Start by marking “Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan, #1)

Read Excerpt

Into The Abyss

(Demons of Astlan #1)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  2,289 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Turns out: "The Demon Weed" really is a Gateway Drug!

Who knew?

Tom Perkinje certainly didn't. He had never smoked anything in his life, but as the new kid in town trying to make friends, he'd gone to a party and had foolishly let his new buddy Reggie talk him into trying a joint that he'd picked up from a new dealer.

Before he knew it, Tom was having a seriously bad trip;
Published March 29th 2014 by Council of Wizardry

To ask other readers questions about Into The Abyss, please sign up.
J.L. Langland Sorry, missed this completely. Audio for I and II are out now. Book III audio coming end of summer.
Oneeyed You should visit the author's site where information is available : http://www.astlan.net/
There is a thread on this specific subject on the forums :…more
There is a thread on this specific subject on the forums : http://www.astlan.net/Forum/tabid/388...
Although at the moment I can't access it.

According to the author, a "beta" of the sequel should show up in April. You can even apply to be one of the beta readers for it.
Once that is done, it will still need rewriting, proofing/editing, etc...
(less)

Gavin
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya-books
This was an enjoyable coming of age fantasy that lived up to the promise of its super fun sounding blurb. This was set in a fun fantasy world and was a character driven story packed with action, humor, and great characters.

The story was fun. In a attempt to seem cool and fit in with the crowd 16 year old Tom Perkinje decides to try a joint offered to him by his new friend Reggie. Big mistake as it turns out the new weed really is a gateway drug. A gateway straight to the Abyss! The new drug cau
Harry White
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, demons, dragons
Great Story

Despite the many typos this is one of the best books I've read for some time now in terms of story and characters. It would be good to see some romance in the next book, but this was thoroughly entertaining and very fast paced. There was a good combination of humour and more serious elements. The characters were interesting and well thought through.

All in all I would definitely recommend reading this book and I am eagerly awaiting the next book.
Lord
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, there was a point at which I was considering dropping the book. It was one specific part where I felt like the protagonist had just chosen to make a huge mistake about something (no spoilers here so don't bother) and he absolutely knew it would come back to bite him. It came at a bad time, I prefer a bit of a romantic interest in books I read and this book has very little in that regard (nearly non-existent).

But then I sort of pushed through it, I dislike leaving a book behind,
Joe
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was amazing. Definitely one of the best purchases I've made.

Note: MC is 16 yo. and while YA can read it, it really seemed set up for an adult/new adult demographic (which I think allowed the author to write a better story).
Phoebe Prince
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Into the Abyss by J.L. Langland

I pulled this book from a recommendation thread on r/Fantasy, and the premise was entertaining. Tom, a normal boy in our world, goes to a party and gets summoned into another world–as a powerful demon. Tom’s soul is effectively ripped from him, he dies, and he’s bound as a demon slave in Astlan. Being a powerful demon yet a slave is a contradiction, and this story is riddled with uncomfortable moments for Tom while he comes to terms with not being human (yet still
Rosver
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book hits my fancy in many ways. A really fun read with lots of humor and silly things but still have those serious weighty and memorable stuff. The characters especially our protagonist, Tom, are solid and you could sympathize. I had read it almost non-stop.

The premise is quite unusual (and what attracts me in the first place) and we are given a story that is just as unusual. From the beginning we have a disparity of Tom being an ordinary boy and Tom being a powerful demon. This disparity
Stephen
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not awful, just boring.

Issues;
Our protagonist is a little too caught up in emotional turmoil for me. He's also strangely uninterested in females which is a bit weird for a 16 year old male.

The other characters all seem quite one dimensional and some are incredibly dim. a good example is the female support. she seems incapable of thinking past her prejudice despite consistent exposure to opposing evidence. this is especially strange as she is a wizard which involves some fairly complex theoretica
Kaz
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very fresh and well thought out approach with a very interesting world. I love the comedy, but it was also a very exciting story and I can't wait for the next book. Of course that's partly because it ends on a huge cliff hanger.
Jason Stevens
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Comedy Fantasy Epic.

Events are often told multiple times through multiple viewpoints which creates very funny situations when we, as readers, understand that these outrageous events are all results of misunderstandings.
Elusive
Amazing just amazing standing ovation!!! This is a solid 5 star book it was a great first installment. This book had it all. A lot of world building while simultaneously, being packed with action without sacrificing any of the plot development.

I cannot remember the last time I saw book this good with these elements in it. It has demons, it has angels, it has pipe smoking crazy demons. It has several Laughing out loud moments where you can't help yourself. It has such an amazing narrative and pl
Darkd
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
The positives in this story are almost as frequent as the negatives. The story has a few plot holes, a few two-dimensional characters, and a tonne of useless exposition that does nothing other than make you read mountains of boring information that is completely useless to the reader. The story has an absolutely terrible beginning that will scare away most readers at the first chapter. Finally, the protagonist is probably one of the worst parts of the whole story.

There's one plot hole at the st
Oneeyed
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I was surprised... This was actually quite good fantasy.

The premise seemed cheesy, and the start of the story a bit boring, but after a while I was smiling and enjoying it a lot. The turning point for me was when the protagonist is summoned by the priest, I was laughing out loud. Action and mystery also started to really become interesting.

There are a lot of clues (Heward ?!) hinting at what will happen in the following sequels, a bit too obvious to me but I will gladly buy the second in the ser
DJay
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is pretty damn good. The whole start to finish was on point. It's on of those taken to another world type stories, but it's told from the viewpoint of the unwilling demon. It's interesting to see how they think and the way things play out. The "REAL" reason demons are so evil and etc. That and the story has plenty of colorful characters all throughout the book. Nobody is really evil, but there are set biases that need to be overcome. The end of book one sets up one hell of a whopper fo ...more
Jason Mitchell
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book -- I can't wait for the next one!

The author has created a wonderfully detailed universe here. it was too much detail to take in on the first read. The characters were well fleshed out, the different magical elements well described. I was on pins and needles reading the final scene! All and all, I highly recommend this.
Michael J. Rotchford
So so book

I rated this book a 3 because it was just ok. I didn't enjoy the breaks throughout the story with little glossary sections. it should have come out through the book itself if needed.
Larry
Really enjoyable and fresh approach aimed at adults despite the lack of romance. Perhaps we'll see some romance in the next book. Comedy moments were great and often achieveded through misunderstandings. Looking forward to the next book. Hope it is soon!
N.
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
yess, found another superb book!
Jeremy
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: magic fantasy/comedy fans
Shelves: fantasy, demons
I really enjoyed this book. A very funny and interesting read
Lasquizzie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Editing issues but really good story

I really live this book. Such interesting characters and unique plot. I'm intrigued and plan to start the next book immediately.
M Hamed
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
500 pages is a great sacrifice to give .the story it self can't be taken seriously with shallow and weak writing .it becomes impossible to continue

stopped at page 100
Sam
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Only problem is now I have to wait for the next one.
Sam
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Full disclaimer I only read half-way through before I lost intrest. I wanted to finish it, if only so I could add it to my reading challenge, but sunk cost only goes so far. This book suffers from death by a thousand cuts with a lot of little things that add up for me. Also, mild spoilers ahoy.

My biggest little problem with this book, which maybe it gets explained in the later half, is that nobody in Astlan is aware of where demons come from, or atleast aware of the story they tell. You'd think
Reiji
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise but poor execution. a lot of time is devoted to supplementary information(with some information being repeated multiple times) while we get no real character background for most of the characters, just some hints screaming "read the next book and maybe we will tell you something of value". Also supplementary information comes from dubious sources and conjecture so you are likely to spend 15 minutes of your life absorbing one of many treatises or conjectures on one subject or ...more
Kristoffer
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. After the main character ended up in a fantasy world as a demon, I was afraid that the book would just fall into fantasy tropes with a slight variation to account for the character being a demon. Instead, this book had a ton of charm and came up with some interesting reflections of the main character on demons. Also, the demon world, known as the Abyss in this book, was featured in some segments. I found this realm to be fairly interesting and had not really been expe ...more
Hamda
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
A demon named Tom

This one has an interesting twist on an old idea, what if Demons were actually people just ones from a different plane. their souls got twist not by evil or torture in hell but by what they thought demons should look and act like and had this conformed by the thoughts of those around them.

One such case is our MC who is a 16 year old kid that got high on a bad patch of weed and died.

The book is action filled with an interesting perspective on things, is it the demon that is bad
Kevin
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Everyone in this novel is arrogant to the extreme. All of their personal mistakes and bad choices is always someone else's fault. Good grief.

I really dislike children in stories. I don't know if authors put them in just so some action of the greatest stupidity can occur.
This of course will cause conflict, which will have to be resolved, which would push the length of the story.
Every time I'm settling down to enjoy this book, that kid goes and does something stupid.

I'm making a prediction (view
Troy Neenan
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book could have been terrific. It had a good concept, the author had a good start, he could have made a good fantasy seller. But he screwed up on the editing.
The problem with this book is it's length. I don't see how people can keep stuffing up the simple fact that just because you stuff a lot of pages together they think it makes for a more enjoyable book. It does not work that way Langland.
One main problem is that Langland is constantly repeating the same scene multiple times from several
Lukas Lovas
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written and quite enjoyable. Some of the characters were a bit too stereotypical for my own preferences, and the ending left me feeling a bit disappointed - I want some closure, but I'm not willing to read another book in the series just to get it. As much as I liked the book, it wasn't a perfect fit for me and I don't plan to continue the series despite it being quite promising :)
Heath
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2018
Good Long Read.

The main character dies and gets transformed (summoned) to a fantasy world as a demon. A large amount of world building done in and out of the story (in appendix at the back of the book linked in the story). The plot get a complicated as more of it is revealed and history is told. Interested in reading the next book.
Nate
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This cover does not match this book at all. It looks like its a super dark fantasy, but, not at all. This is a fun story about a guy who is sucked into another dimension where he is transformed into a "demon". But he's just a kid trying to figure out what is going on while the magicians of that dimension fight their war. It's quite a fun an humorous adventure.
  • The Road to Magic (The Way of the Demon Series, #1)
  • After The Rabbit (Waldo Rabbit, #2)
  • Fimbulwinter (Daniel Black, #1)
  • Ascension (Spellscribed, #2)
  • Contractor (The Contractors, #1)
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
  • Slave Pits of the Tyrannical God (Path of Transcendence, #2)
  • Blue Star Priestess (Demon Lord, #3)
  • The Kartoss Gambit (The Way of the Shaman #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Vengeance (The Sorcerer's Path, #4)
  • Magelord (The Spellmonger, #3)
  • AlterWorld: Play to Live. A LitRPG Series (Book 1)
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • Weapon of Vengeance (Weapon of Flesh, #3)
  • A Dragon Born (Book of One, #3)
J. L. Langland has been obsessed with science fiction and fantasy since Junior High. Upon hearing the job description "High Energy Astrophysicist" in 8th Grade Physical Science, he set out to become one. His express goal to develop trans-warp capability, patent it, license patent rights, make money, build spaceship, go to the stars.

OK, well, he got a B.S. in Astrophysics, then his M.S. and Ph.D. i

Demons of Astlan (3 books)
  • The Heavenly Host (Demons of Astlan, #2)
  • The Apostles of Doom
“The whole place was a rather chaotic jumble of science-fantasy and cyberpunk.  The sort of place where the ideas of a lot of really bad authors came together, or perhaps drunken game designers.” 2 likes
“How did he get stuck in this farcical hero role?  If he were a character in a book he was reading, he’d damn the author to hell.  Hmm, well, given those circumstances, at least he could punch the author in the face because they’d both be in the same place. Tom almost laughed hysterically again. ” 2 likes