Start by marking “Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan, #1)

Read Excerpt

Into The Abyss

(Demons of Astlan #1)

Turns out: "The Demon Weed" really is a Gateway Drug!

Who knew?

Tom Perkinje certainly didn't. He had never smoked anything in his life, but as the new kid in town trying to make friends, he'd gone to a party and had foolishly let his new buddy Reggie talk him into trying a joint that he'd picked up from a new dealer.

Before he knew it, Tom was having a seriously bad trip;
Published March 29th 2014 by Council of Wizardry

To ask other readers questions about Into The Abyss, please sign up.
J.L. Langland Sorry, missed this completely. Audio for I and II are out now. Book III audio coming end of summer.
Oneeyed You should visit the author's site where information is available : http://www.astlan.net/
There is a thread on this specific subject on the forums : …more
There is a thread on this specific subject on the forums : http://www.astlan.net/Forum/tabid/388...
Although at the moment I can't access it.

According to the author, a "beta" of the sequel should show up in April. You can even apply to be one of the beta readers for it.
Once that is done, it will still need rewriting, proofing/editing, etc...
(less)

Start your review of Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan, #1)
Gavin
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya-books
This was an enjoyable coming of age fantasy that lived up to the promise of its super fun sounding blurb. This was set in a fun fantasy world and was a character driven story packed with action, humor, and great characters.

The story was fun. In a attempt to seem cool and fit in with the crowd 16 year old Tom Perkinje decides to try a joint offered to him by his new friend Reggie. Big mistake as it turns out the new weed really is a gateway drug. A gateway straight to the Abyss! The new drug cau
Harry White
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: demons, fantasy, dragons
Great Story

Despite the many typos this is one of the best books I've read for some time now in terms of story and characters. It would be good to see some romance in the next book, but this was thoroughly entertaining and very fast paced. There was a good combination of humour and more serious elements. The characters were interesting and well thought through.

All in all I would definitely recommend reading this book and I am eagerly awaiting the next book.
Lord
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, there was a point at which I was considering dropping the book. It was one specific part where I felt like the protagonist had just chosen to make a huge mistake about something (no spoilers here so don't bother) and he absolutely knew it would come back to bite him. It came at a bad time, I prefer a bit of a romantic interest in books I read and this book has very little in that regard (nearly non-existent).

But then I sort of pushed through it, I dislike leaving a book behind,
Phoebe Prince
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Into the Abyss by J.L. Langland

I pulled this book from a recommendation thread on r/Fantasy, and the premise was entertaining. Tom, a normal boy in our world, goes to a party and gets summoned into another world–as a powerful demon. Tom’s soul is effectively ripped from him, he dies, and he’s bound as a demon slave in Astlan. Being a powerful demon yet a slave is a contradiction, and this story is riddled with uncomfortable moments for Tom while he comes to terms with not being human (yet still
Joe
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was amazing. Definitely one of the best purchases I've made.

Note: MC is 16 yo. and while YA can read it, it really seemed set up for an adult/new adult demographic (which I think allowed the author to write a better story).
Darkd
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
The positives in this story are almost as frequent as the negatives. The story has a few plot holes, a few two-dimensional characters, and a tonne of useless exposition that does nothing other than make you read mountains of boring information that is completely useless to the reader. The story has an absolutely terrible beginning that will scare away most readers at the first chapter. Finally, the protagonist is probably one of the worst parts of the whole story.

There's one plot hole at the st
Rosver
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book hits my fancy in many ways. A really fun read with lots of humor and silly things but still have those serious weighty and memorable stuff. The characters especially our protagonist, Tom, are solid and you could sympathize. I had read it almost non-stop.

The premise is quite unusual (and what attracts me in the first place) and we are given a story that is just as unusual. From the beginning we have a disparity of Tom being an ordinary boy and Tom being a powerful demon. This disparity
Stephen
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not awful, just boring.

Issues;
Our protagonist is a little too caught up in emotional turmoil for me. He's also strangely uninterested in females which is a bit weird for a 16 year old male.

The other characters all seem quite one dimensional and some are incredibly dim. a good example is the female support. she seems incapable of thinking past her prejudice despite consistent exposure to opposing evidence. this is especially strange as she is a wizard which involves some fairly complex theoretica
Kaz
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very fresh and well thought out approach with a very interesting world. I love the comedy, but it was also a very exciting story and I can't wait for the next book. Of course that's partly because it ends on a huge cliff hanger.
Troy Neenan
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book could have been terrific. It had a good concept, the author had a good start, he could have made a good fantasy seller. But he screwed up on the editing.
The problem with this book is it's length. I don't see how people can keep stuffing up the simple fact that just because you stuff a lot of pages together they think it makes for a more enjoyable book. It does not work that way Langland.
One main problem is that Langland is constantly repeating the same scene multiple times from several
DJay
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is pretty damn good. The whole start to finish was on point. It's on of those taken to another world type stories, but it's told from the viewpoint of the unwilling demon. It's interesting to see how they think and the way things play out. The "REAL" reason demons are so evil and etc. That and the story has plenty of colorful characters all throughout the book. Nobody is really evil, but there are set biases that need to be overcome. The end of book one sets up one hell of a whopper fo ...more
Jason Stevens
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Comedy Fantasy Epic.

Events are often told multiple times through multiple viewpoints which creates very funny situations when we, as readers, understand that these outrageous events are all results of misunderstandings.
Steven Naylor
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating 4.0 stars

This is a hard review to write because I have conflicting emotions. There are aspects of this book that I thought were awesome. There are other aspects of the story that I absolutely hated. Most books are either good or bad, I am having a hard time reconciling one book being both great and terrible at the same time.

The story mainly follows Tom, a 16 year old who just moved to a different town. In order to make friends he went to a party and tried a joint for the first time. So
Douglas Debner
I just blew through the first three books of this series so I'm giving them all the same review.

These books are worth reading, but they have one big flaw. They don't tell stories. When I finished book one I was a bit confused- the book was long enough that it was time for the book to end. Then I realized the author didn't resolve any story lines. It felt a little like there was some resolution because the book ended after a big fight but a moment's reflection reveals that the outcome of that fi
Abravi Akotsu
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it! I can't tell you how many times I have read and reared these trees books, waiting for next instalment!
Nikola Gaić
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was refreshing read,
Sam
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Full disclaimer I only read half-way through before I lost intrest. I wanted to finish it, if only so I could add it to my reading challenge, but sunk cost only goes so far. This book suffers from death by a thousand cuts with a lot of little things that add up for me. Also, mild spoilers ahoy.

My biggest little problem with this book, which maybe it gets explained in the later half, is that nobody in Astlan is aware of where demons come from, or atleast aware of the story they tell. You'd think
Hamda
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fantasy
A demon named Tom

This one has an interesting twist on an old idea, what if Demons were actually people just ones from a different plane. their souls got twist not by evil or torture in hell but by what they thought demons should look and act like and had this conformed by the thoughts of those around them.

One such case is our MC who is a 16 year old kid that got high on a bad patch of weed and died.

The book is action filled with an interesting perspective on things, is it the demon that is bad
Koffe
Amazing just amazing standing ovation!!! This is a solid 5 star book it was a great first installment. This book had it all. A lot of world building while simultaneously, being packed with action without sacrificing any of the plot development.

I cannot remember the last time I saw book this good with these elements in it. It has demons, it has angels, it has pipe smoking crazy demons. It has several Laughing out loud moments where you can't help yourself. It has such an amazing narrative and pl
Oneeyed
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I was surprised... This was actually quite good fantasy.

The premise seemed cheesy, and the start of the story a bit boring, but after a while I was smiling and enjoying it a lot. The turning point for me was when the protagonist is summoned by the priest, I was laughing out loud. Action and mystery also started to really become interesting.

There are a lot of clues (Heward ?!) hinting at what will happen in the following sequels, a bit too obvious to me but I will gladly buy the second in the ser
Milan
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jason Mitchell
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book -- I can't wait for the next one!

The author has created a wonderfully detailed universe here. it was too much detail to take in on the first read. The characters were well fleshed out, the different magical elements well described. I was on pins and needles reading the final scene! All and all, I highly recommend this.
Lukas Lovas
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written and quite enjoyable. Some of the characters were a bit too stereotypical for my own preferences, and the ending left me feeling a bit disappointed - I want some closure, but I'm not willing to read another book in the series just to get it. As much as I liked the book, it wasn't a perfect fit for me and I don't plan to continue the series despite it being quite promising :)
Paps
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: demons, fantasy
Great book, loved the protagonist, and even more the world thats its builded in it, a lot of interesting characters and a dynamic adventure. Is great how the author is preparing our protagonist for big things in the future. The best thing on this book is how complete the world feels, the diferent species their dinamics and relationships even the celestials and Gods.
Billy Munich
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This definitely did not disappoint. When I see that a book has such a crazy/funny/unique sounding premise the execution isn't always as great as I would hope. My second worry was that it would get whiny, but it certainly did not. It was funny, and seemed to move quickly. There were enough twists to keep things interesting and characters were likable.
Larry
Really enjoyable and fresh approach aimed at adults despite the lack of romance. Perhaps we'll see some romance in the next book. Comedy moments were great and often achieveded through misunderstandings. Looking forward to the next book. Hope it is soon!
Jeremy
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: magic fantasy/comedy fans
Shelves: demons, fantasy
I really enjoyed this book. A very funny and interesting read
N.
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
yess, found another superb book!
M Hamed
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
500 pages is a great sacrifice to give .the story it self can't be taken seriously with shallow and weak writing .it becomes impossible to continue

stopped at page 100
Tommi
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Utter trash.
Full of "Deus ex machina" moments, characters whose description constantly conflicts with their actions" and incredible stupid actions from these characters.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fimbulwinter (Daniel Black, #1)
  • Black Coven (Daniel Black, #2)
  • After The Rabbit (Waldo Rabbit, #2)
  • Extermination (Daniel Black, #3)
  • The (sort of) Dark Mage (Waldo Rabbit, #1)
  • Sunset (Nightlord, #1)
  • Champion for Hire (Portals of Infinity, #1)
  • The Rabbit Who Lived (Waldo Rabbit, #4)
  • Thrall (Daniel Black, #4)
  • The Dao of Magic #1
  • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
  • The Road to Magic (The Way of the Demon Series, #1)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • A Snake's Life
  • The Blue Mage Raised by Dragons (The Blue Mage Raised by Dragons, #1)
  • The Expansion (Legend of the Arch Magus, #1)
J. L. Langland has been obsessed with science fiction and fantasy since Junior High. Upon hearing the job description "High Energy Astrophysicist" in 8th Grade Physical Science, he set out to become one. His express goal to develop trans-warp capability, patent it, license patent rights, make money, build spaceship, go to the stars.

OK, well, he got a B.S. in Astrophysics, then his M.S. and Ph.D. i

Demons of Astlan (3 books)
  • The Heavenly Host (Demons of Astlan, #2)
  • The Apostles of Doom (Demons of Astlan, #3)

News & Interviews

“The whole place was a rather chaotic jumble of science-fantasy and cyberpunk.  The sort of place where the ideas of a lot of really bad authors came together, or perhaps drunken game designers.” 2 likes
“Trump Tower?”  Tom asked incredulously.  Well, at least he got that one right, thought Antefalken, shuddering at the thought of its namesake Archdemon. ” 2 likes