Start by marking “The Secrets of Darcy and Elizabeth: A Pride and Prejudice Variation” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Darcy and Elizabeth: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

Read Excerpt

The Secrets of Darcy and Elizabeth: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

In this Pride and Prejudice variation, a despondent Darcy travels to Paris in the hopes of forgetting the disastrous proposal at Hunsford. Paris is teeming with English visitors during a brief moment of peace in the Napoleonic Wars, but Darcy’s spirits don’t lift until he attends a ball and unexpectedly encounters…Elizabeth Bennet! Darcy seizes the opportunity to correct m ...more
Published March 28th 2014 by Victoria Kincaid

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Darcy and Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Darcy and Elizabeth

Sheila Majczan
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
11-29-18: I am listening to this book now on Audible read by Stevie Zimmerman as I walk 1/2 hour daily. I do love how her voice changes with each character and in such a smooth manner. 12-8-18: I just finished listening to this story again on Audible - loved it all over again.

7-15-14: This book was loaned to me by a friend. I found it to be a page-turner which kept me up later than I would have desired. It never fails to amaze me that author after author finds a new way of presenting a twist or
Mary
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this book other than to urge you to read and savour it. I loved this book- the angst at the beginning when Darcy had been rejected, his wish to try to forget her, his disbelief when he sees her again in Paris and his joy when he realises that she is giving him a second chance to get to know her better. I loved the scenes in Paris- they were beautifully written, full of angst - with the appearance of a potential rival and how Lizzy realises that she has perhaps always loved D ...more
Sophie
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well this book was a lot of fun! This was another very far fetched variation, but I have found those are the ones I enjoy the most, and it was the same with this story. It was a very fast paced, adventure filled story and I really rather enjoyed it! I wish there was an option for half stars as I want to rate this 4.5!

We join the story at a familiar place, when Elizabeth runs into Darcy, accidentally, many months after she has read that ever so important letter - the only difference is that this
Leslie
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing P&P Variation beginning a few weeks after the disastrous proposal at Hunsford. Darcy is in a funk and his cousin suggests a trip to France to help him forget Miss Bennet. The plan falls apart when Darcy sees Elizabeth at a ball and they resume their relationship.

This is well written and believable but loaded with drama. I look forward to the next book from this author
Gail Frisby
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book

Loved it like it when Darcy and lizz y call in love , and Lydia and Wickham do not marry.
Jenny
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, jaff, jaff-2018
I'm not sure about this book... for me it was a book of two halves - I enjoyed the first half immensely, not very keen on the second half with the exception of but the end...

Darcy finds himself convinced to go to Paris with the Colonel to escape the heartbreak of his awful proposal. Elizabeth is in Paris with the Gardiner's. The two meet and Darcy is determined, with some encouragement from the colonel, not to waste this second chance. However, war breaks out and Darcy comes to Elizabeth's aid t
Don Jacobson
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Tyrant Forces the Issue

The brief respite in the continental cataclysm brought about by the Treaty of Amiens allowed Napoleon to sell Louisiana to the United States (bringing a much needed case infusion), declare himself Emperor, issue the Napoleonic Code, and , apparently strand ODC in France when hostilities resumed. Suffice to say that 5 months after Hunsford, Darcy is wounded and circling the bottom of a brandy bottle. He agrees to his cousin's suggestion that a trip to Paris may be just
Vaarin
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this action filled version. Especially the first 50%. It is exciting from the first page. Darcy goes to Paris to forget E but meets her at a ball. He is courting her, trying to change her opinion of him. Then the Napoleon war starts... They have an hasardous escape with fighting, sickness, troubles and a marriage. When they arrive in England there is theire realations making mischive... I feel that there is some stalling in the latter 50% of the book. I wonder why they have to continue the ...more
Rita Deodato
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing

What if Richard finds Darcy in such a state of sorrow that he insists his cousin must go with him on a trip to Paris?

And what if instead of going to the Lake District as planned, Mr. Gardner had business in Paris and invited his niece Elizabeth to go there with him and his wife?

What are the chances of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth finding each other at a ball on the most romantic city there is?

Paris is my favourite city in the entire world, so this book was alre
Madenna U
In this Pride and Prejudice variation, Colonel Fitzwilliam convinces a dejected Darcy to visit Paris as he has been sulking for months about Elizabeth's rejection. Darcy finally agrees but is shocked to find his Elizabeth in Paris as well with the Gardiners! With the Colonel's good advice Darcy starts courting Elizabeth rather than assuming anything when tragedy strikes - the peace treaty between France & England is broken and everyone must get out of town ASAP or risk being killed.

Darcy do
Eri
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a P&P lover since i read it many years ago and although i haven't read many variations of Austen's work, I thought I could give a try to this one when I found it here.

I'd say this deserves 4.5 stars because even if it takes some deviations from the original story, Darcy and Lizzy are still there and you'll enjoy their story.
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Should have stopped after the escape from France.

If you can suspend disbelief and follow the premise of the first half of the book this story is intriging. However, after Elizabeth and Darcy escape France it becomes a horrendous and unbelievable tale. Let's play Elizabeth the mistress and Darcy the meek and afraid of the ton. I couldn't finish the book as it only became more ridiculous.
Lit Reader
I would divide this variation in three parts: the first takes place in France, the second in London and the last in Longbourn/Meryton.
I loooved the first part of the story taking place in France, it was novel, original and intense, utterly a variation while keeping the main characters true to their canon personas.
The second part when they return to England was ok, a good connecting piece, sewing elements from the previous part and setting the stage for a forthcoming resolution... only, it did no
Ceri
This review was first published on Babblings of a Bookworm: http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot....

This is a Pride and Prejudice variation that picks up some weeks after the Hunsford proposal. Darcy is in London and he is miserable. He has come to the conclusion that Miss Elizabeth Bennet was correct to refuse his arrogant proposal. He is tortured by regretful thoughts, and the only way he can get a full night’s sleep is to drink heavily. He believes that he has hidden his excesses from Georgia
Victoria
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen, reviewed
Katherine
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel was a lot of fun! Elizabeth is on vacation in Paris after her regretful hurtful words towards Darcy. Darcy is coerced into going to Paris with his cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam and bumps into Elizabeth into a ball. He is determined to try to win Elizabeth and show her that he is a better man now because of her. When the war breaks out Elizabeth is forced to flee Paris with none other than Darcy. Neither consider the impact of her reputation as they flee alone but when Elizabeth dreadfull ...more
Christina (SteepedinBooks)
Sadly, this one wasn’t for me. Nothing wrong with the writing, but the plot was too contrived, imo. The reasons behind the “secret” weren’t convincing enough, so in the end, it all seemed too silly and implausible.

ETA: Am I the only one worried about the maid that was supposed to go with them to escape France? I mean, if Elizabeth almost died from her illness and the maid was already ill - what happened to her? Did she survive as well? Poor girl!
Teresita
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this "what if" version of one of my favorite books of all time. Despite all obstacles and against some bad luck, they meet, get to know each other better and fall in love in a different way.

I highly recommend it! It has one of the best fates for Wickham!!!
Sandra Gebhard
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Dippy premise

If you can get over why they HAVE to keep the secret, you might enjoy the book. I found it so ridiculous, that it detracted from an otherwise well written book.
Anna
Apr 15, 2014 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Check out my review on Diary of an Eccentric
Kim
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun P&P variation that has Darcy and Elizabeth escaping from Paris together, quite unchaperoned, during the Napoleonic wars. Oh the secrets they must keep!
Jean Stillman
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Victoria Kincaid continues to be one of my favorites, and this book is only one reason why. I loved it! It is a quick read that captures you from the beginning. I love the plot and the twists that are present. I especially love the character development in this tale. Colonel Fitzwilliam is well developed, giving Mr Darcy his encouragement and sometimes his opinion that helps Darcy to see how obtuse he is being. Great character! Also, the sentiments expressed by Darcy and Elizabeth were so rich i ...more
Deb Hughes
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully daring and adventure-driven variation

Victoria outdid herself with this variation! Trying to escape Paris with the war starting, we get to take a very exciting ride with Darcy and Elizabeth fleeing for their lives and finally embracing their love for each other!
Shauna
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun and fluffy

I'm taking a break from my required reading, and this was a pretty good, light, fun read. I like the author's writing style and the way she structured her story. It was convincing without being too angsty.
Olatz
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this.
Malacima
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
3.7
T
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The first part, in France, was really good. The second part, where they kept the secret from everyone at home, was just a bit too silly and drawn out - so it loses a star.
Warmisunqu Austen
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reseñas

-------------------| Blog | Facebook | Twitter |-------------------

Darcy y Elizabeth se encuentran en Francia, y a los pocos días Inglaterra y Francia vuelven a estar en guerra. Ellos y todos los ingleses que se encuentran en Francia están en alto riesgo de ser linchados o capturados, en medio de ese caos, se encuenta Elizabeth y Darcy, intentando salir y llegar sanos y salvos a Inglaterra, procurando mantener el decoro.

Viven experiencias de lo más peligrosas en Francia, ataques verbales, físico
Oloore
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is always exciting to find out that a new Austenesque author has made her (or sometimes even his) appearance. Because it means more opportunities for new creative plots and twists, and variations in which they will put our beloved characters for all fans to enjoy:)
So I was thrilled to know that Victoria Kincaid had joined the circle of Austenesque authors with her first (and let's hope not the last) Pride and Prejudice variation.
I will not repeat description of the plot (others before me did
Barb
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read. Not particularly a P&P related variation, but it was a good story, well told.

After Hunsford, Darcy is convinced to go to Paris with his cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam, and some of his comrades. Darcy is ready to do anything to get Elizabeth off his mind, and hopes Paris will help. However, Elizabeth's trip with the Gardiners to the Lake District is cancelled due to Mr. Gardiner's need to travel to France for business. Guess who meets up at a ball in Paris?

This time Darcy is
  • A Noteworthy Courtship
  • Sketching Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Journey
  • The Darcys of Derbyshire: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Pirates and Prejudice
  • Chosen (Leaving Bennet Behind, #1)
  • Ardently: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Consequences
  • The Companion of His Future Life
  • Rumours & Recklessness: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Thursday's Child
  • Sketching Character
  • Bewitched, Body and Soul: Miss Elizabeth Bennet
Victoria has a Ph.D. in English literature and has taught composition to unwilling college students. Today she teaches business writing to willing office professionals and tries to give voice to the demanding cast of characters in her head.

She lives in Virginia with an overly affectionate cat, two children who are learning how much fun Austen’s characters can be, and a husband who fortunately is n