Start by marking “Crystal Magic (Clearwater Witches, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crystal Magic (Clearwater Witches, #1)

Crystal Magic

(Clearwater Witches #1)

Nothing is safe around Kristyl Barnette. Windows break. Books rocket across the room. Lights flicker. Strange occurrences follow the sixteen-year-old everywhere.

When tragedy forces her to move to the small town of Clearwater, Michigan, with her estranged aunt Jodi, Kristyl tries to leave her past behind. But Clearwater has secrets of its own—a mystical history that inters
Published March 30th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Crystal Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crystal Magic

Ben Alderson
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I say this book is amazing I am not joking!
I was in a slump and didn't want to read a physical book. I was randomly searching for a book to read on my ibooks and this one came up as free to download!

OK this book is most properly better then The Secret Circle series. I am so shocked that I admitted that because i love TSC but this book is everything i WISHED that would happen in TSC series!
It had magic, romance, friendship, time travel, murder. so many awesome things that really work in a
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
If you enjoy being able to predict every plot, character and word before it happens because the book consists of every YA trope you can think of (*ticking off fingers* love triangle, 'the chosen one', new town, dead parents, mysterious boy, mean girl, school dance *runs out of fingers*) then this is the book for you! Me, I'll pass.
Victoria Kennedy
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on My Books Are Me

4.5 Stars

I love witch stories, despite not having read enough of them, so as soon as I read the synopsis of Crystal Magic, I knew it was going to be amazing, and it was!

Weird things seem to happen around Krissa, and she seems to be the cause of these disturbances. This leads her being an outcast and the target for constant bullying. However, Krissa is given a fresh start when she moves in with her aunt in Clearwater after the untimely death of her mother
April Wood
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The cover of CRYSTAL MAGIC caught my eye and made me eager to crack into this book. Upon checking out the rest of the CLEARWATER WITCHES series, I noticed they all have beautiful covers. Kudos to the cover designer! I just love pretty books!

But did the inside deliver on its promise?

YES. Fortunately, this book didn’t disappoint. CRYSTAL MAGIC is an intriguing urban fantasy tale about witches. I was wrapped up in a magical, fictional world of witchcraft, crystals, psychics, and the paranormal. The
Courtney
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one day, it was easy but exciting read. I loved the time travel twist and how it changed the dynamic of the main characters life. I am excited to find out where this adventure is going, as well as hoping to find out about the characters history or rather who does she get her magical powers from and where is her father are just some of the questions that the second book answers!
Carol Moore
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Crystal Magic” is an interesting, well-plotted book. Since it’s also the first book in a series, it doesn’t come to anything like a satisfying conclusion, instead it ends with a huge cliff-hanger.

Kristyl Barnette lives with her mom, her dad took off long ago. Kristyl has scary powers. When she gets upset, weird things happen, so the other kids call her a freak and pick on her. Since she has a reputation as a trouble-maker, she’s often in trouble in school. As she waits in the office for her mo
Peter Huebner
Jun 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Angsty: Kristyl Barnette, our protagonist in Madeline Freeman's Crystal Magic, makes Woody Allen on a bad hair day look debonair, relaxed, assertive and cool. I don't think I have ever in my days as student, tutor, counselor or teacher seen a teenager so obsessively angsty. Oh, and obsessive. About clothes, about breaking things, about the school dance, about more clothes ...

... all along she knows she is the poltergeist in her life, and denies it, and obsesses over it ... I don't want to put sp
»jαу
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

I haven't read a real book in months because I've been in such a slump and school has taken over my life - but this book was such a surprise for me! I absolutely loved it, plus it definitely got me out of my slump because all I want to do now is read now. I really liked how the magic in the story was Wiccan magic, focusing on nature and energy more so than abracadabra magic. I used to be really enthralled with learning about Wicca and Paganism, so this was totally right up my alley. AL
Erika
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Original review posted at Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

This novel stars Kristyl Barnette, a seemingly troublesome girl who is accused again and again of vandalism and of knowing things she shouldn't. But the truth is that things always unexpectedly happen around her, and she always knows things without wanting to. A tragedy forces her to move in with her aunt, Jodi, starting a new life in the small town of Clearwater. But little does she know what she's wandered into, and the secrets th
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Andrew Ferrell
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well Gentle Readers, this was a delightful little adventure in the life of sixteen year old Kristyl Barnette, social outcast. That is, until her mother’s untimely death has her moving to the small town of Clearwater with an aunt she hasn’t seen in years. Now she gets a fresh start where no one knows her or all about the “mishaps” at her previous school.

Sadly, her first day starts off with her crossing paths with the “raging bitch” of the school, Crystal Jamison. Fearing things are just going to
Andrea Heltsley
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
This was a fun book. I enjoyed getting to know the characters. The author weaves a mystery through the story, shedding light on questions as the plot unravels. New characters are introduced at a great pace, and I liked learning about them all. This was a good read and I'm looking forward to reading the next book, Wild Magic. This book gets four glittery stars!
Amanda
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I feel pretty indifferent about this book. It was predictable in my opinion. There are more books and though I would like to know what happens next, I'm not sure if I'd actually take the time to keep reading this series
E.J. Hill
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I’m going to skip right to the end… What just happened? Like how could Freeman just leave us hanging like that?!?
Deep breath.
Okay, let’s try this again. This book was a fun, pretty chill read. The main character was sweet and kind and definitely level-headed. Even when the “mean girl and her posse,” tempted Kristyl with magic, she didn’t dive in head first. One of my favorites, though, was Jodi. She was awesome!
Moving on, the writing was okay. It was nice, but didn’t wow me. Also, the story wa
Jaideep Khanduja
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Krissa is the protagonist having a bundle of superpowers that make this thrilling story more interesting. Though she is an ordinary girl there is something that differentiates from the others. And that difference helps her to explore various prepositions of her life.
Sadhika
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is an Ok Ok (aka average book)
Can help to kill time
Tyerra Chambers
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book

I really liked the book in the beginning, I don't know but it got less appealing toward the end. When jodi got sick I thought they would try to figure more about who did it or the old circle would do something to fix it, I don't know I wouldn't think she would go to crystal for help with no grantee the stone would even help jodi. I don't know that's my personal opinion. I feel like things could have happened differently for the better.
Vanessa Kay
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: madeline-freeman
When I decided to read this story, I didn’t have any expectations at all. I’ve been too caught up with romance that if I don’t sway my attention away from it, I’ll erupt lol. I didn’t noticed that this book was in series, but I already had an idea that there’s some magic involve because of the title. I’ve read some few science fiction and supernatural-themed books before but I’m still adjusting to this kind of genre. I even expected that I can’t finish it, and wooollah! I just did!

The first thin
Potato
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trash
*2.5

This book literally had every trope you can think of. The plot was SO PREDICTABLE and I just didn't care about any of the characters. None of the side characters had ANY distinguishable personalities and they were all forgettable. The magic in this book was unexplained and I just needed more. This book ended on a "cliff hanger" but I am not intrigued enough to put in time or effort into reading the next book.

(UPDATE: Amazon tells me this is a six book series. Ha, no thanks! )
Samantha
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged, reviewed
*Received ARC for Honest Review*

Characterization
The characters in Crystal Magic are very lovable. Kristyl (Krissa) is really genuine and I found myself wanting to reach through the pages to hug her at times and others I wanted to high-five her for just being awesome. She’s genuinely curious and resilient. She’s had a lot to adjust to, as we find out at the beginning of the book, but that’s only the beginning for her. I enjoyed following her through her journey and finding out how she adapted to
Anniek
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kristyl always felt like a stranger in the town where she lives. People avoid her and she doesn't have any friends. Because of this she doesn't actually have a social life. Her father walked out on Kristyl and her mother years ago and she hasn't spoken to him since. When her mother suddenly dies Kristyl's aunt takes her in because she has nowhere else to go.

Kristyl's whole world changes instantly. On her first day at school she makes new friends and after school she is helping her aunt at her st
Julian
Dec 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: witches, magic
I sure do hope L. J. Smith gets paid by Madeline Freeman, cause thats an obvious rip off of Smith's "The secret Circle"
I do have to admit it has been a while since i've read The secret circle and I might mix it up with the TV show but here you go as for "comparisons":
Spoilers ahead..but i dont really feel like hiding them, since I am actually spoiling a different book:
BUT YOUVE BEEN WARNED (and I feel bad for people looking forward to reading a book, so I will hide them afterall)
(view spoiler)
Nay Denise
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tours
**I received this book from the author in exchange of an honest review.**

Crystal Magic was a very great read. Better than I assumed it would be. This is a young adult paranormal novel about witches. This follows Kristyl as she moves in with her aunt Jodi after a tragic misfortune. She believes moving in with her aunt Jodi to Clearwater will allow her to have a fresh start, but mysterious things begin to happen and she soon finds out that she among others in the town are witches.

At first Kristyl'
Marilyn
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second reading (1st time print, 2nd time audio). I liked it just as much the second time as the first time, so my 4 star rating holds.

Let me be upfront with the worst part of this book: there is not much new here. The author utilizes some VERY familiar tropes, so some might not like this book for that reason.

That said, I think Ms. Freeman did an excellent job with the tropes she used. She has said this one of the books that she has been working on for a long time. All us aspiring auth
Emma
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I liked the introduction of magic and how we got to know the characters as the main character did. I did sometimes feel that there was two separate stories going on. I did like that the town had magical history I just wish we got to read more of it.

I loved Owen, I really wanted him to be real and wished there was more of him. I didn't like how there was no sight of him in the last few chapters, I do hope things work out well for him in the end.

If there was more magic and how
April
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first in a series and truly makes you want to keep reading. The main character, Kristyl, has lived her life the last 5 years as an outcast and freak. When she finds herself with a new beginning what will she do with it? She has powers that she does not understand and cannot control, anyone who knows about her powers had casted her in the past. Will she embrace her new life or just throw it away? Can she change what she has always been, can she change what is supposed to be? As life t ...more
Isabelle Grey
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book isn't glaringly bad, but at 40 percent or so through the thing, I had to give up. Why?

Because while the writing has some minor errors (tense jumping) there's nothing seriously wrong with it. The only issue I had with it was that it was about as subtle as a wrecking ball.

Literally every point at the plot is staring you in the face the entire time and worse-the novel reads as though it's trying to be subtle about it all.

With how obvious everything is, there's just no intrigue and I have
J.S.
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Witches. Magic. Dash of romance. Loved the sound of this...and loved that it didn't disappoint :)

This was a well written and enjoyable read which, for much the way through, misled me into thinking I knew exactly what to expect from it. Turns out, though, the story's predictability was a tricksy play on my smug assumptions. Yep, it takes a sharp turn. And yet, though certainly unexpected, the turn is executed brilliantly.

The characters and steady pacing pulled me along nicely even when I was exp
Gerri Venechuk
May 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Happily ever after...

I found the characters and plot in Crystal Magic riveting right up to the very end...oh, wait, there was no end, happy or otherwise. If you want to find out what happened you must buy another book. Which I won't. I detest calling something a series when it in actuality you have only chopped off the last chapter(s) too sell another book. A good series is when you love the characters and want to spend more time with them on a new adventure.
Patricia White
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I started this book and really tried to get into it. I really did. But I couldn't. I had to stop reading it. It wasn't doing anything for me. I liked the aunt. She was cool. I felt sorry for Krystal about losing her mother. I liked the new friends she met. But overall it just reminded of the TV show where a girl's mother died and she moved in with her grandmother to this small town up north. And these group of kids were all witches. Just couldn't get into it.
  • Never Forgotten (Never Forgotten, #1)
  • The Witching on the Wall (Witchy Women of Coven Grove #1)
  • Another Man Will
  • Bound by Duty (Bound, #1)
  • Of Stardust
  • Immortal (Immortal, #1)
  • Midnight Moonrising  (Moonrising, #1)
  • Dragonfly (Dragonfly, #1)
  • Breathless (King, #2)
  • Greensmith Girls (Lainswich Witches, #1)
  • The Baine Chronicles Series, Books 1-3: Burned by Magic, Bound by Magic, Hunted by Magic
  • Fallon (Angels of the Knights, #1)
  • Stiltskin
  • Lacey's Story (Skinniness is Next to Goddessness?, #1)
  • The Book of Obeah
  • Crown of Ashes (Celestra Forever After #4)
  • Eternal (Eternal, #1)
  • To Rome, with Love

Clearwater Witches (6 books)
  • Wild Magic (Clearwater Witches, #2)
  • Circle Magic (Clearwater Witches, #3)
  • Moon Magic (Clearwater Witches, #4)
  • Cursed Magic (Clearwater Witches, #5)
  • Dark Magic (Clearwater Witches #6)
“nice of him to offer.” I nod. “He says it’s no big deal because the shop’s on his way home.” Jodi’s mouth twitches at this, but she says nothing. I finish my breakfast and we head” 1 likes
“That’s why Bridget and I were messing with you that day in history. You know, the wind in your hair, the pencil falling off the desk. I figured if we could get you frustrated enough, something might happen.” She rubs at the back of her neck. “I didn’t expect the whole shaking building thing.” “So” 0 likes