Start by marking “Solstice Island” as Want to Read:
Solstice Island

Solstice Island

Can an ancient leviathan work magic between a practical man and an idealistic woman?

Rylie Carswell is an amateur cryptozoologist in search of a mythical creature, the Sea Goliath. In order to reach Solstice Island, a location the ancient leviathan is rumored to haunt, she’s forced to hire charter boat captain, Daniel Decatur.

Initially, Daniel wants
Published April 5th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Solstice Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solstice Island

Start your review of Solstice Island
Dianne
Raise your hand if you know what cryptozoology is or what a cryptid hunter is? Hint: think Lochness Monster, the Sea Goliath or some other leviathan. I admit, I had NO idea until I read Mae Clair’s Solstice Island! Mae Clair has used her magic imagination to create a romantic tale of adventure, mythology, and tales from the sea, and molded it into a wonderful, warm read that captures the imagination while giving a good tug on your heart strings. Get ready for a seafaring adventure that only those who l ...more
Loni Flowers
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Like the other novels by Mae Clair, she has the amazing ability to create a story with such detail and realism, that for those few hours, I'm believing every word as if it’s the spoken truth. Solstice Island is no different. Ms. Clair flawlessly draws on your imagination to create one heck of an adventure, infusing the story with mythology, tales of scary sea creatures and a fiery romance to boot. I love how I also seem to learn a little about mythology as well as enjoy the unique spin she puts ...more
Emma Meade
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I want to be a cryptozoologist. It would definitely beat the day job. Solstice Island is the perfect summer's day beach read. It's light, fast-paced and romantic with a healthy dollop of mythology. The vivid descriptions of the cavern beneath the island put me right there beside Rylie and Daniel on their adventure. A charming read.
Debbie Peterson
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mae Clair combines her love of mythical creatures and the sea to bring us a toe-curling romance between a hunky Charter Boat Captain and a spunky cryptozoologist—each harboring secrets of their own. This gripping adventure kept me turning the pages from its very beginning, to its most satisfying epilogue. Well done, Mae Clair, well done!
Zelda
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this novella Mae Clair captures all the elements for a wonderful quick read. A mystical sea monster, a girl chasing her dreams, and tormented hero all come together to create a page turning adventure.
Donna Weaver
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WHAT IT'S ABOUT

Initially, Daniel wants nothing to do with the trip or the fool woman waving double payment in his face. Convinced she’s yet ano
Carmen
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written and plotted. The author has an amazing way with words. I was hooked from the first page by both the storyline and Mae Clair’s fantastic writer's voice. The author grabs hold of her reader’s emotions at the story’s beginning and she doesn’t let go until the last page. Solstice Island will enchant aficionados of romance with a twist of mystery and intrigue as it combines adventure and warm-heating romance. This novella is a perfect read for young adult and adult as well. A fast ...more
Venice Kennedy
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Engaging Novella, tasty beach read!

Solstice Island is so much yummy bang for a buck! You get an intriguing story line and two characters you’ll be rooting for right out of the gate. The beginning is so intense and feels just like a movie, you ease back a little as the story unfolds, but you know at some point you’re gonna be sitting on the edge of your seat gripping the arm rests. The side characters, the town, and the mystery all come to life in Mae Clair’s skillful hands.
Jessi
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How can you resist a blurb that hints at family secrets, two people with opposing goals, and an obscure area of scientific study? Before reading Solstice Island, I didn’t know what cryptozoology was. Now, thanks to the seamless way Mae weaves her research into her plot and descriptions, I’m so fascinated I spent way too long on Google Images looking at blurry pictures of animals that may or may not exist.

Solstice Island is a superbly written novella that balances romance and mystery
Erin Fanning
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
With a deft touch for romantic suspense, author Mae Clair has added a third element--fantasy--to this breezy, fun novella. The result is a genre mashup that works on many levels--multiple plot-lines, intriguing characters, and an introduction to cryptozoology, the study of mythic animals. Ms. Clair demonstrates her writing skills by blending all these elements together with ease, and I look forward to reading more of her work!
D.S. Nelson
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mae Clair has a lovely turn of phrase that sets the scene for the reader, perfectly. Romance isn't normally my thing but the cryptozoology aspect piqued my interest. Things happen very quickly for Daniel and Ryley and perhaps because this is a novella, the story runs along at a fast pace which requires the reader to suspend their disbelief, not just on the subject of mythical beasts. That said, this is a well written, easy read that's just good fun.
Christina Thompson
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m a fan of Mae Clair’s Weathering Rock and Twelfth Sun so buying her novella, Solstice Island, was a no-brainer. I was not disappointed. I loved the mythical aspect of the Sea Goliath as well as the heated romance with her intriguing characters. Her descriptions allowed me to smell, taste, and feel the ocean’s salty breeze. I thoroughly enjoyed this fast-paced adventure. 5-Stars!
Lorraine Paton
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With instant chemistry between the hero and heroine, a hint of a mystery and a crypto-creature, I was hooked from the first page. This novella had great pacing, a vivid setting, and well-developed characters. I enjoyed it and recommend it if you are looking for a fun adventurous romance!

Solstice Island was a perfect summer vacation / beach read! 5 stars!
Pamela Moran
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found myself pulled into this world and caring about these two characters and what they went through. I'm hoping Mae Clair goes back to this world because although their story was satisfyingly wrapped up, I have lots of questions about the Island itself. Extremely intrigued!
Donna Cummings
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great adventure from Mae Clair! It was romantic and suspenseful and exciting -- I think I held my breath as I raced through this book. I really hope there will be more stories about Rylie and Daniel while they search for other mystical creatures. One story just isn't enough!
Jacquie
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure what to expect with this story, being unfamiliar with the term cryptozoologist, but having previously read Myth and Magic by Mae Clair, I knew it would be action-packed, and she didn’t let me down.

From the opening scene, Clair builds the suspense with descriptive passages and strong characterization.

My heart nearly stopped at some of the tense points of the story (I don’t want to give anything away, but wow!)

The conflict between H/H Daniel and Ry
Christy Olesen
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My only problem with this novella is that it's a novella, I wanted it to be longer. I'm certainly looking forward to reading more of Mae Clair's crypto hunters. The characters are relatable, believable and I wanted to read more of them.
Sam
Mar 04, 2015
Kristen
Aug 30, 2015
Mae Clair
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Patricia Young
Vera C
Jul 25, 2015
Donna Barney
Jan 02, 2016
A member of the Mystery Writers of America and International Thriller Writers, Mae Clair is also a founding member and contributor to the award-winning writing blog, Story Empire. She has achieved bestseller status on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble, with several of her novels chosen as book club selections.

Mae writes primarily in the mystery/suspense genre, flavoring her plots with elements o