Start by marking “Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)” as Want to Read:
Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)

Bonfire Night

(Lady Julia Grey #5.7)

Amateur sleuth Lady Julia Grey and her detective husband, Nicholas Brisbane, face their latest adventure in this novella by New York Times bestselling author Deanna Raybourn.

It's the autumn of 1890, and almost a year has passed since—much to their surprise—Lady Julia and Nicholas became parents. Just as the couple begins to adapt, a solicitor arrives with a strange bequest
Published November 1st 2014 by Harlequin MIRA

Start your review of Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)
MRB
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Amazon tells me that three stars means "it's okay," and that concisely sums up my thoughts on this mildly engaging but highly forgettable novella.

My criticisms actually don't center on the length---or, more accurately, lack thereof :) For one thing, I think skilled writers can convey a great deal in relatively few pages. For another, I can't honestly claim I found this a compelling enough story to wish there had been more of it. It's not really a traditional whodunit with clues and suspects---j
Lady Wesley
Oh, how I love Lady Julia! Well, actually, I love Brisbane, her husband, one of the hottest heroes ever in a "clean" romance. Hats off to Deanna Raybourn for her creation.

In this very short novella, Brisbane has inherited a manor house from a total stranger, and when the family (Julia, Brisbane, Plum, Portia, young Jane, and baby Jack) arrive there, they discover that it's haunted -- by some rather inept ghosts. High-jinks and mystery ensue.

I mourn the demise of Brisbane and Lady Julia and hope
Allison
Nooooo! I just read on Raybourn's blog that this is going to be the last of Julia! I'm so sad. I was still hoping for more full-length novels in the future. Curse those publishers for tabling the series. Still, I'm thankful she wrote the novellas to help wrap it up for readers even though she had to publish them ebook only.
Caz
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it

The events of Bonfire Night take place towards the end of 1890, when young John Nicholas – Jack - (the baby discovered in the stables at Bellmont Abbey in Twelfth Night) is firmly ensconced in the Brisbane’s nursery.

One evening at the end of October, relaxing in their new London home with Portia and Plum, the Brisbanes receive a visit from a shady character who professes himself a solicitor. He informs Brisbane that he has inherited a country property by the name of Thorncross Hall. He
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I absolutely adore this series, in fact I would go as far as to say it is my favorite historical mystery series out there and sadly, while the author has been working on other books, while all equally as fabulous, this series has been put on hold with just a few splattering of novellas here and there to tide us over.

Thankfully all those novellas live up to the rest of the series and have all been equally as wonderful as the actual books and of course, Bonfire Night is no exception.

I just love J
Kaethe Douglas
The series arc doesn't take unexpected twists, so you could pick up anywhere without it being to spoilery. But there is a clear and explicit chronology for the series, and anyone who is planning to read them all should probably read them in the suggested order.

Luckily I bought this: it's likely to be a reread every Halloween, since it is chock full of ghosts. As in the novels, the mystery is there more for plot than as a real puzzle. The novellas tend more to comedy than drama, and this one just
Snooty1
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Sigh... fully completed the series...not ready to say goodbye.
Amy Yingling
It was great to check in with the Brisbane's in this short story!
Teresa
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I was shocked to see this marked as unread, and I figured it was an error. But once I started the beginning just to see, the more I knew I hadn't read it. So I dropped everything and read it quickly. It was the perfect time of year for this book, and I really enjoyed catching up with Julia and Brisbane and all the quirky side characters.
Sophia
This is the fourth of the holiday novellas in the Lady Julia Grey series. I have really enjoyed these lighter, shorter suspenses in the series that focus more on family and the tender relationship between Brisbane and Julia. It's fun how they take on a different holiday and how it was celebrated in the Victorian era.

This is a series that should be read in order as the character and romantic development are series arcs even if the mysteries are solved within each book.

The story opens when Julia
Jenny Q
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wish Raybourn would write more of this series. I really love and miss these characters.
May
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the last in the Lady Julia Grey series, and I have been putting off reading it because I don't want the series to end. I gave the novella 4 stars but would probably more honestly give it somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars if it weren't for the fact that it's the last story. The author wraps up most of the loose ends of the previous novella, but the story reads as if she wants the series to end as well. There isn't much of a plot, and the characters aren't as vibrant or witty or full of pe ...more
Lynn Horton
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
(Below is my review for Twelfth night, the previous novella in the series. My thoughts apply to Bonfire Night as well.)

I've rated the previous installments in this book at three or four stars, but this is where things start to unravel for me. When I purchased Bonfire Night, I was unaware that it was a novella. I. HATE. NOVELLAS. It's as if the author and publisher doesn't want to go to the trouble of creating an entire story, so they produce a short sotry.

A novella that occupies me for an hour o
Josie Jaffrey
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TheMadHatter
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars.

The final (short) story in this series. This was written in 2014 and I think I read that the author has said it will be the final entry in the Brisbane-Julia world.

While I think it is time, it is a little sad to say goodbye to characters you have loved. However, at least we got three short stories at the end to give (some degree) of closure on the characters.

Short stories are a bit of a hit and miss with me and while this was okay and the ending was (unrealistically)
Mari (Smut Duchess)
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another short but fun mystery with Lady Julie, Brisbane, Portia and Plum.

3.5 - 4.0 ***
Jessica
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Done.
Helen
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Deanna Raybourn Bonfire Night
This is a short story, the last in the traditional English holidays series (silent night, midsummer night, twelfth night and now bonfire night). At 56 pp it is not even a novella, and depends upon reading the previous stories, which are also greater appreciated if you have read the full novels, also in order. What a treat if you haven't discovered this author though! I read this as an ARC as well as purchased the ebook.
It is autumn 1890, amateur sleuth Victorian Lad
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, it's a Lady Julia/Brisbane book, so I'm there, obviously. To say that I am heartbroken that there won't be any more novels is this series is an understatement. On a personal level, I discovered this series about the time that my mother died, and in between meetings with lawyers and bankers I went to a bookstore to kill an hour. Deanna Raybourn had just done a signing there, so all her books were in stock, and my grief-drunk brain said "hey, that first one was pretty good" and promptly boug ...more
Linda Baker
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bonfire Night was a mixture of joy and sadness for me, as it is the end of a much-loved series (at least for now). I have greatly enjoyed all of the Lady Julia and Brisbane stories from Silent in the Grave onward.

Lady Julia and Brisbane are enjoying an evening with Julia's sister, Portia, and brother, Plum. It is late when a visitor arrives, claiming to be a solicitor with an unusual bequest. Brisbane is to inherit a country house from someone who is unknown to him. The catch is that they must t
Lorraine
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy Lady Julia Grey mysteries.
It felt good to be in Lady Julia's & Brisbane's company again. I have missed them. Now, of course, Lady Julia is Lady Julia Brisbane, and she and her husband are spending time with some of Lady Julia's family as the holidays are approaching. A message arrives for Nick, Lady Julia's husband, informing him that he has inherited a country house free & clear from someone whom he does not know. Nick Brisbane questions this gift. What takes place is humorous, nutty, and definitely questionable. Lady J ...more
Julie
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sorry to hear this is the last of the Lady Julia series, but I enjoyed this lighthearted novella in which everyone from the previous books comes together at a supposedly haunted house that Brisbane has inherited in the country. All is not as it seems though (par for the course in this series). There's a bittersweet feeling to this novella even though there's humor. Knowing it's the end, I appreciated some endearing moments and it ties up nicely at the end when we discover the truth behind the ha ...more
Lindap
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 / 4 Stars

Well, that sure was a mini novella. Even though it was short, it was a well put together story. Supposidly Brisbane has inherited a country estate because of his excellent work on a case that saved a female friend of the now deceased owner. Naturally Julie & Brisbane along with Portia and Plum head to the estate to see what it's all about. Let me just say I didn't figure out the reason for the deception, but the ending was good.

ETA: Second time 11/26/18
Wish Deanna Raybourn would wr
Linniegayl
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
And with this I finish off my re-read of the Lady Julia Grey series. This was another enjoyable novella.
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, kindle
A short, quick read, yet not one lacking in a strong, interesting plot. I am so very sad that this is likely the end to Julia and Brisbane's adventures. :( I will miss this series so much.
Wendy
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nov-14
A great conclusion to the series - for now
Gail
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute story but I want more!

A nice little story about Julia, Brisbane and the crazy March family but I'm left wanting. I wish there was a new full length novel in the works!
Susan
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Not up to par with the other Lady Julia mysteries. Disappointing, especially for the finale of the series.
Louisa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, really enjoyed reading this story! A bit sad, since we're not going to get anything more, but such a great story!
D. Starr
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens - Adult
From Halloween to Guy Fawkes Day

Novella
No memorable harsh language
No steamy sex, although the main characters clearly enjoy each other's company
No violence but plenty of action

Always enjoyable is Deanna Raybourn's sense of humor which is injected at just the right times.

Plot no spoilers:
Brisbane is informed that he has inherited a stately home in a small village. When he and Julia arrive, they find it is quite obviously haunted. In fact, too obviously--so what is really going on and why?
The pa
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page count for Bonfire Night by Deanna Raybourn 4 19 Jan 17, 2017 09:48PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 05, 2015 08:31AM

• Revenge of the Barbary Ghost (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #2)
  • A Treacherous Performance (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #5)
  • Curse of the Gypsy (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #3)
  • Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #1)
  • Star of the East (Lady Emily, #9.5)
  • A Scandalous Deception (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #2)
  • A Sinister Establishment (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #6)
  • A Nefarious Engagement (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #4)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • Lady Anne and the Menacing Mystic (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries Book 4)
  • A Pressing Engagement (Lady Darby Mystery, #4.5)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • An Infamous Betrayal (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #3)
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • A Brazen Curiosity (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #1)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • The Bridal Strain: Emily and Colin’s Wedding (Lady Emily, #3.5)
  • That Silent Night: A Lady Emily Christmas Story
New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist Deanna Raybourn is a 6th-generation native Texan. She graduated with a double major in English and history from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of one, Raybourn makes her home in Virginia. Her novels have been nominated for numerous awards including two RT Reviewers’ Choice awards, the Agatha ...more

Lady Julia Grey (5 books)
  • Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)