Start by marking “Daemons Are Forever (Secret Histories, #2)” as Want to Read:
Daemons Are Forever (Secret Histories, #2)

Daemons Are Forever

(Secret Histories #2)

The name's Drood. Eddie Drood. Of the great and powerful Droods - the clan that's been watching mankind's back since we all first dropped out of trees - the group of hard-fighting, devilishly handsome arse kickers who take on the monsters of the world so you lot can go about your happy lives.

During World War II, the Droods made a pact with some nasty buggers from another d
Published June 3rd 2008 by Roc Hardcover (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Daemons Are Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daemons Are Forever

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was brilliant. I believe that's not an overstatement. This second book in the Secret Histories series illustrates that you either like Simon R. Green or you don't. His sense of humor might turn off some readers, and some of the prose can have a repetitive aspect. I think he likes to repeat things for emphasis. I had to look this up. It's called analepsis: repetition of a word or phrase for emphasis. Yeah, Green loves analepsis. As for me, everything I love about him is showcased in this nov ...more
Faye
Read: July 2017

I've tried to read this book four times. I even threw away my hard copy the third time I gave up, but when I saw it on offer on amazon kindle for 99p I bought it again for one last try! Simon R. Green has written two of my favourite urban fantasy series - the Nightside and Ghost Finders series - but I don't think the Secret Histories books are really for me. There were no characters that I really liked and the plot dragged. Usually Simon R. Green novels are fast paced and exciting
Mizuki
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an urban fantasy series about a powerful clan of magical secret agents who fight demons and save the world, I think Secret History series is most likely among one of the best in the genre. The plots are complicated, the characters are vividly written and funny, the sense of humor is great. What is not to love?
Mike (the Paladin)
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I was torn between 3 and 4 stars on this book. Three would have been dropping it below the rating I gave the first volume in this series. In the end however I believe this is a 4 star book if with a few things I find to be slight flaws.

For one thing the books (seems to me) to take forever to get passed it's rehash of the first volume and set up of "where we are now".

I remembered a passage from P.G.Wodehouse in one of his books while setting up the story. There is he says, always the problem of
Ben Babcock
In one sentence: my review of [[book:The Man With the Golden Torc|155459] stands double. In fact, I'm beginning to feel almost as repetitive as Simon R. Green, just by reiterating this! However, there are things I missed in my previous, somewhat-hastily-written review, so I shall address those now.

Firstly, Green has too many characters and doesn't know what to do with them. I wonder if he just can't control his urge to explore every cool concept that wanders across that fantastic imagination of
Joshua
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wishes there were more Lovecraft in their James Bond stories
Book 2 in Simon R. Green's Shamus Bond series

I must admit that I'm a sucker for the titles of these books. I've loved James Bond as a kid and it's nice to have an urban-fantasy series with a James Bond type character, although I don't know why no one had thought of this sooner.

Continuing on from The Man with the Golden Torc , Daemons Are Forever picks up the pieces of the aftermath with the Drood family. Things finally seem to be going well for Eddie. He's in love, in charge of the greatest
Elizabeth
May 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
I must admit to getting bored with this book and quitting in the middle. It's not something I normally do but the library wanted it back today and I wasn't fascinated enough for a marathon reading session.

The first book in this series, The Man with the Golden Torc, was very fast-paced and full of suspense--a lot like the James Bond series Green is supposed to be riffing.

Unfortunately Daemons Are Forever doesn't live up to its predecessor. The action (or lack thereof) is extremely plodding and m
Shayan Kh
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.8 stars.

Not that it was really better than the last one, just it was more familiar, and the story is a bit more mature.
There were too many parts of this book that disappointed me.
(view spoiler)
Goetz
Jul 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a film this would be a Chuck Norris vehicle... I am on page 148 and I am giving up on this book and author. It is just too many cardboard characters spouting platitudes, too much unmotivated violence, too many easy gadgets, too little internal consistency, too many repetition of backstory bits without elaboration. It feels like Green tried to copy the Laundry Series by Charles Stross, but lacks the skills. I had not read the first in this series by Green, but I doubt it would make me feel dif ...more
Chris
Pretty good continuation of this paranormal suspense series loosely (very loosely) based on James Bond: Eddie Drood is Bond, the Armourer is Q, Penny is Moneypenny, the Matriarch is M, and the books' titles are hauntingly not-quite-familiar.
Terri Weitze
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simon R. Green excels at creating a magical world populated with interesting and believable characters. This series follows a member of an ancient and powerful family whose purpose is to protect humankind. It is well written, although I feel a little heavy on the descriptions and the character inter-relationships are fun as a world-destroying crisis has to be dealt with along with personal and family politics. While part of a series, this book can be read as a stand alone as there is enough expo ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf, paranormal, magic
The Drood family is humanity's protector. And in this outing, we got to see a lot of the workings of the Drood family as they worked together on a major threat. Sorry for all the spoiler warnings, but I don't want to ruin it for you.

What I enjoyed:
* The family is endlessly interesting and different. It was nice to get to know a bunch of them this time around.
* Eddie and Molly are a blast and a great couple.
* The helpers that were brought in were intriguing.
* You know there is plenty of more turm
Patricia Burroughs
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like British settings, urban fantasy, strong female characters
This is definitely one of those cases where the fact that I listened to the audiobook may come into play. It amuses me that the guy who recced this series to me when I said I prefer British settings admitted that he stopped reading the series in the middle of this--only the second--book. He felt the writing was dry and didn't keep him involved.

There is so much action and conflict and competent characterization in this book that it's hard for me to imagine that. Does the reader make that much dif
Shandare
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
I always enjoy Simon R Green’s work and the Drood series. But I find this instalment to be one of the weaker offerings. Green a,ways creates a wide narrative canvas, with many elements in his world, but the plot in the case is somewhat higgledy-piggledy.
It’s like standing in a room with bizarre settings and madcap romps exploding like fireworks all 360 degrees. Where do you look? Where do you focus?

The other off-putting aspect of Daemons are Forever is the characterisation. There are shifts bet
Alexander Draganov
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The second book in "The Secret Histories" series by Simon R. Green is no less exciting than the first and this, believe me, is no small feat. The plot as always is incredibly epic - I would not describe it in detail, as I don't want to spoil the fun in any reader, but I'd say that it includes inredibly powerful alien gods, which would make Cthulhu to whimper. Eddie Drood, who is now leading his all-powerful family, has to stop them, despite the firce internal opposition and to do this, he gets t ...more
Richard
May 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Simon R. Green is really the Dan Brown of the urban fantasy genre. On one level, his plots are quick-moving and exciting. His character ideas can even be pretty good.

Unfortunately, the characters are conveyed mostly via explicit description. We know someone is dangerous, because the author tells us so. Character change works the same; one character even narrated that he'd learned the meaning of family. This felt hollow, and like the really good bits of a story were cut out.

But, the world of the
Eric Smith
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I would say this was a 4.5. It was just a funny and smart and weird and an intense ride as the first one but the villains while very creative and fascinating weren't quite the best. There were a couple of other things involving pacing and a couple of questionable decisions early on that just didn't feel that natural for me but I think they set up some interesting situations both in this book and in possible future books to be worth it. There were some nice nods to various science fiction propert ...more
Kati
I love the characters so much! Eddie and Molly, Harry and Roger, Callen, the Armorer and even the Matriarch! I really love them and I can't wait to read more about their adventures, I plan to read the whole series ASAP! So, why only two stars?

This book was just way, way too long. And not just the book in general but most of the scenes too so some of the jokes simply fell flat. The book would've been so much better if Green had cut out a good third of it. It felt like the plot was dragging on and
Dan
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading "there was blood on the air". The author usually works it into his novels, and it reminds me of the Hawk and Fisher series that got me reading again when I was younger. A fun read.
Pop Bop
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Put A Little Green in Your Life

So, even if you're a Simon Green fan it's a good idea to disclose your Green likes and dislikes upfront. In the Green canon I greatly admire and enjoy anything "Nightside". I think the "Ghost Finders" series is annoying and sort of childish. I'm O.K. with Ishmael Jones even though all of the books in that series are, essentially, the same book. There, now you can take my review with those few grains of salt.

I think of these "Secret Histories" books as sort of "Nigh
Kathy Davie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, urban
Second in the Secret Histories urban fantasy series revolving around the über-powerful Drood family and Eddie Drood in particular.

I'd've given it a "3", but, really, there is just such a lot of thought and energy gone into this, that I just didn't have the heart.

My Take
Oh, yeah, I loved the army and the other snoops sitting outside Eddie's front door in the middle of London. And then when he took 'em out...LMAO. Eddie hugs a missile to his chest to absorb the impact then jumps up to the helicopt
Alex
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uninteresting, unrealistic things slowly happen to unlikable characters.

And if you happen to be enduring the audiobook version, the narrator's slow pace compounds the painfully slow pace of the book.

If the high concept of this book series sounds interesting to you, read the Nightside series - same author, MUCH better written.
Cst
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This doesn’t work. The story is too separated from the world and the characters can’t cope with the vacuum. Instead the plot drags on and on and in the end stumbles to a finish that is the best feature. Because it means the bad thing has ended.
The next book needs to be better (it is) to keep me reading.
Joyce
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Great work book. Okay story. Will continue on to the next one.
Stan
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The book starts slow and then builds Steam slowly as the book progresses.
Richard
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
Not bad, still the same indestructible hero, new enemies :)
Sam
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not as good as the first, but I think I'm hooked.
Jason Caldwell
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This installment wasn't bad but definitely was not as good as Casino Royale was. Still an entertaining read though.
Scott
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I think i have found my new go to series when i need a laugh. I finished this one in a couple of days but it was still and enigmatic novel that kept me going until the end.

It still carries the irrelevancy from the first novel and builds as the series goes. I am now on the third one and am enjoying it
Matthew Mallio
Interesting brain candy, but not enough t get me into the series.
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • New Tricks (Dog Days, #2)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3)
  • Mean Streets
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • MythOS (Webmage, #4)
  • Stalking The Unicorn (John Justin Mallory Mystery, #1)
  • Spectre (Zoe Martinique #2)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Secret Histories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Man With the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1)
  • The Spy Who Haunted Me (Secret Histories, #3)
  • From Hell with Love (Secret Histories, #4)
  • For Heaven's Eyes Only (Secret Histories, #5)
  • Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories, #6)
  • Casino Infernale (Secret Histories, #7)
  • Property of a Lady Faire (Secret Histories #8)
  • From a Drood to a Kill (Secret Histories, #9)
  • Dr. DOA (Secret Histories, #10)
  • Moonbreaker (Secret Histories, #11)
“Who's got my Jaffa Cakes? You know I can't function without Jaffa Cakes.” 11 likes
“While the cat’s away, you may find the rats getting damned uppity.” 7 likes