Start by marking “Requiem's Song (Dawn of Dragons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Requiem's Song (Dawn of Dragons, #1)

Requiem's Song

(Dawn of Dragons #1)

Weredragons, men call them. Monsters. Cursed ones. People who can turn into beastly reptiles.

In an ancient world just rising from darkness, they are everywhere. Some wander the plains with clans of mammoth hunters. Others are born in riverside huts. Some live across the ocean where seafaring tribes are discovering the secrets of bronze and writing in clay. Everywhere their
Published April 1st 2014 by Moonclipse (first published March 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Requiem's Song, please sign up.
Kay I'm at the 43% mark and something good just happened. I think. It will let me make a bunch of bad poop jokes about Laira anyway (since she just…moreI'm at the 43% mark and something good just happened. I think. It will let me make a bunch of bad poop jokes about Laira anyway (since she just crawled through a pile of mammoth poop). If all else fails, we can rejoice in this shitty deus ex machina.(less)

Matt Xhignesse
These notes apply pretty much for the whole series.

Some good things:
- Daniel Arenson can make a battle feel very alive and exciting - lots of action and imaginative description of how a battle might play out.
- The concept for the series, with people who are persecuted because they can shift between a human and dragon form, is rich with potential and pretty interesting.
- The description of demons and dragons was quite visually stimulating, I could definitely see these creatures.

That is all.

Serio
Jonathan Edward
Jun 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read of Daniel Arenson, and it will be the last. Just because you throw words together with a little bit of dragons and magic doesn't make a fantasy artist, and Arenson is no artist.

Too much violence, too little plot, too much emotion, not enough character development. The events are not believable, the script is filled with discrepancies. There are details that do not make sense, for example saying that someone was punched in the cheek but then in the next sentence t
Susan Victoria
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
Excellent Plot!

The title didn’t suggest anything to me at all in the beginning but as I read the book it became clear to me that it was a song of freedom for the weredragons. This was my first fantasy read and I’m not disappointed. I tend to read books that leans closer to reality and shy away from books that are difficult to imagine or out of my comfort zone. For the first half of the book I was hooked on to the different imagery and characters in the book, but after that I was terribly disappo
Jack Doughty
I'm not sure what to think about this book, like many of the other reviewers here.

Although I read this book in one sitting, it was mainly because I had a seven-hour train journey to get through, and, honestly, the writing is fairly decent, for the most part.

There are several other good parts of the story:
- the idea is very unique. People who can turn into dragons is something that hasn't been done often before and, unlike other reviewers, I feel that the hatred towards them isn't that unrealis
A.J. Martinez
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantaly-love
Daniel Arenson became my favorite fantasy author since the day I read "song of Dragons"
I think even if you did not read the first trilogy you can still love this new one.
The story sounds very prehistoric. Rocs, Sabertooth tigers and I havent seen mammoths yet but I am sure they will appear in the next book.

This the beginning of the Vir Requis and how built their empire. Five dragons joined forces to create a home for those who can grow wings, breath fire and fly as dragons. It is really intere
Kimberly
Jun 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jess
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m really glad I started this series. There could be a bit more back story but the action and the storyline are gripping and make you want to know what’s going to happen to the main characters. I’m impressed by the concept and how the author has brought so many magical creatures together and yet made them very distinct in their positions in the story. I’m diving straight into the second book.
Raivan's Nest
I enjoyed this series, the world is great and the concept of weredragons sucked me right in. I'm a huge fan of the dragonlore of Warcraft and these books are very similar in terms of Demon Wars and Dragons hidden in human form. It's hard to say what I love about it without giving spoilers so I'll just have to say that although I'm about to have a whine about what I don't like about it it gets 3 stars overall. I've given far less stars for worse writing, the only thing that saves this one is the ...more
Chris
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, violent
This book was a HUGE surprise. I honestly had very low expectations based on both the cover art and the synopsis. The cover art because, while it's a cool looking dragon, it really made me think this was going to be kind of a cheesy young adult styled novel. Then, when I first started, the main character that it started with was a young girl (10 I think). But that whole idea quickly changed around when (view spoiler) ...more
Jean
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As I got this book for free, I'll give an honest review. I found that with so many POVs, it made the beginning of the book confusing and hard to follow. There wasn't any plot twists and I didn't find the build up tense or exciting, if there was a build up.
The reason why I didn't just give this book a one star is because the concept was, I found, fresh and interesting. Maybe there are other books about weredragons, but as I don't usually read these kinds of books, I don't know.
Mary
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot more vivid gore, violence, and ugly in this book than I generally like to read, but my curiosity for where this story was going won out and I stuck it through. I'm not sure that its enough to have me read more though.
Jim Galford
Strange story about weredragons. Very different approach blending weres and dragons. Not convinced it works.
Kevin Potter
Let me start by saying I really did not enjoy the narrator. He is skilled, with a good assortment of voices, but I think his character voice choices were not very good. Particularly the female characters. One of the main characters, who does have a legitimate reason for her voice to sound... Impaired, actually sounds like an adolescent male orc with huge tusks affecting the voice rather than the actual physical explanation.

Okay, story.
I could be wrong, but I believe this is the first book Daniel
Kay
Sep 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: I don't know if I would...
Recommended to Kay by: Daniel Arenson
I honestly don't know how I feel about this book. Requiem's Song was many things, though I'm not sure 'fun' or 'enjoyable' were among them. I actually received this eBook for free after signing up for the author, Daniel Arenson's, mailing list, and I'm a little glad that I didn't spend money on it.

The story predominantly focuses on the rise of Requiem, a tribe composed of people who had been dubbed 'weredragons.' As their name may imply, weredragons are men with the ability to shape-shift into d
Shreya
Oct 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
-One-dimensional characters
-Characters which were not lovable, even the "heroes"
-Weird plot
-Many unnecessary plot elements
-Jumbled writing
-Too many plotlines
-Confusing descriptions

As you can see, I had many problems with this book. I don't think I've ever given a book 1 star before, but there's a first time for everything. If I wanted to compare Requiem's Song to anything, I guess I would say it's like Seraphina, but Seraphina was better executed in a million different ways. Don't read this, rea
thomas roberson
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of: Requiem's Song

I enjoyed the book very much, I usually read mostly Sci-fi, but I have a thing for dragons. Some of the demon acts and descriptions were kinda gross, make sure you have a strong stomach, but the writing is very creative. I probably would have given one more star, but I hate when a writer stops th e story at an exciting event to start the next book. Sorry!
Y.I. Washington
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Start

While I did find the idea of weredragons appealing, and the plot pretty good, I did find the repetition of descriptions of people and places a bit tedious.

I did enjoy Laura's character arc as well as Jeid's. I found Meav to be one dimensional, but I have hope for her character growing in the upcoming books.

And now I am off to read Requiem's Hope.
Liz C
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragons and demons

I read the full story but not sure if I liked it. Too over the top with violence and general nastiness. The characters were like exaggerated cartoon characters, the evil king, the good princess, the wicked queen of the demons, the trying to be a hero boy etc. I am sure lot's of readers will like this though so give it a go, if you like that sort of thing.
Donald H Smith
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writer!

Not a big dragon fan before, but Daniel may have changed that, on to book 2. Hope to enjoy as
Sonjurae Cross
Mar 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful narrator

I would have enjoyed the story much more if the narrator had not over-acted most of the lines. Too bad
KathleenMcQ
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. A page turner with an emotional element. Cant wait to start the next in the series.
gerald morson
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Another great read by Daniel, enjoyed it no end and a great start to Requiem looking forward to the next nook
Caroline
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed this book but as I am not good at reviews thats all I am going to say
Steve Podlaski
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Requiem: Dawn of Dragons (The Complete Trilogy), which has all 3 books of course. I f you going to read the series start with this one.
Amie
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written but just not my type of genre.
Carrie
Read as part of Legends: 15 tales of sword and sorcery
Mnoraznan
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on dragons. The story is a bit dark and grim. However, the pace is good.
Skye Hegyes
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I've had the paperback version of this book forever and enjoyed reading another of Anderson's books (Moth), so I figured I'd give it a go. It was an enjoyable read. There were a couple things that didn't make sense to me, but they were minor and few between. There were also a couple of gag-me-now moments that made bile rise in my throat, but they were necessary to building the main antagonist into who he was and setting us up for the sequel.
Mike Keller
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weredragons, cursed reptiles, dangerous fire breathers, flying monsters, hunted and reviled, burned alive when captured.

New stars appear blazing in the night sky. Forming the shape of a dragon, the constellation Draco is born. With the new stars comes a change, a curse, an evil sickness overcomes many. Hiding in shame, these poor souls gained a foul magic - the ability to transform into monsters, reptiles. They could become . . . Dragons!

Laira and her mother stole into the woods, far enough from
V
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book really started losing me when the writer made such a drawn-out point of a character being starving and weak and small but she was able to ride and control a large, flying mount and shoot an arrow with no training or experience. I gave up at around the 18% mark (of the trilogy, not the book), tired of and bored with all the beatings and injuries and and and.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mark of the Dragon (Mysts of Santerrian, #1)
  • Dragonworld
  • The Scars of Ambition (The Cumerian Unraveling, #1)
  • The Orc of Many Questions (The Tales of Many Orcs, #1)
  • The Dragon's Banner
  • The Year of the Dragon Omnibus Edition (The Year of the Dragon, #1-4)
  • Fractured Earth (The Actuator, #1)
  • The Dragon Done It
  • The Controversial Mayan Queen: Sak K'uk of Palenque (Mists of Palenque #2)
  • Lyon's Legacy  (Catalyst Chronicles, #1)
  • The Pyramid Builders (Lens of Time, #1)
  • Salvage Merc One (Salvage Merc One #1)
  • Purified
  • Arctic Kill (The Executioner, #429)
  • Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons, #1)
  • The Harry Harrison Megapack: 12 Classics of Science Fiction, including ROBOT JUSTICE, DEATHWORLD, and DEATHWORLD II
  • A Red Tale
  • Dawning (Black Earth, #1)
Daniel Arenson is a bookworm, proud geek, and USA Today bestselling author of fantasy and science fiction. His novels have sold over a million copies. The Huffington Post has called his writing "full of soul." He's written over forty novels, most of them in five series:

EARTHRISE — They came from deep space. They came to destroy us. Against the alien onslaught, Earth stands alone. But we will figh

Dawn of Dragons (3 books)
  • Requiem's Hope (Dawn of Dragons Book 2)
  • Requiem's Prayer (Dawn of Dragons, Book 3)