Start by marking “Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)” as Want to Read:
Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)

Vacant

(Mindspace Investigations #4)

Nothing ruins a romantic evening like a brawl with lowlifes—especially when one of them later turns up dead and my date, Detective Isabella Cherabino, is the #1 suspect. My history with the Atlanta PD on both sides of the law makes me an unreliable witness, so while Cherabino is suspended, I’m paying my bills by taking an FBI gig.

I’ve been hired to play telepathic bodygu
Published December 2nd 2014 by Roc (first published December 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Vacant, please sign up.
Ian The latest blog on the author's website suggests Q4 of this year (2018). So let's hope.... https://ahugheswriter.com/update/

Start your review of Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
On about our fav telepath and the world of the future.
Q:
“Don’t borrow trouble. Enjoy what you have now.” (c)
Q:
Sometimes a man needs to make his own way. (c)
Q:
"...The longer things pile up, the harder it’s going to be to get them sorted again.”
I recognized the thought patterns of a workaholic... (c)
Q:
The Guild told you to get lots of sleep and eat well. The Guild told you to scout out your surroundings and plan ahead, and know reality. At worst, they told you to build a steady sense of reality in
OpenBookSociety.com
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: heidi

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

Adam’s mind injury has finally healed! But when a night out with Cherabino turns bad, she is accused of police brutality and Adam’s boss at the police station doesn’t want to see him either, thinking that Adam is a bad influence on Cherabino.

Adam has been plagued with a vision of a child dying because of his inability to save him. So when the FBI calls for him to work on that very boy’s case, he can’t say no. This is his
Amyiw
OK, I want to give this a 4 star but I just can't because of few things. There are places that it drags like it is just trying to work in some angst, whether over his misteps in the investigation, his addiction, or his relationship with Cherebino.

I loved the start of this as now it is Cherebino in the hot seat for something she didn't do. The premise doesn't hold up to scrutiny though because what kind of cop doesn't report an attack and leaves the scene? Still, it is interesting and obviously a
Chris
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, scifi, done, from-library
Unfortunately, I screwed up and read this before book #3, so I spent much of the book thinking my memory had gotten REALLY bad when things that turned out to have happened in book #3 were mentioned...
J
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
As much as I'm enjoying the series, the one thing that has been bothering me for a while now is the fact that no one ever mentions why addiction can't be "fixed", in a future where telepaths do everything from security to medicine. I understand that the main character's addiction is a driving theme/motivation, from page 1 of the prequel novella, but the main character's telepath training, "Structure/Deconstruction", is explained as people that know how to use telepathy to fix/change problems/is ...more
keikii Eats Books
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
96 points/100 (5/5 stars!)

When Adam and Cherabino are on a date, they end up in a fight where the other participant later ends up dead. Now, Cherabino is the number one suspect - and her job is on the line because of it. Since Adam will only hurt her case, he takes a job in Savannah with the FBI to protect a little boy - a little boy he has previously seen in a vision.

I really liked the book. If you've read The Dresden Files, Vacant was Mindspace Investigations' Changes. This was the book where
Kathy Davie
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Fourth in the Mindspace Investigations psychic investigator series and revolving around Adam Ward, drug addict and police interrogator, taking a side trip to Savannah.

My Take
Talk about love! Poor Adam is enduring a concert because Isabella is so eager to attend it. It's worth it, though, when Adam discovers a whole new Mindspace.

In this story, it's Isabella's and Adam's high sense of responsibility that sets up her downfall.

I do get annoyed with Adam; he's such a whiner! How can he not know what
Jonathan Lin
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four stars. Sustained tension until the very end when the main character makes bad decisions. That's the gist of the series. Read about the main character making bad decisions that don't make sense. This last book is the best of the series. I don't know why I kept reading, perhaps schadenfreude to see how badly the main character can screw up.

The next book will probably explain why the main character chose to keep his bad decisions to himself, etc.
Kevin
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise is there, I just wish the main character didn't spend so much time worrying about his "girlfriend". We get it, you're worried for her and wish you could help but situations arise and you can't. Just move on and deal with your situation smarter. If the whole book was like the last 2 chapters or so, it would have kept my attention longer.
Ubiquitousbastard
This honestly felt like a filler book to me. The main plot was just flat and uninteresting to me, while the overarching plot was exactly filler between the previous book and the next. The "romance" was tired and nothing new, especially for this series. If only that part of the books could just go away, I think I would be happier. I'm glad that there was less Cherabino in this book, but she was still there and beyond annoying.

Also, too much exposition, still telling me all about the world in ways
Cory Rose
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great read

4th book in the series picks up shortly after the previous one. Focuses almost exclusively on Adam working a job out of town. Very little of any of the other characters I've grown accustomed to and was looking forward to seeing again. Still excellent and entertaining moves the story along nicely character and plot wise. Nice to be 4 books in and continue to see the characters grow and change and learn. No one suddenly becoming stupid or drastically changing personality. I think
John Chichester
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! It is so well written and the characters are so real! Alex Hughes writes with such tension. She has this ability to keep you on edge throughout the books. This is the fourth book that I've read in this series and the suspense has kept right on through. I haven't read an author that could do that since reading the Gunslinger Series by Stephen King. What's amazing about these books is that the post-apocalyptic world that she has created is a throw back to a world before cell ph ...more
Molly Smith
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initial Thoughts: Wow! I just love this series! Adam is just an engaging character, the tarnished hero. I like his character and continued development in this series. Cherabino is also just an interesting and even she is evolving. In this novel, the story was gripping and compelling. What Adam risks was heartbreaking and I look forward to what happens next. It is astonishing how the plot continues to thicken in the overall story arc. As the series progresses the Big Bad is further revealed, and ...more
Jacqueline
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All 4 books in MINDSPACE INVESTIGATIONS are solidly turned mysteries with well rounded characters, and plots strongly driven by intimate relationships.

These novels are what I have termed Intimate Adventure, the hidden genre.

Telepath/detective stories were among my first introduction to the Science Fiction field, and I've never seen it handled better than Alex Hughes has done here.

If you haven't picked up this series yet, do start with the first book as th
Tamer Sadek
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great fun but then I'm a sucker for books done in the first person.
Tracy
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, z-2015
Megan
The quality of this book was worse than the previous books in the series, a first time for inconsistency. This book feels almost like it was written first, as a warm up, before a lot of the details for the series was flushed out. For example, the main character (who I still can't associate with his name) says over and over, "I want my drug." but really only names the drug once, like "my drug" is a placeholder while Hughes waits to figure out what that drug will be.

The series as a whole suffers f
Ian
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vacant is the fourth (and hopefully counting, according to the author's website we might get number 5 this year) of the Mindspace Investigations series. The books feel like urban fantasy but are actually science fiction. It has an ex-addict telepath consulting on criminal activities in a dystopian post-apocalyptic future. The apocalypse being essentially digital rather than nuclear in nature, so nobody has computers beyond a pocket calculator.
Suffice to say our hero is deeply troubled, is obsess
Sgt Maj
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining Reads

Dresden Fan, or was, haven’t read him in years. This entry of the series is actually the weakest. I’m not sure why the author put Tech as a major subplot throughout series. IMO, despite a few plot wrinkles that author puts in because of it, stories would carry more weight without the major event of fifty some years past .

A big draw of these stories, to me and within this genre, is simply a credible ‘magic’ system. Dresden was great for the first 3-4 stories but then went a litt
RavenT
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm still interested in this series as of the end of this fourth book because of the quality of plots and world building, but I don't care much for the angsty relationship between Adam and the cop he works with, Isabella Cherabino. Their UST/romance becomes official in this book.

The violent tendencies of this woman are understandable, but not likeable--she has a habit of punching Adam when he makes her angry, and I don't like that at all. If it was a guy punching out a woman in a relationship,
Marlene
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

Alex Hughes’ Mindspace Investigations is a series that absolutely requires starting at the very beginning. (This seems to be my week for that.) If the idea of an urban fantasy series that reads like a marvelously twisted cross between Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files and J.D. Robb’s In Death series, you’ve come to the right place.

Just start clean with the first book in the series, Clean. The following titles in the series are Sharp and Marked. It is SO worth it,
Angela
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the whole I liked the series. The main character is flawed and very human in spite of being a telepath. Things were starting to get a bit bogged down and I wish things could have ended with things being less stressful in Adam's life. It was interesting how things ended and while I would have liked to read more (can't find the next two in between novella's as of yet) this could have been turned into a too long series and I'm glad it didn't.
Alicia Utter
Rating: 6.5/10
Pages: 347

This is the second in this series that I have picked up. And I enjoyed the parts about the Guild and learning more about it. Some of this world seems very domineering, rigid rules. And a lot of vacillating about it. So, not being a normal reader, it felt a little of a drag to a good mystery.

Whether a Mindspace follower or a casual reader, it is an enjoyable read and meets your requirements for this type of mystery.

Kindle
Dena
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
audio 3.5* The story itself was very interesting but the writing was so depressing! Everyone was miserable, they all were rude and/or disliked each other and the MC is incredibly negative. I was ready to dnf if I had to hear how much he wanted Satin one more time. Glad I made it through the series.
Javier M. R.
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: noir
Well, when someone say that a book is better than other one is kind of abstract and the statement is so confusing. I would say that the third book in this series "Marked" was more "entertaining" than this one, because it showed traces of innovation on the plot, and the guild thing was pretty amazing and well thought. I am not saying that this book was repetitive, it was good, but the protagonist keep struggling with the same couple of villains , over and over again, and the cause is so shallow l ...more
Giriniss
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as the other books, too whiny and too much coincidences for my liking, too much unnecessary milking of rigged charges I have read similar situation in countless books before and they are not entertaining bring no purpose or depth to the book.
Nathan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Best of the series, Ward not being abused as much in this one...
Dana
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do like this series. Adam and Cherabino's relationship is a strange on and off again thing though. I've already started the novella 4.5.
Tom Riley
Jun 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wow, nothing happened in this book that could have not been handled in 20 pages.
Catherine
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous

This series keeps getting richer and more layered. Off to order the next installment! MI books are definitely going on my preorder list.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: Vacant by Alex Hughes 1 8 Apr 02, 2015 07:06PM
Mindspace chat (with SPOILERS) for Vacant by Alex Hughes 25 23 Dec 07, 2014 11:38AM

• Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Tombyards & Butterflies (Montague & Strong Case Files #1)
  • Lost Soul (Harbinger P.I., #1)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Buried Memory  (Harbinger P.I. #2)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Bullets & Blades (Montague & Strong Case Files #7)
  • Legend Has It (Pax Arcana, #5)
  • Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
Alex Hughes was born in Savannah, GA and moved to the south Atlanta area when she was eight years old. Shortly thereafter, her grandfather handed her a copy of Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonrider series, and a lifelong obsession with scifi was born.

Alex is a graduate of the prestigious Odyssey Writing Workshop and a Semi-Finalist in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards. Her short pieces are publishe

Mindspace Investigations (4 books)
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • Marked (Mindspace Investigations, #3)