Start by marking “Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan, #1)

Read Excerpt

Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  1,946 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Turns out: "The Demon Weed" really is a Gateway Drug!

Who knew?

Tom Perkinje certainly didn't. He had never smoked anything in his life, but as the new kid in town trying to make friends, he'd gone to a party and had foolishly let his new buddy Reggie talk him into trying a joint that he'd picked up from a new dealer.

Before he knew it, Tom was having a seriously bad trip;
Published March 29th 2014 by Council of Wizardry

To ask other readers questions about Into The Abyss, please sign up.

J.L. Langland Sorry, missed this completely. Audio for I and II are out now. Book III audio coming end of summer.
Oneeyed You should visit the author's site where information is available : http://www.astlan.net/
There is a thread on this specific subject on the forums :…more
There is a thread on this specific subject on the forums : http://www.astlan.net/Forum/tabid/388...
Although at the moment I can't access it.

According to the author, a "beta" of the sequel should show up in April. You can even apply to be one of the beta readers for it.
Once that is done, it will still need rewriting, proofing/editing, etc...
(less)

Harry White
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, demons, dragons
Great Story

Despite the many typos this is one of the best books I've read for some time now in terms of story and characters. It would be good to see some romance in the next book, but this was thoroughly entertaining and very fast paced. There was a good combination of humour and more serious elements. The characters were interesting and well thought through.

All in all I would definitely recommend reading this book and I am eagerly awaiting the next book.
Lord
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, there was a point at which I was considering dropping the book. It was one specific part where I felt like the protagonist had just chosen to make a huge mistake about something (no spoilers here so don't bother) and he absolutely knew it would come back to bite him. It came at a bad time, I prefer a bit of a romantic interest in books I read and this book has very little in that regard (nearly non-existent).

But then I sort of pushed through it, I dislike leaving a book behind,
Joe
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was amazing. Definitely one of the best purchases I've made.

Note: MC is 16 yo. and while YA can read it, it really seemed set up for an adult/new adult demographic (which I think allowed the author to write a better story).
H.D. Lynn
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Into the Abyss by J.L. Langland

I pulled this book from a recommendation thread on r/Fantasy, and the premise was entertaining. Tom, a normal boy in our world, goes to a party and gets summoned into another world–as a powerful demon. Tom’s soul is effectively ripped from him, he dies, and he’s bound as a demon slave in Astlan. Being a powerful demon yet a slave is a contradiction, and this story is riddled with uncomfortable moments for Tom while he comes to terms with not being human (yet still
Rosver
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book hits my fancy in many ways. A really fun read with lots of humor and silly things but still have those serious weighty and memorable stuff. The characters especially our protagonist, Tom, are solid and you could sympathize. I had read it almost non-stop.

The premise is quite unusual (and what attracts me in the first place) and we are given a story that is just as unusual. From the beginning we have a disparity of Tom being an ordinary boy and Tom being a powerful demon. This disparity
Kaz
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very fresh and well thought out approach with a very interesting world. I love the comedy, but it was also a very exciting story and I can't wait for the next book. Of course that's partly because it ends on a huge cliff hanger.
Stephen Tamatoa
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not awful, just boring.

Issues;
Our protagonist is a little too caught up in emotional turmoil for me. He's also strangely uninterested in females which is a bit weird for a 16 year old male.

The other characters all seem quite one dimensional and some are incredibly dim. a good example is the female support. she seems incapable of thinking past her prejudice despite consistent exposure to opposing evidence. this is especially strange as she is a wizard which involves some fairly complex theoretica
Jason Stevens
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Comedy Fantasy Epic.

Events are often told multiple times through multiple viewpoints which creates very funny situations when we, as readers, understand that these outrageous events are all results of misunderstandings.
Elusive
Amazing just amazing standing ovation!!! This is a solid 5 star book it was a great first installment. This book had it all. A lot of world building while simultaneously, being packed with action without sacrificing any of the plot development.

I cannot remember the last time I saw book this good with these elements in it. It has demons, it has angels, it has pipe smoking crazy demons. It has several Laughing out loud moments where you can't help yourself. It has such an amazing narrative and pl
Darkd
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
The positives in this story are almost as frequent as the negatives. The story has a few plot holes, a few two-dimensional characters, and a tonne of useless exposition that does nothing other than make you read mountains of boring information that is completely useless to the reader. The story has an absolutely terrible beginning that will scare away most readers at the first chapter. Finally, the protagonist is probably one of the worst parts of the whole story.

There's one plot hole at the st
  • The Road to Magic (The Way of the Demon Series, #1)
  • After The Rabbit (Waldo Rabbit, #2)
  • Fimbulwinter (Daniel Black, #1)
  • Ascension (Spellscribed, #2)
  • Contractor (The Contractors, #1)
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
  • Slave Pits of the Tyrannical God (Path of Transcendence, #2)
  • Blue Star Priestess (Demon Lord, #3)
  • The Kartoss Gambit (The Way of the Shaman #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Vengeance (The Sorcerer's Path, #4)
  • Magelord (The Spellmonger, #3)
  • AlterWorld (Play to Live, #1)
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • Weapon of Vengeance (Weapon of Flesh, #3)
  • A Dragon Born (Book of One, #3)
8120828
J. L. Langland has been obsessed with science fiction and fantasy since Junior High. Upon hearing the job description "High Energy Astrophysicist" in 8th Grade Physical Science, he set out to become one. His express goal to develop trans-warp capability, patent it, license patent rights, make money, build spaceship, go to the stars.

OK, well, he got a B.S. in Astrophysics, then his M.S. and Ph.D. i
More about J.L. Langland...

Demons of Astlan (3 books)
  • The Heavenly Host (Demons of Astlan, #2)
  • The Apostles of Doom
“Comest now, demon, I command thee!” “OH, DO YOU?”  thundered a remarkably bass voice from behind the boulder. “Yes, shithead, I do!”  One had to be tough with these things or they’d walk all over you. A hoof stepped out from behind the boulder, and then the rest of the demon followed. “Oooh, shit.” Gastropé’s eyes grew wide as he took the creature in.  Biggest damned thing he’d ever seen.  “Did I say shithead?” was all he could say.  The demon just grinned wickedly.  Gastropé licked his lips.” 1 likes
“The whole place was a rather chaotic jumble of science-fantasy and cyberpunk.  The sort of place where the ideas of a lot of really bad authors came together, or perhaps drunken game designers.” 1 likes