Start by marking “These Are The Voyages: TOS Season Two (These Are the Voyages, #2)” as Want to Read:
These Are The Voyages: TOS Season Two (These Are the Voyages, #2)

These Are The Voyages: TOS Season Two

(These Are The Voyages #2)

In the 1980s Gene Roddenberry and Robert H. Justman gave Marc Cushman permission to write the definitive history of the first Star Trek. they backed their stamp of approval by providing documentation never before shared with the public. These Are The Voyages, published in three volumes -- one designated for each season of TOS (The Original Series) -- will take you back in ...more
Published March 2014 by Jacobs/Brown Media Group

To ask other readers questions about These Are The Voyages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Are The Voyages

Start your review of These Are The Voyages: TOS Season Two (These Are the Voyages, #2)
Robert Greenberger
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marc Cushman had access to all the files, memos, and notes that were retained by Gene Roddenberry for the series' second season. Cushman went further, accessing interviews from across the media and even the earliest fanzines, in an effort to properly reflect what happened, when, and by whom. Apparently, as thoroughly researched as this is, it remains a flawed work according to some. I didn't realize there were such sentiments until recently and then realized there are sites adding to the lore. ...more
Jarrah
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Another solid, thoroughly-researched volume that will tell you practically everything you need to know about the creation of every episode in Star Trek: The Original Series' second season, as well as audience and media reception.

As a long-time Trek fan, when I rewatch an episode I often find myself wondering what the rationale was for a particular decision in the script, plot, costumes, etc., or asking who made that decision? Cushman's These Are The Voyages answers those questions handily. In
C.J. Bunce
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published online at BORG.com.

Marc Cushman’s second volume of These Are the Voyages, his unprecedented treatise on Star Trek, the original series, is an improvement on his first volume, reviewed last year here at borg.com, which was a thorough history of the landmark series’ first season. But where Volume 1 was a good read–an assemblage of facts from multiple sources not easily obtainable otherwise and an accounting of television history from 1966–Volume 2 qualifies a great read. With
Linda
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It was just as informative and entertaining as the Season 1 volume. I'll be starting Season 3 the next time I'm in a waiting room or movie theater. (I can't be the only person who deliberately arrives early at the movies to maximize reading time, right?)

Some of the glitches I mentioned in the Kindle version of the first volume have been cleared up. The only thing that would make it better would be color pictures instead of black and white-- though there's a certain appropriateness to the lack of
Reuben Herfindahl
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure Star Trek has ever had a "definative" history series of books before. Doctor Who did in the 90's with the Howe, Stammers and Walker Handbooks, as well as their 60's, 70's and 80's books. Maybe you can only write a really great history when the series is out of the heights of popularity.

Anyway, it's a HEAVY read (literally, the book weighs about as much as a college chemistry text), but a must read for any serious fan of the original series.
Derrick
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the first installment, and love the Season Two version as well. Can't wait for the book about Season Three. A must-read for any true Star Trek fan.
Elliot Kravitz
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating inside look at the making of one of the best tv series of all time (this volume focusing on the second season and the fan campaign to keep the show on the year for a third). But it’s for the true fan (or the television historian). The details are a double edged sword and are both the book’s advantages and disadvantages.
John
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great follow up to the first volume. More of the same in depth coverage of the development of each episode, along with some chapters on other topics dealing with the second season, including the letter writing campaign that saved the show from cancellation after the second season.
Robert Sparrenberger
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As with the first installment covering the first season of Star Trek, this one was just as good with the behind the scenes look at each episode and how it came to be.
Definitely a book for Star Trek fans and highly recommended.
Kevin Duncan
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic volume in an utterly essential series!
George
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, good writing makes this such a better book than it has any right to be!
Peter Jansens
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
That not all has been said about Star Trek is proven by this book by Marc Cushman and, like all good historical studies, it nearly took us 50 years to finally come closer to the truth. For about 5 decades all people who have been involved in the making of the series have had their say, rehashing the same old anecdotes and rumours, a certain Mr Shatner on top.

The rumour that Trek was a failure in the ratings is debunked by Cushman who actually looked them up. In those days the guest stars were
Dindy
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle
I found this book impossible to put down. It's a wonderful tribute to a show that has made a huge impact on my life, and to everyone involved with it. Even the guest stars talk about what a wonderful experience it was for them to be on Star Trek, and how even now they are still recognized for the parts they played.

Cushman describes the show from every angle, through interviews with cast members, fans, and people involved with the production, articles, advertising, production notes, script notes.
Jeanne Thornton
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a bittersweet one. It covers the "good season" of Star Trek, and provides legit insight into exactly why it was so good: basically the troika of Gene Coon, Bob Justman, and DC Fontana, in a series of acerbic memos all lovingly reproduced, destroyed one another's egos and constructed taut, funny, weird scripts from the ashes of failed premises, all under the increasingly paranoid/megalomaniacal supervision of Gene Roddenberry and his requests to make the scripts more weird and ...more
Terry Collins
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second volume of Marc Cushman's labor of love regarding Star Trek: The Original Series is as amazing as the first ... if you have any interest in Classic Trek, or in how television was produced and brought to air in the 1960s, you will love reading these books.

I have nothing but praise, and I'm going to basically reprint my review of Volume One (Season 1) with minor changes to reflect this second book / (Season 2).

"Words fail me ... but I'll do my humble best. What you have here is the
Beverly Diehl
This is a must-have for fans of the show, or even those interested in the workings of television, the pop culture of the time. (Noting in passing, I KNEW they must have had to clear legal with Robert Heinlein to do The Trouble with Tribbles, who sounds like he was very gracious about it.)

It continues with a very deep drill-down on each show, a little bit about the scripts that didn't pass muster, the guest stars, and ends with the incredible letter-writing campaign by fans that helped convince
James
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you liked the first book, then reading this one is a no-brainer. I've always loved this series but I was too young to experience it when it first aired: these books take you back to that time. In this second volume, Mr. Cushman does another great job of describing the story evolution and the filming process for each of the second season episodes. He gives details of behind the scenes conflicts between the two Genes, Coon and Roddenberry, and between the show's producers and the studio. ...more
Rich Meyer
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Another excellent book in this series on Star Trek's original TV show. I honestly can't wait to read the third volume.

I gotta say though that I have a hard time seeing how Trek lasted as long as it did; Gene Roddenberry really hamstrung himself with his ego. I had read brief glimpses of that in some of the cast memoirs, but if this hadn't been such a revolutionary concept, it would have been DOA after season one.

This book has the same, balanced attention to detail as the previous volume.
Dan
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Above all else, this book is a lot of fun to read. Even the most ardent Star Trek fan will find something new and exciting about their favorite entertainment in the pages of These Are the Voyages. And, as mentioned above, season 3 has even more to talk about. I am very fascinated to learn more about that troubled season, and I am very much looking forward to the third and final volume of These Are the Voyages: TOS.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2014/09/t...
Joe Siegler
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say how much I enjoyed this book. As with the first one, it taught me a lot that I never knew about the making of Star Trek. It got into a lot of detail on the struggles with the authors, the network, and do usual bugaboo money. If you're A fan of the original Star Trek, and even if you have read numerous making out books and heard stories, you owe it to yourself to read this series. I've been a fan for my entire life and I learned a lot from these.
Michael Hanscom
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As with the first, an absolutely mind-boggling amount of information and detail covering the creation of the second season of Star Trek's original series. If you're the kind of hardcore trek geek that might find this behind-the-scenes stuff interesting, these books are the top of the stack. Looking forward to the third volume when it's released.
Joseph Rosensteel
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative book on what happened behind the scenes

The level of detail can be somewhat overwhelming, especially when it comes to the frequent dissection of the ratings. There are also parts that are repetitive. The book does do an excellent job dissecting the development notes between the writers, producers, and the network executive.
Daniel
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This follow up to Volume 1 recaps all of the second season episodes of Star Trek, the original series. Like volume #1 ,it's an essential read for all ST fans. Filled with incredible detail, it also exposes the widely believed myths that the show had low ratings and had did not have a huge fan following from the get go.
Gregory
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read all about it! Star Trek picked up for a third season!

Man! Finding out and learning about each episode of Star Trek is so exciting! I can't wait for the third book. Already have it to read it!
This is an excellent series!
Presley Acuna
Gritty technical and anecdotal detail behind the making of every episode of ST TOS. Includes backstories, period context, budgets, evolution of stories from drafts to screenplay, etc... Very satisfying if you are a Star Trek loving, obsessive completist!
Eric Hart
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-studies
Just as he did in the first volume, Cushman gives a detailed account of the production of Star Trek's second season, and he doesn't shy away from controversy. Again, a must for those interested not only in ST, but also in the history of tv production.
Mark
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Feeding my inner nerd.
Chris Stutts
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic if you liked the Steven Whitfield book that was written after season 2, or the Robert Justman book that came out about 10 years ago.
Rob
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
fantastic, fascinating stuff - the gold standard of TOS production research.
Edward Fenner
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Star Trek fans
Outstanding reference books for fans of the original Star Trek series on television.

• The Liberation of Paris: How Eisenhower, de Gaulle, and von Choltitz Saved the City of Light
  • Venice: A New History
  • Pink Floyd All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track
  • Theodore Roosevelt for the Defense: The Courtroom Battle to Save His Legacy
  • The Last Battle: The Classic History of the Battle for Berlin
  • Doctor Who: The Wheel In Space
  • The Race Underground: Boston, New York, and the Incredible Rivalry That Built America’s First Subway
  • The Routes Not Taken: A Trip Through New York City's Unbuilt Subway System
  • Lair of the White Worm
  • Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #1)
  • Han Solo's Revenge (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #2)
  • The High Druid's Blade (The Defenders of Shannara, #1)

These Are The Voyages (4 books)
  • These Are The Voyages: TOS Season One (These Are the Voyages, #1)
  • These Are the Voyages - TOS: Season Three (These Are the Voyages, #3)
  • These Are the Voyages: Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek in the 1970s, Volume 1 (1970-75)
“Bruce Mars said, “It’s been 45 years ago and I still get 5-to-10 fan letters every single month from people who were born only 20 to 30 years ago. Just the other day I got an envelope in the mail with a couple photos of Finnegan, and the fellow asked me to sign them. And get this, he’s 17! He says he and his friends watch the show on DVD and he says, ‘We say the lines along with you.’ But everything is connected. When something is meaningful, it just stays alive.” (113a)” 0 likes
“I am pleased to note on Page 72 that Captain Kirk finally prevails because he is a good kisser. Physical prowess, intellect, will-power -- all these are of no avail when compared with the strength of Captain Kirk’s bee-stung lips. With lips such as his, one could win the universe. And lose a series.” 0 likes