding out about her heritage as a Native American. Chelsea Falin was actually my first blog tour on my blog so when she asked if anyone was interested in reading the 3rd book in the series how could I say no. This is a story that has so much heart and some really amazing characters that after a year I still think about them. I was so very excited to be able to read Great Strides the 3rd book in the Growing Roots series.

Oh Willie how I missed you, this book starts right were the last book left off with Willie going to spend some time with her father. She had finally been reacquainted with and was sad that she was leaving her family and friends but looking forward to spending the time with her father. The book is told in mostly Willies POV but it jumps around a little to each characters, I loved reading in other characters POV, I did get confused once in a while who was talking but it didn’t take to long to figure out who it was. I think the story being told like this give you a great idea of what everyone has been doing since last we saw them and also gave us an inside about her father and how he was feeling about his relationship with Willie. We are introduced to a few new characters and as much as I missed the old gang and the hanging out. I enjoyed the new characters and how much they bring to the story. It was nice to see what Jack, Spike and Dakota was doing and how things in their new apartment were, you can tell Spike still loves Willie. You get to catch up with Willie’s BFF Deanna and a couple of new babies are born :)

The story gives you a great inside look at Native American life then and now. Plus I was starving while I was reading this book. I wanted country fried steak, corn bread and sweet tea. Once again Willie grows a little more in this book and since book 1 she has made some amazing chance and I love watching her “grow up”. She goes through a lot of first in this book and I loved seeing her reaction to them all. I actually am quite fond of Nash but in my opinion I like Spike.

Great Strides is just as heartwarming and wonderful as the first two books. Watching Willie grown up is something I am looking forward too and I can’t wait to see were Chelsea takes the characters next and I am looking forward to seeing how life chances for Willie when she gets home

I gave Great Strides by Chelsea Falin 4/5 stars this is such a great series with so much heart and soul. This series lets you into the life of a strong Native American family that is filled with love, friendship, growth and pride.

- See more at: http://www.becausereading.com/review-...
Profile Image for Sharon Obelenus Holland.
442 reviews2 followers
April 6, 2014
Willie goes to stay at her father's for the summer and meets her brother, 2 sisters, her memaw, aunts, uncles and cousins. She finds out her looks come from her memaw, but a lot of her personality comes from her dad. She also meets the next door neighbor, Nash. He becomes her first boyfriend. The family takes a vacation together and strengthens their bond.

We also follow Jack and Spike as they go off to the tech school. Trying to find jobs, so they can pay for everything and still have money left to follow their dreams of opening a shop. But Spike runs into trouble, and Jack and his family have to come rescue him.

This series is just amazing, one that you cant put down and when the book ends, you are left craving the next in the series!!!
Profile Image for Veronica Bates.
121 reviews1 follower
July 26, 2016
You know how you read a book...and you get sucked in...and you hit the last page without realizing it? When it feels like you just fell off a cliff? Yeah that is how this book is.

I have now finished the 3rd installment of this series. It only gets better.

A real coming of age story. Chelsea has an amazing gift for bringing her young characters to life.

They are real. No spectacular events but real things that happen to real people.

I love Willie. And I fell in love with strong, quiet Nash.

I am not sitting on my hands. Trying not to throttle Chelsea for the book cliff.

If you are thinking about reading this book. Think no more. Pick it up and devour it. You won't regret it.

Thanks.
Profile Image for Anna-marie.
367 reviews15 followers
April 18, 2014
I love this series, & feel like I have grown up with Willie.
This continues the story. She has met her father & is going with him to his home & meet her half siblings & Step Mum.
This experience really makes her gown up even more & come to realise the person she wants to be.
She also embarks on her first relationship with Nash, a kind young man, who treats her well.
She also finds out a bit more of her Heritage & family history.
We also find out how the boys are doing, since they moved away for college.
This series gets better with every book and I cant wait for #4
Profile Image for Kris Dickinson.
332 reviews7 followers
April 28, 2014
The storyline in this 3rd novel was as good as the first 2. The characters were thought out and likable. It will be nice to see how they all wind up when the last book comes out. I only had one issue, though. The POV changed every once in awhile and while it wasnt distracting to the story itself, it was confusing to me. You never knew who was doing the talking until a paragraph or 2 into it. Aside from that, I liked it.
471 reviews3 followers
May 7, 2014

This book starts off with Willie going to stay with her dad for the summer. I really loved the story and thought it was pretty cool to see the perspectives of a couple of the other characters in the story too. This was a really great follow up to the last book and ends kind of with a cliff hanger. I can't wait to read more of Willie's story.
Profile Image for Chrissie Parker.
Author 10 books14 followers
May 6, 2014
I read the first two books in this series and really liked them. The character of Willie is really likeable and I have loved travelling on her journey as she learns all about her family history and meets new relatives. The Native American heritage was strong in this book too, and it's what makes the books so special. I am really hoping that this series continues, there is so much more I want to read about Willie, her family and her heritage. I really recommend it.
Profile Image for Michelle Nageldinger.
398 reviews1 follower
April 11, 2014
This series got much better as you read them, I really struggled through the first book but after that they were nice reads and I really enjoyed the overall story line.
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.