Start by marking “History of Joseph Smith by His Mother: Revised and Enhanced” as Want to Read:
History of Joseph Smith by His Mother: Revised and Enhanced

History of Joseph Smith by His Mother: Revised and Enhanced

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  4,648 Ratings  ·  377 Reviews
Amidst confusion over several versions of this mother's account of her son, Mormon prophet Joseph Smith, his 5th great grandson for the family foundation reaffirms this version developed in 1996 by Scot & Maurine Proctor, "who restored Lucy's language and feeling through verification with the original notebook."
Published August 18th 1996 by Bookcraft Pubs (first published June 1st 1844)

To ask other readers questions about History of Joseph Smith by His Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of Joseph Smith by His Mother

Beth
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Okay, can I just say that I ROCK for finishing this book? It took a lot of perseverence, lemme tell ya.

I picked it up at the library last November or so. “Hey,” I thought to myself. “This would be a good thing to read right now, with all the celebrations of Joseph Smith going on for the 200th anniversary of his birth.” (Remember that? Yeah, it was kind of awhile ago.)

Despite my slow-going approach to reading the book, it was interesting and, for the most part, very readable.

Mother Smith includes
Trinna
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book written by Joseph's Mother, Lucy. It is a wonderful book depicting the joys and sorrows of the Smith family from her view. I was a bit surprised that the title is named the History of Joseph Smith, as it seems to hold more of a history of the entire Smith family. Joseph was mentioned much less than I thought he would be. That is not bad, just different than I pictured. It was nice reading thru Lucy's eyes and picturing her viewpoint. She was a very loving, faithful devo ...more
Robin
This wasn't really what I expected. It was however really good! I'm glad to have read it. It didn't have all of Church history and all the events. It seemed more of Lucy's memories. I read stuff I didn't know, more about the Smith family and all of Joseph's siblings. Lucy was a spunky little lady and wasn't afraid to speak up! Impressive.
Kate
The Preface to the book is clear that there was circumstances in the life of Lucy Mack Smith that may have rendered portions of the account inaccurate (e.g. her age when it was transcribed), but by and large this book gives satisfactory and intimate view of the Smith family.

Some things I found interesting were:
Lucy Mack Smith did not seem to favor Joseph Smith Jun. in the account. Though he was called as the prophet, she did not make him the 'star' so to speak.

Another think that interested me wa
Cindy Phillips
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I can honestly say this is one of my favorite books. The testimony of Joseph Smith from his mother is much more real to me because I am a mother myself. I can't imagine watching my child go through all the things that he did. It seems to me that his family would be the first to abandon him if he were lying. They went through so many trials as well as the prophet just by being related to him. This book strengthened my testimony of Joseph Smith and was very informational about what happened in the ...more
Jaylene
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fresh new view of events in the early Church. It was interesting to read about Lucy Mack Smith - I think she's somewhat of an unsung hero. What a spitfire!
Dan
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mother Smith's memoirs have been essential reading for LDS members for over a century. In this edition the editors have utilized an original manuscript neglected by previous editors to bring her narration more into line with her own dictation. Lucy Mack Smith's voice clearly comes through, and the work is well annotated with chapter notes.

If you want to learn about the religious atmosphere in early to mid nineteenth century America, then you should put down the textbook. Lay aside the secondary
Jill
I have wanted to read this book for many years and since I am teaching the Doctrine and Covenants to my primary class this year, I thought that this would be the perfect time to study the life of Joseph Smith, as seen through his mother's eyes. I was unprepared for what ended up being a heart-wrenching, inspiring and faith-promoting experience. Why had I never pondered more on what it must have been like for Joseph's mother? What kind of a woman must she have been to have raised a prophet of God ...more
Cailean
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing testimony-building book, detailing many events in the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. The way his mother writes is compelling and her descriptions and explanations are vivid. She starts off with the history of some of her own family members, which are both heartbreaking and fascinating. Most of the book, however, focuses on Joseph's childhood and events before during and after the Sacred Grove experience. I do wish there were less gaps in time, especially during his life as Prophet, bu ...more
Greg
I read this biographical narrative about the Prophet Joseph Smith shortly after returning home from a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I wanted to know more about him, and starting with the recollections and observations of his mother seemed like a good start. I wasn't wrong.

Clearly, this is not a professional biography, and is potentially subject to all of the biases, inaccuracies, and other problems that go with what is essentially a collection of memories. However,
Lori Bond
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. As an LDS member I am fascinated by the life of our first Prophet. This book really added to my testimony. There were parts that made me feel very upset at the things the Prophet and his family and all the Saints of that Era had to go through. I was in tears for the sorrow I know his mother felt from the loss of so many children and grandchildren and a few of their wives not to mention the loss of her husband. At the very end she gives her testimony. It was so powerful I just ...more
Josephine
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a new hero and her name is Lucy Mack Smith. I had no idea how awesome she was. And her family. Wow.
The one complaint I have with this book is that the title is misleading. I thought I was going to learn more about Joseph Smith, but this was actually more about the whole Smith family as well as the history of the church. I actually did not learn anything new about Joseph.
However, I really came to appreciate his family and the struggles of the early church. The chapter towards the end that
Trish
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while I was in college, but had a desire to go back and read it again now that I'm a mother. Though I'm very familiar with the events of the restoration, there were a number of things that I didn't know and/or had forgotten.

The entire Smith family (and nearly all of the early members of the LDS Church) were such incredible people. The trials they endured were so hard for me to even read about. I can't imagine having actually lived them.

I loved the footnotes added throughout the
Wendy
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With all the tragedy, hell, misery, and death that Joseph and his family went through, you'd think he'd recant everything and say "Never mind, I made all of this stuff up; I don't want all of this trouble", if the church wasn't true. They continued on in their testimonies because the truth was restored to the earth. How could they deny it? This is one thing this account from his mother re-affirmed to me...the testimony that Jesus Christ's Church was restored through this great prophet. I read th ...more
Katie Bastian
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is incredible!! It has brought church history to life for me. It blows my mind how much these people all had to endure. I learned a lot of things I'd never heard before-like the fact that Samuel Smith died a month after Joseph and Hyrum, from a fever that came as a result of over exertion trying to get away from the mob that killed his brothers. So really, that day killed three of the Smith brothers.

I have such a respect for Lucy Mack Smith-she was called a "prophetess" and received so
Mariel
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my most favorite book of all time. Lucy Mack Smith is a natural author. She's so talented, strong, opinionated, sensitive...I really loved this lady after reading this book. There is so much to the life of Joseph Smith that we don't hear in church. We hear mostly the basic, watered down version of stories. This is an accurate account of all the awesome happenings in Joseph's lives...but with 10 times the details. This is the abridged version, which I've heard that some prefer...bec ...more
Laurie Dewberry
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, faith
I got this book with my free iPad Deseret Book app, and thought I'd give it a try. Holy cow! I could not put this book down, and read it in two days. I had heard a lot of pieces of this history of course in many lessons over the years, but never like this. I think every member of the LDS church should read this history. I couldn't help but cry my eyes out a couple times as I read because of the sheer emotion and heartache. After reading this, I will certainly add Lucy Mack Smith to my list of he ...more
Daren
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pages of this history are filled with an honest and love filled account of Joseph Smith's history which will bring an honest reader closer to an understanding of the love that flowed from the Smith family for the gospel of Jesus Christ. This history by Lucky Mack Smith does not lack inaccuracies, as opposed to a polished, technical, detail oriented account which must be left for academia. Surely each of these types of historical literature has its place, but this account will give a reader a ...more
Bryan
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book written by Joseph Smiths’ mother gives a great supplementary view of the life of Joseph Smith. Having read much by and about Joseph Smith most of the book was old news. The things that did stick out were how Joseph Smiths experience affected the lives of his family members. The large amount of persecution that Joseph Smith faced was fully lived and felt by his family members.
Grandma
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved hearing about the Prophet Joseph Smith from his mother. She gives an up front view of what was happening in their family from the time Joseph was a little boy. It is so neat that he came from good ancestors who were religious. It is wonderful how his family supported him from the beginning and enjoyed sitting around together in the evening discussing the things he was learning from angels and from the Book of Mormon.
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book before and loved learning of LDS history as seen through the eyes of one amazing little woman, Lucy Mack Smith. She also gives insight into the Prophet Joseph Smith that isn't found elsewhere.
Tom Seely
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a very good book about the Prophet Joseph Smith.Who better to write a book about the Prophet then his own Mother.My Testimony has been strengthened to night after finishing this book.I strongly suggest this book.So go read it!
Joanne
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved getting to know Lucy as well as Joseph Smith and his whole family better when I read this book. There were some incredible insights I gained. I also appreciated the notes added to this recent edition.
Sue
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much from this book about the era in which Joseph Smith lived. My testimony of him has grown stronger knowing what is family went through to bring the gospel forward. An excellent source for anyone wanting to know more about the Prophet and his family.
Brian Smith
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Loved it Loved it Loved it. Awesome first person accounts of many of the times in the Prophet's life.
Randy
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever think your life is hard...read this book.
Reggie
I enjoyed reading about Joseph from his mother's perspective. Especially during his early years as that's when all the details are shared.
Crystal Souter
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still reading this book but I've learned so much already about the awesome prophet Joseph Smith and what his life was really like. Good stuff.
Heatherterrybell
Took me five years to read but it was worth it!! I had a hard time reading some because it was so sad, but I learned a lot of new things.
Jodielayton
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i learned more about who joseph smith really was. No one knows better than mom
Lucy! 2 29 Mar 10, 2012 04:58PM
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Howard W. Hunter
  • Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • The Great Apostasy
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)
  • The Other Side of Heaven
  • To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Spencer W. Kimball
Lucy Mack Smith was the mother of Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Latter Day Saint movement. She is most noted for writing an award-winning memoir: Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith, the Prophet, and His Progenitors for Many Generations. She was an important leader of the movement during the life of Joseph.
More about Lucy Mack Smith...
“In 1761, we moved to the town of Marlow, where we remained until we had four children. When we moved there it was no other than a desolate and dreary wilderness. Only four families resided within forty miles. Here I was thrown into a situation to appreciate more fully the talents and virtues of my excellent wife; for, as our children were deprived of schools, she assumed the charge of their education, and performed the duties of an instructress as none, save a mother, is capable of. Precepts accompanied with examples such as hers, were calculated to make impressions on the minds of the young, never to be forgotten.” 1 likes