Start by marking “Things A Little Bird Told Me” as Want to Read:
Things A Little Bird Told Me

Things A Little Bird Told Me

A fresh, entertaining book about the power of creativity and how to harness it, from co-founder of Twitter Biz Stone.

Biz Stone, the co-founder of Twitter, discusses innovation, creativity and the secrets of being a successful entrepreneur, through stories from his remarkable life and career.

From GQ's 'Nerd of the Year' to one of Time's most influential people in the world
Published April 24th 2014 by Macmillan (first published April 2014)

Ryan Dejonghe
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THINGS A LITTLE BIRD TOLD ME by Biz Stone has done two things for me: left me inspired, and convinced me that Mr. Stone is a nice, cool, and interesting guy. In fact, reading this book reminded me of Chris Hadfield’s AN ASTRONAUT’S GUIDE TO LIFE ON EARTH. Through determination, mental projection, and a bit of luck, amazing things can happen. Or, so we are lead to believe.

This book goes through the life of Biz Stone from the time he was living in his mom’s basement with his girlfriend, tens of th
Suzanne
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why, but I love reading about techies. I also love the entrepreneurial spirit. So I found this book both interesting and inspiring. There's nothing super profound in this book, but it's filled with lots of truisms about creativity, passion and empathy. It was a book that I could read in chunks, which I always appreciate. I enjoyed it.
Samra Muslim
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love twitter and for that reason alone reading this book was a lot of fun for me - how the social network came along, the back stories of the founder and how it evolved were extremely intriguing a read!

At the same time, I enjoyed what Biz Stone had to say, his perspective to work, giving and being user/customer centric are all I personally feel extremely strongly about and thus to me the book connected, touched and brought immense pleasure. A lot of my feelings finally got put into words

The
Olubukola
"I'm a talker", Stone says several times in this book, and you better believe it. I enjoyed reading this book; I laughed and learned valuable lessons about life and business. I also like the author's practice of adding or showcasing the humane side of a business.
Joe Kovacs
The first three-quarters of this book are pretty damn perfect. Biz Stone's journey to and through his founding of Twitter with Jack Dorsey, of discovering its potential by observing how others used it (especially during the 2007 SXSW conference) and by watching its national and international ramifications unfold is pretty spellbinding. He is frank about his economic troubles before Twitter, dedicated to his girlfriend and then wife, Livvy, with whom he shared all the challenges and joys of his l ...more
Allison Arthur
I read Biz Stone's new book cover to cover in one sitting. He shares stories of failing and misstepping yet never straying his instincts, which has inspired me to reevaluate my priorities - personally and professionally.

The last 50 pages focus on his altruism and vision of a better world. He explains how the neutral sharing of information can improve situations for those less fortunate. I found Biz's chapter titled "A New Definition for Capitalism" particularly enlightening. It shifted my view o
Maryam
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply loved it! The author not only talked about his life and twitter, he gave really valuable life lessons for us all,he got a great sense of humor too :) Biz Stone is definetly going to be my new inspiration and role model to leave my mark in this world.
Gabriella
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(I received a digital copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review.)

"Things a Little Bird Told Me" is not your average business book. I see it more as a creative memoir of Biz's life and times. He was one of the four original co-founders of Twitter (Evan, Jack, and Noah were the others). Biz starts by taking us through his somewhat surreal initial hiring at Google (helped by Evan, who became a close friend), then his jumping ship to Evan's new startup Odeo, and then the birth of Twitter, w
Angie

37% memoir
54% self-help/inspiration
33% philanthropy
0% math

Super quick read about the founding of Twitter, its triumphs and failures, touches of Stone's personal life and lots and lots of his personal philosophies.

If you're looking for the big answer as to how to become a giant success in the tech industry, I'll sum it up for you:

Keep trying till something sticks and don't be afraid to walk away from huge opportunities if they don't feel right.Good job at Google? Walk away. Half of a billion doll
Meagan
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So what does Biz Stone have to write a book about? He was there. He showed up. Sometimes, when someone needed a nudge, he nudged.

I am not entirely sure whether the great takeaway is supposed to be that even when you aren't a technical genius or a business guru, you can still be in the room, or whether I think Twitter is really kind of pointless. (I actually use Facebook messenger a lot. I am sure Facebook would love to put me in a focus group to find out why, and how they can make more people l
Ghislain
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technologie
J'ai tout simplement adoré. Je me souviens que Biz Stone en 2009 m'avait fait forte impression alors que Twitter n'était qu'à ses débuts (je suis arrivé sur ce réseau en décembre 2009 avant de le quitter en octobre 2014...). Le livre est autant intéressant pour découvrir les premiers pas de l'oiseau bleu ; que pour vivre la naissance de plusieurs start-ups comme Blogger ou Medium ; mais aussi pour mieux se convaincre de l'intérêt du croisement entre humanités et technologie.
Steve
Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind

by Biz Stone

240 pages

This is a feel good business memoir by the founder of Twitter. Will likely appeal to folks who like to read business and/or self-help books. Expect a lots of truisms, like follow your dreams, be persistant, etc. This may reach best-seller status, if well reviewed in popular press.
Cristiana
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An infusion of optimism with a reality check towards the end. A very good book on how to build a "social" brand and a well told story about the power of the consumers to change things for the better, if given the chance.
Nadia King
Some great messages contained in this book.

My favourite quote:
"I discovered early on that it was better to make my own destiny."
Mosab
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book, rather a 200 something blog post that is of average quality, and that could've been distilled to at least half that without affecting anything said.

The title is completely misleading, and the timeline of events mentioned in the book is but clear.

The worst thing about the book though is the author trying hard, either consciously or subconsciously or both, to portray a superior good profile of himself in professional and personal aspects, which is a legit thing in of itself, ex
Rik Schnabel
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was given to me by my accountant and i enjoyed Biz's narrative thoroughly. For anyone who is in business and cares about the world they live in - this is a valuable perspective. i highly recommend it. Biz you are a caring and creative genius!
Narinder  Bhatia
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book which touches on many aspects of Biz and teaches many valuable lessons . for a detailed review visit http://bookmantras.blogspot.in/2018/0...
Mohammad Kermani
I liked some chapters where he was talking more about the Twitter, and in my idea, the book could be better if it was sumerized...
Yigit Yilmaz
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitaba başladığım tarihle bitirdiğim arasında tam bir ay geçmiş. Bu zaman diliminin bu kadar büyümesinin nedeni okuma rutinimi kaybetmemle alakalı, aman kitabı beğenmediğime yormayın :)

Gelelim kitaba: Biz ve Ev Google’ın Blogger ürünü üzerinde geliştirme yapan iki çalışanıdır. Bir gün bu işten sıkılırlar ve Odeo isminde bir podcast şirketi kurmaya karar verirler. Şirketi kururlar fakat bir süre sonra bu işin de kendilerine göre olmadığını anlarlar. Şirketi kapatmadan önce şirketin içerisinde bir
Linda Frieh
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give it a 4.5 instead of 4, and I wish I could finish it faster and read it continuously without interruptions for weeks. That may have affected my review.
It was such an amazing book about Biz Stone (co-founder of Twitter) I start liking those kinds of books. It was not an average business book it was more creative than I thought and it shows Biz’s life in an inspirational way. It shows you the other side of the story of Biz who is a great guy, the kind of person you want to succe
Kressel Housman
Biz Stone is one of the founders of Twitter, and though parts of his account of its origin story contradict the account in Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal, he has such an engaging writing style and admirable message, I couldn’t help but conclude that whatever really happened, he did his best to stay above the fray. He comes across as a really likable guy.

More than just an origin story, the book is Biz Stone’s philosophy of life and business, a combinatio
Sam Angari
*Late-night writing, not refined*
I was first introduced to Biz through my following to Jack Dorsey on Twitter. As Jack is a co-founder of this corporate, I was intrigued to know about the other co-founders. A little Google search did the basic job until, months later, I came across a tweet from Jack introducing Biz's new book!

I find it fascinating, interesting, and so much remarkable knowing about stories of huge successes that grew out from potential failures. It holds comfort to us that sto
Almas Nasar
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own, favorites
"The other thing I ll say about money is that having a lot of it amplifies who you are.I have found this to be almost universally true.If you are a nice person, and then you get money, you become a wonderful philanthropist.But if you are an asshole with lots of money you can afford to be more of an asshole"

Easily a 5 starer!

Its mostly a stroke of amazing luck to find a fulfilling companion during your dark days.I plucked this one during my exams when my patience and attention were seeing themsel
André Bueno
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
Creativity depends on direction and boundaries can allow us to become more creative. You have to believe in yourself, no one else will. The only way to fix an issue is to be transparent that there are things that need to get done and to simply get started as soon as possible. We can't be scared to fail if we hope to succeed- the more we try something the closer we get to its actual achievement. Failure is inevitable so we should learn to deal with that feeling so we could move forward. Al
Doreen
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nick, Kate, Steph, Matt, Laura, Melissa, Ashley, Gerry, Diane
Recommended to Doreen by: Saw it at the library
The reason may be that I'm 'technology-challenged', but I REALLY enjoyed reading this book! The author is co-founder of Twitter. In this book he recaps his ascent from a young man who finesses his way out of doing homework, to a successful businessman, marching to the beat of his own keystrokes! Add to that his above-par writing ability, and hence the high rating! I know he continues to experiment; perhaps he will create and nurture another amazing concept for the masses. I do hope that he conti ...more
Carol
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biz Stone is a likeable guy. He starts out with nothing. He seems to be the least likely guy to make it in the tech business. He does have some personal attributes that make him not only likable but despite economic hardships, a prime candidate to succeed. He believes in making his own opportunities, he is interested in people, he communicates well, and he wants things to work.

This was a very interesting read.
Juliana Stock
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books like this can either be awesome or self-congratulating and name-droppy so I was cautiously optimistic and a bit wary. I have to say, I read the entire book in three sittings and was sad it ended. Totally humble, endearing, insightful and honest. I loved it and whole-heartedly recommend to anyone looking to be inspired, regardless of industry, passion or sector.
Chris Ogunlowo
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About the coolest book on the intrigues, uncertainties & triumphs of being a creative entrepreneur. This should be an essential read for anyone with interest in the crossroads of creativity, business, empathy & a healthy belief in possibilities. Insightful. It's funny too. (I can't stop laughing at the build up towards visiting Facebook & the depiction of Mark Zuckerberg).
Kayla
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Received this in a Goodreads giveaway*
I'm not a Twitter user, but I found this part-memoir, part-"how to be successful" book to be quite inspiring. The way he was able to bring empathy, generosity, and integrity into his company is why it became so successful. Overall, it's a quick read & I enjoyed it a lot.
MGMaudlin
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A surprisingly light and shallow depiction of the rise of Twitter with admonitions on how to remain human and good while succeeding. I would like to have more of the details, such as more context and the substantative debates surrounding important decisions. It is still a fun, quick, and interesting read simply because Twitter is such an iconic company. Enjoy.

• Quick and Nimble: Lessons from Leading CEOs on How to Create a Culture of Innovation
  • Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs
  • For the Love of Money: A Memoir
  • The Hypomanic Edge: The Link Between (A Little) Craziness and (A Lot of) Success in America
  • Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America
  • Swimming in the Steno Pool: A Retro Guide to Making It in the Office
  • Without Their Permission: How the 21st Century Will Be Made, Not Managed
  • The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media
  • Schooled: How the System Breaks Teachers
  • Startup Boards: Getting the Most Out of Your Board of Directors
  • Humboldt's Cosmos: Alexander von Humboldt and the Latin American Journey that Changed the Way We Se
  • Rise of the DEO: Leadership by Design
  • Inventing Joy: Dare to Build a Brave  Creative Life
  • The Effective Engineer: How to Leverage Your Efforts In Software Engineering to Make a Disproportionate and Meaningful Impact
  • Digital Disruption: Unleashing the Next Wave of Innovation
  • Confessions of a Radical Industrialist: How My Company and I Transformed Our Purpose, Sparked Innovation, and Grew Profits - By Respecting the Earth
  • Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing
  • The Alliance: Managing Talent in the Networked Age
Christopher Isaac "Biz" Stone (born March 10, 1974) is a co-inventor and co-founder of Twitter, Inc and also helped to create and launch Xanga, Blogger, Odeo, The Obvious Corporation and Medium. In 2012, Stone co-founded a start-up called Jelly Industries where he serves as CEO. The release of the Jelly app, a Q&A platform that relies on images, was officially announced in January 2014.

Stone g