Start by marking “Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)” as Want to Read:
Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)

Bonfire Night

(Lady Julia Grey #5.7)

Amateur sleuth Lady Julia Grey and her detective husband, Nicholas Brisbane, face their latest adventure in this novella by New York Times bestselling author Deanna Raybourn.

It's the autumn of 1890, and almost a year has passed since—much to their surprise—Lady Julia and Nicholas became parents. Just as the couple begins to adapt, a solicitor arrives with a strange bequest
Published November 3rd 2014 by Harlequin MIRA (first published November 1st 2014)

MRB
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Amazon tells me that three stars means "it's okay," and that concisely sums up my thoughts on this mildly engaging but highly forgettable novella.

My criticisms actually don't center on the length---or, more accurately, lack thereof :) For one thing, I think skilled writers can convey a great deal in relatively few pages. For another, I can't honestly claim I found this a compelling enough story to wish there had been more of it. It's not really a traditional whodunit with clues and suspects---j
Lady Wesley
Oh, how I love Lady Julia! Well, actually, I love Brisbane, her husband, one of the hottest heroes ever in a "clean" romance. Hats off to Deanna Raybourn for her creation.

In this very short novella, Brisbane has inherited a manor house from a total stranger, and when the family (Julia, Brisbane, Plum, Portia, young Jane, and baby Jack) arrive there, they discover that it's haunted -- by some rather inept ghosts. High-jinks and mystery ensue.

I mourn the demise of Brisbane and Lady Julia and hope
Allison
Nooooo! I just read on Raybourn's blog that this is going to be the last of Julia! I'm so sad. I was still hoping for more full-length novels in the future. Curse those publishers for tabling the series. Still, I'm thankful she wrote the novellas to help wrap it up for readers even though she had to publish them ebook only.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I absolutely adore this series, in fact I would go as far as to say it is my favorite historical mystery series out there and sadly, while the author has been working on other books, while all equally as fabulous, this series has been put on hold with just a few splattering of novellas here and there to tide us over.

Thankfully all those novellas live up to the rest of the series and have all been equally as wonderful as the actual books and of course, Bonfire Night is no exception.

I just love J
Snooty1
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Sigh... fully completed the series...not ready to say goodbye.
Amy Yingling
It was great to check in with the Brisbane's in this short story!
Caz
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it

The events of Bonfire Night take place towards the end of 1890, when young John Nicholas – Jack - (the baby discovered in the stables at Bellmont Abbey in Twelfth Night) is firmly ensconced in the Brisbane’s nursery.

One evening at the end of October, relaxing in their new London home with Portia and Plum, the Brisbanes receive a visit from a shady character who professes himself a solicitor. He informs Brisbane that he has inherited a country property by the name of Thorncross Hall. He
Sophia
This is the fourth of the holiday novellas in the Lady Julia Grey series. I have really enjoyed these lighter, shorter suspenses in the series that focus more on family and the tender relationship between Brisbane and Julia. It's fun how they take on a different holiday and how it was celebrated in the Victorian era.

This is a series that should be read in order as the character and romantic development are series arcs even if the mysteries are solved within each book.

The story opens when Julia
Jenny Q
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wish Raybourn would write more of this series. I really love and miss these characters.
May
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the last in the Lady Julia Grey series, and I have been putting off reading it because I don't want the series to end. I gave the novella 4 stars but would probably more honestly give it somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars if it weren't for the fact that it's the last story. The author wraps up most of the loose ends of the previous novella, but the story reads as if she wants the series to end as well. There isn't much of a plot, and the characters aren't as vibrant or witty or full of pe ...more
Josie Jaffrey
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Done.
Mari (Smut Duchess)
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another short but fun mystery with Lady Julie, Brisbane, Portia and Plum.

3.5 - 4.0 ***
Helen
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Deanna Raybourn Bonfire Night
This is a short story, the last in the traditional English holidays series (silent night, midsummer night, twelfth night and now bonfire night). At 56 pp it is not even a novella, and depends upon reading the previous stories, which are also greater appreciated if you have read the full novels, also in order. What a treat if you haven't discovered this author though! I read this as an ARC as well as purchased the ebook.
It is autumn 1890, amateur sleuth Victorian Lad
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, it's a Lady Julia/Brisbane book, so I'm there, obviously. To say that I am heartbroken that there won't be any more novels is this series is an understatement. On a personal level, I discovered this series about the time that my mother died, and in between meetings with lawyers and bankers I went to a bookstore to kill an hour. Deanna Raybourn had just done a signing there, so all her books were in stock, and my grief-drunk brain said "hey, that first one was pretty good" and promptly boug ...more
Linda Baker
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bonfire Night was a mixture of joy and sadness for me, as it is the end of a much-loved series (at least for now). I have greatly enjoyed all of the Lady Julia and Brisbane stories from Silent in the Grave onward.

Lady Julia and Brisbane are enjoying an evening with Julia's sister, Portia, and brother, Plum. It is late when a visitor arrives, claiming to be a solicitor with an unusual bequest. Brisbane is to inherit a country house from someone who is unknown to him. The catch is that they must t
Lorraine
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy Lady Julia Grey mysteries.
It felt good to be in Lady Julia's & Brisbane's company again. I have missed them. Now, of course, Lady Julia is Lady Julia Brisbane, and she and her husband are spending time with some of Lady Julia's family as the holidays are approaching. A message arrives for Nick, Lady Julia's husband, informing him that he has inherited a country house free & clear from someone whom he does not know. Nick Brisbane questions this gift. What takes place is humorous, nutty, and definitely questionable ...more
Lindap
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 / 4 Stars

Well, that sure was a mini novella. Even though it was short, it was a well put together story. Supposidly Brisbane has inherited a country estate because of his excellent work on a case that saved a female friend of the now deceased owner. Naturally Julie & Brisbane along with Portia and Plum head to the estate to see what it's all about. Let me just say I didn't figure out the reason for the deception, but the ending was good.

ETA: Second time 11/26/18
Wish Deanna Raybourn woul
Julie
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sorry to hear this is the last of the Lady Julia series, but I enjoyed this lighthearted novella in which everyone from the previous books comes together at a supposedly haunted house that Brisbane has inherited in the country. All is not as it seems though (par for the course in this series). There's a bittersweet feeling to this novella even though there's humor. Knowing it's the end, I appreciated some endearing moments and it ties up nicely at the end when we discover the truth behind the ha ...more
Roberta
Ultima delle novelle dedicate alla serie Lady Julia Grey! Peccato perché per quanto non particolarmente brillanti (sono raccontini, in fondo) erano l'ultimo filo che mi teneva legata a questa serie che mi è piaciuta moltissimo. Ora non mi rimane che decidere che cosa iniziare di nuovo della Raybourn!
Louisa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, really enjoyed reading this story! A bit sad, since we're not going to get anything more, but such a great story!
Susan
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Not up to par with the other Lady Julia mysteries. Disappointing, especially for the finale of the series.
Linniegayl
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
And with this I finish off my re-read of the Lady Julia Grey series. This was another enjoyable novella.
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, kindle
A short, quick read, yet not one lacking in a strong, interesting plot. I am so very sad that this is likely the end to Julia and Brisbane's adventures. :( I will miss this series so much.
Gail
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute story but I want more!

A nice little story about Julia, Brisbane and the crazy March family but I'm left wanting. I wish there was a new full length novel in the works!
Wendy
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nov-14
A great conclusion to the series - for now
Jen
Probably my favorite of the 4 novellas about Julia and Brisbane. They travel to a country house that Brisbane supposedly has inherited from someone he has never heard of, with the caveat that he must occupy the house from Halloween to Guy Fawkes Day/Bonfire Night or else the inheritance is forfeit. Understandably skeptical, he, Julia, Portia and Plum (and their kids and maids and nannies, etc.) go to the house to see if they can figure out what is going on. The townsfolk seem committed to trying ...more
Andrea O'Brien
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is it. I am officially out of Brisbane and Lady Julia stories. I am pretty sad that there aren't anymore but I do think that their story was told so I respect the author's choice.
This little novella is cute. The intrigue is more fun than mysterious as the "case" was easily solved. Really this story was just to wrap up the last piece of their story in an entertaining way.
I wouldn't say that this is a must-read but if you want an amusing story to occupy you for an hour or two then this one
Pamela
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It is always so wonderful to get to read more Deanna Raybourn (and more about my favorite enquiry agents, I miss Julia and Brisbane so much it's kind of pathetic). That said, for me these novellas haven't been as satisfying as the full novels. This one in particular felt at first drawn out and then rushed at the end, the mystery an afterthought rather than the driving force. But I loved the world-building, the dialogue, and getting to spend more time with the Marches and Brisbanes. I'm so sad th ...more
Kathy Martin
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella takes place on All Hallows' Eve when Brisbane inherits a haunted manor from a man he has never met. Julia, Portia, and Plum accompany him and all of them investigate the many hauntings and happenings. They bring along Portia's daughter Jane the Younger and their child John Nicholas Brisbane. It is all a complex plot orchestrated by Brisbane's very disreputable father which puts both Nicholas and Julia in danger but does finally cement the place of John Nicholas in their lives.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count for Bonfire Night by Deanna Raybourn 4 19 Jan 17, 2017 09:48PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 05, 2015 08:31AM
  • Star of the East (Lady Emily, #9.5)
  • A Pressing Engagement (Lady Darby Mystery, #4.5)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • Where the Dead Lie (Sebastian St. Cyr, #12)
  • His Spanish Bride
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #2)
  • The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist Deanna Raybourn is a 6th-generation native Texan. She graduated with a double major in English and history from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of one, Raybourn makes her home in Virginia. Her novels have been nominated for numerous awards including five RITAs, two RT Reviewers’ Choice awards ...more

Lady Julia Grey (5 books)
  • Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)
“Julia, why are you smiling?”

“Because,” I told him happily, “it’s only our first night in this house and we already have two mysteries to solve. A most excellent beginning.”
1 likes
“He smiled again. “Your reputation undoubtedly precedes you.”

I bristled. “I am not that curious!”
“You are curious as any cat, my love...”
1 likes