Start by marking “Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)” as Want to Read:
Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)

Qualify

(The Atlantis Grail #1)

The Atlantis Grail has been optioned for development as a feature film series and/or TV series.

You have two options. You die, or you Qualify.

The year is 2047. An extinction-level asteroid is hurtling toward Earth, and the descendents of ancient Atlantis have returned from the stars in their silver ships to offer humanity help.

But there’s a catch.

They can only take a ti
Paperback, First, 600 pages
Published December 20th 2014 by Norilana Books

To ask other readers questions about Qualify, please sign up.
Vera UPDATE:

QUALIFY is now available on Amazon:

On Kobo:

More editions coming soon…more
UPDATE:

QUALIFY is now available on Amazon:

On Kobo:

More editions coming soon!

* * *
The book will soon be available for sale everywhere -- Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Apple iTunes, Smashwords, etc., in ebook format, and also in trade hardcover and trade paperback in your favorite bookstores! :-)

Thanks for asking, folks, and as Vitor replied below, you can certainly read it serialized on Wattpad, where it's currently up to chapter eighteen, and also on Write On:

Start your review of Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)
Sherwood Smith
The thing about Vera Nazarian's novels is that they never go where one expects. Some are more successful than others (and that sort of thing is completely subjective) but cookie-cutter, they are not.

Same with this YA dystopia. From the description it sounds like another Hunger Games or Divergent: teens fighting for their lives for a goal, as the world watches. But I think the relationships are largely smarter than those, especially Divergent, whose characters read to me like cardboard Types inst
Maria V. Snyder
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this book because I really liked the concept - a giant asteroid is heading for Earth and the people from Atlantis, who have left Earth thousands of years ago have returned to help out - but they can only rescue a million people. The powers that be decided those aged 12 to 19 can compete to qualify to be rescued. The main protagonists is a 16 year old girl who is smart and who pre-qualifies. There's lots of details about the training and her interactions with the other candidates. Th ...more
♚ ember

2.5 stars.

Ma cosa ho appena letto...?
This sentence in Italian perfectly sums up my reactions to this book. I guess the rating says it all, but unluckily, I'm not done rambling.

description

Dear Qualify,
I really, really, really wanted to like you. Like, seriously, really.
The premises were promising and the setting quite original and unique, somehow different from the others dystopian novels I read.
It sounded awesome, right? Right.
And I really wished this book would be awesome. But, guess what?
Qualify wasn't a
carlita_is_probably_reading
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book completely took me by surprise!!! At first I was comparing it to Red Rising...don't know why but it had that sort of feel. But damn!!!! This book was good! I can't wait to read the next book and be ready for book three when it drops in Feb!!! I cried at the end because I sure as hell wasn't expecting that crap!!! Come on Gee's you can do. Gee-two I know your ingenuity will overpower and hopefully prevail. PS: Aeson is out of this world hot..lol
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
This book took me by complete surprise! I found it as a free nook book and the concept intrigued me, so I decided to try it out. From the very beginning, the story and its characters captivated me. It was like Interstellar meets The Hunger Games meets Divergent. Quite the combination.

Since I tend to love stories that include a bit of real history or myth in them, this book was right up my alley. Obviously the story of Atlantis is age old and has been used in stories aplenty, but Nazarian's inter
Eureca Laurice
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
It’s a long story that could have been cut short.

I didn't skim, I swear by the old Gods and the new ones. Its part boring, I don't know if my friends here (in Goodreads) will read this, but I'm sure hell not.

The writing is atrocious, that on first few chapters they'll decide to dnfed this already. But not me, alas. Oh well, for the past few months, I am reading on cloud nine. All my read books is so good that it turns to just three stars in my shelf. I badly needed a not so well written book, yo
Dawn Moews
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I am not generally a fan of series because I usually find either the first book is clumsy in establishing the characters and plot and never gets into any real action or the subsequent books don't build well off the first one. However, I got an offer for this book free from for Amazon. I needed some good mindless escape literature, so I figured why not.

Well, I found this book to be entertaining and populated with fun characters. Gwen Lark is an awesome narrator. Her voice resonates in my head. S
Wealhtheow
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
An asteroid is speeding toward Earth, and its impact will cause humanity's extinction. Shortly before impact, space ships carrying the descendants of Atlanteans (it really was a real place on Earth! except then they left for another planet!) appear above major cities and alert everyone that they can carry 10 million people to safety. It's only a tiny fraction of Terrans, but at least it means those who are smartest, fittest, and most likely to thrive on Atlantis will be saved. Gwenevere Lark is ...more
Darla
Jan 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF. I just can't with this book. I was SO excited to read it. It's such an intriguing idea!! An asteroid headed to Earth! Ancient Atlanteans living on their own planet come to rescue a selection of people from Earth that Qualify! It sounds amazing!

Stop getting excited. It's not.

First of all, it's terribly written. I get that the narrator is a teenager, and I appreciate keeping it real with the types of language and wording an author uses for teenagers, but honestly, this feels so slapdash and u
Literary Mouse
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted this book to be amazing!

But it's not...and that's upsetting, because now, instead there's a black hole burned into where my imagination should be.

sigh I guess I should start at the beginning, well not quite the beginning but close enough. I don't understand why there had to almost a minute by minute description of Gwen's first weeks of classes. I would have stopped reading right then and there were it not for the thought that had gone into creating the 'science' side of the Atla
Rebecca
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing first installment in The Atlantis Grail Series!!! Even with 600 pages, I blew through it in 3 days, it was so good!
Vera has perfected her Storyteller voice and had me invested in the fate of the 4 Gees and all who are dear to them.
Several times, the plot twists had me seriously concerned about the outcome and when the unexpected actually did happen, all I could do was snuggle down and keep reading until I knew the Gees were all okay.
I bought the next 2 books in the Series af
Avril Martin
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I wanted to stay up late to read.
It reminded me a little bit of the Hunger Games in that teens have to compete - in this book it's to get a spot back to the planet Atlantis before a meteor destroys the Earth. The main character, Gwen, is a straight A student that hates PE, so how will she keep up when half of the training is physical? Her kindness and determination and nerdiness are all endearing.
Amber-louise
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW what a gripper!
Qualify is a dystopian, sci-fi and YA novel set in 2047 after the human race is all facing a fatalistic oncoming asteroid that will wipe out the Earth. The descendants of the historic and sunken Atlantis are the only hope as they offer to save humanity by taking them back to their new home on a different planet; the new Atlantis. What’s the catch? Only those between the ages of 12-19 can apply to be saved and they will ONLY be saved if they qualify.

We follow the protagonist G
M. Jones
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a ride! I think this is the first five star review I've given a book in a really long time, and it's definitely kicked me out of my low rating book slump. Like kicked me out of my slump with one of those awesome Jean Claude Van Damme roundhouse kicks.

And, what a headache I now have because I couldn't put down this book, but it was worth the two ibuprofen tablets I just took. Totally worth it.

This book was like an awesome mashup of Divergent, Ender's Game, and The Hunger Games, all rol
Seth Taplin
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
I really tried to read this book. It was a free download so I thought I'd give it a shot. Three sentences in and I felt like I was in for a "Hunger Games" remake. By the second screen, I couldn't take it anymore. It was hard to read. I understand writing for a young adults audience, and enjoy many of those books. But I do not understand writing like a teenager speaks. If your characters use teen vernacular to describe a boy as "hot", that's understandable; the third person narrative should find ...more
Amber M. McCarter
I'm not sure what it is about this book... It really isn't very well done - in terms of both content and composition - and yet, I feel compelled to continue reading this series. I could hardly put it down... I can't figure out why! It isn't terribly done, but certainly a far cry from quality literature, and not the sort of book I would normally be this hooked by... Baffling.
Rnolter
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The scene where Gwen levitates a shuttle is probably the most powerful prose I've read ever. I felt as I was there and could really feel the emotion of the situation. Fantastic read!!
Debra Lally
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Sci-fi Story

This is a page turned and hard to put down. Written from the view of a teenager, the world is on a collision course with disaster. Teenagers must qualify in order to leave Earth and join the Altantisian on their planet. This an enjoyable story.
Emilie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so binge read these. So it had hints of Hunger Games, but I feel most survival competition books do. I loved the family connection between the 4 G's. And of course there was a love interest 😂 It was a definite twist with the Alantians and that kept my interest. Now to read the rest! Hurry up and finish the 4th book!
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

Think Harry Potter meets The Hunger Games. With aliens.

It missed a half star because there was a concerted effort on the part of the author to establish a love triangle. Despite her best efforts, she didn't quite succeed! :)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kindle freebie 12/28/16. YA SF novel that's been getting pretty good reviews.
RUTH PERETS
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Hands down my favorite series! It's addicting! Extremely recommended to anyone who likes reading! Can't wait until the fourth book comes out!
Sara
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Got this as it was a freebie, one of the best free books ever. I bought the next two right away and waited v e r y impatiently for the fourth book. Not disparaging the author, just really wanted to know what happened next.
Good Series.
Sam
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

Good sci fi book. Never a dull moment.
Well written, good read.
I recommend this for all sci fi lovers.
Paul Reichman
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No doubt incredible and lots of fun

It was a thrilling read. As cliche as it is once I started I couldn't put it down and I look forward to reading the sequel
Polly P Rowan
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to stay up late to finish

Just the right blend of well drawn characters, action, and suspense. Definitely worth four stars and reading the next book.
Stephen Andrews
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

Excellent sci fi with a powerful young female from Earth who adapts quickly in amazing ways. The sci fi is almost as good as the storyline.
Andrea Strohmeyer
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
probably one of my favorite books now. Clear your schedule, it is hard to put down.
Christinabybarra
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. It is well written and it unfolded beautifully in my mind. You will truly forget you’re reading and become captivated in the world Vera builds.
Kiki
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
want to read the other two books in the series
Are you Red, Blue, Yellow or Green? 4 21 Mar 04, 2020 02:46AM
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 472} Qualify (The Atlantis Grail #1) by Vera Nazarian 39 194 Oct 05, 2015 06:52PM

• Brainwalker
  • Ice Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #1)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Darklight (Darklight, #1)
  • Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina, #1)
  • Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven (Harley Merlin, #1)
  • The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1)
  • The One and Only Ivan
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • The Zombie Room
  • Drum Beats, Heart Beats (Dancing Soul Trilogy, #3)
  • Night of the Rat
  • The Atlantis Girl (The Atlantis Saga #1)
  • The Octunnumi Fosbit Files Prologue
  • Assuming Names: A Con Artist's Masquerade
Vera Nazarian is a two-time Nebula Award Finalist, award-winning artist, and member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, a writer with a penchant for moral fables and stories of intense wonder, true love, and intricacy.

She immigrated to the USA from the former USSR as a kid, sold her first story at the age of 17, and since then has published numerous works in anthologies and magazine

The Atlantis Grail (4 books)
  • Compete (The Atlantis Grail, #2)
  • Win (The Atlantis Grail, #3)
  • Survive (The Atlantis Grail, #4)