Start by marking “Dead Roots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Dead Roots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #7)

Dead Roots

(Bad Hair Day Mystery #7)

While attending her family reunion at Florida's historic Sugar Crest Plantation Resort, Marla Shore, introducing her fiance to her family for the first time, is faced with murder, mayhem, ghosts, and greed, all of which are linked to centuries-old treasure.
Published April 1st 2014 by Open Road Media Mystery Thriller (first published December 1st 2005)

Start your review of Dead Roots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #7)
Loraine
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I enjoyed this cozy mystery with Marta the beautician and her fiance Detective Dalton Vail. A family reunion in Florida combines corpses, family secrets, and romance for a delightful mystery.
Rachelle
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book of this series that I have read and most likely the last. Although there were interesting plots (always love hidden passages!) overall, I was bored. I also thought the names were ridiculous. The groundskeeper was Mulch, the hotel manager was Butler, the chef was Brownie, the "ghostbuster" was Spector, and the event coordinator was Champagne Glass. The main character did not appeal to me. She is constantly going by herself to places that she knows are dangerous even though ...more
Christine P
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Marla Shore and her fiance are attending a family reunion at Sugar Crest Plantation on Florida's west coast,(that used to be owned by Marla's family) not only is the family meeting Dalton for the first time but they find themselves embarking on another murder mystery. This book is filled with family history, a treasure hunt and ghosts. Are these hauntings real or just ghosts of the past coming to light at the reunion?
While I did like this story I was irritated at how even though she has her toug
Devon
Nov 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I don't think I'd recommend it
Recommended to Devon by: saw it in the Library
Dead Roots was about a thirty-something girl who is attending a family reunion with her boyfriend, Detective Dalton Vail. Unfortunately, her dear Aunt Polly was found suffocated in her bed. Aunt Polly's Father had apparently hidden a fortune in gems somewhere on the grounds of this old plantation. Well, gems and family lead to death and destruction, and not just dear Aunt Polly, either. Dead Roots was an okay read, but left me wondering how Marla & Detective Dalton managed to get to all the plac ...more
Debbie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead roots couldn't be a more perfect title.

I enjoyed not only reading this mystery but also enjoyed trying to analyze every minute and every written word. I'm definitely on to number 8 of the Bad Hair Day Mysteries. I don't think it will disappoint considering I've loved them all so far and have been surprised even at the end.
Lauren
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Pretty fast-paced southern supernatural-ish mystery. Enjoyable, easy to read, likable characters. Nothing extraordinary.

Update: 4/14/2011 Maybe it's just because I'm reading these interspersed with the Carol Higgins Clark/Regan Reilly series, which I'm not loving, but the more I read the Bad Hair Day Mysteries, the more I like them.
Rachel
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, given-by-author
The story was as cute as cozy mysteries come. The names were fantastic puns on the jobs those people did. The family was dysfunctional enough to be real. Reading it was a great way to spend a rainy day.
Beth
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
not my favorite
Brooke Adams
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love mysteries and this one fit the bill! Loved it and I look forward to reading other of Nancy's mystery novels.
Missy
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2011
Book #49 in 2011

This is one of the better books in this series. I love the supernatural component, and Marla doesn't seem like such a ditz for once.
Linda
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this mystery set at Marla's family reunion. You have to live any mystery that has secret passages involved.
Christine
Oct 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book of the series....can't wait to read the next one
Heather
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best book in tis seres so far, LOVED it!
Kim Freitas
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got a bit confusing at times when one of the characters kept having a name change. Otherwise, good read.
Charlene
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in this 7th book of the bad hair day series, Marla is excited to be introducing her fiance Dalton to her family at their Thanksgiving Day weekend reunion. the reunion was planned by Marla's aunt Polly in a plantation turned resort, Sugar Crest. Lots of family secrets are revealed and paranormal events occur. New interesting, complex and quirky characters are introduced in this story. There are times I was at the edge of my seat! I laughed and cried, could not put this book down! This story has t ...more
Karen
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I should have quite reading this book after the awful opening sentence. I didn't. Then I should have quit reading after the event coordinator named Champagne Glass was introduced. I didn't. I read this book to the end, thinking it might improve. It didn't. Whom do I bill for the lost couple of hours of my life?
Mary
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic series

I love Nancy Cohen’s Bad Hair Day Mysteries. Dead Roots is no exception. Murder, mystery, and a touch of supernatural, keeps amateur sleuth, Marla, searching for answers to a murder and a long-held family secret.

Highly recommended
Susan Moxley
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner with lots of twists and turns and lots of mystery and action to the very end of the book. It will keep you guessing to the very end of the book.
B.C. Brown
Beauty salon owner, Marla Shore, and her fiance, Detective Dalton Vail take a much-needed vacation to her family reunion at Sugar Crest Plantation Resort.

Marla is looking forward to introducing her fiance to her family when a surprise of secret ownership of the planation by her Aunt Polly (and the subsequent death of the same aunt) leads Marla and Dalton on a kooky goose chase including an odd duck ghost hunter on the loose and a series of mysterious deaths, past and present.

Major highlights in
Jamie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-feeling-it
The first in the series I'd picked up (second-hand book store) and I didn't even finish chapter 1. Usually I try to at least make it to chapter 3, but I could tell from the boatload of exposition being dropped right off the bat that this one was going in the recycling. But even in spite of the stilted dialogue and the blessings of the Exposition Fairy, I still might have made it if it weren't for the social events coordinator. Hate, hate, HATE pun names, and knew I wasn't going to enjoy this one ...more
carla
great book. easy ready. very entertaining
Lauren Risher
This was a quick read, but a bit boring, in my opinion.
Melissa
rated it it was ok
May 19, 2017
Toni
Jun 28, 2012

• Meerkats and Murder (Merry Wrath #11)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • Marshmallow Malice (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #5)
  • Sifting Through Clues (A Cookbook Nook Mystery 8)
  • Murder Wears a Veil (Two Sisters and a Journalist Book 7)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • Death at Dartmoor (Kathryn Ardleigh, #8)
  • The Irish Manor House Murder (Torrey Tunet #2)
  • Maltese Vulture Murder (Merry Wrath Mysteries Book 13)
  • Mean Girl Murder (Merry Wrath, #8)
  • A View to a Kilt (Liss MacCrimmon Mysteries #13)
  • Mystery Night Murder (Merry Wrath #10)
  • The Irish Cairn Murder (Torrey Tunet #3)
  • Three Widows and a Corpse (A Food Blogger Mystery Book 3)
  • Death Bakes a Pecan Pie (Fresh-Baked Mystery Book 14)
  • The Book Supremacy (Bibliophile Mystery, #13)
  • The Body in the Wetlands (A Jazzi Zanders Mystery #2)
  • Fatal Roots (County Cork #8)
Nancy J. Cohen writes the Bad Hair Day Mysteries featuring South Florida hairstylist Marla Vail. Titles in this series have been named Best Cozy Mystery by Suspense Magazine, won a Readers' Favorite Gold Medal and a RONE Award, earned first place in the Chanticleer International Book Awards and third place in the Arizona Literary Awards. Nancy's instructional guide, "Writing the Cozy Mystery," was ...more

Bad Hair Day Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Permed to Death (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #1)
  • Hair Raiser (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder by Manicure (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #3)
  • Body Wave (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #4)
  • Highlights to Heaven (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #5)
  • Died Blonde (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #6)
  • Perish by Pedicure (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #8)
  • Killer Knots (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #9)
  • Shear Murder (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #10)
  • Hanging by a Hair  (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #11)